j2 Global Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
j2 Global Chief Executive Officer Hemi Zucker
Hemi Zucker

Pros
  • Great people, lots of recognition and rewards if you work hard (in 14 reviews)

• Good team spirit, I worked with some really nice people in customer service (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • And be prepared to be slowly crushed by a mediocre company run by sub-mediocre senior management (in 7 reviews)

• Company is adamant about not working from home (in 4 reviews)

"Avoid this company. You can do better!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Essington, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Essington, PA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time

Pros

Your coworkers drink at lunch, so the bar is set really low.

Cons

My bonus last Christmas was a pair of socks.

Advice to Management

Keep your word. Do what you say you're going to do. Have some accountability.

"Tolerable"

Former Employee - Senior TPM in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Senior TPM in Hollywood, CA

I worked at j2 Global full-time

Pros

Hard working and friendly people

Cons

No room for upward growth - you are stuck
    Rude & weak leadership that has no respect and support for processes - too much bureaucracy
    Raise & bonus structure is very bad - people are expected to work hard but are not given raises and bonuses are far and few.

Advice to Management

Learn to appreciate your people & show it.

"If you like old school management, join J2!"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Hollywood, CA

I worked at j2 Global full-time

Pros

The people are friendly. Bagels and fruit are brought to the office.

Cons

Benefits, location and old school management style. Lots of old timers that can't see beyond the walls of J2 culture.

Advice to Management

In order to attract talent, so much needs to be done. HR policies are all out of date. Very expensive benefits plans if you plan on having dependents The 401k match is a joke. In order to have employees focus, get out of Hollywood its for entertainment and not technology development. The restrooms need updating with only two stalls for women for an entire floor. Work areas are dated and its showing!

"The CEO, Hemi Zucker, needs to be fired"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Office location is interesting (heart of Hollywood), easy work, and most of the people are nice. Bagels three times a week and fruit twice a week. Some other pros are..

- $6 movie tickets
    - Company sponsored events maybe one a quarter
    - Parking is provided for or $90 a month metro reimbursement
    - Nice and friendly co-workers

Cons

Where do I start. The CEO, Hemi, is a joke. He only cares about himself and the money he's putting into his own pocket as a result of hard working employees. J2 is terrible to its employees. Let me list a few off for you...

- $500 max 401k matching per year
    - No annual inflation, cost of living, salary raises
    - Quarterly bonuses are unpredictable and not based on performance. Capped at 5% for the year unless manager takes from other employees
    - No gym reimbursement
    - Health insurance, dental, and vision is expensive to cover family
    - Disability, life, and other forms of insurance needs to be bought separately via Aflac
    - No company perks whatsoever
    - The company is taking away work station cubes and replacing with small desks (No place to rest arms, legs hit separating wall, monitor too close to face, can hear everything from everyone). It is a true sweatshop.
    - Compensation is uncompetitive, or very bottom of industry range
    - No communication whatsoever from CEO, or upper management, on the state of the company. We weren't even told when the company changed its name from J2 Global to J2 Cloud Services.
    - Employees are treated badly when they decide to leave (are told they cannot communicate to anyone about their departure)
    - Going away parties are frowned upon
    - The building is run down. The carpet is stained, the workstations falling apart, bathrooms are dirty, and the temperature is always off
    - Substandard equipment - PCs, laptops, phones, etc. No work mobile phones or reimbursement when working from home, no work credit cards, no nothing
    - The company rarely invests in training, education, or conferences
    - Employees are not allowed to leave early the day before holidays, including Christmas, Thanksgiving, and New Year's.
    - Employees are expendable
    - Corporate culture and morale is the worst I've ever seen.
    - All employees are required to clock in and out, even exempt employees

Advice to Management

Top talent at the company is always leaving. Turnover will continue to increase as long as the company continues to devalue employees. Hemi, the CEO, really needs to go.

"Customer Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hollywood, CA

Pros

Co Workers provide great team work!

Cons

Lack of monetary motivation from Management.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees!

"No motivation"

Current Employee - Engineering in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most people are great to work with

Cons

The company doesn't know how to motivate and appreciate their employees. Everyone is burn out because there's not enough resources to complete the projects.

Advice to Management

Hire more people!

"Good company to work for to earn more experiances"

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at j2 Global full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very strong company with potential of becoming number 1 in the industry

Cons

Management needs some improvement specially new starters

Advice to Management

Employees to be treated as an asset not a number

"Inside Sales.... Will be a waste of your time."

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful coworkers. Location, bagel, mon, wend and fri.

Cons

Not a good company when it comes to a career. If you looking for a stop until u find something better this is it. Employees are treated poorly. No matter how hard you work. It won't make a difference. Verbal abuse by sale manager, he screams at you on the sales floor in front of your co workers. They play favorites, if you aren't like. You suffer!! Calls are touted to certain people to help them achieve their goals and the rest fight for thr entire month. The Good reps leave, most seasoned people have left due to poor treatment. Those that stay, just want a job. HR will also play politics when it come to the employees. They choose who they like and that who they assist. I've seen things I've never seen in a workplace. Racial slurs by sale manager and NOTHING is ever done. They change your time card when you work overtime. It's a horrible place. As of today, I'll be giving my 2 weeks noting. Don't waste your time. My advise.

Advice to Management

Happy employees make a happy company. Show more interest. New management in Sales is badly needed. HR should apply rules to all and not just selected people. We do have laws!!

"Lots of work with little pay, offensive raises and 401K matching Joke"

Current Employee - Finance Department in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Finance Department in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people to work with, Paid parking pass, Free bagels 3x a week. Free lunch every other month. Open bar Christmas party, approachable and friendly upper management. Really friendly CFO, CEO, CAO, they will take to anyone and are happy to say hello to everyone that works here.

Cons

The pay is under market, I literally received a $.38 cent raise as a supervisor. I received small bonus’s (X3) my first year only and haven’t seen one since. My reviews are great and I even received emails thanking me for the great work. The company is cheap, Equimpment is dated, and see how many hoops you have to go through to get a new mouse! The 401K is matched and toped off at $500 a year while they rave about how well the compnay is doing.
     The company lacks smart efficient leadership, the upper managers that have been here for a long time and make the decisions for all new projects but they do not hold Degrees, they worked their way up and stayed with the company for 15+ years so are now in charge and the long processes and outdated business thinking stem from them. HR is not approachable yet the CFO is, that tells you some wires are crossed here.

Advice to Management

Take a good hard look at the choices being made by your senior seasoned veterans here. CHOP CHOP.

"Inside Sales"

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people working for the company, fun in some cases, breakfast lots of catering for lunch. Nice christmas parties, company massages half paid by the company. Location is great, near all the movie action. Get to see lots of movie premiers from your desk. Company discount on movie tickets.. 5.00 movie tickets

Cons

Horrible with promoting high producers, management is the worst I've ever had. Company charge backs on your commission is always a fight at the end of the month. Their motive is to keep as much as your commission as possible. You could make really good money if you work 15 hours per days. At the end of the tunnel, if your looking to make more than 45,000 per year this is not for you as a high producer in sales. Oh and very high turn over.

Advice to Management

Learn something so you could help your team, Don't corner your employees because you can't answer their questions. Loud talking them or using profanity is not always the professional approach. Honesty is alwasy best when it comes to someones Livelihood.