inContact Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
inContact President, CEO, and Director Paul Jarman
Paul Jarman

Pros
  • They're very flexible with remote working too - I work from home two days a week and there are some teams that work 3 (in 12 reviews)

• Company cares about employees (HR feedback has been taken seriously and resulted in company changes) as well a great atmosphere with great people (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management either doesn't listen or doesn't care (in 13 reviews)

• Work-life balance isn't great, but impossible to find a sales job that is (in 6 reviews)

"HR responses are a joke"

I worked at inContact full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A strong sense of camaraderie with your fellow workers through mutual trauma

Cons

The responses by HR here are such a joke, I finally had to add my own review. HR likes to say the company has been "rich with change". That perfectly sums up one of the biggest problems at inContact. The Sr. management and HR like to delude themselves with this idea, when in fact, nothing has changed about the company culture and practices in the past decade, AND THAT'S THE PROBLEM! The company never shed its nepotistic, 'do what I say, not what I do' attitude from before the IPO. Pat yourselves on the back for your 'industry setting' growth, when it was never meant to be sustainable. The plan was always to con the investors and shareholders long enough to inflate the company's value in the market to sell right before the bubble burst. This was all done at the expense of employees that so desperately wanted to believe in it. If you want to promote your growth, why don't you also give us some numbers on your turnover rates? Because you were sure concerned about that prior to the acquisition. But again, nothing was done to address the core issue of incompetent management, they just tried to fluff up the edges to have a story to sell to their employees about how the culture is 'changing' to be more transparent and inclusive. Good for you to solicit enough 5 star reviews of no substance to keep barely above that 3 star overall level though. Surprised there are still people out there that believe the lies.

Advice to Management

NICE - just pay out the executives you need to in order to get the cancer out. We know you are scrambling to figure out how to save this business as their competitors are eating your lunch. Ripping the bandage off is the best way to go. The employees can handle it as they have already been surfing with a lack of management for years.

"Lame, Lame, Lame"

Former Employee - Cool in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Cool in Sandy, UT

I worked at inContact full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get paid, new office space, good coworkers -- the normal stuff

Cons

Very weak management, not a leader among them. They need a CFO that understands numbers and business.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to employees ... especially in what you think are tricky ways!

"Every day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my career."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sandy, UT

I worked at inContact full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Free soda.

* "Work from home" on Wednesdays. Office life too much for you? Have non-work things to do around the house? Work from home!

* Stick around long enough and you'll be promoted. Promotions and raises seem to be primarily based on tenure and the company seems desperate for people, so just do the bare minimum and get paid, it's what most people do.

* Near impossible to be let go. And if you finally are let go, you'll get a large severance package and probably be brought back on as a consultant a couple months later.

Cons

* Engineering is like a war zone. People are leaving left and right. "We are so screwed" is the constant mantra.

* Development is maybe being shipped off to India? It's hard to know exactly, because the facts seem to change daily. Management told us that our project is safe and will continue to be developed in-house. They told us a couple days later that our project would be handled in Pune but we would supervise it. Now it is back to us working on it. Another team's main project was just recently put on hold indefinitely.

* Everything is top priority. Off the top of my head I can think of at least four very large initiatives that are all priority one for this quarter. Oh and now we also have to somehow put those aside and work on some top priority integrations with our new parent company. The deadlines never change, more features just keep being added.

* Upper management either doesn't listen or doesn't care. We were told that our focus for this quarter/release would be one large feature, "A". Engineering clarified to make sure that "A" really meant "A" and we were assured by management that this was the case. Half-way into the development cycle, we suddenly find out that "A" really means "A, B, and C," each of which could easily take up an entire development cycle. Management assures us that this was always the case and obviously this is what they meant by "A" the entire time. We suddenly have triple the work with the same fixed deadlines and a strongly suggested to work nights and weekends to get the work done because it's what we have agreed to.

* Management suddenly decided that engineering needs to demo a large new feature to our parent company in one month. This feature has never even been on our radar; we've been too busy working on "A, B, and C" above. Product assures us that we can control what we will demo. Days later, product decides for us what it is that we will demo. We are told "this date was agreed upon by your managers six months ago."

* Bugs are out of control. As you can imagine, adding more work with fixed deadlines and resources means rushing through development with lots of bugs. This also leads into a lack of ownership across products and internal projects. With everyone rushing and the bug count rising, nobody wants to admit ownership to anything. Every bug belongs to some other team because our team already has too many bugs to deal with.

* QA cares solely about meeting their numbers. Ideally, this would mean that they would be motivated to find bugs and write proper test cases. In practice, it means that people on QA write as many bugs as they can, duplicates abound. It also means that they write test cases that test literally nothing. As long as the test "passes," it counts, so there are many "green circle" tests that provide zero value.

* The building is well beyond capacity less than a year after being built. It was beyond capacity six months ago even. We were told that we would gain access to the second tower once construction finished there. After we were acquired, we learned that we would not be moving into the second tower. Some teams' desks were moved into break areas due to the lack of space.

Advice to Management

I know that management reads these reviews, but I honestly don't think that there are any useful takeaways for management here. We hear that we "need to fix these negative reviews" but it's always just lip service. Upper management either doesn't listen, doesn't care, or is just incompetent. They'll send out another survey asking how they can improve and then cherry-pick the simplest or cheapest things and tell us it's what we wanted.

The biggest problem, in my perhaps naive view, is Paul Jarman.

It feels like Paul goes out selling and promising myriad features to customers without ever consulting any of the people that will actually have to build these features. That, and he has some seriously tight goals to make for his golden parachute clauses with our parent company, because he's doing his very best to burn down the company as long as he can demo things to customers and Nice.

But it's his company so there's really no way that problem will ever be solved. At least until his golden parachute clause ends in a few years and he leaves on his own.

The other major problem is the gross incompetence in upper management. Hundreds of thousands of dollars in gift cards given out by managers, being used to supplement income because of bad raises, and without the CFO even knowing? You're better off finding an entirely new executive team altogether. But again, all of the people in power positions have golden parachute clauses with the parent company, so they're only concerned about themselves.

"Don't trust the leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at inContact full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are lots of good people that work here. However, many great people have left due to the problems that plague the company.

Cons

There are lots of challenges with the leadership team within contact. It starts at the top where there's just lipservice. Opportunities for advancement are limited and quite frankly - just can't trust the management team, particularly the senior executives and the CEO. It was a mistake to come here.

"Don't be misled by HR comments: If you are not "in" you are always given the shaft"

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at inContact full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the worker bees are great folks.

Cons

Only the few chosen ones have a normal life. --They can write up a few KB articles (even when they don't have a clue what they are writing about) and they are set! They are part of the "in" crowd and they have it made. inContact Jr. High!

Salary adjustments are a joke despite what the HR feedback states. I know many who have met all of their goals and have outstanding job performances and who are appreciated by all but those who apparently "make the decisions." They receive little to no raises each year.

The management that I have so far worked with were more of "do what I say not what I do" type 'leaders'. They miss their appointments, fail to communicate, fail to understand what their reports even do, and have no interest in their employees. Directions change multiple times in a given day, typically, and they have everyone running around in circles. (actual example on a team call: "you all need to slow down and not make so many mistakes... we are falling behind so we need to hasten our pace. I have several new accounts i need to hand out." Bottom line, they don't have the skills that their reports need to have so they cannot manage them effectively. They have encouraged an environment where it is better to work the system than to do the work. Oh, and don't make the mistake of speaking up. That is death. Only 'Yes Men' apply here!

This is indeed a place where the Peter Principle and the 20/80 rule are in effect.

Advice to Management

inContact is in a dire need for real leaders, not someone's friend put into a leadership role. There are very few leaders here who truly is someone you can feel good about working for. Find them and hire them, would be my recommendation. Skilled, technically-savvy leadership is what is sorely lacking.

"Micromangment and no work life balance"

Pros

Good location
    Ok benefit
    Nice building
    The company growing
    Thats it, i have no more, i feel sorry for whoever still there

Cons

Bully
    Micromanagement
    Bad attitude
    No work life balance
    Control freaks
    They dont care about their employee at all
    Good luck

Advice to Management

You employee is your success

"Not Everything Is True"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at inContact full-time

Pros

Very hyped environment
    Somewhat great people
    Work from home

Cons

No job training
    No diagram, support resources
    All work was thrown at a couple engineers
    Remote employees are forgotten

Advice to Management

Give specific job training to your new employees. Give proper tools for troubleshooting. Better attention to remote employees.

Feb 22, 2017 – Manager Talent Acquisition

We are sorry to hear your remote employee experience was less than optimal. Working remotely has several inherrent advantages and disadvantages and overcoming the latter is challenging, at times ... More

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at inContact (More than a year)

Pros

New Building and new facilities, new chairs, new desks, nice amenities, parking is free, they give you lots of hype and try to energize you every day.

Cons

If you are not at the top of the pyramid you get the short end of the stick, you are forced to work with the "veterans" you have to carry a very heavy quota and split your deals with the other "veterans" total MLM mentality. If you do not know the VP and or related to someone, or do not share the same beliefs, you are not going to make it.
    Forced daily training's, they tell you to think outside of the box but they keep you in a box they tell you what to say and when to say it. The over amped VP on 5 or 6 monster drinks will brag about how much money he makes and how much money his managers make and “you too can make this much money” They even openly discussed their commission checks and keep saying you are going to make ridiculous money. You will spend endless hours of pointless training's listening to managers repeat the same thing over and over again, they have a meeting to have a meeting. You are constantly threatened by the managers and other employees it is a very hostile environment. There is a very heavy presence of nepotism in the company, “veteran” reps will get deals handed to them from their family members. If you want to work in a churn and burn hostile environment with managers, team leads and the VP that does not have your back this is the place for you. I truly believe this was the worst mistake of my life, I was oversold and over promised in the interview process only to be shot down in flames and left on the curb with no job.
    Do not work for this company you will regret it.

Advice to Management

To the H.R. Department look into Nepotism and writing contracts for more than they are worth. To the managers of the AE's, be honest with employees coming on board, quit telling people you are going to make crazy amounts of money. Tell people you are going to starve and you will not make it unless you know the V.P. it is a system to benefit relatives, people at the top and the VP's favorites, the VP will tell everyone not to take breaks, not go to lunch, work hard do what I did, then ask the entire floor to help him move? Come on really hire a Mover! Total joke total waste of time what a lame company. By the way firing people because you overstaffed is not the employees fault its management fault, you are playing with peoples life's.

Feb 22, 2017 – Manager Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your comments. Our sales team is committed to maintaining a positive, light-hearted and rewarding environment. This - like many things - can go a step too far, at times, if left ... More

"Dont walk...but run"

Former Employee - Business Development in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Business Development in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at inContact full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Offices lay-outs are nice but I am struggling to find anything else positive

Cons

There is very little good about this company as I left 60 days after joining due to it being a horrible place to work - upper management is involved in politics and middle management is highly incompetent. Dont walk but run from any opportunity with this company. You will be glad you did.

Advice to Management

Critically look at your middle-level management team and assess their value from a employee level anonymously and you will find out a lot of interesting things that are not working and preventing the sales team from being effective.

"Physical Assult by Employee and nothing been done to it."

Pros

Nothing good to say at all

Cons

Discrimation, Insalt, Not Recommended to anyone in Columbus. Think before you do it. Not professional. Welcome to Kinder Kate.

Feb 1, 2017 – Manager Talent Acquisition

inContact has a Zero Tolerance policy for sexual harassment and we expect our employees to adhere to it. Our leadership is committed to this standard and if issues arise they are dealt with ... More