j2 Global Reviews | Glassdoor

j2 Global Reviews

Updated April 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great people, lots of recognition and rewards if you work hard (in 14 reviews)

• There are very nice people there (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • And be prepared to be slowly crushed by a mediocre company run by sub-mediocre senior management (in 7 reviews)

• Company is adamant about not working from home (in 4 reviews)

"J2 Sucks"

Current Employee - Cs Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Cs Representative in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

It's a job. Better than nothing.

Cons

A pair of socks is my raise.

Advice to Management

Don't give a dam pair of socks to your hard working employees as a bonus. Seriously??? GIVE us a real pay raise!!!!! ₩

"Product Manager"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

great work life balance and friendly people

Cons

a little slow paced and completely revenue driven

Advice to Management

great going on the revenue side

"Corporate Inside Sales"

Former Employee - Corporate Inside Sales Representative in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Inside Sales Representative in Hollywood, CA

Pros

A few nice people worked there. Nice holiday party at Kodak Theater. Free food daily. Made some decent money while there (draw over commission for first 3 months, although I did not pass probationary period.)

Cons

Worst job ever. By the time my 3 months were up, I was sick and tired of going there every day.
    Company needs to shut down. Management sucks, products don't work for many clients, dirty bathrooms, sweatshop atmosphere, terrible neighborhood. Glad to be fired for not meeting sales quotas. They are obviously very profit-driven and are only in business to make money, not to provide cutting-edge products. Many customers were very pissed off - I know because I fielded calls on the Corporate Sales phone lines for the entire time I worked there.
    Managers do not care about anything except team members hitting numbers. If you don't hit them in your first 90 days, bye bye, and they will not pay you unemployment if they can help it (and will dispute it with California EDD if you file.)

Advice to Management

No advice shall be given. I hope another bigger and better company buys out j2. They dont' deserve to stay in business.

"Stable co. with 20 consecutive years of revenue growth, kudos to Hemi Zucker & team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

j2 is a stable and well managed company with established record of continuous earnings growth and no mass layoffs. Great work environment. Lots of friendly, smart, devoted people who enjoy a good laugh and welcome diversity. Performance is often recognized and rewarded with advancement opportunities for contributors, open access to sr. mgt.

Perks include various health care plan options, paid parking or reimbursement for public transportation, extra vacation day accrual every year, free food, flexible work hours, periodic special events, pleasant office space (great views in Hollywood)

Cons

Starting compensation and benefits, little incentives for retirement plans, 401k matching is capped @ $500, only 5% discount for stock savings, merit & bonus incentives may be inconsistent.

Advice to Management

see cons above.

"Inside Sales"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Marketing efforts Promote the products, leading to more intrested customers calling in. No cold calling or hunting necessary. Manger cool with his people and seems to genuinley care about them. Free baggles,fruit, donughts,coffee and fun company functions. opportunity to make 80 to 100K

Cons

Communiction between billing and sales, causes unesssary issues. Traffic in hollywood can make it difficult to commute.

Advice to Management

Keep looking for ways to reward reps monitarily.

"Company is not Silicon Valley ready"

Former Employee - Customer Support Technician in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Support Technician in San Mateo, CA

I worked at j2 Global full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is big and well known to investors and the tech world. They have stability and good growth. I don't work there anymore and that's a major pro.

Cons

If they purchase your company their HR is misleading and the transition is borderline breaking many employee labor laws. Management in my company didn't understand due to lack of training what it meant to have non-exempt salary employees. My time clock was consistently edited so I would not receive my unapproved overtime. I left since I'm fortunate enough to live in an area with way better opportunities. They closed the door to the office I worked at and moved the call center to LA.

Advice to Management

When you buy a company don't tell the employees of you don't like us we don't care.

"Terrible experience"

Current Employee - Tier II Customer Support in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Tier II Customer Support in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good healthcare benefits
    Great location (Hollywood, CA right across the street from Madame Tussaud and other tourist attractions)

Cons

Lord.. where do I begin?

I recently started so I am fairly new and I can say out of all of the jobs I've held previously this has been one of the worst experiences I've had with an employer.

Let's start..

Initially when I filled out an application I application for the Technical Support Representative Tier 4 position that was available at the time. My interview took place, as I was speaking with management they explained to me it was a Technical Support role such a troubleshooting, assisting customers with networking issues they may have with their products or systems. Even went as far as to asking me Tech support questions about resolving networking issues etc. I was understand the impression that's what the job would entail. Even when I spoke with the recruiter during our initial phone interview she stated the same. Also, they told me training would be for about a month. On my first day I was excited to start seeing how they moved in a timely manner with my hiring process. I was the ONLY new hire they brought on to the team at the time. I there would at least be 6 of us at the least. As I stated my first day was exciting being that I was starting a new job with a company I felt I could grow with. To start off we had new hire orientation for about an hour, then I was brought downstairs to the Customer Service/ Sales floor where I would be "training" and working. I was introduced to the management team, some I already met during my interview from what I was seeing things were unorganized. I witnessed many representatives putting customers on hold for an extended amount of time to walk around and converse with others. Management was mostly sitting around joking with each other and speaking on a lot of outside topics that had nothing to do with work.

I was brought into a very small conference room with one of the senior managers who would be "training" me. On the first day he said he doesn't do much training, but instead allows the new reps to get comfortable then he jumps right into training on the 2nd day and so on.. Now remember I said training would be a month? Well, the next day when I came to work he informs me that my training would only be a week and a half, that he would get me started with taking phone calls the following week, mind you they didn't get access to any of the systems I needed to learn. I found out they placed me at a low tier, which was Tier 2 and it was not what I was told prior to starting. I also realized that this isn't even a tech support role it's a customer service call center position for j2 products. He begins training he only went over handouts he provided basically read the information on the paper for 2 hours then he would have me shadow with representatives who were already taking calls. As training continued this is what he continued to do daily, talk for 2 hours at the beginning then have me shadow the remainder of the day. After the 3rd day he tells me he has a throat infection and can't talk for an extended amount of time because it makes his throat hurt, soon after he was at his desk speaking loudly and laughing with other members of the management team. Each day I would ask him if I had account access to be able to log into a test account to learn more about the system he would always tell me no. I had to actually go above him and speak with the person directly who setups the account to get it handled and ultimately I still ended up not having what I needed. I went several weeks without having what I needed in order to take phone calls. He finally tells me in order for me to get an account they have to purchase a license and they recently did just that it's still pending with no estimated time frame on when it will process. I had addressed my concerns with him because the representatives he had me shadow left before my shift was over so there were times I just sat around having nothing to do and nobody came to check on me or provide a directive. The manager stated to me that I needed to be more proactive such as asking someone what to do next or figuring something out. He had also told me that they all were very busy and things were hectic so they don't really have time to train me properly and there will most likely be times where I'm just sitting around because there is no one to sit with me. My question was well, why did you hire just one person if that's the case? Why didn't you have everything in place before I started so that wouldn't be an issue? He basically tells me I still need to be more proactive and I am part of the reason the training is going in the direction it was headed. I thought remaining patient would help and it would get better, but from what I see it's not. They also don't allow representatives room to grow, there's too many politics and they pick and choose who they want to move up.

This place is very unorganized and management has no idea what they're doing. Based off what other representatives who have been here for awhile stated to me that they experienced the same thing. It is now to the point where I no longer wish to work here. The only reason I would continue working here is because of the healthcare benefits if that.

Advice to Management

Listen and learn more about your employees. Offer a better incentive program. Implement better training and learn to be more organized. Provide dual screens to all representatives and when you hire someone be sure you're honest about the job position.

"Senior Director"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

j2 is a really good place to work. Aside from the few cons below, I would recommend working here to anyone. Hemi Zucker, the CEO, takes a hands on approach to management and is deeply involved in the business. Hemi had led the company to significant growth and is a true business leader. He is also a great guy. The work here is both challenging and interesting. I never get bored. They really let you run your own show once you get established.

Cons

I do not love the health and welfare benefits here. They are a bit expensive and the coverage isn't great. They have other perks that are ok but if you need really rich benefits, this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

I would ask that Hemi continue to be involved in the day-to-day management of the business. His constant interaction with everyone in the Company is a breath of fresh air compared to what I have experienced in the past with ivory tower executives. Hemi is doing a great job and I hope he continue to hire top quality management to help reinforce his ideals.

"Has potential....."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA

I worked at j2 Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Its a job if you need one. This company is very stable and has potential to grow more and more. I never saw layoffs. So if you are looking for a company where you can just get in and put your head down this could be the place for you.
    -bagels and fruit
    -free soda

Cons

So many to name:
    -No matter what level you are or if your exempt they make you clock in and out every day. You will walk past Directors badging in every day at HQ. Funny this is that this is only done at HQ.
    -low pay. They do not pay standard market rate
    -new desks are horrible. No privacy and very tight
    -unable to order computer supplies. it took me 6 months to get a laptop
    -no work from home. Company is adamant about not working from home.
    -HQ is in hollywood which is horrible. You run into to many tourists and weirdos.
    -people are miserable there. i never ran into anyone that actually loved working there. That is when i knew i had to run for the hills.
    -software is outdated.
    -HR is unprofessional. They come to speak to you about your personal issues in front at your cubicle instead of brining into a conference room. I heard all kinds of things including peoples immigration issues and payroll issues.
    -They monitor your internet activity and send remotes to your manager including your IM conversations
    -no raises and no bonus structure for everyone

Advice to Management

If you want the "google" type of environment and attract quality people that will stay you will need to at least pay market rate, allow telecommuting and also change the office environment. You will need to treat your employees with respect and understand that the biggest asset your company has is their employees. Stop badging employees in and treat the as an adult.

"If you like old school management, join J2!"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Hollywood, CA

I worked at j2 Global full-time

Pros

The people are friendly. Bagels and fruit are brought to the office.

Cons

Benefits, location and old school management style. Lots of old timers that can't see beyond the walls of J2 culture.

Advice to Management

In order to attract talent, so much needs to be done. HR policies are all out of date. Very expensive benefits plans if you plan on having dependents The 401k match is a joke. In order to have employees focus, get out of Hollywood its for entertainment and not technology development. The restrooms need updating with only two stalls for women for an entire floor. Work areas are dated and its showing!