ipsy Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Marcelo Camberos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Not perfect, but I'm happy here :)"

I have been working at ipsy full-time

Pros

Remote work, flexibility, great support, decent pay, amazing benefits.

Cons

Miscommunications and slight passive aggressiveness amongst the team, but this is all companies.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your team and keeping their happiness in mind.

"So much potential, so little respect for employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at ipsy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has great product-market fit and operational efficiency with the Glam Bag program. They're profitable and customers love their product.

The office is stocked with snacks and drinks, and there are parties a couple of times a year.

There are lots of fun, hardworking employees who genuinely care about customers and coworkers.

Cons

Upper management is a hot mess. For such a (relatively) small company, it's unusual that top executives are so inaccessible and uncommunicative. The CEO likes to show up to play the "cool boss" card but never seems to be around for the hard conversations and doesn't really engage with or get to know most employees.

Many department heads are very intense personalities who care so much about making themselves look good that they focus only on hitting arbitrary metrics, without thinking strategically about the long-term effects of their decisions on the business, or on the health of their teams.

Managers often throw other team members under the bus to protect themselves, or actively prevent their direct reports from growing within the company.

Within a single year, multiple teams had a 50% turnover rate. Many people quit without another position lined up, simply because they couldn't stand the work environment anymore.

In February 2017, the entire company was asked to participate in an employee sentiment survey. The detailed results were never shared with employees, and nothing actionable was done other than holding 3 focus groups with a small set of employees on specific culture and compensation topics. All we heard was that sentiment was generally negative, and that leadership was concerned about the feedback. Nothing changed as a result of it.

Pay at ipsy is generally below market value by at least 20%. Many employees stay despite the pay because they love their coworkers and care about the product, but overall culture has gotten so bad that it's harder and harder to justify the below-market compensation. Go somewhere else where your input and work will be valued and compensated fairly!

Advice to Management

Take your abysmal employee retention rate seriously and start doing something about it. You need to commit to a total culture overhaul, or you will continue to lose good employees.

"Favorite Place to work ever!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at ipsy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SUPER nice colleagues, fun office, work from home available, great benefits, snacks in kitchens, and best of all, I feel like ipsy really cares about my personal life AND my career aspirations. Always really fun events and offsites, etc.

Cons

so far, there are no downsides!

"Best subscription product, not the best workplace"

I have been working at ipsy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast growing, financially sound and business savvy firm focused on delivering a delightful experience to its customers.

Cons

- Low base compensation compared to other companies of similar size and revenue in the San Francisco Bay area
    - Low bonus compared to other companies of similar size and revenue in the San Francisco Bay area
    - On-site amenities (snacks, facilities, equipment) and perks (no 100% health insurance coverage, no free meals, no gym reimbursements) below par compared to successful mid-size companies in the San Francisco Bay area

"Customer Care"

Former Employee - Customer Care Manager
    Former Employee - Customer Care Manager

I worked at ipsy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing office culture! Open to new ideas. Open communication. Wonderful coworkers and fantastic managers. Everybody cares so much for the company and for each other.
    Great benefits. Great location. Great people.
    So much fun.
    And:
    Yes, it is glamorous.

Cons

I love an open workplace, but it can get loud! Couldn't use my mechanical keyboard!

6. "Great Office Culture"

I worked at ipsy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone at ipsy is great to work with
    Awesome benefits + perks

Cons

Little room for growth

7. "Customer Care Representative"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at ipsy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing team, friendly staff, flexible hours

Cons

Compensation does not align with Bay Area housing market

"Good company, lack of perks and pay!"

I worked at ipsy full-time

Pros

The company's business is doing well.

They offer basic perks like once a week free lunch, commuter benefit worth of 125$, and basic health, dental n vision, and also some free snacks, which are most of the time empty.

The co-workers are fun to work with. The environment is positive and most people are friendly. Also, good in terms of work life balance.

Cons

If you compare the perks to the similar silicon valley companies, it just doesn't compare. Forget about offering free meals, they don't offer fruits everyday. They have it once in a week.

They don't give enough importance to their engineers as they should. Both in terms of pay, and work. No game rooms, no free food, no happy hour, no gym & phone reimbursement. The stock compensation is also in low compared to other companies in valley.

Retention has been a major problem recently. All the smart people in all most all the teams are leaving. Leadership doesn't seem to be worried at all about this.

Advice to Management

Invest money on making sure that your employees are happy. Be open and transparent about the business strategies. Invest more on benefits and try to attract better talent.

"Fun, but a mess."

I worked at ipsy (More than a year)

Pros

From a culture standpoint, ipsy is 100% a "fun" company. The benefits are great, people are young and hungry to work hard, there are plenty of opportunities to mingle with one another, and the product itself is doing well. They provide a ton of snacks, one free lunch a week, and have open bar work events. The main reason I loved working at ipsy was because of the people. The employees truly treat each other like family, which means we all share in the growing pains that is ipsy. This leads me to the cons...

Cons

Where do I even begin? To start, the company has grown too fast and isn't prepared for all the rapid growth and changes happening. When I started at ipsy, I rarely saw a colleague leave the company. Now, I can count at least a dozen people from various departments, junior to senior level, who have left ipsy since the beginning of the year. The head of people, who supposedly is in charge of growth, hasn't made any real, positive changes or impact which has resulted in the loss of many employees. Management is very hit or miss, all depending on which organization you're in. A lot of unqualified people are in higher roles, while some individuals who work hard every day are not being recognized. Some departments are doing great, but most are suffering with the turnover rate ipsy is currently experiencing. There have been multiple incidents where employees were practically promised a promotion, only to come find it wouldn't be happening. If you do get promoted, it's likely because they want to be cost effective and pay you a low salary instead of hiring an external applicant who knows their salary worth. They won't provide standing desks for less valued departments, but will keep certain higher up employees for reasons unknown to everyone. And pay? Don't expect a high salary unless you're senior level or are worked to the bone, then finally given the salary you deserved. At the end of the day, I don't believe that makeup subscriptions will last much longer and are very much a trend, so I'm glad I got to experience ipsy's glory years.

Advice to Management

Reward employees that deserve it, and admit when certain individuals aren't doing their jobs well and remove these weak links before everyone else leaves.

"Great coworkers, bad management."

I worked at ipsy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing employees who care and support one another
    Very accommodating regarding time off or WFH
    Great health/dental package
    Stock options (but not yet public)

Cons

Not much transparency, no matter what they say
    Bad management/leadership
    No bonuses or overtime pay
    Yearly raises......not always
    No clear job description (tasks added onto workload with no increase in pay)
    Overworked/underpaid
    Culture has decreased drastically
    Not much communication among different offices

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees and treat them with respect. Don't think of the ultimate dollar. Be transparent and promote within or run the risk of losing employees.