ipsy Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Marcelo Camberos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Favorite Place to work ever!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at ipsy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SUPER nice colleagues, fun office, work from home available, great benefits, snacks in kitchens, and best of all, I feel like ipsy really cares about my personal life AND my career aspirations. Always really fun events and offsites, etc.

Cons

so far, there are no downsides!

2. "Ipsy is great!"

I have been working at ipsy full-time

Pros

I've been at this job for 6 months and really love it. Co-workers are truly nice and there's no politics, company is doing great, so far no real issues

Cons

So far no real issues that I've seen. Salaries could be a bit higher given how expensive it is to live in bay area

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

"Incoherent Strategy, Below Par Career Development"

I have been working at ipsy full-time

Pros

- Biggest beauty subscription
    - Nice and friendly working environment

Cons

- Incoherent strategy: in the past 3 years, the company's strategy has shifted about 3 times - each time with a promise of bigger and better things. But still, there is no clear path to an exit strategy - no guiding north star from a business perspective.
    - Terrible Career Development: Career development for employees is more a factor of random resource needs in various areas vs. an actual plan for individuals careers. One of the biggest things that a growing startup generally offers is an opportunity to grow with the company. Sadly, in the case of ipsy, this is not true for all employees as career growth still follow a random path.
    - Benefits: Basic benefits that are commonplace in the bay area such as lunches for employees, phone plans are all missing even if you use your phone all the time for work conference calls.

Advice to Management

- Build a clear strategy and give employees time to get behind it rather than flip-flopping every few months
    - Motivate employees through their development and providing an amazing environment to work in. Plenty of examples in the bay area for this. Cannot be that hard to emulate those. Get the basics right

"Nice people, poor CEO and management"

I have been working at ipsy full-time

Pros

Smart people
    Free Glam Bag
    Pretty flexible on work from home

Cons

No process
    No accountability
    Everyone things they are an expert of all things and don't allow anyone to actually do their job
    CEO is blatantly rude and disrespectful, and causes a lot of really unnecessary stress; intimidates and bullies people
    Management in general is not accountable- lots of talking, very little action

Advice to Management

If you've hired a team to do a job, let me them do it, or focus on hiring people who will simply execute and not have an opinion

5. "The best job I've had, but it's not perfect"

I have been working at ipsy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hours and work/life balance, ipsy pays well (+ yearly raises and bonuses) and makes it clear that they care about their employees. Most of the staff is really cool too.

Cons

Upper level management can be difficult to work with and has unreasonable expectations at times.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees to make the right decisions for the company and listen to their opinions, rather than constantly dictating.

"weak management / not a great social environment"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at ipsy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- they are flexible on vacations and off times

Cons

- weak company management, decisions change quite often and unpredictably. feels like they are not thought throughly.
    - the management gathers everyone and talks about themselves/praises themselves and make the company applaud them pretty often. feels a little narcissist on their side :)
    - the way the company is managed is very inefficient. for example there is a company wide 30 minutes meeting every monday which is an information overflow for everybody (hence waste of time).
    - packed office, your desk is next to someone else's desk and there is there is another rack of desks right behind you, often times it becomes too noisy to work. there is not any ergonomics whatsoever.
    - most of the engineers are foreign. probably because of that work environment feels very anti-social. no happy hours, no hanging outs outside of work.
    - company has hard time recruiting new software engineers. be ready for a lot of interviews. probably because of this H1B holder ratio is very high in the company.
    - from the engineering perspective, engineering management is a mess. I've seen resources being allocated to unnecessary framework changes and in-house implementations of things such as routers and deployment systems. On the other hand there are other pushing features with deadlines that people rush to complete. Often times team responsibilities change etc. Seems like a waste of resource allocation when there is both.

Advice to Management

try to invest more in employees and work environment

"So Much Potential but Falls Short"

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative

I have been working at ipsy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the work atmosphere and the people are great. They have fun events and celebrate birthdays. They include the whole company for updates about the upcoming things for ipsy. My favorite pro is the flexibility ipsy offers their employees.

Cons

Growth is incredibly difficult and can be unfair. Tenure doesn't always play in your favor and sometimes when you feel a position will lead to a promotion or more, it falls short and you're left with disappointment. Too many remote agents have split up the ipsyCare team where we can no longer go on off sites and fun stuff like we did before. Management does a lot of talk but so little action.

Advice to Management

Recognize the great talents you have and reward them FAIRLY!

"Great experience"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at ipsy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working at ipsy for nearly 3 years and have a great experience. Co-workers are great, company is doing well, and management is experienced.

Cons

Office could be better, compensation can be on the low side, particularly on equity.

Advice to Management

Everyone is working very hard and could go to other companies, increase compensation to keep the great people you have.

"Software Engineer"

Pros

Good life work balance. Flexible work time.

Cons

Office space and meeting utility needs improvement.

10. "Very happy at Ipsy"

I have been working at ipsy full-time

Pros

I've been at Ipsy for 3 years now and am surprised the rating is not stronger since it's the best company I've worked for. strong company profile, improving career opportunities and salaries

Cons

Would be great to have 401k matching, san mateo location is not ideal

Advice to Management

Grow team faster, some teams are overworked