inthinc Technology Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Marc J. Eisenberg
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good company, but chasing the silver bullet"

Pros

Family type environment. Everyone watches out for each other. Even with the financials get rough the company always makes sure the employees are paid. Management cares a lot about the employees. There is opportunity to move up, but it is slow.

Cons

Financial troubles, constantly chasing the "Next BIG thing". This company has had a lot of big dreams. But has lacked the ability to move it forward. I have never been able to put my finger on the exact cause of why. But it has moved forward with investment and then moved back, and then forward again, and then back. I do know one issue that has plagued the company is giving in to larger customers, forcing us to do development work that does not move the company forward it only maintains it for another day. This has really slowed process towards new products. As well as moving forward with getting better quality. VERY limited resources to maintain A HUGE feature set.

2. "Doesn't pay well or seem like a viable option for a long term career"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at inthinc Technology Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some of the people are fun to work with. The office is generally has a pleasant, friendly vibe.

Cons

Management lacks in leadership. Time and money will be wasted on initiatives only to be abandoned before completion. Product is rushed, incomplete, or defective. You'll end up doing the work of multiple people and won't be paid well doing it. Most of the employees have left for other, better opportunities. The people left behind have to try to maintain or improve an outdated product line. Blatant nepotism for the CEO's children. Haven't had a raise in several years.

Advice to Management

Clean house for upper management and bring in people with experience and a proven track record developing and supporting a product.

3. "Toxic"

Former Employee - Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at inthinc Technology Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It gave me the experience I needed to leave for much better opportunities.

Advice to fresh engineering grads:
    If you absolutely *must* work here because you have no other way to gain experience, do so, but then take what you need and move on. Unless of course...you like it there, which means that my review won't even make sense to you in the first place.

Cons

1. Executive staff is both uneducated and unprofessional.
    2. Much of the engineering staff is both shortsighted and mediocre.
    3. I personally found several people to be abnormally toxic, almost impressively so, though at the time it was most certainly not amusing.
     4. The product itself is Orwellian in that it is installed in transport vehicles of various natures and performs telemetry. In other words...it's a tracking mechanism. If you're the type of engineer who thinks doing analytics on vehicle fleet and employee behavior is a priority then you've found your "unit".

Advice to Management

My advice would be to take to heart this sentence: it's not even worth it to me to try and be admonishing because I sincerely doubt anyone with the power to affect change would actually take such advice to heart.

4. "Don't bother!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at inthinc Technology Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free soda and bagels on Friday. A few are nice. They love to promote from within and that's good. One company party that I can remember

Cons

Micro managing, everyone thinks they are "high and mighty". A lot of attitude from other employees, not friendly at all. One of the worst groups I've ever worked with except for the Accounting/HR department.

They've recently been purchased by another company so we'll see how that goes. They've always had money problems. Owners not giving enough to take care of bills and things.

Also there's a hot dog restaurant right next to this building so be prepared to smell that a lot. It's disgusting

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees! Without them you are nothing. Also fire the Aussie that's a jerk to everyone! He makes the work environment horrible

5. "Good and not-so-good"

I worked at inthinc Technology Solutions full-time

Pros

Nice office in west valley many fellow employees with healthy active lifestyle. No problem taking a break to have some fun in the game room or going for a jog or bike ride.

Cons

A bit heavy on the office politics; and due to the business being tied heavily to the oil and gas industry they have had several years with employee layoffs.

Advice to Management

Employee confidence and moral are important. The politics and negativity are undermining your company. The company keeps losing too many key people.

6. "Management drove out all the good developers"

Former Employee - Developer in Taylorsville, UT
    Former Employee - Developer in Taylorsville, UT

I worked at inthinc Technology Solutions (Less than a year)

Pros

Meaningful work. Interesting technology. Some good coworkers. Opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Did I mention opportunities for advancement? Yeah, that's because they've lost most of their talented developers. There are some real culture clashes between a few key leadership roles and the devs. They've had good people quit en masse, and lost the majority of their tribal knowledge.

Also some serious, serious concerns about the financial future of the company. Given that profits are low to negative, and there is very, very little capacity for innovation left, I suspect the company is in a death spiral.

Advice to Management

There are some people developers don't like to work for. They need to go. While you're at it, trim the management fat. At this point, you don't have sufficient people doing the actual work to justify the number of deciders.

"Lack of leadership"

I worked at inthinc Technology Solutions full-time

Pros

A beneficial business to society. It is a product that you should be proud to work with. Some unique advantages in the technology that are hard to replicate for competitors.

Cons

Leadership is absent. No teamwork. It is a survivor environment where everyone is working against each other instead of as a team.

Advice to Management

Get a new CEO. The top person is holding the company back and is the main cause of the constant turnover.

"Downward Spiral"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sandy, UT

I worked at inthinc Technology Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good technology if it is ever finished. Great operations management.

Cons

Poor leadership. Constant infighting on executive staff.

Advice to Management

Need a CEO with leadership qualities.

"Could be great!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at inthinc Technology Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many great employees who care about the success of the company.
    Very promising product.
    Very relaxed culture.

Cons

Seemingly disengaged Executive Leaders.
    Too many product lines make it difficult to be a subject matter expert.
    No processes
    No organizational decision making authority below Exec level
    No accountability for poor performance or mechanism to recognize good performance.

Advice to Management

Employees are upset and many are looking elsewhere. A cultural change is needed (see list of cons for actionable items). You can't just talk about it. You need to be the examples of the change and the organization will follow. Be swift! You are about to lose a lot of great employees and will be left with mediocrity.

"Only if you're desparate!"

Current Employee - Engineering in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Engineering in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

The people there have good intentions but they are constantly trying to make a sub-standard product function properly.

Cons

The company leadership does not provide a well thought out business strategy, They are unwilling to hold the engineering management accountable for poorly designed, unreliable and untested products. The products (both hardware and software) are released with known defects. There are many better quality, less expensive and easier to implement product available on the market they have a difficult time competing. They continue to loss major accounts to the competition for all the reasons mentioned above. The company is in an unrecoverable, downward spiral and I need to hit the eject button as soon as possible.

Advice to Management

Stop developing sub-standard product with same engineering team that created the previous disasters. Become a re-seller of several of the more reliable products available on the market that actually provide the customers the features they pay for.