mBlox Reviews | Glassdoor

mBlox CEO Tom Cotney
Tom Cotney

1. "No direction"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at mBlox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Managers generally seemed to know what they were doing. Due to my shift interaction was limited.

Cons

Over reaction to minor incidents. Implementation of product without fully testing. Training was at a minimum. In many cases you were just thrown to the deep end to see if you could swim.

Advice to Management

Better training, less stress on minor incidents. Trust your people to know what to do and let them do it.

2. "Ups and Downs"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Success Manager/Manager in Gilroy, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Success Manager/Manager in Gilroy, CA

I worked at mBlox (More than 8 years)

Pros

Mblox as a company really valued working employees. The more you worked, the harder you worked the more you are recognized by the company.

Cons

Company recognition is very rarely monetary and they expect that 40 hours a week is a part time job. They don't really push work/life balance and expect that the job take precedence above everything else.

Advice to Management

Work on building up your employees more and update your idea of what a work/life balance is. Take more time to ensure that projects are fully scoped and completed prior to implementing them.

3. "Undecided"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at mBlox (More than a year)

Pros

-Great people,
    -Nice vacation package to start
    -401k with match

Cons

Alot of change and uncertainty lie ahead.

5. "Smart company, but struggling industry"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

I worked at mBlox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic people
    Great customer base
    Opportunity for career development

Cons

Constant changes in leadership, strategy
    Lack of innovation in core technology

"Generally positive experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

Pros

Mblox acquired the small start-up company I worked at in mid-2014. I felt support from the executive team for our product and go-to-market strategy and embraced by the Mblox sales team, who made concerted effort to quickly become knowledgeable on our product offering, reach out to potential customers and drive sales.

I appreciated their flexible telecommuting policy.

Cons

Although our original team of developers worked independently from the rest of the organization, there were times when we needed support from the Mblox engineering and developer teams. Getting their attention was often difficult. However, I believe that was primarily due to those teams being extremely busy on a large and complicated top-priority initiative.

Multiple locations in different time zones and countries made communication and coordination difficult at times.

I definitely had the sense that Mblox was coming out of a difficult period, from the previous year or two before I joined, when many employees left and the headquarters moved from Silicon Valley to Atlanta. Roles and communication were not as organized as they should be, but I saw substantial progress during my time at the company and left feeling like things were moving in a positive direction.

Advice to Management

I believe there were three executive level re-orgs during my time there. On the one hand, I applaud the management for changing what they felt things wasn't working. On the other hand, I hope the current structure is well-thought out and can remain in place for a longer period of time. Continual shifts can disrupt teams and slow down the momentum of work.

"Great Work Environment, Challenging workload."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at mBlox full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Managers truly listen to you, work with you and make the Job a great place to be. 401k Match, Great PTO arrangements, Fun work events, Awesome Co-Workers, Challenging work that is dynamic and intriguing, Directly accessible from rail transportation. Despite the cons listed, If you do your best work and stay on top of your tasks you will be acknowledged and rewarded. Management is great at encouraging good work.

Cons

Convoluted and redundant work processes, stressful office politics at times, your work sometimes depends on the unsatisfactory work of others, constantly changing operational procedures often lead to confusion,

Advice to Management

More operations should be streamlined and automated. Other than that, Great job.

8. "Great place if you like working with various technologies"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

If you like to work with all kinds of technologies, this is the place for you. There is tons of opportunities to learn and help improve the environment. The people here is what makes the job fun. Great people who works hard and plays hard. The work/life balance is great and I never felt like I didn't have time to spend with my family.

Cons

The infrastructure is a mess and there is no time to address it. Projects are constantly coming in on the fly and you are expected to deliver on the spot. Unfortunately, this means sometimes taking shortcuts.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and think about how to implement change to effectively scale as the company grows. Taking too many shortcuts will become a management nightmare.

9. "mBlox is what you make it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at mBlox full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits: 401k match, awesome company outings, extensive PTO for your first year, managers listen to complaints and give you what you ask for, small enough to be heard but large enough to grow. Competitive Salary.

Convenient Location: New Atlanta office is accessible by Marta. Sandy Springs station. Office has tons of onsite perks including: dry cleaning, barber, car wash, oil change, florist, beverage store, and cafeteria(food is good).

New office(January 2014) has brought on a new corporate culture. Everyone is friendly and willing to help you succeed here, just come ready to work.

New CEO has vision and has made changes to make the vision a reality. I can say for the first time in my life, I enjoy coming to work everyday.

Cons

The technology here is fairly proprietary. Run of the mill employees may find it hard to relate the experience here to future endeavors. If you have to be micromanaged or have tough skin this isn't the place for you. If your looking to just tread water somewhere this also is not the place for you as there are performance metrics that are reviewed constantly.

Advice to Management

Allow your bright, up and coming stars a chance to grow here.

Continue to retain your top talent, you almost let a few of your key players go.

"A really bad experience."

Former Employee - Manager, Billing in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Manager, Billing in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at mBlox full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't think of anything really good to say about Mblox.

Cons

1. They openly discriminate against older workers.
    2. You have no personal time or work life balance at all.
    3. The individuals and groups work against each other.
    4. There are no professional managers there, they all have their own personal agendas.

Advice to Management

Do not work for these people, no matter what they promise you. Once you commit, your job description will change and they will start beating you down. I am still in shock from the treatment I received and it was only after I left that I found out that I was not alone. The person who replaced me quit after 2 months.

11. "Secrets and lies and redundancy"

Former Employee - Management in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Management in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at mBlox full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary, wfh flexibility. Non-management employees competent and nice people trying to do the best job they can.

Cons

Unrealistic product roadmap. Projects that spiral out of control and literally cost $$$ before getting cancelled entirely. Virtually no one close to customers who understands the market place or product management - no product innovation. Qualified people leave out of frustration so unqualified people stick around and get promoted to their level of extreme incompetence.

Advice to Management

Lose the acting CEO, the third in 5 years who is ineffective and has turned nothing around as well as all other CXO leadership. The "board / investors" have clearly realised there is no path to profitability so is making mBlox work with other companies in their portfolio to take money out of mBlox.