iTutorGroup "native" Reviews | Glassdoor

iTutorGroup Employee Reviews about "native"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"BEWARE! TutorABC and their Fake Reviews"

Current Freelancer - Freelancer in London, England (UK)
    Current Freelancer - Freelancer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at iTutorGroup (More than a year)

Pros

You can pick your own hours and work from home.

Cons

So I used to work for this company some time ago, I'm glad I got out when I did and I check in with them on Glassdoor every now and again just to see how far they've sunk and try to warn others not to waste your time with this company. They treat their teachers horribly, lie to them, blame them for tech issues and find any excuse to underpay you. About 10 months ago they nearly went into administration and had to refinance the company and most disturbingly...they pay teachers according to what country they come from! I heard that at one point they were recruiting teachers from Serbia and paying them £3 an hour!

Seriously folks, do not waste your time working for this company, they do not understand the importance of valuing their teachers and listening to their advice. The material they give you to teach their clients is awful, outdated and inefficient. It appears they are still paying people (probably their in-house staff) to write fake reviews about the company on this website, just read through some of them and ask yourself...does this sound like it was written by a native English speaker who teaches English Language? I'd say the answer is as plain as the nose on my face.

Advice to Management

Find another enterprise and stop writing fake reviews

2. "reviewing"

I have been working at iTutorGroup part-time

Pros

good kids material Oxford, lots of bookings,

Cons

u depend on ratings and feedback, non natives get less , and pay is by country standard calculated. if u are non native with tefl , u arent appreciated for it, even if you have Master degree

"Discrimination!!!"

Pros

The interview process is pretty simple

Cons

My scenario might be different but it still doesn't excuse the fact that after being hired, I was offered a salary of $2 an hour because of my nationality and where I live. English is my native tongue and my country has access to the Internet, computers, headphones and just about the same things as anyone else who does this job from another country so I'm not sure I understand this concept.

Advice to Management

1. Reassess who you consider 'native speakers'. The world is a pretty large place. Open your minds to that fact.

2. Offer a salary that's based on a person's qualifications and not their location or nationality. I passed the interview because I was qualified to do a job. I was then offered $7.5 an hour based on my nationality and an assumption I was living in Japan. Upon clarification that I was no longer living in Japan, I was offered $2 an hour with, "This offer is non-negotiable". This is discrimination and also disrespectful. Who would expect any human being with experience and qualifications to work for $2 an hour. Is it a job or is it charity? Just simply and explicitly state which nationalities you DO NOT hire or rather make it public what salary you offer based on a person's country. That would be more appreciated and also honest.

3. If you decide to hire "non-native" speakers as you call us then let persons know in advance that the possibility exists for them to get paid $2 an hour if they don't reside in a country you consider to be worthy of higher pay. $7.5 is almost tolerable but $2 is an obvious joke.

Your company is a grave disappointment and seems to operate in an extremely unprofessional and outright discriminatory fashion and maybe fixing that should be your number one priority.

4. "Great teaching experience"

Current Freelancer - An English Teacher in Novi Sad (Serbia)
    Current Freelancer - An English Teacher in Novi Sad (Serbia)

I have been working at iTutorGroup (More than 10 years)

Pros

They schedule classes when we ask them, never late with payments, good software and IT support.

Cons

Not same base rates for non-native consultants.

Advice to Management

All skilled consultants with the same results and who are non-native, should have the same base rate. If we do a good job in Serbia, why should we be paid less then those who do not so good job in France for example. We should be paide in accordance to our skills and not to the country of residence.

5. "Great Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belgrade (Serbia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belgrade (Serbia)

I have been working at iTutorGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Working from home and having so much more time for yourself,family,friends,vacations,etc. Overall a much more healthier and happier lifestyle humans are not aware of they could have instead of working a 9-5 job they hate.
    2. The company's website is very easy to use and has so many tutorials on every detail(type of sessions,technology,hours,training,etc)
    3. You don't have to have a fixed schedule and can book a few hours in advance.
    4. They are very understanding when cancelling sessions(hour + prior)
    5. A company where you can actually excel (in obtaining freedom for various types of sessions which will leave your schedule full booked)
    6. Most of the PMIT and schedulers are very kind and willing to help.
    7. The pay is suitable and always on time.

Cons

1. The pay various from country to country you live in, so if you are a native English speaker who is living in a foreign country, your pay will still be the same as a non-natives living in the same country.
    2. I would like to see college English major graduates excel more quickly. There are consultants who can not speak English very well that have the same pay (if not better) then the consultants who are professional experts.
    3. Very slow beginning in this company (almost like in every company your profile and experience has to excel). It took me a few month until I could start living normally off of my paycheck.
    4. Low ratings that are undeserved by students to whom rules have not been explained very well or have very poor connection. Sometimes it seems like the students have more freedom and justice then the teachers.

Advice to Management

1. The pay various from country to country you live in, so if you are a native English speaker who is living in a foreign country, your pay will still be the same as a non-natives.
    People who have a lot of experience,are trained professionals or even college graduates , should have more recognition in such a company. They are of more value and this is just logical.

Jun 20, 2018 – Teacher Support Manager

Thank you for your feedback.

Our new pay structure offers native English speakers a flat, high hourly rate regardless of location. Additionally, this new pay structure is tiered according to... More

"Most Credible Employer"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

They offer equal opportunities to everybody and train you before hiring you. All types of classes are under a bonus scheme.

Cons

They tend to offer different salary scales depending on native, non-native employees and the places where their employees are living.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work . Many more people will give credit to your good work and be those to speak for you in public.

"English Tutor"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at iTutorGroup as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The best thing is that it is easy to be accepted at this company. There is just an interview by recruiter, conversional, and they do not ask you to do demo class, nor ask special questions. Flexible booking hours is also something good. You can erase your booking 24 hours before without any notice. The material are easy , but sometimes note really professional. Student are great too. They show respect to the teacher and are also nice.

Cons

In my experience, working for TutorABC, I did not get a decent salary. I was informed first that I will have the basic rate of 3$, plus bonuses, but than the recruiter said, I am sorry but only 2$ for you, being in this particular country (non native English speaking country). And the bonuses you get from the students if they do not forget to give you a rating, so they are not for certain to have. So, if you have more students and they rate you above 8 you will get more money for that session. This is ideally, but you don't have many clients and also they do not rate you always. With the highest rating I get 5-6 $, usually I got 3 $ per session included the ratings/bonus.
    There are a lot of rules, which keep updating, so you have to follow the rules! The really unfair one is having a last minute class scheduled. So, if your students are missing you might get one in the last minute of entering the class, without preparing the material. I had some sessions like this and receive bad ratings from students, because they notice that you are not prepare for the material, or you are not concentrated. And no extra money for these sessions/ classes.
    The material is sometimes like made from an amateur. Not professional.
    It is also bad that you don't get many booking scheduled, which means there is no chance to have a full time job, and therefor you don't get much money at the end of the month. As much as I tried to have more bookings I earned up to 170 $ per month, which really not worth the time spent. It feel like the company is squeezing your blood sometimes. So, even thought I have bachelor degree, and TESOL this is what I get. So my main complain is the low money you get as much as you try to earn more.

Advice to Management

The stuff s supportive at TutoChat and also when you write them at Comm Center. I want to have back the Tutor app, it was very useful. Also increase the base rating, the consultant/teacher can not earn much and it feel like you are squeezing their blood and not paying them decent money. I don't understand why there is so much discretion not meeting other teachers of the company, not sharing experience, nor using the social media at any point, with teachers or clients. It feels like you are making a prison of a company.

8. "Part time tutor"

Current Employee - Online Tutor in Athens (Greece)
    Current Employee - Online Tutor in Athens (Greece)

I have been working at iTutorGroup part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home, set your own pace, wide variety of lessons (both adult and junior) learn about new culture.

Cons

May not always teach a lesson unless you are on a fixed schedule. Base rate is low for native speakers who may earn more if they are teaching in the US.

Advice to Management

Pleasant company to work for overall.

"Unfair Remuneration"

I have been working at iTutorGroup full-time

Pros

Great company to work for. Work around your schedule. Nice people to work with. Lesson plan is prepared for you.

Cons

I am a native speaker from the US. I have a masters degree in education, TESOL certification, and years of experience, yet, I only make $7.50 per class. You get a bonus when students are in a good mood and decide to give you a grade. I am very frustrated and right now contemplating resigning because I have recommended two persons for this job. They have no college degree or experience, and I have learned that both persons are making more money than me. I have just finished teaching two large junior classes and none of the students rated me. I have 11 reports to write and I will only receive $7.50 for each class. One of the friends that I recommended has just told me that she received $15 for a 30mins JR class while I will only receive 7.50 for 45mins class. Another person has posted here on Glassdoor that under the new system, he or she has received an increase. What is going on? I am averaging an overall rating of 9.6, which means I am doing a really good job, and I have not benefited from any of these increases.

Advice to Management

What are you doing? Shouldn't people be compensated for the length of time they have spent with your company as well as their performance? Are you trying to tell qualified and highly effective teachers like myself that you are not in need of our service?

Feb 6, 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for the feedback and all the effort you have put into our company. We are constantly improving our pay structure so we can reward good consultants.

"A pretty unfair place to work."

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at iTutorGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Work from home.
    -You can travel and work.
    -You will get paid when students don't come to class.
    -I have been paid on time every single month for almost two years.
    -A Stand-by system that is actually better than it used to be. On certain hours you will have the choice to respond to a call in.
    -Usually easy (albeit mind-numbingly repetitive) work.
    -You can schedule sessions 24 hours a day.

Cons

ATTENTION TO ALL: They are using two names on this site. one as 'TutorABC' (seemingly honest reviews) and this name aswell, 'iTutorgroup' read the reviews from both names first and decide for yourself if they all appear honest. You may be very surprised. Completely unacceptable.

-New employees are offered a rate far worse than I accepted in Early 2015. A friend of mine works for 40 Mexican pesos. My pay is $7.50 USD, which isn't amazing, but It is almost triple the amount that they are paying her, for the same amount of work. They are paying newer consultants less and less. I am a native English speaker with no previous teaching experience and no college degree. I am good at my job, I maintain good ratings, but I do not have years of training. I only say this because another friend of mine does have a college degree, and years of English teaching experience. He is not a native. What was this Teacher offered? 40 Pesos.

-TutorABC does not and will not give you a pay rise. You will never get a raise, ever. Try if you want to. Even after years you will not so much as be considered. They will offer you a variety of different working opportunities. Some of them pay better, but they are all based on that original base rate that you accepted in the interview process.

-The work schedule is not as flexible as they claim. They are changing requirements so that you must work peak hours during the weekends. Watch this space, the company is changing for the worse and I predict that more will be forced to work weekends, but we will see. I am still here for now.

-Children. Children whose parents have booked sessions for them at 09:30 PM in Taiwan/China. They are a nightmare and they have almost always been at school for 12 hours, this is how their day ends. You can imagine how enthusiastic they are. Not all children are horrific, but the majority are not interested because...

- (Mostly) boring lesson material. Most people don't want to learn about parking laws in the USA. Show me one child who wants to learn the name of each piece of outdoor furniture found around the house.... Come on man...

-Classrooms with 6 students in them.

-A broken rating system that I'm sure you've read about at this point.

-No workers union or communication between teachers.

Advice to Management

Do not use two different areas on this site. I see many dishonest reviews that do not address very real injustices that happen in this company. Listen to your workers.

Dec 22, 2016 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you so much for your comments. We truly appreciate your time to write this detailed review. We are relentlessly trying to transform our consultant service system and to provide our teachers... More