id Software Reviews | Glassdoor

id Software Reviews

3.9
Robert A. Altman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"About as good as it gets"

Current Employee - Senior Level Designer in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Level Designer in Richardson, TX

I have been working at id Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

id is a breath of fresh air after nearly a decade wasted at major publisher and being subject to the idiotic decisions of executives far removed from the development process.

Decisions on the project are made in house by people who've earned their right to make them - both the CD and EP are extremely passionate about making the best possible game that we can. There's no aspirations here to make an interactive movie, no outside execs to swoop in and put their BFF's in charge of ruining the project, no higher ups who haven't played a video game in years - for the first time in forever I can trust that the guys running this show know what they're doing and are committed to making a great GAME (not a movie, not an 'experience', a game)

The talent making the game is world class, everyone is extremely professional and easy going and there's none of the issues the older reviews claim were problems. I just wish I'd come here years ago when I first had the opportunity and didn't waste so much time at a corporate giant.

Dallas isn't as cheap as it used to be but it's a nice, clean, safe city and I can't complain about the compensation which is more than fair.

Cons

The only downside is the tools are still being modernized and while extremely fast in some areas are lacking in others. Don't expect Unreal 4.x functionality but this is an area that's being actively improved on as a high priority.

"One of the best in the industry, great publisher too"

Former Employee - Senior Designer in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in Richardson, TX

I worked at id Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing talent in this studio, which pulled off an amazing feat with DOOM 2016 that no one expected. Everyone there loves the id IPs and most got their start with them back in the '90s. Doom 2016 felt more like experienced devs putting together their love-letter to the brand that started it all. Future is VERY bright now that this team has made DOOM together.

Cons

Bonuses and salary aren't nearly what they used to be in the id old days, but understandable considering the team sizes required now. A bit of corporate culture creep after the Zenimax buyout (annoying security protocols, etc.), but they trust id and get out of the way when needed (and support when needed). All in all, they are a great fit.

Advice to Management

Keep on Keeping on! Marty and Hugo are great leaders!

"Future looks bright"

Former Employee - Artist in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Artist in Richardson, TX

I worked at id Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome projects to work on.
    Good Salary for the location.
    Very talented team.
    idtech is back!

Cons

Just two things...
    1 Texas/Dallas...
    2 Zenimax speed a bit up please!

Advice to Management

Please don't wait to long till you make decision and don't make promises you can't keep.
    Otherwise, keep doing. Love the producer team!

"Used To Be Legendary"

I worked at id Software full-time

Pros

Used to have top-notch talent, before Zenimax acquisition and before Doom team. Back when the whole studio was under 50 people.

Cons

Hiring of mediocracy. Not rewarding true talent and long hours. Unkept promises for old timers related to after acquisition.

"Quality Assurance"

Pros

Take good care of employees

Cons

Delusional about the product they are creating

"Temporary Play Tester"

Pros

From my very brief time, it seemed like everything I hoped for in a game company. The people I worked under were super friendly and were willing to help those who wanted a career there, and everyone seemed very passionate about what they did. It was a fun working experience and I would definitely recommend this job for anyone looking to break into the industry.

Cons

Nothing that I could really think of.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. You really stuck your neck out for future employees which is incredibly respectable.

"Associate Concept Artist"

Current Employee - Associate Concept Artist in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Concept Artist in Plano, TX

I have been working at id Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Keeping this short for now, but Its been a blast to work here. We have a new team that is incredibly talented and motivated. Openness to ideas is surprisingly good too. I think we are well on our way to becoming something absolutely awesome.

Cons

With the new team, there are some growing pains. Finding the processes and becoming an efficient team took some time and determination. Now, I would say we are solidifying those bonds and its really working out great!

"id is back!!"

I have been working at id Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I know id had difficult time recently, however I can say that all the negativity is gone now.
    All we care about now is making Doom with positive energy and moving forward.
    Managers and directors are really trying hard to make the company better than ever,
    and treat and educate the employees, so it's really a good place for artists to be grow.
    They don't just tell what to do, instead they ask individual opinion.
    Artist team is very open minded with great leadership by art director and leads.
    They care about making a great game with their passions and dedications everyday.
    New HR is just awesome. She cares and treat other coworker as family or friends.
    I know that most of talents didn't want to come to id before because of bad reviews or rumors recently,
    but it's in changing state now, and we are eager to find passionate and talented developers to make Doom.

Cons

It takes freaking long time to request and get anything like software or equipment.

Advice to Management

please keep the momentum going!!

"Great company, great project, amazingly talented team."

Current Employee - Senior QA Tester in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Senior QA Tester in Richardson, TX

I have been working at id Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great technology, awesome projects, and talented team.

Cons

No real cons to working there.

"An exciting time to be part of this legendary studio."

I have been working at id Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

id is full of people that are exceptionally great at what they do. There's a desire for quality here that is unmatched. Working here has definitely pushed me and made me into a better artist. Zenimax is a great company to work for; it really does feel like you're part of a big family of world class studios. The benefits are great, and the yearly bonuses are surprisingly very generous. Talent and hard work is rewarded appropriately. I can think of multiple people here that started as interns and years later are now in senior positions. It's fantastic to work for a company that is paying attention to your hard work and wants to reward you accordingly for it, maybe before you even think you deserve it.

The technology here is still top notch, living up to id's reputation in engine programming. As an artist, it's great to see so much collaboration to tailor the engine to our needs.

The studio culture here is a huge plus for me as well. I was coming from a much smaller studio, so I wasn't sure what to expect with 100+ developers, but it's been great. There's still a big sense of studio collaboration between all disciplines, and it really feels like we all have the same goal in mind. The game is coming along beautifully, and the studio-wide tournaments have been a blast. One of the cool things we do here is the last day of the month we have a sprint review, and each department presents what they've accomplished over the past four weeks. Afterwards we have lunch and "stay and play" for the rest of the day. It's our chance have fun and play any games we want. Strangely enough, a lot of us end up still only playing our game! I know we're onto something great here, because it's all I want to play lately.

Cons

Unfortunately the public view of id right now is not great. Admittedly, id has recently gone through a rough patch. I was fortunate enough to join id after some major shifts in management/employees, and things are definitely on the rise here. The people here that stuck it out through the bad times tell me it's been a complete transformation of the studio culture, for the better. It's sad to see the public opinion of id still so low, but we all know that it's going to be changing soon. Watch out, because id is back!