kCura Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Andrew Sieja

Pros
  • They do a good job trying to keep a fun office environment with monthly lunches and breakfasts, happy hours, etc (in 11 reviews)

• I work with smart people and things are always changing, it's very fast paced (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can get affected by workload at times (in 13 reviews)

• The company try to pump you up with fun stuff to over shadow that there is no work life balance (in 5 reviews)

1. "Positive Experience"

I have been working at kCura full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growth opportunities with career map and coach available. kCura encourages employees of all levels to be open with feedback, constructive and otherwise. kCura leadership takes it seriously and is better because of it.

Cons

With so much growth, comes growing pains. There is some concern with the recent structural changes or changes to leadership and how it's been communicated.

Advice to Management

Maintain culture, maintain culture, maintain culture.

2. "Exceeding the expectation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at kCura full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

kCura has consistently met or exceeded my expectations as an employee, from their culture and values, to their product and and offerings. They have followed through on their promise of an incredible culture and company

Cons

Company moves very fast and often is making reactive decisions instead of strategic proactive ones

Advice to Management

Continue to empower your leaders to lead the business and share their subject matter expertise

"Inspiring, Energizing and Fun Workpace!"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at kCura full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- First and foremost, I enjoy working at kCura because of the people. We work with a group of talented, passionate, energetic, dedicated and fun individuals who are committed to making an amazing, market-leading product for our clients in the eDiscovery industry. Collaboration and cooperation happens frequently across teams and departments. You won't find politics, turf wars, or other nonsense getting in the way.
    - We are a feedback-driven culture. Meaning that we focus on improving ourselves while we commit to improving the organization as a whole. There are always opportunities for improvement. Step one is finding the issues. Step two is working through the issues to resolve them. We are committed to doing that and for as long as it takes until we get it right.
    - There is an entrepreneurial spirit within kCura that inspires me to reach higher. It breathes life into me. Energizes me to hit the ground running every day. I've always been attracted to companies of this type, whether past or present. Wanting to learn their story, find their secret. So, it's exciting to be part of the kCura story today. Watching the story unfold. This is the story that I want to be included in; contribute to; be part of; make an impact.
    - Then there's the little things that brings a smile. The fun mile-markers that pop-up along the journey. I enjoy the conference rooms named after famous Chicago buildings (confusing for newbies -- but still fun). Our custom team names posted as street signs along the aisles. The annual events we hold that bring life to the office like: chili cook-off contests; baking bake-offs; beer brew-offs; pancake breakfasts;
    Halloween costume contests; lunch room arcade games (Killer Queen, Galaga); Hack-a-thons; the Summer picnic; and Holiday party. Fresh fruit deliveries, writing on walls, and conference rooms with couches really make my day.
    - We are committed to the community that we live and work in by giving back. We give generously to local schools, food banks and other organizations to help where we can.
    - We work hard. We play hard. When we fall, we get back up and try harder.

Cons

It is not easy to work in a company that is striving for excellence and growth. It brings many challenges. The challenge that I face daily is balancing the incoming requests to my team that have competing priorities. The requests come in with such frequency that they regularly exceed team capacity. So, we prioritize the requests as they arrive. Separate the must-haves from the nice-to-haves. And, unfortunately backlog project requests for extended periods, or simply say "no" to items that we know we'll simply never get to.

Advice to Management

Keep striving for quality and excellence in everything we do. Continue driving for the higher degree of quality in our work, across all teams, and what we deliver for our clients. It will reap dividends in client satisfaction, internal team productivity, and ultimately market growth.

My favorite quote from Ad-Man Leo Burnett: "When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either."

"Great Chicago Tech Company to Work For!"

I have been working at kCura full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Lots of learning and development opportunities, generous annual budget to attend conferences, classes, etc.
    - Pretty good work life balance. There are only a couple times a year that things get crazy.
    - Convenient downtown Chicago office location.
    - They do a good job trying to keep a fun office environment with monthly lunches and breakfasts, happy hours, etc. but there's no pressure to participate in social events if it's not your thing.
    - They are the leader in their industry, which means they work with all the big name companies.
    - Monthly performance conversations mean you always know where you stand with your manager and what you need to do next.
    - Depending on your manager, flexible work from home policies.
    - Upper management is receptive to feedback and very transparent.
    - Surprisingly well organized HR, admin, and operations teams for a "startup" (although they're not really a startup any more).
    - Great health insurance at minimal cost to employees.
    - Closed between Christmas and New Years.

Cons

- kCura is growing very quickly which means there are some kinks in a lot of their processes. For example, getting approvals can be time consuming as different senior leaders have different opinions on things. To be fair, management recognizes that issues exist and are constantly working toward solutions.
    - The industry (e-discovery) isn't the most thrilling

Advice to Management

Continue being open, transparent, and receptive to feedback.

"Great Culture!"

I have been working at kCura full-time

Pros

Great culture, people and opportunities to learn. Definitely a place where feedback is shared and there is a constant atmosphere of professional development. There is strong collaboration across teams & verticals, which makes it easy with the aggressive growth we've experienced in the past several years.

Cons

It's difficult to get hired due to high expectations and competition.

Advice to Management

Keep up the company-wide communication from our CEO & leadership team.

"Best company in Chicago to work for!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at kCura full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I think the same thing today that I thought when I started here. I don't know why anyone would not want to work here.

Reasons:
    Cutting edge technology
    Agile software environment
    Moving software to the Cloud
    Healthy financial outlook
    Great company culture
    Complex challenging work
    Great benefits
    Yearly training allowance for every employee
    Consistent company growth
    Software product with growing demand in the marketplace
    Open communication with executive level management
    Very accessible CEO
    Monthly company-wide lunch
    Bi-monthly pancake breakfasts
    Work from home flexibility
    Paid holiday break between Christmas and New Year's Day
    Great volunteer opportunities through kCura Gives

Cons

No cons. This is the best company that I have worked for. Period.

Advice to Management

Keep moving the company forward; stay open to ideas from employees; Keep striving to be great!

"A company with tons of potential and engineering talent, but poor senior leadership and horrible tech stack"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at kCura full-time

Pros

* Startup vibe within a fairly stable company
    * Solid pay and benefits if properly negotiated
    * Tons of potential
    * eDiscovery is a unique industry
    * Outstanding engineering talent
    * Solid place to start your career
    * CEO Andrew has passion and excitement

Cons

* Senior leadership (many of the engineering managers and above) are ineffective and are not in touch with their teams' pulse.
    * Poor communication within and across product verticals.
    * Poor and inconsistent communication from/to senior leadership.
    * CEO too involved in the day-to-day; often leading to poor decisions. Doesn't seem to trust the people he has hired to do their job.
    * CEO acts as CTO, but has never been a true architect and is not in touch with current tech trends. This leads to poor technology direction, unrealistic expectations, and lack of focus; company has lost sight of how to develop quality industry-leading software.
    * Senior leadership prefers "yes-men" to the truth.
    * Cult-like culture; you either buy into it or you don’t.
    * Tech stack is generally ancient; new features, even when re-architected, are hacked together.
    * Teams are not given the time, nor the tools, to build things correctly. This leads to more and more hacks despite a feature being “newly architected”.
    * Teams often not given time to do things correctly, negatively impacting quality / user experience / maintainability
    * Concerns raised by development teams are generally ignored or deflected
    * New office floor ignored feedback from development team. Tons of noise, harsh light, and full of distractions. Old team pods were much better and allowed teams to have their own identity.
    * Culture of throwing peers under the bus, especially among management.
    * Outstanding engineering talent wasted due to poor technical direction. Hacking things on to other hacks is far from rewarding. Sure, you always have to deal with existing tech debt with long-living products, but it has reached ridiculous levels with Relativity.
    * No concept of balancing releases with both business AND engineering value; engineering value helps provide business value faster and with higher quality.
    * Top talent has left, is leaving, or is jaded.
    * Sexism complaints ignored by both management and HR.
    * Pay inequality is rampant.
    * Career growth coaching, even after a consultant group was brought in to assist, is vague and disparate across teams even within the same vertical. The annual review process is useless. Promotion requirements are not consistent.
    * Work / life balance can be poor depending on team and/or vertical.

Advice to Management

You have top-tier talent. Trust them to do their job and listen to their feedback. Learn to balance business AND engineering value in every release, understanding that engineering improvements help provide new business value quicker and with higher quality. Don't bite off more than you can chew in a release cycle. Focus on clear actionable features that can be delivered in reasonable timeframes. For larger efforts, give development teams the time and resources to do the job right to prevent continuously adding technical debt and risking user experience. Get rid of the yes-man mentality. You have smart people who know what they are doing; actually listen to them.

kCura Response

May 8, 2017 – Chief People Officer

On behalf of kCura, thank you for sharing these concerns. We appreciate and consider all feedback we receive—cultural, operational, whatever it may be—and are committed to discussing and addressing ... More

8. "I'm really enjoying it"

I have been working at kCura full-time

Pros

The culture by far is a top reason.

It's great, real tech culture in chicago.
    Training budget is cool they pay you to learn, people should use it more, but that also saves a little extra for others.
    One of the only companies in Chicago with Killer Queen! Huge!
    They have monthly meetings with the whole company where it's pretty transparent and we talk about everything, revenue, goals, key imperatives.

Bonus is pretty much already locked in close to 70% because of a subscription model, so you pretty much always get cash

Company actually has career maps for each employee to show what you need to do to get promoted. We promoted like 60 people recently. Pretty cool there, people want to do well.

Company shuts down near the holidays so extra free vacation days

A lot of booze. And always food around.

The cloud is a big cool step.

Cons

401k could be a bit better, but industry standard in Chicago.

This is more of a pro, we are growing quickly, which is good, but I can see people being uneasy about it. The company is crushing it and they are building out the teams which is exciting.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture they way it is! It's pretty fun, relaxed at times if you are doing a good job in your role. I like the management here

"Awesome"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineering Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineering Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at kCura full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, fast paced. Business outlook good. Tech challenges abound.

Cons

So much going on, can be chaotic.

"Looks good in interview, chaos and no work life balance once inside"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at kCura full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Access to new technological hardware and software
    Power standing desks
    Beer after work

Cons

No work life balance
    Micromanagement
    Unrealistic expectations and lots of after hours work
    Heavy turnover
    IT Department in severe need of structure

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging and allow individuals to perform their functions without hovering over their shoulder. Don't assign tasks with insufficient resources or unrealistic goals for completion. Provide growth opportunities and a career path.