icuc.social Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 15, 2018

2.3
Keith Bilous

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Being able to work from home with flexible hours, and a decent amount of room for growth" (in 40 reviews)

• "remote environment, work from anywhere" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Can be repetitive especially for Content Specialists, low pay (varies according to your state/province minimum wage, which may seem unfair)" (in 9 reviews)

• "They claim to have work/life balance but lower level employees don't have the ability to enjoy that whereas upper management can" (in 7 reviews)

"Amazing company for motivated individuals!"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at icuc.social full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Chance for advancement
    Coworkers
    Work from home
    Flexibility
    Amazing Clients

Here's the thing - I see these people complaining on here, and I can guarantee they've been passed up for promotion or are not 'getting what they want' in some capacity.

It's much easier to blame others than to take responsibility. I came into this company as an hourly moderator and have climbed the ladder based on my own merits, hard work, and shining moments. So too can everyone who works here if they put the time and effort in, like anything in life. So don't listen to that nonsense unless you want things handed to you - if that's the case, yes - run.

Cons

Because you work from home, there are times it's harder to step away from work - which is barely a con since I love what I do!

Advice to Management

Continue to find motivated, self starters and grow them as you have been. Keep making wise business decisions that will ensure the longevity of the company. Those of us who get it, appreciate it.

"thankless job"

Current Employee - Content Specialist in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Content Specialist in Remote, OR

I have been working at icuc.social full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

work from home that's pretty much it

Cons

How about some raises?

I'm sick and tired of having to fill out your stupid surveys! Always asking for feedback but never doing anything with it.
    Well here's some feedback for you perhaps this will get your attention.

We get it profit and all that but most of us have earned a raise. You just don't give a damn about your people, that's what's up!
    Start charging your clients proper amounts, stop undercutting and *hope* for continued business. What is this amateur hour?

And sort out your people. Get some real professionals in house. I'm tired in dealing with condescending, uneducated coordinators and quality teams.
    I swear the next yes.ma'am that talks down to me without a good reason I will file a complaint against.
    I highly doubt you'll do anything about it anyway which we're all used to by now, believe me. We'll just have to take it to Glassdoor and onto the public domain instead.

How's this for a mover and shaker?

"I actually feel sorry for the brands that they bilk out of millions"

Former Employee - Content Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Content Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at icuc.social full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Technology wise this company is on point. That's about the only pro I can come up with.

Cons

I left this company and do social media management for customers directly so I am happy to have gained some experience with them, however this company is definitely a sinking ship. They treat their employees HORRIBLY and the management team (middle management) is a joke. Way too many middle managers trying to rationalize their jobs by having their thumb on the workforce that actually monitors and engages on behalf of clients. They really need to clean house because the management staff is made up of men and women who act like they're in a high school click. You know, the "cool kids". It's just very weird and quite unprofessional. If you work there, make your stay short, because there's no reason to stay. Wages are low, benefits are okay, corporate culture is horrible. This isn't a job you'll want to grow in if you are a professional that takes your job seriously.

Advice to Management

My advice is to the CEO: Clean House. Your Middle Management Team is horrible. I'm not a disgruntled employee. I left on great terms. I now work for myself and make 5X what I made at ICUC and work about 20% less.

"Company is a sinking ship"

Former Employee - Content Specialist in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Content Specialist in Boston, MA

I worked at icuc.social part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working from home
    They try to offer good benefits but this only applies to Canadian or American employees.

Cons

This company is in such disarray I don't know where to begin.
    When I started they had just been bought out from Dentsu Aegis. Over the months since I started I noticed people were getting let go left and right. Clients were also leaving at an alarming rate. I knew it was a drowning ship since the beginning. Other employees and even Management were all concerned yet upper management assured us we were fine. I kept on in hopes they were right and that I could grow in the company within time.
    I noticed that management and other employees were working above and beyond what they should be doing for low pay, they barely took vacations and even when they did they were still working!! And those people who cared and worked hard barely got any recognition other than a shout out on Google+. The platform they use to moderate comments is outdated and has too many errors causing inefficiency which is surprising since the large team working on it. They outsource a lot of positions to people who can barely speak English and the entire team gets grilled if someone makes a mistake on a client. The job is banal, high stress, and does not promote work life balance other than being able to work in the comfort of your own home. Getting time off for anything is a pain, and resources/schedule department keeps getting smaller and smaller and they make more and more mistakes.

Advice to Management

This company is a sinking ship and needs an entire overhaul if they want to stay in the social media marketing game, they need to change a lot. They need to get rid of some upper management, they focus so much on cutting costs below that the big ones at the top who don't do the grunt work probably get fat paychecks for doing barely any work. They spend money on trips to meet clients across the world yet cut costs on moderators and just don't understand the basic work. I think they need an entire new moderation tool as the one they use is inferior to other companies and makes too many mistakes which costs clients. They increase costs on clients but don't give raises for good work or good employees.

"Don't waste your time"

Former Employee - Content Specialist in Remote, OR

I worked at icuc.social part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home, know folks from all over the world

Cons

- Lack of long term vision - organisational changes every 6 months or so
    - Very heavy structure, tons of VP, Sr VP and the likes. So many position that you have no idea what they are doing.
    - No support for middle-management: they are asked to operate at the lowest cost possible to the detriment of their client and low-level employees.
    - Middle-management isn't trained properly about working laws in Canada/US. They take decision that can be challenged in court at a high cost for the company (again, short term vision and planning)
    _ Evaluation system that is a joke: they ask you to auto-evaluate but then disregard it and give you a "note" without justification or meeting.
    - A serious lack of communication and transparency: I've seen knowing about a supervisor quitting more than 2 weeks AFTER they were gone! When you ask questions you are given canned response. And that happens all the time, about everything.
    - Low-level employees are inequally treated: some folks who were doing a very good job had to wait for minimum wages adjustment to get a little something. There are some who are obviously favorites: they get the best hours and raises.
    - They use you until they don't need you.
    - The training is inadequate - you are set up for failure.
    - They are losing clients after clients. They cannot give a 5 stars service when they have a 1 star operation.

Advice to Management

- Get a vision and stick with it. - Get rid of Bileous, he is weighing you down. - Dentsu Aegis should really step in and review all systems. - Stop pretending that you are nothing but a low-cost moderating company. At least at CS level, you operate a sweat shop.

And special message to Bileous: you've always bragged about "one day they'll write books about ICUC". Be careful what you wish for: not sure what will be written will be positive. It will be more like "ICUC: Wasted opportunities"

"Lots of Bait + Switch with ZERO training"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Remote, OR

I worked at icuc.social full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some really decent people.
    Remote work
    Fun Clients

Cons

Horrible management
    Low Pay
    Childish behavior
    Bad mouthing everyone behind their back
    No training
    No clear cut expectations- they want you to fail
    If you don’t want to work 12 hours a day you are not a “mover or a shaker”
    Accuse workers of stealing clients
    Management takes zero % ownership of mistakes
    They fire at whim
    Horribly disorganized
    Management clearly plays favorites with no reason
    They CEO seems like a piece of work
    Heavy turnover rate of employees

Advice to Management

Start holding yourself accountable for the failures of your team. Start offering training instead pink slips.

"I would pass up this company"

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at icuc.social full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to meet people from all over the world, great co-workers and a chance to work with amazing brands

Cons

I worked in management for ICUC. As the company grew they struggled with trying to find a business model that worked. The company re-organized itself multiple times. As many as once every year for 3 years. Your management would change as often as the wind blew. It was not uncommon for the content specialists to be more knowledgeable (if not solely) on projects than the manager.

As the work came in and the finances grew they were not being distributed to the content specialists or to management. The profits were going to upper management (CEO, VP etc) As a result we were forced to put new projects on already strained shifts. As management, we would beg and plead for new shifts to be made because the current shifts were overloaded and struggling. Those suggestions were ignored. Over time content specialists were overwhelmed, disillusioned and frustrated. They are being paid minimum wage for 8-hour shifts where they have to schedule bathroom breaks. As management, we would have to step in frequently and help out to ensure the client needs were being met. The clients' needs would be met if the shifts were not over capacity.

As Management our orders were to be available 24/7. This meant through the day and night including weekends. There were months where I would not get more than a few hours of sleep at a time because I was the only person to answer questions or hop in during peak content times. Our pay was just over minimum wage but as salaried employees that pay is only for 40 hours. Working an 80 hour work week is far from unheard of. This results in management being disillusioned, overwhelmed and frustrated. Processes would change monthly. One month you were responsible for A, B, and C but the next month they would ask instead for you to focus on D, E and F. When the next month rolls around they ask you why you didn't focus on A, B and C. Our rules and processes were totally disorganized.

Meanwhile, upper management posts to social media their house remodels, the fun concerts they were going to and company retreats. It was hard to swallow when you were working 80 hours a week, paid around 30 grand a year and struggled to get by. You were giving your heart and soul and reaping no rewards just constant criticisms. There was a program that was aimed at trying to "call out" people who went above and beyond but failed to recognize that the same person calling you out was the same one telling you how terrible you were at your job the day before.

This is a company that grew too fast and due to the inexperience of upper management has no idea how to manage that growth.

Advice to Management

Put your money, time and thought into the people who are really keeping the company afloat. Your managers and content specialists. They deserve far more than how they are treated. When a client comes to you and raves about the company it is NOT due to the powerpoint account reviews. It's due to your content specialists working tirelessly, most of the time without praise, to ensure the client needs are met. It's due to the manager hopping in and working through the night to ensure that everything is going well. You cannot keep firing and reorganizing. Your staff is stressed, Your staff is overwhelmed. You are losing your key performers. Focus where it matters.

"Not impressed"

Former Employee - Content Specialist in Remote, OR

I worked at icuc.social full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

work in pajamas and in the comfort of your home.

Cons

Poor management, discrimination and favoritism. I also don't like the fact that they will lie telling you to wait for when a new project will be available but instead they terminate you without any notice.

Advice to Management

Needs to stop hiring new employees if they terminate them in a few months without a reason.

"ICUC used to be great, with tons of growth, but now the company is quickly going backwards"

I worked at icuc.social full-time

Pros

- Flexible job for quick cash (low cash).
    - Great opportunity to gain job experience.
    - Some employees are amazing and great to work with.
    - Flexible, work from home opportunities.

Cons

- Constant re-orgs within the company (every 6 months), with each re-org senior leadership (C-Level) declaring it will be the last, until 6 months later.
    - Senior leadership (C-Level) has no understanding of the day-to-day and is out of touch.
    - Senior leadership (C-Level) does not provide tools needed to achieve customer success. Managers and Directors are left to try and do the best they can, with limited resources, but then quickly blamed when clients are unhappy or cancel services.
    - Lack of transparency.
    - Lots of unnecessary positions within the company, and limited support for the front line employees.
    - Constant fear of your job changing or being eliminated.
    - Double standards depending which department you work in.
    - The best employees and leaders have left or are leaving the company.

Advice to Management

- Either actually care, or stop pretending to care.
    - CEO needs to open his eyes, and recognize where the problems are, or the business will never be sustainable.

"TERRIBLE COMPANY"

I worked at icuc.social full-time

Pros

Remote work
    Great Clients
    SOME employees are great

Cons

Management is a joke. They don't care about anyone other than themselves and other senior staff.
    They underpay their staff despite not having a brick and mortar. They even use the excuse that by not having a brick and mortar constitutes the lower wage.
    They claim to have work/life balance but lower level employees don't have the ability to enjoy that whereas upper management can.
    They do not treat people with kindness or respect.
    They gossip about other staff members constantly.
    There is a lot of favoritism.
    Management team belittles workers.
    This entire company is a joke and a huge waste of time.

Example: I was promoted to a senior level position. Not even halfway through my training for that position, I lost my mentor. That said, I was left in the water to sink. No one provided any support, resources, ANYTHING to help me succeed. I was truly set up for failure. Positive note, I work for a much better company now that cares about their employees. They focus on strengths and truly dedicate time to growth and development. You won't find that support at ICUC.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff, no matter their title. Compensate your workers fairly. Just because senior level staff earns enough to make a living, lower level employees do not. Have compassion and care for your people. Crete a better internal training program so internal staff can grow and climb the ladder. Instead of focusing on weaknesses in a worker, focus on their strengths and build off that. Ultimately, this company needs to focus on their people, specifically their lower level workers.