j2 Global Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
j2 Global Chief Executive Officer Hemi Zucker
Hemi Zucker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Get to work with some great people, nice atmosphere (in 18 reviews)

• Benefits are good and cover basically everything you'd need (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • And be prepared to be slowly crushed by a mediocre company run by sub-mediocre senior management (in 7 reviews)

• Many entitled and dim people in the upper management (in 7 reviews)

"Hemi is AWESOME!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Drexel Hill, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Drexel Hill, PA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time

Pros

Such great lessons in business, Incredible FREE lunches on Fridays, HEMI and his team, Too many to list actually.

Cons

All the negative people. I mean...jeez. I see people complaining about their xmas bonus of socks. Some people don't even have socks!! Ungrateful. There are some people that walk around entitled. EVERYONE should. I'd like to bump that number up. People complain about the gossipy coworkers. Hello>>>>How else are you gonna past the time that moves soo....soo...sooo...incredibly slow??? The manager meetings tend to be disorganized and unfocused and changed directions a couple times a week , if not a couple times a day. Yeah. It's called keeping it interesting PEOPLE!! Anyone who doesn't like it here, LEAVE. We will replace with younger, older,smarter,dumber and more diversified people that you! I love you Hemi!!

Advice to Management

Hemi...please keep us informed about your new cars! It's great hearing that. Your employees who live pay check to pay check look up to you!! You have a great approval rating Hemi!

"FA II Review"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Hollywood, CA

Pros

Casual culture and relaxed environment create a comfortable culture to work in.

Cons

Long hours, minimal investment in new technology makes the work unnecessarily difficult.

Advice to Management

Better HR Policies - consider treating employees better; namely, increasing vacation and offering better benefits.

"Network Operations"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

NOC Co workers are a pleaser to work with. Lots of room to touch and support production equipment and not just open tickets.

Cons

Its right in front of the Hollywood Manns Chinese theater and the traffic is a nightmare.

Advice to Management

NOC manger is the best and most reasonable managers I have ever worked for

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Hollywood, CA

Pros

The CEO is approachable. I think he honestly cares about the company and employees.

The are many small perks (which many employees might feel are entitlements): 25cent sodas, free bagels and fruit, fully stocked coffee & tea, occasional food truck lunches; T-day lunches; theme and holiday party; reimbursed commuter expenses; $500 matching 401k. HixMe (innovative medical plan), quarterly dinners w/ management and quarterly bonuses. While some might sound trivial, they are certainly optional and offer a nice touch.

I find the pay scale fair if not overly exhuberant. I chose to join the company and therefore accept the salary, benefits and perks.

Cons

The company is revenue driven, very cost conscience and opportunistic. This makes it sometimes chaotic as strategic plans fall by the wayside with new acquisitions and the focus can be more on the status quo rather than innovation and entrepreneurship from within.

But know that going in, and the environment is quite logical and understandable.

Advice to Management

Executive team might consider MBWA - hang out in the common areas and learn what hurdles your teams are trying to over come. Focus on profit and not revenue. Celebrate people and not events.

"Nice people, awful pay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at j2 Global (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I got to work with were super nice and helpful. The location was good too, and it was a nice summer gig.

Cons

Super low pay. I took the job because I like the location and wanted to stay there during the summer. The pay was an absolute joke however.

Advice to Management

Pay your interns more, like twice as much at least. Your interns probably would have made more working as a waiter, which won't attract talent with other the options.

"Product Manager"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

great work life balance and friendly people

Cons

a little slow paced and completely revenue driven

Advice to Management

great going on the revenue side

"Stable co. with 20 consecutive years of revenue growth, kudos to Hemi Zucker & team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

j2 is a stable and well managed company with established record of continuous earnings growth and no mass layoffs. Great work environment. Lots of friendly, smart, devoted people who enjoy a good laugh and welcome diversity. Performance is often recognized and rewarded with advancement opportunities for contributors, open access to sr. mgt.

Perks include various health care plan options, paid parking or reimbursement for public transportation, extra vacation day accrual every year, free food, flexible work hours, periodic special events, pleasant office space (great views in Hollywood)

Cons

Starting compensation and benefits, little incentives for retirement plans, 401k matching is capped @ $500, only 5% discount for stock savings, merit & bonus incentives may be inconsistent.

Advice to Management

see cons above.

"Inside Sales"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Marketing efforts Promote the products, leading to more intrested customers calling in. No cold calling or hunting necessary. Manger cool with his people and seems to genuinley care about them. Free baggles,fruit, donughts,coffee and fun company functions. opportunity to make 80 to 100K

Cons

Communiction between billing and sales, causes unesssary issues. Traffic in hollywood can make it difficult to commute.

Advice to Management

Keep looking for ways to reward reps monitarily.

"Senior Director"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

j2 is a really good place to work. Aside from the few cons below, I would recommend working here to anyone. Hemi Zucker, the CEO, takes a hands on approach to management and is deeply involved in the business. Hemi had led the company to significant growth and is a true business leader. He is also a great guy. The work here is both challenging and interesting. I never get bored. They really let you run your own show once you get established.

Cons

I do not love the health and welfare benefits here. They are a bit expensive and the coverage isn't great. They have other perks that are ok but if you need really rich benefits, this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

I would ask that Hemi continue to be involved in the day-to-day management of the business. His constant interaction with everyone in the Company is a breath of fresh air compared to what I have experienced in the past with ivory tower executives. Hemi is doing a great job and I hope he continue to hire top quality management to help reinforce his ideals.

"Great place to learn"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA

Pros

Large, growing, multifaceted business. Lots of opportunities to learn. Ability to participate in M&A is a unique benefit.

Cons

Traffic can be an issue when there are events in Hollywood, but the fun of the neighborhood is worth it.