inContact Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
inContact President, CEO, and Director Paul Jarman
Paul Jarman

Pros
  • They're very flexible with remote working too - I work from home two days a week and there are some teams that work 3 (in 12 reviews)

• Company cares about employees (HR feedback has been taken seriously and resulted in company changes) as well a great atmosphere with great people (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management either doesn't listen or doesn't care (in 13 reviews)

• Work-life balance isn't great, but impossible to find a sales job that is (in 6 reviews)

1. "Unsure about future"

I have been working at inContact full-time

Pros

It has been a great place to work.

Cons

Very difficult time since the acquisition .

Advice to Management

Fiure out where we are headed.

2. "One of the better places I've worked at"

Current Employee - Systems in Sandy, UT
    Current Employee - Systems in Sandy, UT

I have been working at inContact full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and great co-workers.

I feel as if I am valued, and treated like I matter and my individual contributions can make a big impact on the company as a whole. This feeling applies from the CEO downwards. Granted there are challenges and no one is perfect, but I truly feel like my efforts are appreciated and recognized.

Cons

Very slow to change core procedure and policies to improve and streamline deployments (systems, code, application, etc.). Need to better utilize standardize tools to improve efficiency and compliance.

Some of the upper management tends to be much more reactionary than proactive which leads to issues with capacity planning, and future proofing. This issue has been noted by some levels and steps have been made to better align the different groups with more "appropriate" leaders for their function.

Health, Vacation, and Salary are a little weak as compared to other employers in the valley and in the industry.

Advice to Management

To really take us to the next level, there needs to be a very heavy, top-down approach to embracing new technology and methodologies. It feels very much like "it ain't broke, so don't fix it" kind of mentality from the Executive Management teams. The old ways of doing things no longer work and we are falling further and further behind the curve in terms of adopting the new standards.

Address the core compensation packages as mentioned above, to help attract and retain the top people.

3. "Network Engineer"

Current Employee - Network Engineer
    Current Employee - Network Engineer

I have been working at inContact full-time

Pros

A very rare opportunity that allows one to grow their skills on multiple vendors and systems in terms of Network infrastructure - one is exposed to route/switching, firewalls & load balancers.

Cons

A fast paced environment, if you are a traditional tech guy & not customer centric- this may not be the gig for you.

5. "Sales is a great place to be!"

I have been working at inContact full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great compensation, fun people, lots of free lunches, and lots of competitions for prizes, mentoring. The sales model favors buyer's model which leads to better ethics on the salesfloor. Middle management is approachable and works to protect ALL of their employees. Ethics are incredibly important to management (even work ethic an often forgotten ethic). Tools to do the job are evaluated frequently for effectiveness and efficiency. If you aren't successful right away,patience and care is taken in attempt to save your job. EVERYONE is held to a high standard of ethics and achievement.

Cons

Work-life balance isn't great, but impossible to find a sales job that is. NICE adjusted budgets following acquisition, but only for menial perks. Sales Operations cares only for partner channels. Disparate communication between sales, sales operations (which is supposed to be monitoring ethics),and marketing. Marketing, customer service, sales operations, and sales should be able to work well together and are often at odds with each other.

Advice to Management

Find a way for sales operations to bond with ALL sales channels and teams, (rather than favoring one channel over others). Continue efforts for sales and marketing to have open interactions and work together. Hold ALL people accountable for doing their jobs, not just from a quota perspective, but from an operational perspective as well. Continue to innovate on ways to enforce ethical behavior from sales development through DSM's.

6. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Knowledge Manager in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Knowledge Manager in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at inContact full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Growing company with lots of opportunities, great work life balance, leadership position in our market, and most importantly amazing people to work with!

Cons

Things are a little bumpy now that we have been acquired by NICE, but the acquisition is actually going quite smoothly.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Gotten Too Big Too Cool"

I worked at inContact full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome job building company in last 10 year to a Gartner fav; Great business model from a Channel Partner perspective; technology is a 7 on a 1-10; most of the team are fantastic to work with; probably have a 18-24 month run before..................

Cons

Sr. Management is all about them; short term thinking now; will allow one terrible manager push out good people that worked hard to build..............

Advice to Management

Get your check and go..............

"HR responses are a joke"

I worked at inContact full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A strong sense of camaraderie with your fellow workers through mutual trauma

Cons

The responses by HR here are such a joke, I finally had to add my own review. HR likes to say the company has been "rich with change". That perfectly sums up one of the biggest problems at inContact. The Sr. management and HR like to delude themselves with this idea, when in fact, nothing has changed about the company culture and practices in the past decade, AND THAT'S THE PROBLEM! The company never shed its nepotistic, 'do what I say, not what I do' attitude from before the IPO. Pat yourselves on the back for your 'industry setting' growth, when it was never meant to be sustainable. The plan was always to con the investors and shareholders long enough to inflate the company's value in the market to sell right before the bubble burst. This was all done at the expense of employees that so desperately wanted to believe in it. If you want to promote your growth, why don't you also give us some numbers on your turnover rates? Because you were sure concerned about that prior to the acquisition. But again, nothing was done to address the core issue of incompetent management, they just tried to fluff up the edges to have a story to sell to their employees about how the culture is 'changing' to be more transparent and inclusive. Good for you to solicit enough 5 star reviews of no substance to keep barely above that 3 star overall level though. Surprised there are still people out there that believe the lies.

Advice to Management

NICE - just pay out the executives you need to in order to get the cancer out. We know you are scrambling to figure out how to save this business as their competitors are eating your lunch. Ripping the bandage off is the best way to go. The employees can handle it as they have already been surfing with a lack of management for years.

9. "Good company"

I have been working at inContact full-time

Pros

Work from home. Not micro-managed.

Cons

Information and process documentation is hard to find.. It is scattered across many resources.

Advice to Management

Consolidate information resources and tools.

inContact Response

Feb 22, 2017 – Manager Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your candid review. We agree process is something we are getting better at, thank goodness for the new Knowledge Bank. We have high expectations for condensing information into on ... More

"Lame, Lame, Lame"

Former Employee - Cool in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Cool in Sandy, UT

I worked at inContact full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get paid, new office space, good coworkers -- the normal stuff

Cons

Very weak management, not a leader among them. They need a CFO that understands numbers and business.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to employees ... especially in what you think are tricky ways!

"Every day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my career."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sandy, UT

I worked at inContact full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Free soda.

* "Work from home" on Wednesdays. Office life too much for you? Have non-work things to do around the house? Work from home!

* Stick around long enough and you'll be promoted. Promotions and raises seem to be primarily based on tenure and the company seems desperate for people, so just do the bare minimum and get paid, it's what most people do.

* Near impossible to be let go. And if you finally are let go, you'll get a large severance package and probably be brought back on as a consultant a couple months later.

Cons

* Engineering is like a war zone. People are leaving left and right. "We are so screwed" is the constant mantra.

* Development is maybe being shipped off to India? It's hard to know exactly, because the facts seem to change daily. Management told us that our project is safe and will continue to be developed in-house. They told us a couple days later that our project would be handled in Pune but we would supervise it. Now it is back to us working on it. Another team's main project was just recently put on hold indefinitely.

* Everything is top priority. Off the top of my head I can think of at least four very large initiatives that are all priority one for this quarter. Oh and now we also have to somehow put those aside and work on some top priority integrations with our new parent company. The deadlines never change, more features just keep being added.

* Upper management either doesn't listen or doesn't care. We were told that our focus for this quarter/release would be one large feature, "A". Engineering clarified to make sure that "A" really meant "A" and we were assured by management that this was the case. Half-way into the development cycle, we suddenly find out that "A" really means "A, B, and C," each of which could easily take up an entire development cycle. Management assures us that this was always the case and obviously this is what they meant by "A" the entire time. We suddenly have triple the work with the same fixed deadlines and a strongly suggested to work nights and weekends to get the work done because it's what we have agreed to.

* Management suddenly decided that engineering needs to demo a large new feature to our parent company in one month. This feature has never even been on our radar; we've been too busy working on "A, B, and C" above. Product assures us that we can control what we will demo. Days later, product decides for us what it is that we will demo. We are told "this date was agreed upon by your managers six months ago."

* Bugs are out of control. As you can imagine, adding more work with fixed deadlines and resources means rushing through development with lots of bugs. This also leads into a lack of ownership across products and internal projects. With everyone rushing and the bug count rising, nobody wants to admit ownership to anything. Every bug belongs to some other team because our team already has too many bugs to deal with.

* QA cares solely about meeting their numbers. Ideally, this would mean that they would be motivated to find bugs and write proper test cases. In practice, it means that people on QA write as many bugs as they can, duplicates abound. It also means that they write test cases that test literally nothing. As long as the test "passes," it counts, so there are many "green circle" tests that provide zero value.

* The building is well beyond capacity less than a year after being built. It was beyond capacity six months ago even. We were told that we would gain access to the second tower once construction finished there. After we were acquired, we learned that we would not be moving into the second tower. Some teams' desks were moved into break areas due to the lack of space.

Advice to Management

I know that management reads these reviews, but I honestly don't think that there are any useful takeaways for management here. We hear that we "need to fix these negative reviews" but it's always just lip service. Upper management either doesn't listen, doesn't care, or is just incompetent. They'll send out another survey asking how they can improve and then cherry-pick the simplest or cheapest things and tell us it's what we wanted.

The biggest problem, in my perhaps naive view, is Paul Jarman.

It feels like Paul goes out selling and promising myriad features to customers without ever consulting any of the people that will actually have to build these features. That, and he has some seriously tight goals to make for his golden parachute clauses with our parent company, because he's doing his very best to burn down the company as long as he can demo things to customers and Nice.

But it's his company so there's really no way that problem will ever be solved. At least until his golden parachute clause ends in a few years and he leaves on his own.

The other major problem is the gross incompetence in upper management. Hundreds of thousands of dollars in gift cards given out by managers, being used to supplement income because of bad raises, and without the CFO even knowing? You're better off finding an entirely new executive team altogether. But again, all of the people in power positions have golden parachute clauses with the parent company, so they're only concerned about themselves.