j2 Global Reviews | Glassdoor

j2 Global Reviews

Updated June 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Get to work with some great people, nice atmosphere (in 17 reviews)

• Free food, i found the management are fair and i could approach them (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • And be prepared to be slowly crushed by a mediocre company run by sub-mediocre senior management (in 7 reviews)

• no raises and no bonus structure for everyone (in 6 reviews)

"Senior Director"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

j2 is a really good place to work. Aside from the few cons below, I would recommend working here to anyone. Hemi Zucker, the CEO, takes a hands on approach to management and is deeply involved in the business. Hemi had led the company to significant growth and is a true business leader. He is also a great guy. The work here is both challenging and interesting. I never get bored. They really let you run your own show once you get established.

Cons

I do not love the health and welfare benefits here. They are a bit expensive and the coverage isn't great. They have other perks that are ok but if you need really rich benefits, this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

I would ask that Hemi continue to be involved in the day-to-day management of the business. His constant interaction with everyone in the Company is a breath of fresh air compared to what I have experienced in the past with ivory tower executives. Hemi is doing a great job and I hope he continue to hire top quality management to help reinforce his ideals.

"Has potential....."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA

I worked at j2 Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Its a job if you need one. This company is very stable and has potential to grow more and more. I never saw layoffs. So if you are looking for a company where you can just get in and put your head down this could be the place for you.
    -bagels and fruit
    -free soda

Cons

So many to name:
    -No matter what level you are or if your exempt they make you clock in and out every day. You will walk past Directors badging in every day at HQ. Funny this is that this is only done at HQ.
    -low pay. They do not pay standard market rate
    -new desks are horrible. No privacy and very tight
    -unable to order computer supplies. it took me 6 months to get a laptop
    -no work from home. Company is adamant about not working from home.
    -HQ is in hollywood which is horrible. You run into to many tourists and weirdos.
    -people are miserable there. i never ran into anyone that actually loved working there. That is when i knew i had to run for the hills.
    -software is outdated.
    -HR is unprofessional. They come to speak to you about your personal issues in front at your cubicle instead of brining into a conference room. I heard all kinds of things including peoples immigration issues and payroll issues.
    -They monitor your internet activity and send remotes to your manager including your IM conversations
    -no raises and no bonus structure for everyone

Advice to Management

If you want the "google" type of environment and attract quality people that will stay you will need to at least pay market rate, allow telecommuting and also change the office environment. You will need to treat your employees with respect and understand that the biggest asset your company has is their employees. Stop badging employees in and treat the as an adult.

"If you like old school management, join J2!"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Hollywood, CA

I worked at j2 Global full-time

Pros

The people are friendly. Bagels and fruit are brought to the office.

Cons

Benefits, location and old school management style. Lots of old timers that can't see beyond the walls of J2 culture.

Advice to Management

In order to attract talent, so much needs to be done. HR policies are all out of date. Very expensive benefits plans if you plan on having dependents The 401k match is a joke. In order to have employees focus, get out of Hollywood its for entertainment and not technology development. The restrooms need updating with only two stalls for women for an entire floor. Work areas are dated and its showing!

"Sales Department a Joke"

Former Employee - Corporate Inside Sales Representative in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Inside Sales Representative in Hollywood, CA

I worked at j2 Global full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

About the same as some others - free food and companywide events. Some cool people worked there.

Cons

Sales department a complete joke. Commission plan always changing, lack of communication between management and employees, low base salary, and the list goes on. I was fired at 90 days for not meeting quota. I'm a great salesperson, it's just that no one wanted to buy this lousy product. The managers in charge of our team were passive-aggressive. We hated them, they hated us. Probably just as well, as I got a new job with another firm where I stayed for 7 years and did well, even during rough economy.

Biggest problem seems to be more with top management. They're really quite bad. Yet, the company is making tons of money. Probably from old customers. Oh well. I don't recommend j2 though. I felt like they really wasted my time. Promised me a great job and once I got in there it was just a horrible work experience from day 1 thru day 90.

Advice to Management

Respecting your employees would help, although eFax and the other products the company sells are not very popular. I don't know anyone who uses faxing anymore, or email-based voicemail so it seems the company is providing outdated products.

"Don't Do It...."

Former Employee - Technical Customer Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Customer Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at j2 Global (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people to work with for the most part...entertaining location.

Cons

The management is the absolute worst. Everything is arbitrary..no clear policies on anything from tardiness and or attendance. No raises...

"Corp Inside Sales Rep."

Former Employee - Corporate Inside Sales Representative in Redondo Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Inside Sales Representative in Redondo Beach, CA

I worked at j2 Global (More than a year)

Pros

Good Healthcare Benefits and safe work environment, cameras everywhere.

Cons

No pay raises and not many chances for advancements.

Advice to Management

Yearly reviews with pay raises based on performance. Also, need more rest-rooms for employees and convenient parking.

"Customer service representative"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Stable, flexible hours, friendly co workers.

Cons

Not able to advance

"Great place to learn"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA

Pros

Large, growing, multifaceted business. Lots of opportunities to learn. Ability to participate in M&A is a unique benefit.

Cons

Traffic can be an issue when there are events in Hollywood, but the fun of the neighborhood is worth it.

"Customer Support Tier II"

Current Employee - Customer Support Technician in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Support Technician in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at j2 Global (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, great companies parties, Incentives okay, laid back

Cons

No place to move up, No over time,

"Patience is Key"

Current Employee - Consumer Support and QA Specialist Manager in Van Nuys, CA
    Current Employee - Consumer Support and QA Specialist Manager in Van Nuys, CA

I have been working at j2 Global (Less than a year)

Pros

The People are the best part of the job

Cons

The management is the worse