j2 Global Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
j2 Global Chief Executive Officer Hemi Zucker
Hemi Zucker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Get to work with some great people, nice atmosphere (in 17 reviews)

• Benefits are good and cover basically everything you'd need (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • And be prepared to be slowly crushed by a mediocre company run by sub-mediocre senior management (in 7 reviews)

• Many entitled and dim people in the upper management (in 7 reviews)

"Wow read the July 12 review says everything"

Pros

Get to come to work to arrogant, egotystical snobs. Cars are a depreciating asset smart.

Cons

I have worked for a few companies in my time but J2 global is by far the worst, most underpaid, arrogant, devoid of compassion company I have ever worked for. If you go here you should be hit on the head with a frying pan after reading all these negative reviews. Also whoever posted July 12 is clearly overcompensating for something....

Advice to Management

No one likes you.

"Hemi Zucker should be ashamed"

Former Employee - Management in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Management in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at j2 Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get pennies while others get millions. You get basic healthcare coverage and some free bagels in the meantime. Great.

Cons

The CEO is a coward who is unwilling to do right by the people who have helped him get and keep what he has. J2 Global is a melting pot of companies held together by hard working people. We continue to evolve our software through blood, sweat and tears while upper management continues to toss more assets from acquired and dissolved companies into the mix. Because we are a publicly traded company there are multiple sites that publish the salaries of the upper management for everyone to look at. The CEO still runs the company internally like we are a startup, penny pinching wherever they can (more on this later) all the while giving himself massive raises and bonuses. You'd think that if the company as a whole "doesn't give out performance raises or cost of living increases" that the CEO's salary would remain stagnant and not increase to 5.1 million. Well you'd be wrong. J2 global posted 1.01B revenues this last year. In every facet of the company you can see exactly why people are upset, why they are leaving and why the company has massive position vacancy.

Our 401k "match" is pathetic. We get 1,000 max from the company but you have to stay the entire year to get it deposited into your "retirement" account. Meaning you don't start earning money on this deposit the entire year you work here. Most companies match percentages monthly, that way you earn as you go and you see your nest egg increase. What are we supposed to retire on when we age out like all generations before us?

Our break rooms look like 3rd world countries. Employees scratch and scrape at empty cardboard boxes once filled with stale bagels. On fruit day you see these same people seemingly shopping our tiny selection of bananas to feed their families. While all other tech companies go above and beyond in food and beverage, it's obvious j2 only does the bare minimum to claim they do anything at all during recruitment. They bring in bagels twice a week, but not enough for the number of people here. They bring in fruit twice a week, but not enough for the number of people here. No free snacks otherwise. No free soda or energy drinks. The vending machines spit out unhealthy snacks and charge you. The coffee machines drip mold coffee. There's nowhere to really gather and the countertops/pantry fester with dirt and grime, falling apart from years of neglect.

The facilities are worn. Bathrooms and rest of building smell like a foul toilet. Something has to be wrong with this building. You'll spend over 20 minutes waiting for a stall as people have stopped caring about their jobs enough to take a poop all day long at work. "Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime, that's why we all poop on company time" reigns true at j2. At one point this last year we all had to sign a waiver saying we acknowledge that asbestos is in the workplace. The ceilings are covered it in. The piping is probably lined with carcinogens. People genuinely feel sick sitting in our cubical-less rows. No privacy. Loud. Smelly. Toxic work environment.

No performance raises. No cost of living increases. Bonus is maxed at 5% and isn't performance based. You'll work you tail off for a year and then get nothing. The CEO made another 400k this year over last year. It's a mystery when they lie and tell you that "j2 doesn't give raises" ... and from what I hear, when you threaten to quit they try desperately to keep you but by then you're already checked out. They can't match salaries. They do not understand that you should treat your employees well so that they don't want to leave. ALL OTHER TECHNOLOGY COMPANIES UNDERSTAND THIS CONCEPT.

No benefits outside of expensive medical/dental. No gym membership. Crummy transit "reimbursement." No equipment purchases. No free company phones. No free soda in the break room. No work from home. No childcare. No money towards relocation. No help finding a place to live. All of these are things technology companies do to swoon recruits.

Massive turnover. The recession ended. People see opportunity everywhere now. Glassdoor and other sites exist now that show salary averages for positions based on location. When you look up your job and you get the "omg, what the heck is wrong with j2?" shock and realize that you're underpaid by at least 20% of the industry average... long pause... you leave! The positive reviews on this site are fake. Ask around. You'll hear the truth. Proof is in the pudding. But on j2's budget, it isn't pudding it's gruel.

Advice to Management

Hemi Zucker (CEO), if you're reading this... You should think about the point of life. We leave behind a legacy. People remember icons. To be an icon you need to do more than just make money. To influence. To change the lives of others. To do right by those in need. Your employees are in need. A quick google search and you'll find out that most of your staff is unhappy. They aren't just staff. They are human beings living within their means in a region plagued by forever rising rents, high cost of utilities, stress and traffic. To not offer basic raises or better benefits - you leave this legacy. Be the change many wish to see in the world. Help us. We will be grateful.

"Avoid, Avoid, Avoid...Run Far and Fast Away From This Godawful Place"

I worked at j2 Global full-time

Pros

Free food, free parking, some nice coworkers.

Cons

Management is the worst on the planet. They need to completely eradicate and obliterate the whole company's middle and top management and start all over. I worked in the sales department and was wrongfully fired at 90 days with no warning. This was quite awhile ago now and I hope I never, ever see those two managers again in my life. They had seriously compromised brains and could not manage a sales team if their lives depended on it. Had nightmares for years about them and even today am angry that they even hired me and wasted my time. I was very successful in sales before I came to j2. I could have done wonders for them but they chose to just kick me out the door. Other views are right about all levels of management at this company, they suck, plain and simple. The fact that the products are mostly old and outdated is secondary. Get a job anywhere else but here. They are ruthless. It's because they are publicly traded and they have all kinds of ways to kick out good employees if they don't think they will be good long-term performers. Tons of backstabbing and in-fighting. Those who succeed at j2 are those who perform well in their first 90 days. If you do that, you stay, and this applies to all departments. Fail to hit your numbers consistently for 3 months and you are gone absolutely, no questions asked, no more time.

Advice to Management

Re-build the company from the ground up.

"This whole company needs an overhaul..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA

I worked at j2 Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Profitable company
    - Great people
    - Quarterly events & parties.

Cons

- Constantly working beyond your capacity with chaotic requirement changes and shifting deadlines.
    - Receiving lower than expected pay raise/promotions despite increases in work load, responsibilities, and contributions made to company's yearly goals.
    - Input and feedback is barely recognized or acknowledged. Often leads to little or no change.
    - Limited engagement between upper level management and employees. Inadequate effort being made to reinforce the relationship between management and employees.

Advice to Management

Year after year, the top level talent in this company will continue to leave. Elevate your employees, don't continue to devalue and disengage with them. Follow through with your commitments with actions, otherwise you just inspire cynicism and distrust.

"Billion Dollar Company With No Structure"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at j2 Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was able to network with people and outside vendors.

Cons

Corporate at j2 Global puts an insane amount of pressure on the upper management of the companies they acquire which then trickles down to the employees causing tremendous stress and work/home imbalance due to work volume shoved on all employees.

The amount of micromanagement is practiced to the 100th degree in any company they acquire.

They do not value their employees or provide any opportunity for their staff feel motivated and driven towards a goal or promotion. In my 2 years here I never underwent annual reviews, never received any increase in salary. When brought up to management I was told I "may" qualify for a 1% raise after 2 years.

Their hiring and screening processes are horrendous, they put people in high positions without doing due diligence on their background causing the acquired companies to suffer. In one case it actually put the office in danger because they didn't screen someone properly who was later terminated.

Their benefits were laughed at by my doctors who commented, "This is worse than Obamacare!" and I didn't even choose the free coverage provided.

Christmas Bonus? How about a nice pair of j2 Global socks to keep your toes warm.

Advice to Management

See above, take what you will.

"Cruel and Usual Punishment"

I worked at j2 Global full-time

Pros

Fast growing company with constant purchase of companies.

Cons

No many to count. From the top down, this is a company that cares ONLY about maintaining stock price and NOTHING about its employees. It's CEO is truly nasty person. He loves to tell you how much wealthier he is today than he was yesterday. He has no concerns about intimidating employees and making them feel worthless. The entire management fear the CEO and will completely succumbs to his whims.

Advice to Management

None. You're hopeless.

"Not a very professional place to work, I would not reccommend"

Former Employee - Collectios Specialist in Essington, PA
    Former Employee - Collectios Specialist in Essington, PA

I worked at j2 Global full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is the only good thing

Cons

Training is not good at all, Customers are always complaining about sales people not returning the phone calls, Management is never helpful. Management does not care about of employee's growth or advancement. They push it off because they are overloaded with work and it doesn't seem to be important to them. Customer service in all departments are terrible! No wonder why customers are switching their spam filtering service.

Advice to Management

Focus more on growing your employees instead of letting them fail. Step up and be a manager and call customers back who are requesting to speak with you!

"What an odd place"

I worked at j2 Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Healthcare is ok I think.

Cons

Old fashioned
    Bureaucratic
    Everything happens in slow motion
    Don't care about people. Everyone is replaceable
    They despise spending money on anything.

J2 is trying to be a tech company but is not even close. They don't compare in any area to a Google or Facebook from a culture and corporate perspective. They are stuck in the past. Probably because their breadwinner is fax which no tech person cares about.

Advice to Management

Replace all of them with real tech execs.

"Accountant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at j2 Global full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was fair well in comparison with the same field.

Cons

Company’s strategy is continue acquiring new companies to expand their business without understanding of human resources and manpower needed to support the extra work due to the expansion.

Advice to Management

True management is not just managing the money, it also includes managing the human resources. It should be fairly easy to see the continuous turn-over of employees which is very costly to the company both time and financially.

"Real world wage gap"

Current Employee - Product in Hollywood, FL
    Current Employee - Product in Hollywood, FL

I have been working at j2 Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a steady job at a company that claims it will last the test of time. Bagels twice a week but not enough to feed all 3 floors of employees. Fruit twice a week but not enough to feed all 3 floors of employees. Vending machines with snacks but not provided free like most tech companies and you guessed it ... not enough to feed all 3 floors of employees.

Cons

Pay is 20%+ below industry average with benefits that are slipping yearly. Bonus is no more than 5% a year. You will not get a raise and they'll be sure to tell you that you're at their "salary max for the role" when you get the job. Don't let them trick you with this - negotiate your base pay as high as possible knowing they're in desperate need of new employees as many have become smart and quit. Commuter "benefit" is a joke - it's all on you, pretax. Healthcare costs have gone up yearly with average coverage. 401k employer contribution is a flat $500 after you put in $2000. To a small company, any of this would be okay, but j2 posted a 1.095B revenue for 2016...

Research this tech balloon. They are leveraging debt by buying struggling companies to meet year over year revenue growth ... to meet executive bonus and stock vesting requirements. CEO notoriously pays himself 4.5 million a year (750k plus 3.5M in bonus and stock - public knowledge, find it online) while skimps out on employee raises, instead gifting employees a pair of cheap socks at Christmas.

Your workspace is tiny, like a long feudalism sweatshop work table lined with peasants, void of privacy and incredibly distracting when your neighbors host meetings at their unshielded desks. You're expected to clock in and out, even if you're a full time peasant - anything the lords will do to keep the peasant in his place.

Advice to Management

The CEO doesn't care for advice, as he's in it to line his pockets before he retires on his fortune in his nice house driving his nice cars. Gone are the days of lineage and honor - creating something that lasts with products people want to actually buy. This isn't Apple. j2 Global is in it for revenue growth and once the management cashes out, it will tank.

If you're listening - treat employees the way you want to be treated. If you take off 4 weeks of PTO, then give the employees the same. If your bonus is 400% of your massive salary, then give the employees the same chance to earn the same percentage. If you get annual raises, then why the hell don't your employees get the same if they've earned it. J2 Global is an example of everything wrong in America - an ever growing wage gap in a capitalist society run by greed.