j2 Global Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 9, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
j2 Global Chief Executive Officer Hemi Zucker
Hemi Zucker

Pros
  • Great people, lots of recognition and rewards if you work hard (in 14 reviews)

• Good team spirit, I worked with some really nice people in customer service (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • And be prepared to be slowly crushed by a mediocre company run by sub-mediocre senior management (in 7 reviews)

• Company is adamant about not working from home (in 4 reviews)

"Net positive, but left wanting more"

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Hollywood, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Hollywood, CA

I worked at j2 Global as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Large amount of autonomy in the project I was assigned to once my manager and I settled on a set of technologies to use

- Good mentorship, multiple opportunities for formal and informal code review. The engineers and QA engineers I worked with the most were knowledgable, accessible, and genuinely concerned with my progress as a developer.

- HR did a great job with the intern events, many paid lunches and trips

Cons

- Hollywood is a tourist trap: After the first week, the glitz and glamour wears off and you're left with a dirty, overcrowded, and traffic ridden corner of LA. Movie premieres make the traffic even worse.

- No opportunities to work on a "mission critical" project. This is understandable to some extent, but I'm not even certain that the software I wrote will ever make it out of QA. It was very tangential to the stuff that the other engineering teams were working on. Note that this might have been specific to my team; some other engineering interns on other teams seemed to be doing some more involved stuff.

- Pay was far below market rate for software development.

- The culture is very stale; there's no spirit of innovation or sense of excitement. There's a lot of technical debt in the oldest systems that keeps things moving slowly, although there's now a big push to fix those issues.

Advice to Management

For the engineering internship program, I think you could make it a bit more structured and be willing to take on an intern that will be "part of the team" for the time he or she is there. Opportunities to try out new technologies for the company would be a great way to keep the interns interested while also evaluating new directions to go in.

"Corp Inside Sales Rep."

Former Employee - Corporate Inside Sales Representative in Redondo Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Inside Sales Representative in Redondo Beach, CA

I worked at j2 Global (More than a year)

Pros

Good Healthcare Benefits and safe work environment, cameras everywhere.

Cons

No pay raises and not many chances for advancements.

Advice to Management

Yearly reviews with pay raises based on performance. Also, need more rest-rooms for employees and convenient parking.

"Customer Support Tier II"

Current Employee - Customer Support Technician in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Support Technician in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at j2 Global (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, great companies parties, Incentives okay, laid back

Cons

No place to move up, No over time,

"Patience is Key"

Current Employee - Consumer Support and QA Specialist Manager in Van Nuys, CA
    Current Employee - Consumer Support and QA Specialist Manager in Van Nuys, CA

I have been working at j2 Global (Less than a year)

Pros

The People are the best part of the job

Cons

The management is the worse

"Successful company --- employees not very important"

Former Employee - California in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - California in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

High growth, very successful, profitable, savvy competitor

Cons

No sentiment for employees, they are just means to succeed and may be terminated in a minute without much care for welfare of employees

Advice to Management

Increase regards and REAL care for employees

"Doesn't Look Out for their Own"

Former Employee - Customer Support in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Support in Hollywood, CA

I worked at j2 Global full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Free HMO benefits, free "food," nice people. I made some of my best friends while working there. Stock options ere nice.

Cons

They treat night-shift employees horrible. They won't turn on the heat during the winter or the AC during the summer. No salary increase. I left there making 34K per year and I had been there close to 10 years! Management doesn't care about its employees and has its "favorites." You would have to be able to be either Caucasian or gay to get ahead in that company. Everyone else is a "minority" in the company.

Advice to Management

Look out for your employees. Treat them with respect and train them to become better employees or future leaders.

"Strong and stable company, doesn't pay well."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hollywood, CA

I worked at j2 Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some good perks, lots of company events, good work atmosphere. Fun location right on Hollywood Blvd. Office is nice with decent sized cubicles.

Cons

This company will never pay you well. You have almost no chance of ever moving up. Most people seem to know this and don't put in any more effort than is needed to do their job. Seems like everyone is working here while looking for other employment.

Advice to Management

For all the money this company makes, seems like people could be better compensated.

"J2 Global Communication REVIEW"

Former Employee - Corporate Inside Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Inside Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at j2 Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Employee Healthcare Benefits, entertaining location in Hollywood, large internal company structure.

Cons

They do not offer wage increases and commission is subject to taking back if customer cancels before I year.
    Commission it self is very little and remember you will never get a raise no matter how ell you preform.
    Refuses to supply sales people with business cards even if you offer to pay for them yourself, why?
    No opportunities for advancement and the build itself is very old and has few rest-rooms for the employees.

Advice to Management

Look more closely at your employee's needs and make a better effort to become more involved with day to day operations.
    Star giving raises even based on a person's performance and attendance. You can be a perfect employee and you never get a wage increase, why?
    Also cost of services is way too high for consumers. Once someone looks around they always fine their paying to much and they cancel their accounts.
    Also customer service is lacking and needs to be looked at.

"Great company, doesn't like to spend money"

Current Employee - Sales in West Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in West Hollywood, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

pays for public transportation costs or parking costs for employees, snacks & other meals/food perks for employees, covers employee health benefits free, very easy-going (in my department anyway), great people.

Cons

doesn't like to spend money to keep employee equipment/computers at reasonable levels, while always buying the best/newest hardware for top & some middle-management. wants to bandaid existing systems & software/OS's, instead of spending some money to encourage reliability.

Advice to Management

don't be afraid to spend at least a small amount of money to keep the computers your employees use a little less than 9 years old, running software that's close to end of life. having systems people can barely rely on to at least do the minimum, shouldn't be expecting too much.

"It's OK but drawbacks"

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

j2 Global is a stable company that seems to be poised for growth over the next 5 years. They manage their sales well and have a good business model.

Cons

Management seems out of touch with current business operations practices. It seems that the few employees who are invested in the company are the only ones who benefit from its success.

Advice to Management

Provide better incentive for the employees to do a good job and the rewards will be more than anticipated.