iomart Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
iomart CEO Angus MacSween
Angus MacSween

"Avoid like the Plague"

Former Employee - Pre Sales in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Pre Sales in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at iomart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pays the bills, but that's it

Cons

Where to start:

1. CEO should retire and get someone younger in there who can actually run a sales lead organization
    2. Management is waiting for the company to sell, so they can cash in their shares. Unwilling to change anything that might jeopardize that, and employees suffer as a result
    3. No trust of employees

The positive reviews must be from Management because the moral is slow low it's impossible anyone would wright anything positive about this hole.

Advice to Management

Send the old guy to pasture

2. "It will be a great company once.."

Former Employee - Technical Solutions Architect in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Technical Solutions Architect in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at iomart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Largest Data Centre Co-Location provider in the UK

Cons

Not as hot in Cloud Technologies as they make out

Advice to Management

Have CEO and COO move to a different office/location away from operations staff. Please invest more in staff gaining certifications in general IT and not just Vendor tied exams and certificates.

3. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at iomart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly Atmosphere
    Great Products - the service (almost!) sells itself!
    Good salary and bonus schemes.
    Willingness to listen to staff.
    Good communication from the management inc regular updates and 1-to-1s for personal and professional development.
    Free breakfast and monthly lunches, fresh fruit daily.

Cons

Hard to think of many cons - it took a very good opportunity with a startup to even get me to consider leaving the company.
    The only things I could think of would possibly be a need for investment in new office chairs etc - current ones are slightly tired. Small thing though.

Advice to Management

The company is undergoing growth and this provides great opportunities for existing staff to progress and also for external hires. Need to ensure the balance is correct so that existing employees continue to see the opportunity to progress.

"Back stabbing culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at iomart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back environment
    Left to get on with work

Cons

Major backstabbing culture everyone looks out for themselves

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on your middle management tier - they take fiction as fact. Have an open door policy with C*O level

"Awful company"

I worked at iomart full-time

Pros

None, absolutely none what so ever

Cons

All, everything you've ever thought of when it comes to bad business and management, it's not even a joke

Advice to Management

Very bad company, or better put, a company run by sales that have no idea about IT, IT Management, Process Management or Change Management... and the list goes on. The only reason they haven't crashed and burnt is due to being an acquisition company; ask them for an audit and you'll get the picture

"Off to a great start"

Current Employee - Marketing Event Coordinator in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing Event Coordinator in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at iomart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have only been here for six months and I am loving every minute of it. The support you get from your team and the company is second to none. The different opportunities that I have also been given whilst being here have been amazing. Being apart of the marketing team has allowed me to travel to different events across the UK.

Cons

I can't think of any cons. If I was to choose one thing it would be the fact that we get a hot roll every Friday...which I just cannot resist!! So even then, that is, in my opinion, a positive not a con!

Advice to Management

I have only been here for a short period of time and I can honestly say that the management is the best I have encountered. iomart has great opportunities for everyone.

8. "Great company to work for with fantastic progression opportunities"

Current Employee - Marketing Data Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing Data Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at iomart (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked at iomart for nearly two years now and can honestly say I have never worked for a better company. I work within a great team who do everything they can to support me.

One of the best things about working for iomart is the progression opportunities. Within one year I had been promoted to a management position and now have a small team. To support this new role I was also put on a management and training programme which was extremely beneficial.

Other benefits include - travel opportunities (visiting other parts of the iomart group across the UK as well as events & conferences), lovely offices and working environment, and of course...free lunch once a month and hot rolls on a Friday!

Cons

Probably one of the only cons for me would be location. As I do not live in the Glasgow area and I do not drive, I have a long commute time. However having said that, the transport links are really good, with both train and bus options available, so have never had any problems getting to and from work.

Advice to Management

Continue to support all staff members and help them to progress their careers, you have done great so far.

9. "Good things are happening!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at iomart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If your a techie then there's not many better places to be. There is endless technologies to get your hands on. Career progression is encouraged in what feels like a regeneration of iomart, there are many areas of the business group wide available to you should you feel you are better suited somewhere else. Now realise that professional certifications / training is not only a benefit to staff but a benefit to customers in the support they receive. A medium sized company with the atmosphere of a small company, lively place to work.

Cons

Can be stressful at times juggling many projects or cases at the same time. Not everyone can handle this type of pressure. For others its the norm.

Advice to Management

As the company grows so does the workload, the staffing numbers in certain areas could be bolstered.

10. "Interesting, extremely fast paced and exciting environment"

Current Employee - Senior Infrastructure Engineer in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Infrastructure Engineer in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at iomart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: I’m a current employee at iomart. I should highlight that I’m not a manager although I am a senior member of the technical department. I’ve worked at this organisation for just over three years. I joined the company as a NOC technician working night shifts. Working as a 24/7 NOC technician is extremely hard work but as they say it’s a “foot in the door”. Iomart is a small company with around 400 employees and it’s aggressively growing in size. This creates an interesting, extremely fast paced and exciting environment. Due to the small number of employees this probably isn’t the place for people who like to coast along and don’t have in interest in proactively developing themselves. On the other hand, if you want to join a rapidly growing company that truly cares about its employees, a company where there is significant opportunity and success is rewarded based on performance then this is the company for you. A and B players welcome, C players need not apply.

Cons

There has been issues with communication throughout the organisation and with staff training resources… certainly for the first year or so that I’ve been working here. I have to say that this has just about been completely rectified. Internal communication is much better, in my department everyone feels part of a close knit team who are all moving together in the right direction. The in-house training is now vast with AWS, VMWare, Cisco and so much more - all available to every employee.

Advice to Management

The journey the company has made in the three years that I’ve worked here has been remarkable, I personally can’t wait to find out what the next three hold. Continue investing in your employees and culture.

"SystemsUp - Life is like a box of chocolates... if you're into that sort of thing"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at iomart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SytemsUp are part of the iomart group, following a recent acquisition. So the small company feel will eventually change for the better.

If you like being thrust into the deep-end and thrive under [enormous] pressure, you can find yourself in varied projects. Although the focus is cloud, there's a lot of small traditional IT projects you'll end up on. You will learn a lot!

No selling. As a pure professional services outfit, SystemsUp don't sell kit. The vendor-neutral approach means that often you'll be proposing the "best " solution to customers rather than the one that nets your company the highest commission.

If you're a geek and do certifications, you're financially rewarded for meeting your cert. targets
    Great bunch of motivated guys to work with.

Good bonuses: Christmas and others

25 days holiday standard.

Exams and other business-related expenses are paid for.

Cons

Often, you're expected to assume the role of a very experienced SME at short notice on certain projects. Works well with some technologies around which you may already have a good base understanding, but potentially disastrous for other areas - i.e. very stressful when all eyes are on you as the consultant. As a small company, SystemsUp are still finding their feet when it comes to ensuring employee satisfaction. It seems they're not really bothered and won't win any medals for this.

As a consultant, there's no real work-life balance. You could be travelling up to 100% of the time depending on the assignment (great for single guys though). You will be told about this in advance and only apply if you don't mind living out of a suitcase for weeks on end potentially.

Management are anti home-working - if you're on the bench, you must report to HQ in London (ouch!). This had become more pronounced since the acquisition by iomart who are keen to see their investment bringing fruits - bench time must be scary for them!

Bench time. You may find yourself suddenly without a project through no fault of your own. Not the ideal position to be in and because SystemsUp don't have a solid sales strategy (most business is through word-of-mouth recommendations) and business development is frankly shocking, this could happen quite regularly.

No paid study leave nor paid time off to do exams.

No sick pay - yes, you read that right only statutory sick pay.

Advice to Management

Consider embracing the art of employee relations and build a solid sales strategy to get new business. The people that work for you are highly motivated but don't enjoy being treating like crap when on the bench through no fault of their own.