kawasaki Motors Corp, USA Reviews in Irvine, CA | Glassdoor

Irvine, CA

1.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Masatoshi Tsurutani

"Not what it used to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at kawasaki Motors Corp, USA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive pay
    Health Benefits were good (not sure if that is still the same now)

Cons

It used to be "The Good Times Company" but new management from outside of the motorcycle industry has taken all of the joys of working for a motorcycle manufacturer out if it. They could care less if they were shipping motorcycles or toilets.

Advice to Management

Get back to hiring MOTORCYCLE enthusiasts that know the life, the culture and the industry.

2. "Bad pay, long hours, dont question the top, unskilled management and execs"

I have been working at kawasaki Motors Corp, USA full-time

Pros

Cool motorcycles, jet skis, and other vehicles

Cons

I wonder why the majority of people in this site have nothing good to say about this company, besides the fun about the motorcycles and other vehicles.

Top management Irvine CA has been drowning the company for too too many years without being fired or demoted. The company constantly struggles financially, tens of millions are lost or wasted, but the blame is always pushed down the chain of command, so top management can maintain their positions of power and privilege.

Those who rise the ranks are not the bright ones, but those who do not question management, no matter how wrong they are. This environment promotes inept managers and top management that do not have the needed knowledge and mental cleverness, but they are blindly loyal to the "herd".

All this is well known by all employees, but they keep their head down and say nothing in fear of risking a promotion or being fired. But even if they get a promotion, how can you feel accomplished knowing that you got promoted (not for being bright and having the skills), but because you don't question the "herd".

Advice to Management

Leave the company or demote yourself to a non-managerial role, so Kawasaki can prosper. But of course they will not, because they have brainwashed themselves to avoid feeling ashamed of who they are.

"Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Pros

Horrible work environment coupled with incompetent Executives from outside the power sports industries. Not a place to someone looking for career advancement.

Cons

Make cool bikes behind the curve on Side x Sides

"The corporate culture mimics a "hive collective"."

I have been working at kawasaki Motors Corp, USA full-time

Pros

The employee benefits are reasonable.

Cons

Any independent thought is discouraged, but blind obedience is rewarded.

"Something is wrong, but I can't put my finger on it."

Former Contractor - Sales in Irvine, CA
    Former Contractor - Sales in Irvine, CA

I worked at kawasaki Motors Corp, USA as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Cafeteria, gym, showers, most of the people are nice. People start off being nice to you but careful if they are upset with you, then they start to become rude and start to complain about you ( it's usually made up).

Cons

Received no training, there is a strong rumor mill, and there is an ineffective management . Low level thinking among the paper pushers and they are difficult to get along with. Management has a double standard policy. For example, I was told there was no personal use of internet; which I wasn't doing but someone complained about it. At the same time my entire department was on the internet for personal use. My supervisor was on her bank web site ( yes, the same one who told me no personal internet) the employee across from me was on her Facebook account ( with the same supervisor who told me no personal internet) looking over her shoulder making commentary. The temp in front of me was on Pinterest, NFL, or on Google chat every time I passed by her desk. And yet, it was okay for everyone else to have personal use of the internet except me ( again, I wasn't on it for personal use).

I sat there for hours and hours with no work because of their inefficiency and yet at the same time, they were laying off permanent employees. They used one of my suggestions without telling me of the change nor did they give me credit. Aside from that , how can you follow protocol when management hides it from you? If Kawasaki gets smart they can eliminate this department and update the process and spread the work among other employees. The management I worked with were long time employees who had developed bad working habits and were stunted professionally. It's incredible how outdated their business practices were.

Advice to Management

Improve management style to increase employee efficiency and teach managment it's unprofessional to be gossiping in front of other employees. It doesn't set a positive tone or help keep up morale.

"Unethical incompetent executives (Directors, VPs)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at kawasaki Motors Corp, USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

International company, working with nice Japanese people

Cons

1-US executives have been promoted due to years of service and the friendships they form internally, not because of their intellectual capabilities, strategic thinking, technical skills, and credentials. Some of them don't even have a college degree and the ones that do have one, who knows how they managed to graduate.

These executives don't see anything wrong with themselves. Instead, they see themselves as gifted leaders that the company needs in order to grow, despite of having financially sunk Kawasaki USA and positioned Kawasaki US in a deplorable state for many years already.

Despite of the above true facts, who knows what the Japanese executives and managers are still waiting for to re-engineer Kawasaki and fire all those US executives ?

2-Don't ever complain about any US executive, people have been retaliated and unethically terminated because of it. Non-executive employees cannot trust or complain to anybody inside Kawasaki, even if they are badly treated by executives. In fact there are executives that have received many complaints from other employees, but they still don't get fired or demoted.

3-Kawasaki in Irvine is an oversized organization because of executives' noticeable incompetence. Also, executives want to manage a lot of people to boost up their huge egos, their career, and resume. These executives do not care about the company, they just want to grow their departments to increase their image and power.

4-Executives are entitled to make 6 figure or even million Dollars investments in marketing projects, IT, logistics, operational, etc, even tough they don't have the knowledge, qualifications and skills to do so. So, the company ends up with huge loses with projects that do not bring in any money or benefits.

5-Awfully managed organization with wide-spread wasting of money due to executives' incompetence.Therefore, the company needs to rely on many external service providers that do a lot of work that should be done internally. These service providers are aware of this wide-spread incompetence and they take advantage of it by overcharging up to 10 times more for their services.

But these overcharges are also a double edge weapon. Perhaps some executives are aware of the hefty overcharges, but they pretend not to see anything in order to build mutually beneficial relationships with those service providers. This way, they can secure a solid network of contacts if they ever leave Kawasaki. (I scratch your back and you scratch mine)

6-Many well-qualified non-executive employees have been awfully treated by executives to force them to leave, because executives get jealous of their expertise and performance, or feel threatened by their expertise, or they just want to take credit for the ideas, knowledge and know-how that those employees brought into the company. Basically, it is a toxic work environment where the ones at the top clearly abuse their power.

7-Executives are aware of the injustices towards employees and hefty overcharges across different departments within the organization. However, executives function like a fraternity that protects each other, never question each other, and never voice their opinion about another executive's activities. Even if those activities harm the company, the employee morale, and harm non-executive employees, no executive will stick their nose on another executive's activities.

8-It is almost impossible to get a US executive fired, despite of employees complaining about them, despite of their poor performance or bad decisions, despite of having done unethical things, and despite of being directly responsible for loosing hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars. But these so-called executives have no remorse in firing non-executive employees because of their own mistakes.

9-Some executives have turned their departments into a very cumbersome illogical operation, so they can reinforce their job security and guarantee for themselves a large staff of people to manage. In the end, it is all about securing power, not about doing the right thing for the company.

10-The incompetence issues are so serious within Kawasaki US in Irvine that Kawasaki had to create "Kawasaki University", as a mean to internally teach the most basic elementary things to all employees, including to executives. We are not talking here about training, we are literally talking about teaching basic elementary things. Despite of that, Kawasaki HR always voice that they hire the best and most brilliant, even though employees need to be taught the most elementary things. Perhaps Kawasaki is in the "education" business.

11-The Japanese inside Kawasaki USA are extremely aware of all the above issues, despite of the constant lies and manipulation that US executives play on the Japanese staff and President. Unfortunately, the Japanese do absolutely nothing to fix any of the above issues. I wonder who is in control of Kawasaki...the Japanese or the US executives in Irvine?

Advice to Management

I advise the Japanese management in Irvine and Japan headquarters to clean up the house, fire all existing executives Irvine, in order to be able to re-engineer all Kawasaki motors USA in Irvine CA. The toxic, unjust, and dysfunctional organization that these US executives have created and preserved through time needs to be put to an end, in order to revive Kawasaki and secure a prosperous future.

"A Very Unethical and Disappointing place to work"

Former Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at kawasaki Motors Corp, USA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good standard company benefits. The motorcycle industry is generally very fun.

Cons

The Japanese are afraid to deal with HR issues in their respective department. Therefore, they put a heavy load on the incompetent upper management, who in-turn pass it to the incompetent HR department.

While there are a few exceptions, employee morale was quite low. One of many reasons (at least for me) was the unethical practices from the top. Many American staff enjoy the lack of Japanese supervision and steal parts and use expensive resources for their personal use. While I was there, a manager that was a known abuser (selling unregistered ATV's that should have been destroyed and trading parts for personal services) was PROMOTED by upper management. It is quite disgusting. This usually kills the spirit of other staff who truly want to work hard for a company in the industry they love - it did mine!

"Sadly, it's all true"

Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at kawasaki Motors Corp, USA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Interesting work, rank and file are down to earth people

Cons

Management is ignorant, abusive, uncaring, has an extremely top-down attitude

"Its an old school industry run by a good ole' boys club."

Current Employee - Marketing Professional in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Professional in Irvine, CA

Pros

Good benefits and work enviroment.

Cons

Very little opportunity for advancement. 75% of the management personnel have no formal training. They wouldn’t last a year managing anywhere else outside of the motorcycle industry.