inContact Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
inContact President, CEO, and Director Paul Jarman
Paul Jarman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They're very flexible with remote working too - I work from home two days a week and there are some teams that work 3 (in 13 reviews)

• Company cares about employees (HR feedback has been taken seriously and resulted in company changes) as well a great atmosphere with great people (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management either doesn't listen or doesn't care (in 14 reviews)

• Work-life balance isn't great, but impossible to find a sales job that is (in 6 reviews)

"inContact bites off more than it can digest"

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at inContact full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best peers imaginable. Very intelligent, and energetic. I can't say enough good things about the sales engineering team.

Cons

A Sales engineer (SE) requires faith that their company can and will deliver on prescribed solutions. A SE does not take a sales rep path because a SE has integrity and a real desire to help solve problems.

At inContact, the snake oil is not only sold to their customers, but also internally. This is quickly realized by all parties at a new customer kickoff. The implementation wheels fall off at the first press of the gas pedal. It only gets worse from there, especially when it comes to connectivity and integrations. As a result, a SE at inContact immediately loses faith. This is disastrous since the unspoken truth in sales is; sales engineers sell deals, sales reps schedule meetings.

Lastly, the sales engineers are under the umbrella of sales at inContact, and this should never be allowed. This leads to many outstanding SE's having a bullseye painted on them, simply for exposing weak sales reps. The empty can of sales rattles the most, and there is no protection for a SE from the rattle of rep, especially from the SE's own managers. What sales want, sales get at inContact. What the sacred sales cows want, they get immediately, despite it being at odds with what is best for the company.

Advice to Management

Sacred cows taste great. It's time to cull the old herd.

Feb 22, 2017 – Manager Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your comments - we certainly agree that some of our best people make up the SE team. We appreciate your candor and, through our open-door policy, we are always eager to hear how... More

"Great employment negative management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at inContact full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A company with a ton of year over year growth. Lots of opportunities for advancement

Cons

Very cliche oriented environment. Management shows immaturity at times

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect

"Avoid becoming a Technical Account Manager here!!"

Former Employee - Technical Account Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Technical Account Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at inContact full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-I totally got a free coffee cup and soda cup upon arrival. Score!
    -They have an annual golf tournament and participate in SL Corporate Games
    -Free soda
    -New building
    -Lots of free coffee
    -Ping Pong, Foosball, XBox, PlayStation, etc.
    -With the exception of the fact that my manager didn't care she had a new employee starting (see Cons), orientation was fun and full of a lot of info about the company
    -New Sr. Leadership has been brought in to clean up the issues within the TAM organization and they have a lot of good ideas, but they have some road blocks...

Cons

-Interview process. I had no HR screening as some have reported having. My would-be manager set up a phone interview. She cancelled our first attempt at a phone interview after she was 15 minutes late for it...no consideration for the fact that I took time off at my previous employer. She rescheduled for the next day; however, she was still 10 minutes late to that one. I should've read this as foreshadowing as to the kind of manager she was going to be.
    -I was sold that the Technical Account Managers (TAM) would be the technical point of contact for the client and that my main responsibility would be to help them with scripting, configuration changes, bug escalations, break/fix, etc. I spent about 10% of the time doing that and the rest of the time was spent handling contract disputes, playing bill collector, answering billing questions and essentially serving as a middleman between the client and anyone at inContact. It really is a relationship manager role without the RM salary.
    -I was told that I would manage about 10 clients. Much to my dismay, within 3 weeks of working here, I had 12 and that number would go up to 17. Some people had over 25. Sheer workload is unreasonable.
    -Left out of the interview/job description was the fact that you are "on call" from 6 AM to 6 PM MST and you have to setup your personal cell phone to have calls rolled to it if you aren't at your desk between these hours. Beyond that, I was even reprimanded because a client was unhappy because I didn't answer an e-mail they sent at 9 PM at night. They give you a small allowance (not enough to have a separate phone) to supplement your cell phone payments when what they really should do is give you a company cell phone so you can keep work and personal life completely separate (Many reviews talk about this company having no real HR dept. This is a fine example of that).
    -As a TAM you will be held accountable for anything that goes wrong on the client no matter whom or what caused it. It is all on you and good luck with that because the processes here are a nightmare and system stability is just abysmal (but, to be fair, it has been improving).
    -On day one of new hire orientation our managers and our "buddies" (AKA, people who are to mentor us) were supposed to come down and meet us and welcome us to the teams. Of all other new hires that day, I was the only one who had a manager and "buddy" who didn't show up.
    -None of the other groups TAMs work with have any client focus whatsoever and why should they? It's the TAM who will take the heat when it all goes wrong.
    -My manager and a handful of other middle managers were untrained for the job. They were simply in the role because they had been with the company for so long that it was the next logical step. She was completely unapproachable and had almost no people skills. Even by her own admission, she was "unapproachable." I certainly didn't argue with that as it was an understatement. If you are going to be a manager of a team of people whose job it is to "have people skills," then you better have them as well. She did not lead by example at all.
    -Manager would critique my communication and follow through skills; however, never once did she communicate general expectations, goals, etc. to me. Our one on ones (which were cancelled most of the time) were a chance for her to ask me for quick status updates on my clients and that was it. Never went over development plans.
    -Training consisted of giving me a 90 day checklist and telling me to complete it. The checklist was to complete web-based training and meet members of other departments and shadow with them. Manager didn’t really offer assistance beyond that. "If you need help, talk to your buddy." Trouble was my buddy was so ridiculously overworked that she had no time and was often working from home. She helped when she could, but I felt guilty even asking her for help with all she had on her plate.
    -Overall, she just seemed like she was too busy with other things outside of managing her team. The only time she cared about me was if a client escalated and then it was immediately a case of me having to prove my innocence. Toward the end I did become a bad employee because I was so disenfranchised with being on her team that I just no longer cared and began looking for outside opportunities.
    -When I would get new clients, you would think the normal thing for a manager to do would be to sit down with you and ask how you're doing and if you can take on 4 more clients out of implementation and here's when and how. Not on this team. My manager wouldn't say a thing. I'd just get an e-mail about a hand-off from sales that I was getting a new client.
    -Each department makes up their own rules without communicating to the other departments and the processes in each department change monthly.
    -There are a ton of connected "legacy" employees which make new people feel unwelcome. My manager was part of this crowd. I feel like a ton of people know this manager is toxic and many people have left her team recently; however, due to her associations, she is untouchable. Whatever. Not my problem anymore.

Advice to Management

To Executive and Sr. Management: The only thing that kept this from being a one star review was the new Sr. Leadership in the TAM department. It appears that you brought them in as outside talent and you really need that in order to break up some of the huge conflicts of interest and "small town" management you have here. Remove more of these roadblocks so they can clean house. Give them more power to do this.
    To my manager: You certainly have a lot of knowledge in your company from how long you have worked there, but that does not mean you are fit to manage people. You cannot just put us all in a room and tell us we need to trust to come to you with our issues. You have to actually spend some time building trust. I felt like every time I brought an issue to you, it was immediately turned into "what did I do wrong?" without listening to the whole story. In the end, I disengaged from this job because I could see it didn't really matter. You obviously had it out for me and I was destined to get out from under you whether it be to leave the company or move internally. You need to ditch the power trip. People don't follow titles...they follow honest leadership. Take a cue from your boss. Almost everything you critique about how I handled my client interactions is something I can critique about how you handle employee interactions.

"Meh"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Columbus, OH

I have been working at inContact full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay isn't bad if you were hired in at a decent rate. The people are great.

Cons

A lot of ritual based processes, and solutions looking for problems. A.D.D. management style.

Advice to Management

Give development teams autonomy and focus on what needs to be done long enough to get it done. Don't switch plans to the "real" priority and keep the same timelines.

Jul 22, 2016 – Team inContact

Thanks for the feedback. While Columbus has experienced a lot of changes over the past year +, we believe we have a great future ahead for Columbus.

"Regional Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Hollister, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Hollister, CA

I worked at inContact full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cool products, lot's of motivated people working for the overall success of the company. Innovative ideas, that sometimes came through as actual products customers could use. Telecom background was very helpful in the space.

Cons

Sales leadership is unethical and created internal battles that were unnecessary. If you have any questions to this, you can go to the reviews on Linkedin written by Rix Skycamp. They are rather insightful and pretty accurate.

Advice to Management

Time to re-org the sales leadership

"Don't just walk away from this company, run!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midvale, UT

I have been working at inContact full-time

Pros

Higher end of the pay scale, co-workers are great, some of the added bonuses

Cons

Health care insurance just went up in price and down in service, Many managers are kingdom builders. HR has continually swept issues under the rug in regards to hostile work environments and such due to top end managers and directors wanting to be retained.
    Only a handful of people, like 5 truly know the whole network and impact of changes/upgrades. Those hold the company hostage.

Advice to Management

Stop screwing employees on health insurance.
    Stop allowing managers and directors to build their little palaces.
    Stop allowing knowledge holders to hold the company hostage.

Nov 12, 2015 – Team inContact

My door is always open. If you feel like you’re working in a negative environment, I encourage you to address it with your manager, HR Business Partner or myself. We have zero tolerance for these... More

"One of the worst tech companies."

Pros

Good salaries and bonuses and a nice snack bar.

Cons

Pretty much everything else - company is run like they still make all their money selling pre-paid phone cards instead of cloud software.

Advice to Management

Managers are supposed to be facilitators, not roadblocks.

"Less than satisfactory"

Current Employee - Professional Services in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Professional Services in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Great co-workers who are willing to help; some of the smartest people you will work with; innovative product; constant growth.

Cons

Compensation is very low for the workload. Middle management is inconsistent and insincere. No career development and when asked for career path from management- standard one-liner, brush off. Other departments can be challenging to work with as a result of silos.

Advice to Management

CEO is great. Mid management: Value your employees! Employees will invest in their employer when they feel empowered and supported. Lose the "Do as I say, not as I do" mentality.

May 28, 2015 – Team inContact

Thank you for your review. Recently we hired a new Sr. Manager Leadership and Organization Development and we are actively improving our leadership and career development programs. A big focus will... More

"Be prepared to be bullied"

I worked at inContact full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Virtual work environment
    Good co-workers
    Smart people
    Good benefits

Cons

Excessive time spent in meetings - whole day would be filled with pointless vendor meetings.
    Management incredibly catty and back stabbing. Would IM during meetings and talk smack about other team members. My boss regularly referred to coworkers as morons, idiots, stupid, etc - horrible lack of respect. Expected to learn on the fly and then scolded when not perfect at get go. Environment felt very hectic and over scheduled.

Advice to Management

When you have multiple people complaining about management take a look at how to improve instead of blindly promoting because they "hit their numbers." Doesn't mean they aren't a terrible manager.

"Could be so much better"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at inContact full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are the best asset to this company although the executive management team doesn't realize it. The market for Cloud Contact Center is really hot. They have built up their own infrastructure. The are becoming more enterprise ready.

Cons

Head of HR just doesn't care about people, the company changes direction constantly. Politics run rampant. The new guy syndrome is very prevalent here. Managers change control often, driven by executives.

Advice to Management

Focus on a direction, follow the advice of your long term employees, use it as a strategy. Take a look at the talent you have that has been there for a long time. Don't overemphasize playing favorites.