nFocus Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Ananda Roberts

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Family-like atmosphere, great place to work"

I have been working at nFocus Solutions full-time

Pros

There was a very warm and welcoming feeling as soon as I set foot in the door on my first interview, and that has continued throughout my employment. The President is incredibly energetic and accommodating, and she will always find a way to make sure the staff is comfortable and being challenged enough. The vision for the company is easy to get behind, this is truly work that the staff can feel great about doing.

Cons

Evolving client needs seem to require more developers.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on improving internal processes and communication between teams. Find a way to onboard some additional developers to help push forward the products.

2. "Great work but horrible management"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at nFocus Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had a lot of freedom when it came to software development and I enjoyed the actual work.

Cons

Forced to work 8-5. Cannot skip lunch to leave early. No working from home. Forced to take PTO if you left for any reason.

Advice to Management

Loosen up and trust your employees.

3. "No. No, no no."

I worked at nFocus Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a small company, so there are fewer layers to work through, and less red tape than larger organizations. Pay is fairly assessed and competitive.

Cons

The software offerings are a buggy, awful mess that do not live up to client expectations. Software is sold to prospective clients on promises that the experience will improve, but it never does, as thousands of items slowly pile up in their "we'll get to it" backlog that dates back several YEARS. Communication from the top level down -- except at their mandatory yearly "pep" rally -- is nearly nil. Corporate sense of "team" as a group you would pull together to achieve goals with is nonexistent -- corporate structure encourages finger-pointing at every other department when things invariably go wrong, instead of working as a single cohesive unit. "That's not my job" is just as common to hear as "the system is down AGAIN?!" Everyone working there just trudges along like the Bataan Death March and hopes things will one day improve -- the product, the management, the calls, ANYTHING. Years spent there point at "no" as the likely answer.

Advice to Management

Good luck. You'll need it.

nFocus Solutions Response

Jul 31, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for the feedback. We are committed to creating a comfortable, transparent and collaborative environment for all of our employees so I'm disappointed to hear about some of your experiences... More

"Great Place To Work!"

Current Employee - Account/Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Account/Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at nFocus Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was surprised to read some of the older reviews. I have been at the company for 5 months and have really enjoyed my time here. If you like working for a small company where your voice is heard and you don't want to feel like a number, this is a good place for you.

No micro management.
    I have the support I need to do my job.
    Co-workers are great
    Pay is good.
    Hours are normal.
    Hard work does not go unnoticed.

Cons

The company culture is changing (for the positive), but there are still some operational kinks to work out. This just takes time and patience. However, if you don't like something, you can initiate the change instead of stewing over it.

Advice to Management

Continue having a positive attitude and motivating your employees - it trickles down.

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Account Project Manager
    Current Employee - Account Project Manager

Pros

Lots of opportunity
    Company mission is motivating
    Great people

Cons

No casual fridays - dress code is business casual every day

6. "Best Places to Work"

Current Employee - Project Mgt\Client Support
    Current Employee - Project Mgt\Client Support

Pros

Great company with a history of providing meaningful solutions to underserved markets. The company has strong leadership and a culture of people that care about the work that they do. Management looks for and rewards merit-based work.

Cons

Centrally located, but the commute can occasionally be a challenge. My manager worked with me to adjust my schedule where it works well for both me and the company.

Advice to Management

Thank you for the opportunity. Management is continuously striving for excellent customer support by focusing on product quality and cultivating existing talent in addition to looking for good hires. I look forward to being here for years to come.

"Inside Sales"

Pros

There are no pros. You get a base salary which is good because no one is making sales.

Cons

No marketing support, products are outdated and don't accomplish what the website says they accomplish. CEO is a tyrant and extremely unprofessional. I was hired to join an 8 person team. All were gone within a year. One day it iced over in Austin and the office was closed. Even though the office was closed, everybody was docked a vacation day. That is how they treat their employees. The Austin office was on such a tight budget that we had to supply our own coffee.

Advice to Management

Take a look at your products, be honest about what they accomplish. CEO needs to delegate because she should not be in front of employees.

"Avoid At All Cost!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at nFocus Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay on time. Rank and file are mostly very friendly people.

Cons

From the highly restrictive office culture (no cellphones, business attire every day, obsessive paranoia about things like thumb drives) to the aversion to such fundamental safety nets as unit testing and gated check ins to a near absence of process (the term "cowboy coding" had to have been made for nFocus!!) to the opaque and top-heavy management to the 94 projects in one solution all referencing each other and sharing a single 'packages' folder despite the fact that there are individual products made up out of those projects to horrible architectural decisions on the part of the head of development (three different data access methods, abstractions of abstractions of abstractions, IoC containers used to spin up monolithic classes, etc, etc), to manual builds and deployments, to ZERO devops monitoring to a cavalier disregard of service and domain boundaries (for example...consuming applications making service calls into a broker API sometimes while directly calling the dll out of expediency at other times)...there really is very little good I have to say about the work environment.

A stagnant, suffocating and poorly managed swamp where passion and curiosity go to die.

Advice to Management

Drag yourselves into the 20th century

nFocus Solutions Response

Dec 19, 2016 – HR Manager

"Pay attention to reviews. I wish I had."

I worked at nFocus Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many talented employees, unfortunately the talent is walking out. There are no pros to this company. Extremely unprofessional, unethical and will soon be a thing of the past.

Cons

Executive management continually belittles employees. Employees that have proven industry track records are treated as though a child could do their job. No authority is given to make decisions but when something goes wrong you will be held accountable for a decision you didn't make.

Advice to Management

Call it a day. No advice would be considered, it wasn't when I worked there, it won't be now. Fake reviews are obvious, anyone who has had the unpleasant experience of working here know the truth.

"Run. Run far and run fast. Stay as far away as you can."

I worked at nFocus Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the non-leadership people are amazing. There's a lot of great talent there--friendly, fun to be around and absolutely incredible at what they do.

Cons

Oh man, where do I start?

1. The owner makes very irrational decisions, seemingly on a whim, and then she'll forget she made them and blame you for the outcome.
    2. It's not unusual for you to be aggressively questioned about everything and frequently told that what you're doing is "not smart."
    3. I was once told a kindergartner could do my job.
    4. I've also been told that I'm super overpaid (I was actually under market salary.)
    5. If you try to talk to HR about what you're experiencing (and what you're experiencing is being yelled at, cursed at, and receiving 12+ emails demanding things on Thanksgiving day) the answer you'll get is "there's a reason your position is hard to keep filled."
    6. 40% turnover.
    7. The same time that money is being cut everywhere - no funds spend on office supplies, begging vendors for major discounts, salaries cut, losing majorly need resources for our jobs - thousands and thousands are being spent on no-return tradeshows and company vacations.
    8. People have been promised raises, vacation time, etc. on paper and then not given it.
    9. Clients are really mad at the company because we promise big things and then either under-deliver, severely delay delivering or flat out don't deliver.
    10. It's extremely common to devote a lot of time to a high-demand project, then mid-stream be asked where something tiny is and, when explaining where you're time has been spent, you'll then be yelled at for not having the tiny thing done because the big thing no longer matters suddenly.

And that's just all I can remember off the top of my head - I'm sure there's more. Ignore the positive reviews - I was once asked to fake positive reviews on here for the company but refused because it's unethical - and listen to this instead. Many people who have been in the industry for years and even decades have said "I've never been in a place like this before" and that's not said positively. Take that to heart.

Advice to Management

Nothing, because none of it would be considered or listened to anyway.