inMusic Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
inMusic CEO/Owner Jack O'Donnell
Jack O'Donnell

Pros
  • I certainly learned a lot by working here and have been promoted a few times (in 4 reviews)

• Free coffee daily and seasonal Free Lunch Friday's (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Lean, Tight Ship"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Cumberland, RI
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Cumberland, RI

I worked at inMusic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

InMusic has very little bureaucracy in its flat corporate structure. A product manager can go directly to the owner/CEO or the VP of Sales with ideas or questions and get feedback almost instantaneously. Executive management is engaged, savvy and has a keen sense about product features, industrial design and marketing messaging. As a result of the corporate structure and engaged executive management, complex products make it to market quickly and market disruptive impact is consistently achieved. At inMusic, you always know where your idea stands, what direction to take and what's expected of you. There's a deep corporate culture of "get it done" that all successful employees understand. When a deliverable needs expediting, it gets expedited without multiple requests or constant babysitting.

InMusic's Industrial Design and Graphic departments are world class. The products they design and the marketing materials they churn out are among the best in the industry. They're also inspiring, respectful and fun to work with.

InMusic's engineers are technically excellent and solid collaborators. Product managers have direct relationships with the engineers developing their products and engage daily. There's a strong sense of mutual respect.

InMusic's tech specialists are the best in the business. They're knowledgeable, communicative wizards with positive, humble attitudes. I really enjoyed working with this group.

InMusic was a great company to work for and I was sad to leave.

Cons

Rhode Island isn't for everyone and to be a truly successful product manager (of physical products), being on-site is extremely important.

There's little to no training involved in product management. You're expected to figure out how to do what needs to be done. This was fine for me, but for some, this might pose a challenge.

The facilities aren't glamorous. This is not a big deal, but an employee shower would be a nice improvement.

The expense report policy is a little dated and the process is fairly time consuming. It could use a revamp.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

"Satisfied"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cumberland, RI

Pros

This is a great company to work for. Great benefits are provided and awesome events are held for employees. I don't love the job that I wake up and drive into every morning, but that is only because I happen to be what my friends and family would call a borderline hippie :). I've never loved any job. Thankfully this is a great company to work for, or I'd be homeless! I was surprised at how greatly employees were considered when I first started working for this company. Also, there are so many different types of people that make up the community, which makes for more fun (healthy fun, that is...) than you would expect out of a corporate environment. There are so many opportunities to learn and grow here. Once you decide to be an adult and love the job that you are lucky to have, naturally your eyes will be opened to all kinds of great possibilities and you will work with a vision in mind and see success. I say this from my short experience here. I would definitely recommend this company. Also I would advise anyone reading reviews to avoid paying too much mind to those writing negatively out of bitterness from past experiences that were more personal than company related, or to those who claim to "work for this company and are having horrible experiences"..

Cons

Outside of my own personal brat thoughts, I can't find a valid con.

"Music and hard-working people"

Current Employee - Marketing in Cumberland, RI
    Current Employee - Marketing in Cumberland, RI

Pros

This is a satisfying place to be, no question. I’m a veteran of product development and marketing in the electronics and music industries, and this company utilizes my experience to the fullest extent. People here are dedicated and very smart, very enthusiastic and upbeat. People care, and they really take ownership of what they do, whether it’s in graphic design, engineering, sales, project management, corporate marketing, etc. This is a place where strong professionals get to work with other strong professionals in a challenging atmosphere of respect and high standards. You need to bring your “A” game, but it’s worth it and appreciated.

There is a refreshing lack of personal nit-picking. No one times your comings and goings. They know you’re a pro, that you work hard, put in the time and deliver the results. I really like that.

Also, minor thing but very nice: From Memorial day through Labor Day, the company provides free lunch on Fridays, catered by a local RI food service or local restaurant. Nice touch and everyone feels good.

Cons

Minor stuff. If it snows like crazy and you can’t make it in, you get charged for a sick day. Pretty ridiculous. Also, even high-level salaried people get a set number of sick days per year (6), instead of the more usual “normal and customary” policy that other top-tier companies have. In practice, however, this hasn’t been an issue. Also, you can’t roll over vacation time. Most companies let you roll over up to a week.

Advice to Management

See “cons.” Nothing big besides that. This is a good place.

"The Music Industry in Rhode Island!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cumberland, RI

Pros

inMusic makes some of the coolest music products for DJs and musicians. For those living in the Boston and Providence areas, they are located just over the Rhode Island border in Cumberland. Some really talented people work at the company and they are always coming up with new and innovative products. I certainly learned a lot by working here and have been promoted a few times. Pretty good benefits.

Cons

They had some shaken-ups in management - and some people are now gone. I only hope they hire some new good strong managers. Until then, they are a little under staffed.

Advice to Management

Going forward, please hire people with the best attitude and energy over a fancy resume,

"Everything's Made in China"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cumberland, RI

I have been working at inMusic (More than 5 years)

Pros

There's a couple of nice people there. Dress code is fairly lax. IT is generally helpful even though they're just as strung out as the rest of us.

Cons

They told the marketing team to write well worded reviews and rate high. You're overworked and underpaid, even the janitors. Work follows you everywhere. They don't enforce version control (or any SOP for that matter). Directors are nothing but "yes" men. When you get promoted, you still have to do your old job(s), too. Actually, promotion implies a compensation change, I should have said 'title change' instead.

Advice to Management

It will be impossible to fix anything, because the poison trickles down from the top.

inMusic Response

Jul 25, 2016 – Director of Marketing

We welcome all reviews, both positive and negative. We don’t edit or hide the bad ones, we don’t falsely encourage good ones either. In all honesty, we learn more about how to improve our company ... More

"Lead Quality Assurance Engineer at inMusic for over 3 years."

Current Employee - Lead Quality Assurance Engineer in Somerville, MA
    Current Employee - Lead Quality Assurance Engineer in Somerville, MA

I have been working at inMusic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. The day to day working environment is nice at the Somerville office. The products are inspiring and fun to work on.

Cons

Communication with HR and upper management is horrendous. There is an underlying tone of mistrust. There is a fairly high turnover rate, but that's not surprising.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Allow people to have more flexibility and work from home when necessary.

"Could/should be an excellent company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cumberland, RI

I have been working at inMusic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Fun industry
    -Lots of experience

Cons

-Low pay
    -Terrible work life balance
    -Throw people under the bus mentality
    -People are rewarded with getting to keep their jobs, not with raises
    -HR department is self serving, plays favorites
    -Company heavily relies on temps in all aspects of the business
    -Refuses to make more parking, even though the census is more than parking available
    -Makes employees feel that they are very expandable

Advice to Management

You really need to assess your HR Dept, they really are hurting your business. They are making top talent leave the company, and having them go to competitors. They micro manage all areas of your business. They undermine your managers and make an unpleasant work environment . Also stop being so disengaged, as a business you should be more engaged with your employees, you run a thin company with many people working multiple positions, these employees give everything including long hours, travel and sleepless nights to make you even more rich. Compensate them with industry standard pay for their positions. also stop being sexist everyone is sick of seeing only women at the front desk.

"An HR-Less Working Environment"

Former Employee - Marketing Copywriter in Cumberland, RI
    Former Employee - Marketing Copywriter in Cumberland, RI

I worked at inMusic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I began my time at Numark as an intern, which seemed to hold promise. The group of people I started with were a wonderful bunch, some of whom I am still in contact with.

Cons

This company has an incredibly high turnover rate, which is absolutely not surprising. The workplace is a toxic environment that holds no reward, except perhaps for the rare decent employees who have a sense of humor about it all.

The HR department was quite unsuitable for such a job. I felt like they were part of the reason the company is a less than ideal place to work. It is unfortunate that a company's hardworking employees are not able to approach what is supposed to be a welcoming and open department.

One of the biggest reasons it was difficult to feel loyal to this company was the CEO. He has been known to require every female employee to sit behind the front desk at some point during the work week, forcing them to temporarily abandon whatever tasks their actual job may require. It is difficult enough to meet the demand of upper management without being taken away for a few hours. His outdated, sexist way of thinking does not seem conducive to a technology company.

Advice to Management

Re-think your management strategies, and enroll yourselves in a "how to motivate employees" workshop. Abolish outdated ways of thinking, and do not encourage a harassing work environment.

"Easy come, Easy go"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cumberland, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cumberland, RI

I worked at inMusic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

if your into music gear and live in area , cool place to be , thats about where it ends , be careful

Cons

upper management is a joke , owner listens to the wrong people to move ahead , too many acquisitions w/o a plan or resources to handle it all , HR is honest and trys hard but is at mercy of the powers above

Advice to Management

leave

"Over-promise and horribly under-deliver"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Cumberland, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Cumberland, RI

I worked at inMusic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some really smart and talented people working for this company. The corporate office is in a nice location.

Cons

Absolutely everything is a crisis. There are no written procedures for nearly anything. There is little-to-no documentation or training for most positions. Everything is fly by the seat of your pants and every man for himself. Management makes an art form of over-hyping and over-promising and grossly under-delivering in nearly all facets of the business. Pay is abysmal compared to other similar companies. Morale is very low.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people. Lay out clear and realistic job descriptions and expectations. Establish intelligent and appropriate procedures. Focus more on building on strengths of the talented individuals and less on putting out the fire of the day.