ipsy Reviews | Glassdoor

ipsy CEO Marcelo Camberos
Marcelo Camberos
  1. Good Company With Clear Leadership

I have been working at ipsy full-time

Pros

After working at several other By area startups, I decided to give ipsy a chance. I've been working here for 8 months and I can say it's been by far the best experience I've had. Unlike other companies where the strategy changes one minute to the next, ipsy has clear leadership that stands for the company values. Compensation is good. Overall I find it to be a good company atmosphere.

Cons

I wish they had a better food selection in the office. Also the bathrooms and facilities leave a lot to be desired!

Advice to Management

Keep it up, invest more in facilities to be competitive with bay area

Studio Operations

Former Employee - Operations in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at ipsy full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Amazing people who are kind, hardworking, and inspiring. The LA office has a lean team which means you get exposure to a lot of new and exciting projects. Plus dogs are allowed in the office, which is a definite morale booster!

Cons

Upper management/executives don't listen to lower-tiered employees on ideas to improve the company, both internally and externally. Strategies change from month-to-month, which trickles down to frustration, confusion, and disorganization. There's no clear communication on how budget is allocated throughout the company, which makes it difficult for the media team to create compelling marketing content.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and learn from them - they have amazing ideas. Stick to the strategies laid out at the beginning of the year, give more budget, and trust your teams to create great results. Give more budget to the LA team and make influencer marketing/media production a higher priority.

3. Management’s Lack of Experience is Glaring

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at ipsy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fairly simple and flexible job.

Cons

Management team does not view ipsyCare agents as their true equal. Care must be taken to properly stroke their egos while remaining pleasantly submissive in their presence instead of having serious and effective conversations about why the department turnover is through the roof. Gaslighting techniques are often implemented in order to maintain order and control of the team. Growth is contingent on whether or not you’re...

Advice to Management

Lets begin having clear honest dialogue about serious issues before you continue losing some very talented, and hard-working women to organizations who will give them better treatment!

Strong ideas, corrupt management

I have been working at ipsy full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Great general work culture, take care of their employees, flexible, great mission

Cons

Management in ipsyCare is elitist, promotions seem to be already chosen though they encourage applicants. ipsyCare management takes special care to be most unknowledgeable about policies and procedures, and upper management is so "busy" they have no time to understand their management team needs serious restructuring and ego checks. Sensitivity training should be given to all in management, specifically ipsyCare, as...

Advice to Management

Restructure!

Strong strategy and culture

I have been working at ipsy full-time

Pros

Company that is growing well, strong strategy and cares about employees. I have been impressed with my colleagues and with the management team.

Cons

If you're looking for an environment where there are drinks every night, ping poong table, free food this may not be your thing.

Terrific business but at the expense of employee morale

I have been working at ipsy full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

ipsy is a good company to work for because the product is exciting and users generally love it. It is also the biggest subscription service out there.

Cons

- The team runs from one fire to the next without a care for the big picture - Top-down authoritarian culture permeates throughout the company - Cost cutting to the point where employees are pushed to the edge - Perks that show no care about employees: no 100% insurance coverage, no catered lunches

Agents are unappreciated and tired

Current Employee - Flex Agent in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at ipsy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible, healthy snacks in the office

Cons

Demeaning management, extremely high turnover rate, reps are overworked and given unrealistic goals, no room for growth, favoritism for overbearing teacher pet personalities, the entire team is terrified of quality assurance which remains inaccurate and unsteady

Advice to Management

Treat us like we matter to the organization

So Much Potential but Falls Short

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative

I have been working at ipsy full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

I love the work atmosphere and the people are great. They have fun events and celebrate birthdays. They include the whole company for updates about the upcoming things for ipsy. My favorite pro is the flexibility ipsy offers their employees.

Cons

Growth is incredibly difficult and can be unfair. Tenure doesn't always play in your favor and sometimes when you feel a position will lead to a promotion or more, it falls short and you're left with disappointment. Too many remote agents have split up the ipsyCare team where we can no longer go on off sites and fun stuff like we did before. Management does a lot of talk but so little action.

Advice to Management

Recognize the great talents you have and reward them FAIRLY!

Incoherent Strategy, Below Par Career Development

I have been working at ipsy full-time

Pros

- Biggest beauty subscription - Nice and friendly working environment

Cons

- Incoherent strategy: in the past 3 years, the company's strategy has shifted about 3 times - each time with a promise of bigger and better things. But still, there is no clear path to an exit strategy - no guiding north star from a business perspective. - Terrible Career Development: Career development for employees is more a factor of random resource needs in various areas vs. an actual plan for individuals careers....

Advice to Management

- Build a clear strategy and give employees time to get behind it rather than flip-flopping every few months - Motivate employees through their development and providing an amazing environment to work in. Plenty of examples in the bay area for this. Cannot be that hard to emulate those. Get the basics right

Nice people, poor CEO and management

I have been working at ipsy full-time

Pros

Smart people Free Glam Bag Pretty flexible on work from home

Cons

No process No accountability Everyone things they are an expert of all things and don't allow anyone to actually do their job CEO is blatantly rude and disrespectful, and causes a lot of really unnecessary stress; intimidates and bullies people Management in general is not accountable- lots of talking, very little action

Advice to Management

If you've hired a team to do a job, let me them do it, or focus on hiring people who will simply execute and not have an opinion

Found 47 reviews