inhouseIT Reviews | Glassdoor

inhouseIT Reviews

Full-timePart-time

Glen Ackerman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • All the technical staff are mostly good people and I have learned more that I thought I would under the circumstances (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The back office politics are staggering and mind blowing (in 2 reviews)

"Actual review by real employee"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at inhouseIT full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been at inhouseIT over 10 years. I welcome a call any time to discuss the real inhouseIT. I spent my first 5 years as a Field Engineer and enjoyed working with great customers and other field engineers. I've spent the last 5 years as a Sales Engineer. This change in position allowed me to see how the other half of the company works. I probably have the most insight into how employees are treated and the inner workings of inhouseIT. The positive aspects of working at inhouseIT are the employees, the technology and the management. Over the last few years the CEO and management team have worked hard to get the right people into the right positions and create a team that is positive and effective. The technology and direction of business is continually changing. inhouseIT's CTO is always ensuring we are leading the trend and not playing catching up. The management team has an open door policy and it works. After my first 5 years I walked into Glen's office and asked, "what's next?" He gave me options and some research to do on my own. I followed through and was given the opportunity to take the next step. It's a job and the opportunities are there if you're willing to put in the time and the work. I'm excited to work with the team we have in place and see where inhouseIT and technology will go next.

Cons

The primary cons with inhouseIT are the negative influences from previous employees. These are the undesirables that inhouseIT weeded out to create an effective and positive environment.

Advice to Management

Keep on Truckin'

"Depends what you are looking for..."

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at inhouseIT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Few good people, not much else.

Cons

Well I wanted to believe the hype that all of the reviews are from a bad employee. Yes some are from this previous employee but not all of them are.
    When 50 people have an issue with 1 person its uusally the person, but here we have the reverse of that. Several people have an issue with the employer/management and the issues seem to be closely related which would indicate that the company needs to look at itself .
    However here that is not the case its always the employee that is the issue, if you challenge their lack of process and express that you are unhappy with how things are and want to make them better. Well their idea of making it better is "There is the door" .
      The back office politics are staggering and mind blowing. For a company this small there are some people who have been there a while that run the show. In reality these are the ones that need to be shown the door save this company.
    If your looking for a place that has a militant feel this may be it. Do you like to be punished for the sins of another , this is your place. One person messes up then our entire group pays for it sometimes even the entire company however small it is will pay.
    The open door policy here is open yes you can go into the CEOs office and express how you feel just be mindful there may be consequences to pay if they do not agree.
    Like I said I really wanted to believe what I was told during the hring process but unfortunately there is some truth to it. Some of it yes over exaggerated but bottom line where there is smoke there is always some sort of fire.
    The customers notice the seperation, I had seveal customers make the comment , "well you wont be there long your good they get rid of smart and good".
     Second most common comment from a customer," so are you the only one for your job function there still? “
    The emplyee is not first, the customer is not first, I wish it were not that way.
    You are first if you are friends with somoen in upper managemet or one of the co owners. You will get amazing service in those events. That should be spread through out all of the customers not just based on who you know and have dinner with at times.
    When a company does not even have a holiday party ( aka christmas party, Thanksgiving, etc..) that should concern you. You are not the foremost thought on their mid as you would think you should be. You are just a billable perosn with hours that need to be build. It is a business and should focus on billable hours but not at the extent you forget you have people and not robots.

Advice to Management

If you look after your staff, they'll look after your customers. It's that simple.
    Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to.
    Words of Sir Richard Branson

inhouseIT Response

Apr 1, 2016 – Communication Manager

Thank you for your feedback, we apologize that your experience here at inhouseIT wasn’t enjoyable. At inhouseIT, we recognize that we do have some issues to fix however we are about progress, not... More

"A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at inhouseIT full-time

Pros

I've been working for InhouseIT for 15 months. At the time I started there seemed to be some misplaced frustration among a group of low performing staff that resented the ever increasing bar of accountability. I've seen some turnover in my time here and in each case the new hire replaced has been a major topgrade, thereby healing the culture and team-wide accountability. The team today is a group of professionals that want to do right by our clients and grow the business to be the best it can be. And that's exactly what I enjoy coming to work every day to do!

The partners here are committed to doing the right thing and I'm impressed with how available and transparent they are, Glen leading the way on that with his door always open. As I prepare to take some time off to welcome a new addition to my family I've been BLOWN away by how encouraging and supportive they have been. When so many workplaces might culturally disparage a father who takes off ANY time at all for a new child, let alone a couple weeks, inhouseIT has actively encouraged it.

Cons

During much of my time here the focus has been to onboard a great staff that can take inhouseIT to the next level. This can be slow and challenging work that requires a great deal of time and effort. I'm glad that we've finally gathered this team of A-Players so we can now focus more on growth and greatness together!

Advice to Management

Continue to hire for our Core Values and don't EVER settle for anything less than an A Player!

"Senior Account Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

The organization reinforces appreciation at every touch point. People work very hard but everyone comes through. I T is a difficult business but open communication and appreciation is everywhere here and that makes it easier with all of the unpredictable variables of technology.

Cons

You have to speak up - people tend to keep things amongst themselves and a few peers and it is super easy to get resentful when that happens. The CEOs door is ALWAYS open - yes he is very busy but never too buys to talk about a persons career path and vision. Totally unique to any company I have ever worked before.

Advice to Management

Keep seeking out feedback from all employees - realize people come from paradigms where they are afraid to say what is what - keep encouraging candor and openness.

"Positive environment, promotes growth!"

Current Employee - Carrier Project Coordinator in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Carrier Project Coordinator in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at inhouseIT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been onboard with inhouseIT for about a month. Being somewhat new to telecom, the team has been very encouraging and knowledgeably in explaining the intricacies of the industry . I could immediately see the core values were fundamentally practiced among the team. Something that stuck out to me, was the great environment & that in itself promotes positive growth within the company. As I've been training these past few weeks, communication is taught to be a key factor in the success of inhouseIT. I look forward to closing the learning gap & becoming self-sufficient.

Cons

I am curious to see the positive growth and increase in projections for this year.

Advice to Management

The open communication is great, I believe this creates the transparency and synergy inhouseIT possesses.

"Proud to be at inhouseIT"

Current Employee - Director in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at inhouseIT full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I was recently asked what was the best professional decision I have made. My response was coming to work for inhouseIT over 10 yrs ago. I began at an entry-level position and through the guidance and support of upper management, I was given the opportunity to develop my skills and grow into my current management position. While technology has continued to change over the years, the commitment of our CEO and President have remained consistent. Their integrity and desire to do right by our clients is the main reason I've stayed here so many years. I've received many offers to work for competitors, but it's more important for me to be in a healthy environment where I'm confident that our Executives have our clients' and employees' best interests at heart. They've worked very hard over the past few years to make sure the right people are in the right roles and that the company's core values are at the forefront of everything we do.
    Our culture is great! We are treated with respect and told that we are appreciated on a regular basis. I work with fun, intelligent people every day and I look forward to the opportunities that will continue to be afforded to me in the years that come.

Cons

Past employees who continue to blame the company for their lack of success. Our CEO, Glen, has always had an open-door policy, so shame on them if they did not take advantage of that. I’ve gone in there many times over the years, and have always come out feeling positive of the direction we were heading after speaking with Glen.
    The same employees claim there’s no career advancement possible. They need to look in the mirror. Our Execs will invest in the people that show a desire to step forward with an entrepreneurial spirit and willingness to succeed.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire and invest in good people. You're doing the right thing!

"Really Enjoy My Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at inhouseIT full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at inhouseIT for over four years. I know the value of having a good job with a good company and inhouseIT is an excellent organization. The CEO and the executive team work hard to be sure the employees and the company values are in alignment. We have a team of positive, talented individuals employed here and it is a pleasure to work with them. Like many businesses, we have had our share of turnover, but we have replaced these low-performing individuals with A+ players. This has greatly improved our culture.

Cons

Due to the high number of clients we serve in Orange County, the pace can be fast and of course, technology is ever-changing so we need to increase our training.

Advice to Management

Keep up the hard work with a continued eye on culture and process improvement.

"Don't let them fool you"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at inhouseIT full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can learn a lot about politics if you try to make friends here. If you keep to yourself and just do your work you can learn a lot. Just don't get involved with the politics.

Cons

You can see from the trend rating when things went downhill, and downhill fast. This used to be a fun and exciting place to work for. It has definitely made it's way through the industry about the rep of this place. People still ask me what happened there and I'm not afraid to tell them exactly what happened.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees. Stop trying to bring a corporate structure to a small company, it just won't work. Train your employees instead of just letting them learn on their own. Management needs to stop "looking out for each other" and I'm sure productivity would increase.

"Ineptitude is Rewarded"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at inhouseIT full-time

Pros

Good parking, paychecks cleared, people were great

Cons

Complete ineptitude is rewarded. I saw the good ones get fired or leave over politics; bad ones stay or get promoted. The old adage that a fish rots from the head down cannot ring more true. Horrible leadership.

Advice to Management

The good ones leave and the bad ones stay. Promote a positive culture. Take a page out of the likes of other tech companies.

"Perplexing Organization"

I have been working at inhouseIT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The technicians are mostly good natured and willing to help. There is a great opportunity here with the technology available. I can see how you can learn a variety of systems and get very good very quickly. This place has such great potential I am going to give it 4 out of 5 starts for that fact alone. Your skills have to improve and improve quickly here. It’s a great place to be multi-tasking and think on your feet.

Cons

If you know what you are doing, stay away from inhouseIT. I know they are taking advantage of me with my low pay but I hope to gain the experience and move on soon. If, like me, you are desperate for that first IT job, then I suppose we must endure the daily humiliation inhouseIT generously provides. For some reason unknown to me, management is constantly lying. All you need to do is talk to anyone else and the lies become clear. But why do this? And why is it very week someone new comes on board and someone else leaves? There is not much in the way of knowledge and so you have to figure just about everything out on your own. So again, a great opportunity to learn and the reason for 4 out of 5 stars. But after that this place is pretty sad. With my recent career change to technology, I think I will stay for a short while and then go someplace with more growth potential. I would also like to work with a company where I look forward to going to the office. I dread each and every day I have to appear before his majesty the CEO and his court of jesters.

Advice to Management

Make the company more about the staff and less about yourself and profits. Maybe create a training budget and allow for more time off. It is clear you want as many billable hours as possible, but my home life is going to struggle if I choose to stay. You should have such a great organization I want to stay. As of right now, I do not want to be there, and it is all your fault management.