ipsy Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Marcelo Camberos

"great place to work"

I have been working at ipsy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

company has fun working environment and exciting growth

Cons

i enjoy working at ipsy

"Positive Environment, Company Goals to Get Behind"

I have been working at ipsy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Everyone working here is passionate about the company
    - Company is fairly transparent to all employees, encouraging excitement and participation in growth
    - Some nice perks, such as one lunch out a week, a subscription and occasional extra goodies
    - Profitable, growing company creates a feeling of secure employment

Cons

- Limited growth opportunity to hire from within
    - Strong lack of communication between offices
    - Occasional lack of focus
    - Not competitive pay at all, especially at "lower" positions. Cost of living is not met for some positions.
    - Limited perks compared to similar Bay Area companies

Advice to Management

As people leave for other companies, take a look at the salaries or hourly wages you are offering those employees and other employees. A strong emphasis is put on engineering/top positions, as with most companies, but the balance between pay compensation for roles is mounting. Ask your employees directly about how they feel about their pay not in relation to how passionate they are about ipsy. Offer common perks like 401k matching. Strengthen employee feelings about the company with surprises, "swag", ect.

"All over the place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at ipsy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Recent funding
    The quality of the product is good

Cons

High-stress culture. Future of subscription boxes isn't great, so that's always a concern. Second what other reviews said about micro-managing and little growth opportunity so not the type of place you'd stay a long time. More of a "in the meantime" job.

Advice to Management

Hire good people and get out of the way.

"BEST WORK PLACE EVER"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Pros

I have never had a job where I've been so excited to wake up and get ready for. The people are so amazing and everyday is full of laughter. The company is growing and there's so many opportunities to grow with the company.

Cons

No 401K match but hopefully as the company grows, there will be in the near future.

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome!

"Having Fun at Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Pros

I've worked at some jobs where I loved the job wholeheartedly. I've also worked at other jobs where I couldn't stand stepping foot into the building and was counting down the seconds until I could leave. I'm glad to say I'm fully happy working at ipsy. It's nice working in a fun and welcoming environment. The hours are flexible and the people are great. I feel like I'm appreciated and treated well. I feel like my opinions are heard and I like that I can have fun with my co-workers while still getting work done.

Cons

I seriously can't think of any cons right now. I have to commute a distance from home to work, but other than that, there's nothing bad I can say about working for ipsy.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Great, growing start up"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at ipsy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance in a start up that is completely sky rocketing. There are many real opportunities to make a big difference. Really good group of people as well.
    Technology wise we are doing some very interesting things as well, with machine learning and large data sets.
    Location is nice as well, right next to Caltrain.

Cons

I am a man, so I do not use the product myself.

"Well managed company with a bright future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at ipsy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at a small self-sufficient fast growing company has a lot of benefits over working at a new startup with shaky financial ground. ipsy is a very well managed company with a bright future; management knows what they do and are open about the strategy with other employees. People here are very invested in the company, passionate about their work and willing to help each other. You may find yourself just starting another job, and finding a lot of friends. Our office in the downtown San Mateo is a very nice working place. Getting free cosmetics is another perk of working at ipsy.

Cons

There is a good work-life balance overall, but sometimes you will need to work overtime to meet deadlines.

"Great Vibes!"

Current Employee - IpsyCare in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - IpsyCare in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at ipsy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at ipsy for the past 6 months has been amazing, to say the least! Within the time I've been here I've seen this company rapidly expand while still keeping true to it's core values and easy laid-back vibe. Many new opportunities have been popping up left and right- it's truly amazing to watch the success of ipsy.

-Every single employee is fiercely loyal and therefore the performances each day come from passion rather than just duty.

-Schedules are very flexible. This contributes to the laid-back vibe at the company.

-Management is beyond wonderful. They don't miss out on the little things and always give shout outs to employees who have excelled. Things like this really help to keep everyone motivated.

-Lunch on the company every week is also fabulous. Plus all the make-up goodies every couple of months!

Cons

Wish they extended more opportunities for growth from within the company.

"Working at ipsy rocks."

I have been working at ipsy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Everyone is very down-to-earth and fun to work with. There are a lot of opportunities to connect during weekly lunch outings and quarterly company events, as well as day-to-day in the office, which has a relaxed atmosphere with lots of free drinks and snacks.

-We’re growing quickly, which means an exciting environment with rapid changes that keep you on your toes and moving forward.

-A highly engaged community that loves what we do. We make lots of people happy!

-An effective team with a performance-driven culture. Everyone here is great at what they do and always working hard.

-A very capable leadership team with strong backgrounds means a smart business model, executed well, and lots of learning opportunities.

-The location in San Mateo is right across from the train station in a friendly, low-key part of town with lots of good lunch spots.

-Occasional product giveaways for employees!

Cons

-The work-issued laptops aren’t great and cause a fair number of technical issues for people.

- As with a lot of start ups, many need to log time on nights, weekends, and sometimes holidays to keep up with the workload.

Advice to Management

-Consider adding more PTO for first-year employees and issuing better hardware!

-Keep up the focus on hiring, so some teams aren’t so strapped for resources and overworking.

"Great start-up with potential limited by leadership team"

I have been working at ipsy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rapid growth in subscriber base recently, especially compared to when I started
    Brands seem to be very happy with the experience of working with ipsy as they return a lot
    Frequent giveaways of beauty products and free ipsy subscription (which is only good if you use beauty products tho)
    Potential in LA with new studio opening
    Partnerships with YouTube stylists makes ipsy very different from other subscription services like birchbox

Cons

Laid back culture ipsy tries to give off by "not having titles" and letting people wear sandals to work is in direct opposition to actual policies which are inflexible & old-fashionedl.

Employees are yelled at in front of the whole company in the middle of the day.

Leadership team has limited start-up experience, strong tendency to micromanage and lacks an openmind. VERY reactionary.

Strict vacation policy.. More time off given to employees who have been here longer so even if you have 10+ years of experience as an engineer be prepared for only a very limited amount of time off while an engineer who started with ipsy as his first job will be enjoying a full month or so

No HR team

Very small Markting Team whose main focus seems to be more project management than marketing strategy

Job postings put up for several months to a year, often never contacting any applicants at all

Questionable prioritization. Like the CEO contributes to how the ipsy Facebook page should be managed, though the website experience is dismal at best and limited support is given to dev team.

Advice to Management

Encourage cross-functional teams. Empower decision-making. Update management strategies to keep up with the rest of the Bay area. Stop yelling at people in public. It sucks.