j2 Global Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

j2 Global Chief Executive Officer Hemi Zucker
Hemi Zucker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Get to work with some great people, nice atmosphere (in 17 reviews)

• Benefits are good and cover basically everything you'd need (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • And be prepared to be slowly crushed by a mediocre company run by sub-mediocre senior management (in 7 reviews)

• no raises and no bonus structure for everyone (in 6 reviews)

1. "Hemi Zucker our CEO gathered an amazing team"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Welcome to j2. I'm going to give you a problem that neither the CEO nor his entire management team could solve. And I'm probably going to give you lots of different opinions and imperfect data sources. And then I'll ask you to focus in on where the most value is and convince all those people with different opinions that you're right. But don't worry, I'm also going to work with you on the perfect solution and our CEO and our team will adopt it . You get it? This is j2!

Cons

Here's how you know you've made it at j2. The reward for doing a good job is getting a bigger, tougher problem next time. Meaning, you are always solving the easiest problem you will ever solve again. This takes a lot of resilience and active managing of self-expectations to remember that you are not actually getting worse, the problems are just getting harder. So my advice is to remember that.

Advice to Management

Continue to find and promote the leadership that lives our operating principles.

"Would you like to compete against managers that get all the leads?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Drexel Hill, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Drexel Hill, PA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time

Pros

It's a paycheck and there is pizza on Fridays.

Cons

Three managers at my location would take all of the best leads for themselves. They then started a side business and instructed the sales team to send the leads to the company they started. Of course, this was under the guise of the J2 "Lead Generation Program" that was created by one of the managers. This is a horrific place to work. Run away now.

3. "Help meeeee"

Pros

I got socks to wear like the homeless man on the street

Cons

1) socks as your bonus. 2.) Management is incompetent 3.) HR lies to you about your comp. Plans. 4.) They fire all your friends and good workers for no reason 5.) They hire guys from the 50's who dont know how to do anything and love jared fogel to take over for the current team. 6.) They owe a lot of companies money 7.) They run the complete opposite of an ethical and positive company. 8) their clients loathe them just look at reviews on line

Advice to Management

You are doing a great job clearly. You should be proud to wake up everyday and ruin your clients, co-workers, and everyone else's lives.

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Close to public transportation MTA subway.

Cons

Lots of works required to work extra hours but not getting overtime paid since in exempt salary pay. No raise even getting excellent annual performance review.

"Marketing Manager"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Hollywood, CA

I worked at j2 Global full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free fruit on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Cons

In the middile of Hollywood & Highland... too many people.

"Avoid, Avoid, Avoid...Run Far and Fast Away From This Godawful Place"

I worked at j2 Global full-time

Pros

Free food, free parking, some nice coworkers.

Cons

Management is the worst on the planet. They need to completely eradicate and obliterate the whole company's middle and top management and start all over. I worked in the sales department and was wrongfully fired at 90 days with no warning. This was quite awhile ago now and I hope I never, ever see those two managers again in my life. They had seriously compromised brains and could not manage a sales team if their lives depended on it. Had nightmares for years about them and even today am angry that they even hired me and wasted my time. I was very successful in sales before I came to j2. I could have done wonders for them but they chose to just kick me out the door. Other views are right about all levels of management at this company, they suck, plain and simple. The fact that the products are mostly old and outdated is secondary. Get a job anywhere else but here. They are ruthless. It's because they are publicly traded and they have all kinds of ways to kick out good employees if they don't think they will be good long-term performers. Tons of backstabbing and in-fighting. Those who succeed at j2 are those who perform well in their first 90 days. If you do that, you stay, and this applies to all departments. Fail to hit your numbers consistently for 3 months and you are gone absolutely, no questions asked, no more time.

Advice to Management

Re-build the company from the ground up.

"This whole company needs an overhaul..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA

I worked at j2 Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Profitable company
    - Great people
    - Quarterly events & parties.

Cons

- Constantly working beyond your capacity with chaotic requirement changes and shifting deadlines.
    - Receiving lower than expected pay raise/promotions despite increases in work load, responsibilities, and contributions made to company's yearly goals.
    - Input and feedback is barely recognized or acknowledged. Often leads to little or no change.
    - Limited engagement between upper level management and employees. Inadequate effort being made to reinforce the relationship between management and employees.

Advice to Management

Year after year, the top level talent in this company will continue to leave. Elevate your employees, don't continue to devalue and disengage with them. Follow through with your commitments with actions, otherwise you just inspire cynicism and distrust.

"j2 is a great place that tought me a lot and gave me stability and optimistic view on work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love my peers
    I grew and am promoted every few years
    my manager trusts me and I have access to company information
    Grew more then 10 folds since I joined
    free food, free parking, honest environment

Cons

not too many cons
    while I like the streets of Hollywood others don't
    smokers are hanging up too close to the back entrance

Advice to Management

Stay honest, keep the growing pace, love the recognition via shares. Keep the open doors and I love it that our executives are super accessible

"it's a dead-end, but it's a paycheck"

I worked at j2 Global full-time

Pros

Company seems stable. This company doesn't do layoffs, it just doesn't replace people that leave. Work life balance is pretty good. Most of the people including most of the immediate managers are ok.

Cons

Interns are the only people who give J2 glowing reviews. I wouldn't bother reading their reviews unless you are looking for a 3 month internship rather than a full time job, as interns are treated much better than full time employees at J2.

Although there is no workplace abuse, this company neither respects nor values employees and it shows. This is why there are no or almost no raises ever, no opportunities for advancement at all, highly skilled employees are taken for granted, pay and benefits are mediocre and benefits always seem to be getting worse due to relentless penny pinching despite good profits. This company is nothing if not cheap when it comes to employees. I think J2 actually wants most of its employees to leave and to replace them all with cheap people fresh out of college. That seems to be the long term plan. And I suppose they will never get raises either. There is also a fair amount of disorganization and things being badly run.

Also there is asbestos in the building and constant construction going on with no precautions taken to protect people from the dust, and so working here might pose a long term health risk. The building itself seems to be falling apart with elevators that barely work. The location is horrible, the parking lot and train station are located so that you cannot escape the madness of Hollywood Blvd including homeless people, sales people that yell at pedestrians, tourists, and having ones route to work regularly being closed for premiers.

In short you can probably do better. Although there are worse companies there are also a lot more hopeful companies to work for than J2.

Advice to Management

What's the point? They don't care

"A mix of the best and worst things you would want in a company"

Pros

Once a quarter they like to do something for the employees, like buy them lunch or do a happy hour somewhere in the area

Cons

You are right across from the Grauman's Chinese Theater and the Hollywood and Highland complex so you get all the traffic from the movie premiers and the Oscars

Advice to Management

Try listening to your employees more, but all of us are happy.