inMusic Reviews | Glassdoor

2.2
inMusic CEO/Owner Jack O'Donnell
Jack O'Donnell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I certainly learned a lot by working here and have been promoted a few times (in 5 reviews)

• Free coffee daily and seasonal Free Lunch Friday's (in 5 reviews)

1. "Brand Manager"

I have been working at inMusic full-time

Pros

Amazing staff and they treat you like family!

Cons

Nothing wrong, they have the future on a grasp.

Advice to Management

Keep the magic alive, don't fix anything

"Sociopathic management"

I worked at inMusic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, a collaborative environment where idea sharing is encouraged and helps to get things done.

Cons

Management for some of the non-MI (commercial) brands is abysmal. Expect to get treated like you’re a pariah and completely inept by managers who take credit for your successes and lie to your face daily.

Advice to Management

Look at your senior management (MI side of the business is fine)

"Look past the fake, positive reviews."

Current Employee - Industrial Designer
    Current Employee - Industrial Designer

I have been working at inMusic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you have a passion for gear associated with electronic music production, it can be appealing. Good for entry-level job hunters.

Cons

It looks good from the outside, but you’ll soon learn otherwise. A peek behind the curtain reveals the disheartening world of budget-rate audio gear design/development. You have to like designing subpar gear more than having a positive workplace culture.

"No. You can do better than this company. Don't do it."

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing in Cumberland, RI
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing in Cumberland, RI

I worked at inMusic (More than 5 years)

Pros

Get to work with fun, cutting edge products, but they prey on your excitement to treat you as a slave.

Cons

Everything else. Cut throat atmosphere. "Do it or you're gone" mentality. "Expect to do more for less" is an exact quote from upper management. Borderline (and sometimes blatant) sexual harassment daily. If you currently work here, you soon won't. Nobody is going to retire there. Might as well get your resume ready and join a team that doesn't think of you as temporary.

Advice to Management

This culture comes from the top. The owner dictates it. It doesn't need to be this way. Treat people as you would like to be treated. We're not numbers. We're people. Respect those who work hard for you. Your employees are loyal and devoted to you, yet you treat everyone as expendable. You can succeed in business without destroying professional relationships.

5. "A good place if you are truly a fit"

I worked at inMusic full-time

Pros

Treat employees well and have exciting products to develop and work on.

Cons

Trying to integrate into their management system is a challenge for a new employee. You will either fit in or not, there is no in between. There is little employee development and goal setting and little opportunity for growth. If you are thinking of relocating, make sure you fit it, if not you will not get extra time to do so because you moved.

Advice to Management

Define jobs, set goals, measure employees against those goals and have a better short term set of business objectives. Doing what's best at the moment and shifting directions doesn't help employees give their best efforts and grow with the company.

6. "Sales"

I worked at inMusic full-time

Pros

great teams and fun workplace

Cons

high turnover and insecure workforce

"Crisis Management from the top down"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cumberland, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cumberland, RI

I worked at inMusic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some great people from Sr. Management down. The products are cool for the most part and it's an exciting industry to be a part of. It was a good stepping stone and I learned a lot.

Cons

Executive management is a nightmare to deal with. They will smile to your face, but throw you under the bus in an instant. The Marketing team is mismanaged and has little understanding of E-Commerce. Additionally, they do not hire qualified people to get the job done. They will hire in Jr. developers and expect Sr. developer results. This results in lackadaisical web launches, marketing campaigns and no support to any sort of E-Commerce initiatives. I cannot tell you how frustrating it is to have someone higher on the hierarchy than you that is so incompetent. The problem is, when people gain the trust of the CEO, they can basically skirt around issues and blame people lower in the pecking order for their own faults. Eventually, that catches up to them, but it takes time. Then, they will hire in someone else that incompetent. InMusic is literally the worst and least professional job I have ever had. They want you to be fearful of losing your job at all times. It's the culture they strive for. I hated every single day that I had to go there. All of the products are cheaply made in China so the quality isn't all that great.

Advice to Management

Get rid of incompetent VIPs and Executives. You need to work on the culture and experience that your employees have working at InMusic. Getting let go from InMusic was the best thing that's ever happened to me. Within a few weeks I found a job with FAR more pay and they actually appreciate me. I am in touch with several high level former employees and each of them share the same story of literally hating working for InMusic. Perhaps you should focus your level of success on more than just sales. It's good to be king, but that doesn't mean ethics should be thrown out the window.

"Chaos By Design"

I worked at inMusic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You'll see stuff you had a hand in on stage with some of the biggest artists alive, TV shows, films etc. Nice people work there, and the misery of the place will give you a great bond with them.

You occasionally get a free meal and have a nice view when the leafs change.

Cons

First of all, the good reviews are fake. I still talk to be people in the company and they're having issues with recruiting, so they're asking people to leave good reviews. Read the good reviews, they're pretty vague about what's awesome outside of free food and gear. That should be a pretty good indicator to you of the culture of the place.

The place is chaos and they reject process on purpose. If you come from any kind of company that follows even rudimentary standard best practices, you'll be shocked that they get anything done. and immediately understand why there's quality issues. Also because the lack of SOP, everything is brute force, so you have to work about twice as hard to get anything done.

The CEO is a micromanager extraordinaire, and judging by how fast he goes through people, doesn't really value anyone. Make no mistake, this is his company, and you are working to enrich him. Success does not equal job security. In a kind of perverse way, if you're too successful and have things humming, you'll likely get let go because the CEO will feel he no longer needs you. Also, if the CEO doesn't listen to you and things go awry due to his decisions, you'll be blamed and let go. If he does listen to you and things go awry, you'll also be let go, there's no leash, but at least you'll know why. So basically, it's unlikely you'll leave on your terms, unless you worked your way up through the company, because then you likely make a pittance. So really, those are your choices, be wildly underpaid, or have zero job security, but even if you make a pittance, you still don't really have security. Good luck!

If you're on here reading this, you're likely researching the company for a reason. You may think this review is hyperbolic or I have an axe to grind. Honestly, I really don't. If you are really considering working for inMusic, it's not too hard to find people who have worked there, a lot of them have pretty impressive resumes and have done big things before and after, so they're not angry failures. It's not a huge secret that inMusic has a rotting culture in the industry.

Also, the outlook for inMusic if you're young isn't great. The industry has stagnated and growth is in B2C and eCommerce. This company is atrocious at eCommerce, and its sales is about as old school as you can get, very reliant on brick and mortars/Guitar Center. Management always howls about not being the old white guys, but they're literally old white guys. It often seems as if they're (he's) trying to milk brand equity for all they (he) can before they (he) gets out. They mostly grow by acquisition, not product development. They're basically the Borg of MI.

Advice to Management

Stop acquiring/ruining other companies.

inMusic Response

May 14, 2017 – Director of Marketing

Thank you for your honest feedback-- as head of marketing, I always welcome frank expression and want to hear your comments. No company is perfect, and as we grow at a rapid pace, we are susceptible... More

"Truth hurts"

I worked at inMusic full-time

Pros

Powerful company with many resources. Lots of product innovation.

Cons

"White knuckle atmosphere" Most dedicated, tenured and talented employees work under the intimidation of every day possibly being their last.

Advice to Management

Bad ownership/management can take a good staff and destroy it, causing the best employees to flee and the remainder to lose all motivation.

10. "Working for InMusic"

Pros

Fast paced environment, nice coworkers

Cons

Open about upcoming layoffs while expecting" mandatory overtime"