ipsy Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 3, 2018

3.1
Marcelo Camberos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good Company With Clear Leadership"

I have been working at ipsy full-time

Pros

After working at several other By area startups, I decided to give ipsy a chance. I've been working here for 8 months and I can say it's been by far the best experience I've had. Unlike other companies where the strategy changes one minute to the next, ipsy has clear leadership that stands for the company values. Compensation is good. Overall I find it to be a good company atmosphere.

Cons

I wish they had a better food selection in the office. Also the bathrooms and facilities leave a lot to be desired!

Advice to Management

Keep it up, invest more in facilities to be competitive with bay area

"Strong ideas, corrupt management"

I have been working at ipsy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great general work culture, take care of their employees, flexible, great mission

Cons

Management in ipsyCare is elitist, promotions seem to be already chosen though they encourage applicants. ipsyCare management takes special care to be most unknowledgeable about policies and procedures, and upper management is so "busy" they have no time to understand their management team needs serious restructuring and ego checks. Sensitivity training should be given to all in management, specifically ipsyCare, as many do not connect enough to their employees to understand how to deliver basic empathy to their staff. It is my belief that ipsy and the rest of the department heads should seriously take a deep look into ipsyCare's management - things could stand to be changed around drastically. New faces breed new and better ideas, in my opinion!

Advice to Management

Restructure!

3. "Strong strategy and culture"

I have been working at ipsy full-time

Pros

Company that is growing well, strong strategy and cares about employees. I have been impressed with my colleagues and with the management team.

Cons

If you're looking for an environment where there are drinks every night, ping poong table, free food this may not be your thing.

"Terrific business but at the expense of employee morale"

I have been working at ipsy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ipsy is a good company to work for because the product is exciting and users generally love it. It is also the biggest subscription service out there.

Cons

- The team runs from one fire to the next without a care for the big picture
    - Top-down authoritarian culture permeates throughout the company
    - Cost cutting to the point where employees are pushed to the edge
    - Perks that show no care about employees: no 100% insurance coverage, no catered lunches

"Agents are unappreciated and tired"

Current Employee - Flex Agent in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Flex Agent in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at ipsy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible, healthy snacks in the office

Cons

Demeaning management, extremely high turnover rate, reps are overworked and given unrealistic goals, no room for growth, favoritism for overbearing teacher pet personalities, the entire team is terrified of quality assurance which remains inaccurate and unsteady

Advice to Management

Treat us like we matter to the organization

"Incoherent Strategy, Below Par Career Development"

I have been working at ipsy full-time

Pros

- Biggest beauty subscription
    - Nice and friendly working environment

Cons

- Incoherent strategy: in the past 3 years, the company's strategy has shifted about 3 times - each time with a promise of bigger and better things. But still, there is no clear path to an exit strategy - no guiding north star from a business perspective.
    - Terrible Career Development: Career development for employees is more a factor of random resource needs in various areas vs. an actual plan for individuals careers. One of the biggest things that a growing startup generally offers is an opportunity to grow with the company. Sadly, in the case of ipsy, this is not true for all employees as career growth still follow a random path.
    - Benefits: Basic benefits that are commonplace in the bay area such as lunches for employees, phone plans are all missing even if you use your phone all the time for work conference calls.

Advice to Management

- Build a clear strategy and give employees time to get behind it rather than flip-flopping every few months
    - Motivate employees through their development and providing an amazing environment to work in. Plenty of examples in the bay area for this. Cannot be that hard to emulate those. Get the basics right

"Nice people, poor CEO and management"

I have been working at ipsy full-time

Pros

Smart people
    Free Glam Bag
    Pretty flexible on work from home

Cons

No process
    No accountability
    Everyone things they are an expert of all things and don't allow anyone to actually do their job
    CEO is blatantly rude and disrespectful, and causes a lot of really unnecessary stress; intimidates and bullies people
    Management in general is not accountable- lots of talking, very little action

Advice to Management

If you've hired a team to do a job, let me them do it, or focus on hiring people who will simply execute and not have an opinion

"The best job I've had, but it's not perfect"

I have been working at ipsy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hours and work/life balance, ipsy pays well (+ yearly raises and bonuses) and makes it clear that they care about their employees. Most of the staff is really cool too.

Cons

Upper level management can be difficult to work with and has unreasonable expectations at times.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees to make the right decisions for the company and listen to their opinions, rather than constantly dictating.

"So Much Potential but Falls Short"

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative

I have been working at ipsy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the work atmosphere and the people are great. They have fun events and celebrate birthdays. They include the whole company for updates about the upcoming things for ipsy. My favorite pro is the flexibility ipsy offers their employees.

Cons

Growth is incredibly difficult and can be unfair. Tenure doesn't always play in your favor and sometimes when you feel a position will lead to a promotion or more, it falls short and you're left with disappointment. Too many remote agents have split up the ipsyCare team where we can no longer go on off sites and fun stuff like we did before. Management does a lot of talk but so little action.

Advice to Management

Recognize the great talents you have and reward them FAIRLY!

"weak management / not a great social environment"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at ipsy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- they are flexible on vacations and off times

Cons

- weak company management, decisions change quite often and unpredictably. feels like they are not thought throughly.
    - the management gathers everyone and talks about themselves/praises themselves and make the company applaud them pretty often. feels a little narcissist on their side :)
    - the way the company is managed is very inefficient. for example there is a company wide 30 minutes meeting every monday which is an information overflow for everybody (hence waste of time).
    - packed office, your desk is next to someone else's desk and there is there is another rack of desks right behind you, often times it becomes too noisy to work. there is not any ergonomics whatsoever.
    - most of the engineers are foreign. probably because of that work environment feels very anti-social. no happy hours, no hanging outs outside of work.
    - company has hard time recruiting new software engineers. be ready for a lot of interviews. probably because of this H1B holder ratio is very high in the company.
    - from the engineering perspective, engineering management is a mess. I've seen resources being allocated to unnecessary framework changes and in-house implementations of things such as routers and deployment systems. On the other hand there are other pushing features with deadlines that people rush to complete. Often times team responsibilities change etc. Seems like a waste of resource allocation when there is both.

Advice to Management

try to invest more in employees and work environment