j2 Global Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 5, 2018

j2 Global Chief Executive Officer Hemi Zucker
Hemi Zucker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Get to work with some great people, nice atmosphere (in 18 reviews)

• Good team spirit, I worked with some really nice people in customer service (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • And be prepared to be slowly crushed by a mediocre company run by sub-mediocre senior management (in 7 reviews)

• no raises and no bonus structure for everyone (in 6 reviews)

"senior accountant"

I worked at j2 Global full-time

Pros

People here are great!

Cons

Long hour and heavy workload.

"Decent Internship Experience"

Former Intern - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at j2 Global as an intern

Pros

Had lunch with executives and important people
    Worked with multiple departments
    Located in the heart of Hollywood
    Food in the morning
    Managers have discretionary spending power
    Talented executives inflate a crappy companies' share price

Cons

Employees don't care about the interns
    Full of h1b foreigners
    Workers are lame
    Industry is dry
    10% of employees do 90% of work

Advice to Management

Make sure the employees work with the interns to offer a rewarding experience

"it's a dead-end, but it's a paycheck"

I worked at j2 Global full-time

Pros

Company seems stable. This company doesn't do layoffs, it just doesn't replace people that leave. Work life balance is pretty good. Most of the people including most of the immediate managers are ok.

Cons

Interns are the only people who give J2 glowing reviews. I wouldn't bother reading their reviews unless you are looking for a 3 month internship rather than a full time job, as interns are treated much better than full time employees at J2.

Although there is no workplace abuse, this company neither respects nor values employees and it shows. This is why there are no or almost no raises ever, no opportunities for advancement at all, highly skilled employees are taken for granted, pay and benefits are mediocre and benefits always seem to be getting worse due to relentless penny pinching despite good profits. This company is nothing if not cheap when it comes to employees. I think J2 actually wants most of its employees to leave and to replace them all with cheap people fresh out of college. That seems to be the long term plan. And I suppose they will never get raises either. There is also a fair amount of disorganization and things being badly run.

Also there is asbestos in the building and constant construction going on with no precautions taken to protect people from the dust, and so working here might pose a long term health risk. The building itself seems to be falling apart with elevators that barely work. The location is horrible, the parking lot and train station are located so that you cannot escape the madness of Hollywood Blvd including homeless people, sales people that yell at pedestrians, tourists, and having ones route to work regularly being closed for premiers.

In short you can probably do better. Although there are worse companies there are also a lot more hopeful companies to work for than J2.

Advice to Management

What's the point? They don't care

"A mix of the best and worst things you would want in a company"

Pros

Once a quarter they like to do something for the employees, like buy them lunch or do a happy hour somewhere in the area

Cons

You are right across from the Grauman's Chinese Theater and the Hollywood and Highland complex so you get all the traffic from the movie premiers and the Oscars

Advice to Management

Try listening to your employees more, but all of us are happy.

"Not great"

I worked at j2 Global full-time

Pros

There are very nice people there. Management tries to make company events and working there fun. There is not a ton of pressure.

Cons

No benefits. Barely any sick days or vacation time. I barely got to take any time off at all. The sick and vacation days are very minimal. The CEO refuses to increase them.

"sr. software engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at j2 Global full-time

Pros

working environment is relaxing;
    managers are nice and no pushing schedules;
    j2 provides engineers opportunities to have training or technical sessions every year;
    you can always find free food in the kitchen.

Cons

your salary never increases;
    j2 only matches $500 at most in 401k;

"Net positive, but left wanting more"

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Hollywood, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Hollywood, CA

I worked at j2 Global as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Large amount of autonomy in the project I was assigned to once my manager and I settled on a set of technologies to use

- Good mentorship, multiple opportunities for formal and informal code review. The engineers and QA engineers I worked with the most were knowledgable, accessible, and genuinely concerned with my progress as a developer.

- HR did a great job with the intern events, many paid lunches and trips

Cons

- Hollywood is a tourist trap: After the first week, the glitz and glamour wears off and you're left with a dirty, overcrowded, and traffic ridden corner of LA. Movie premieres make the traffic even worse.

- No opportunities to work on a "mission critical" project. This is understandable to some extent, but I'm not even certain that the software I wrote will ever make it out of QA. It was very tangential to the stuff that the other engineering teams were working on. Note that this might have been specific to my team; some other engineering interns on other teams seemed to be doing some more involved stuff.

- Pay was far below market rate for software development.

- The culture is very stale; there's no spirit of innovation or sense of excitement. There's a lot of technical debt in the oldest systems that keeps things moving slowly, although there's now a big push to fix those issues.

Advice to Management

For the engineering internship program, I think you could make it a bit more structured and be willing to take on an intern that will be "part of the team" for the time he or she is there. Opportunities to try out new technologies for the company would be a great way to keep the interns interested while also evaluating new directions to go in.

"Corp Inside Sales Rep."

Former Employee - Corporate Inside Sales Representative in Redondo Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Inside Sales Representative in Redondo Beach, CA

I worked at j2 Global (More than a year)

Pros

Good Healthcare Benefits and safe work environment, cameras everywhere.

Cons

No pay raises and not many chances for advancements.

Advice to Management

Yearly reviews with pay raises based on performance. Also, need more rest-rooms for employees and convenient parking.

"Customer Support Tier II"

Current Employee - Customer Support Technician in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Support Technician in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at j2 Global (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, great companies parties, Incentives okay, laid back

Cons

No place to move up, No over time,

"Patience is Key"

Current Employee - Consumer Support and QA Specialist Manager in Van Nuys, CA
    Current Employee - Consumer Support and QA Specialist Manager in Van Nuys, CA

I have been working at j2 Global (Less than a year)

Pros

The People are the best part of the job

Cons

The management is the worse