mBlox Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
mBlox CEO Tom Cotney
Tom Cotney

1. "Smart company, but struggling industry"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

I worked at mBlox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic people
    Great customer base
    Opportunity for career development

Cons

Constant changes in leadership, strategy
    Lack of innovation in core technology

"Generally positive experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

Pros

Mblox acquired the small start-up company I worked at in mid-2014. I felt support from the executive team for our product and go-to-market strategy and embraced by the Mblox sales team, who made concerted effort to quickly become knowledgeable on our product offering, reach out to potential customers and drive sales.

I appreciated their flexible telecommuting policy.

Cons

Although our original team of developers worked independently from the rest of the organization, there were times when we needed support from the Mblox engineering and developer teams. Getting their attention was often difficult. However, I believe that was primarily due to those teams being extremely busy on a large and complicated top-priority initiative.

Multiple locations in different time zones and countries made communication and coordination difficult at times.

I definitely had the sense that Mblox was coming out of a difficult period, from the previous year or two before I joined, when many employees left and the headquarters moved from Silicon Valley to Atlanta. Roles and communication were not as organized as they should be, but I saw substantial progress during my time at the company and left feeling like things were moving in a positive direction.

Advice to Management

I believe there were three executive level re-orgs during my time there. On the one hand, I applaud the management for changing what they felt things wasn't working. On the other hand, I hope the current structure is well-thought out and can remain in place for a longer period of time. Continual shifts can disrupt teams and slow down the momentum of work.

"Great Work Environment, Challenging workload."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at mBlox full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Managers truly listen to you, work with you and make the Job a great place to be. 401k Match, Great PTO arrangements, Fun work events, Awesome Co-Workers, Challenging work that is dynamic and intriguing, Directly accessible from rail transportation. Despite the cons listed, If you do your best work and stay on top of your tasks you will be acknowledged and rewarded. Management is great at encouraging good work.

Cons

Convoluted and redundant work processes, stressful office politics at times, your work sometimes depends on the unsatisfactory work of others, constantly changing operational procedures often lead to confusion,

Advice to Management

More operations should be streamlined and automated. Other than that, Great job.

5. "Nothing bad to report"

Pros

Good direction from leadership team

Cons

Can improve the culture of the firm

6. "It was a good company to work for"

I have been working at mBlox full-time

Pros

Culture in the office was really good. Our word is our bond. Win Win!! In honour of the team

Cons

Lack of investment in staff

Advice to Management

Invest more in people and less in expensive platform that will be axed as the next CEO come on board

7. "Company"

Former Employee - Software Developer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in London, England (UK)

I worked at mBlox full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people to work with who were very talented. Always something go on at the company to keep you busy and involved.

Cons

Not many.
    Maybe better office location would have helped. More communication from the exec team would have been very useful

Advice to Management

Continue as you are

8. "mblox"

Pros

good place to be with great professional at that time...

Cons

lack of a clear vision of the next step in the messaging industry.
    Risk to collapse as too focused on the old business of messaging.

9. "Good environment, interesting technology"

Former Employee - Technical Lead in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Technical Lead in London, England (UK)

I worked at mBlox full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice colleagues, not pressurized work place, great technology

Cons

CEOs that made wrong choices and that made a lot of people redundant moving almost everything back to USA

Advice to Management

Open more positions in London and support does matter!

10. "Nice place to work and people appreciate it when you do a good job"

Current Employee - Client Support Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Client Support Engineer in London, England (UK)

Pros

The people are very friendly and fun to chat with.
    The managers pay attention to what you do all day and show their appreciation for the work you put in.
    There is always someone willing to help if you need it.
    Processes are clearly laid out and easy to follow.
    There is great job prospects, career growth and line managers will put you forward for roles they think you would be good at.
    The training programs are very good and post-training support is even better.
    The company feels like it is going places, and has the data to back up the claim.
    There is always something new to learn and you won't get bored doing the same things over and over again.
    The London office is in a great location and is not short of facilities for lunch time or evening fun.

Cons

A minority of departments lean more to the reactive than proactive work ethic but this is changing, slowly.
    The lifts keep breaking so sometimes you have to use the stairs.
    High level management tend to keep to themselves and their immediate subordinates.
    Due to the processes in place, simple changes can take time to complete and harder changes can sometimes carry on for months.
    Office politics have at times been handled unproffesionally.

Advice to Management

Finding out things at the last minute can be disturbing, even more so when you have to find out first on the grapevine. Be more forth coming, transparent and open about upcoming changes, even if the effect of changes may not be appreciated by all employees further down the line, people will see your transparent attitudes as a sign of honesty and integrity.