kCura 109 Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Andrew Sieja

Pros
  • I work with smart people and things are always changing, it's very fast paced (in 11 reviews)

• If you like to go out and drink/have a good time, that could be a plus here as there are lots of "happy hours" with free alcohol (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can get affected by workload at times (in 12 reviews)

• As a fast-growing company, processes were sometimes lacking, and the work to be tackled was limitless (in 6 reviews)

1. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineering Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineering Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at kCura full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, fast paced. Business outlook good. Tech challenges abound.

Cons

So much going on, can be chaotic.

"Supportive, Professional, and Engaging - Even to Job Seekers!"

Former Employee - Senior Leadership Development Manager in Yorktown, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Leadership Development Manager in Yorktown, VA

I worked at kCura (Less than a year)

Pros

I was never an employee with kCura, but applied for a senior human resources engagement role as I conclude my military career and re-enter the private sector. While ultimately unsuccessful in earning a job at kCura, I found the entire staff - from the pair of leaders who interviewed me to the top executives - to be outstanding, committed professionals who continually adhere to this company's core values.

While the result wasn't what I had initially hoped for, the pair of interviewers provided me detailed feedback in a telephone call four days after my interview, which was a welcome "first" after six months of committed job seeking. They resolved to assist me in my job search, and their promise immediately extended well beyond the usual "connect with me on LinkedIn." The referrals and leads stemming from these two excellent people continue to bear fruit today.

If you are qualified and possess the skills required to join the kCura team, don't hesitate for a moment to apply and take steps to join this outstanding company. With kCura, collaboration, sustainability, and excellence aren't just buzzwords. They are guiding principles.

In the future, I will certainly keep kCura in mind - and in high esteem - because of their blend of wonderful people, a positive company culture, and a superior product.

Cons

Unfortunately, I was not offered a position, but in spite of that, I have no shortcomings to report. I caution job seekers to recognize that this is a fast-paced, fast-growing company in a competitive business environment and plan accordingly.

Advice to Management

The kCura management has an outstanding team working for them. They should be proud of the culture and talent they have built and are building.

"Skip This Company"

Pros

They are young, youthful rich company.

Cons

The company’s problem is their management. Quality ranges from adequate to inept. Definitely not “great” as they like to think. It is fragmented with no vision so each department is free to make its own, and usually contradictory, policies. It’s a good example of running a company without grownups.

The documentation department is typical. Its management is weak, and indecisive. They lack experience and judgment, making them ill-suited, if not outright incompetent. They’re very good with dotty mechanical details like enforcing styles, removing passive voice, and making sure you respond to an endless stream of meaningless, self-important and officious sounding e-mail, and so delude themselves about pretending to be managers. However, when faced with any new ideas or improvements, they are incapable of making serious decisions, and are more apt to fire the writer than to listen. Literally. There is the alarmingly high turnover rate. Within a single 15-month period, four technical writers came and went. All of them were over 40, and three were senior level. The collective experience of those four were at least 60 years, versus the remainder of the team’s 36 years. The company should seriously question management’s competency, because they either serially hire the wrong people in the first place, or, the actual case, they are unable to handle writers who know what they’re doing.

If you’re under 30 and your first job, this’ll seem like a good place. You’ll like the flavor of the Kool-Aid, go along with the oppressive micromanagement, and feel like you’re playing Technical Writer™. May as well as get the worst managers of your career out of the way now. But be cautious. You’ll come to understand that promotions are unlikely, and you’re not being taught any skills.

If you’re over 40, understand that your career is limited to six months, and they view experience as a liability, even something to make fun of. API writers, in the unlikely event they’ll hire skilled writers again, know that you’ll be browbeaten into being technical writers.

Bottom line? Skip this company.

Advice to Management

The next time people want to quit, double their pay: They're the only ones who know what they're doing.

5. "Software Engineering Manager"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at kCura (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent oboarding overview and trainining

Cons

Company going through growing pains

6. "Industry Leading Tech Company"

I have been working at kCura full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and pretty transparent as a company. Very respected in the field of e-discovery as the product is market leading. The people I work with are great, the benefits are pretty standard for tech companies. The hardware provided is top notch. I work with smart people and things are always changing, it's very fast paced. Free monthly lunches and huge company wide happy hours every quarter makes if fun to socialize with coworkers.

Cons

Although pay is pretty standard for the area, it could be better. If we want to attract the best talent in the we need to start paying like it. The 401k match can also be improved. Sometimes, I think new features are rushed out and not fully ready for release. Don't let sales drive product features.

Advice to Management

As we keep growing aggressively, don't sacrifice quality over quantity. Keep treating employees great and keep up the transparency. Think about promoting from within, and make those promotions competitive so people aren't inclined to leave.

"Looks good in interview, chaos and no work life balance once inside"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at kCura full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Access to new technological hardware and software
    Power standing desks
    Beer after work

Cons

No work life balance
    Micromanagement
    Unrealistic expectations and lots of after hours work
    Heavy turnover
    IT Department in severe need of structure

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging and allow individuals to perform their functions without hovering over their shoulder. Don't assign tasks with insufficient resources or unrealistic goals for completion. Provide growth opportunities and a career path.

8. "I didn't know I was looking for kCura"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at kCura full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people at kCura are incredible. I come to work ready to go everyday because I enjoy being part of my team and doing good work alongside them.

We've got a relaxed tech culture atmosphere, but I think we stay grounded due to our connection with the legal industry. There's a lot of bad news out there about tech culture issues - especially sexism and lack of diversity - but my experience at kCura has been one of positivity and respect.

The work is interesting. When I came onboard I was worried that I'd never "get into" e-discovery or legal techology. I still don't dream about it or anything, but there are great characters in teh industry and some cool really cool stories to tell about how our product is used.

Cons

Sometimes in the tech industry connectivity is taken too lightly. I think sometimes I'm getting invited to meetings and included on email chains that clutter up my day and aren't strictly applicable to what I do. A good thing though is that others seem to realize this and there's a push at least on my team to be smarter about that.

Advice to Management

Stay open to all team members as we grow. I've been happy with my access to management, and I feel like I'm taken seriously when I'm offering my skills. But as kCura gets bigger, that might be harder to keep up. Just try as hard as possible.

"Company Culture is very "cliquey"."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at kCura full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of "bells and whistles". Company tries to make the culture better by providing flashy tech to the employees.

Cons

When asked for input/feedback, it better align with the manager's views or your feedback will not be considered constructive.

Advice to Management

IT department is broken, need a serious realignment/new leadership.

"great place to work, if you're in the right role"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at kCura full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunities, smart people, great culture. We're building a truly exciting product, and you can make a real difference here, if you're in the right role.

Cons

Though leadership has acknowledged the issue and is working to get better, things are still done in a top-down way sometimes, and the opportunities to step up to more accountability and greater responsibilities are sometimes limited.

Advice to Management

Keep giving people chances to grow--expect more out of your people.

"Great culture"

I have been working at kCura full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the culture. Fast paced. Very collaborative. Smart, young people. Fun. Commitment to excellence - we push each other to get better all the time.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunities for growth - instinct is to hire experience from the outside. Lack of focus.

Advice to Management

You need to focus on challenging your people, even if they haven't done it before. Can't rely on hiring next level of talent forever - need to grow more internally