juwi Reviews | Glassdoor

juwi CEO Georg Müller
Georg Müller

"Project Manager"

I worked at juwi full-time

Pros

Great working team, good mission and complex interesting projects

Cons

long hours and travel and high expectation for excellence

juwi2017-12-20

"Abysmal Leadership"

Former Employee - Boulder Office in Boulder, CO

I worked at juwi full-time for more than a year

Pros

Generally solid entry / mid-level employees despite fear based culture. Working in Boulder is a plus.

Cons

In my research of juwi I saw the unbelievably high turnover rate. I asked management, they said they were developing a long term plan to keep employees for continuity on projects, just one of the many lies they tell people to get in the door. In my first week an employee got fired for no apparent reason. I've never seen turnover quite like this. The CEO's erratic behavior creates zero job security for employees. He... fires people seemingly without a care. Employees are burdened with a non-compete that is strictly enforced if fired or quit. For whatever reason there are about 5 employees that are above getting fired, despite their lack of production. The revolving door culture prohibits any continuity on projects, and ultimately results in the company's lack of success winning bids outside of their home state. The pay is well below industry standard. Employees aren't given much direction. Can't recommend anyone working here, look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Fire Senior Staff and come up with a new strategy to win business. Company is being lapped by other developers.

juwi2019-06-26
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Malevolent Cult"

I worked at juwi full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

When I worked there the talent at the lower-middle levels of the organization was outstanding. Many former employees have gone on to found companies or lead departments elsewhere in the industry. A lot of truly oustading people. Also the location is great. Can't beat downtown Boulder.

Cons

The other reviews covered it well, the Management Team is filled with despotic sociopaths. The only senior managers who are left are the one who are willing to enable and tolerate - or participate in - his behavior. It's like a cult, you're never allowed to leave. They have sued at least 4 former employees for non-competes, including 3 who were entry-level. Minimal internal advancement as well, they tend to hire... outsiders. They once hired an officer who was known throughout the organization as the "UVP", or "Useless Vice President". He lasted 6 months before there was an internal revolt. People stay because they're afraid of getting sued. The pay sucks. Go work somewhere else. There's more PV companies in Boulder these days, go to AES, Namaste, Also Energy, wherever.

Advice to Management

Nothing I didn't already say when I left.

juwi2019-03-25

"Real Pain, No gain"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at juwi full-time

Pros

Numerous projects to be completed, great talent in engineering.

Cons

Employees are working very hard to finish projects on time but there is no reward or incentive to do so. Management does not acknowledge work done and fails to promote the right people, leaving qualified individuals stuck in their current position to look elsewhere for career growth.

Advice to Management

Best advice is to read prior posting from last summer which state the truth. No plan to support groups that are burdened with more work over time with less manpower, in particular O&M. Promote from within for career growth and incentive instead of hiring people with no solar experience.

juwi2016-02-19

"Good place to work"

I worked at juwi

Pros

Smart people, motivated and hard working

Cons

Missed opportunities for positive leadership

juwi2016-01-22

"Good Exposure to Interesting Projects"

I have been working at juwi full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is my second job out of college and has been a great experience so far. I work on very interesting and advanced projects (for my level) and have a lot of flexibility without being micro-managed. The office setting is comfortable. After factoring in bonuses, the pay is at or above market, at least for my group. Benefits seem to be getting better.

Cons

There are some current (and former) employees with bad attitudes or entitlement issues that bring negativity to the office. Information about goals and compensation often seem to arrive at the last minute, creating some stress. Some groups tend to silo information and not share with other groups, which makes things inefficient.

Advice to Management

Provide more consistent updates on company performance and direction. Interact more with lower-level employees. Directly address the silo/moral problem.

juwi2015-08-06

"For the Rowers Keep on Rowing..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at juwi full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good co-workers (although many have left or are leaving) and interesting projects keep the day-to-day bearable.

Cons

People are departing the organization and are not being replaced leaving people so overworked that everything is a struggle and mistakes are being made; upper and middle management are very disconnected and the wrong people are being promoted/rewarded; new hires are thrown in without any direction, oversight or management.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees, respect them and their skill sets, invest in the people you still have that actually do the work!

juwi2015-08-03

"Great work environment and career path; recent growing pains"

in Boulder, CO

I have been working at juwi

Pros

Great work environment; impressive number of projects in the pipeline; very smart and talented group; Boulder office is open, light and has great access to amenities; company recognizes hard workers and promotes those who show leadership skills

Cons

In 2014 the juwi solar and wind teams were brought together in one office and its parent went through a corporate restructuring, both of which led to layoffs and some angst. Seems to be on good path now.

Advice to Management

Encourage more professional development and fun activities outside the office.

juwi2015-06-17

"Look Elsewhere"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at juwi full-time

Pros

It was fun until all of the good managers left. Those actually doing the work were smart, energetic and collaborative. It was a shame to watch that spark disappear while working here and then get sued as they tried to leave.

Cons

The non-compete. Colorado law defines what who and what is covered in a non-compete. The one required by this company is overly broad. You will most likely win if sued, but it will cost you to defend yourself if you try and stay in your chosen career path.

Advice to Management

There are no managers left, only bosses. The culture has changed from leading to directing with little regard to employees. juwi Germany should replace the US CEO.

juwi2015-07-17

"Poor place to work"

I have been working at juwi

Pros

juwi was able to assemble an excellent staff of very knowledgeable, hardworking, creative, and devoted solar professionals, and to top it off Boulder is an excellent location to live.

Cons

Management does not care about employees; felling they are easily replaceable. Compensation is terrible and there is a general feeling that employees are trapped by the N.C. agreement and will be pursued relentlessly and senselessly if they choose to leave and stay in energy.

Advice to Management

Quit

juwi2015-06-09