nSight Reviews | Glassdoor

nSight Reviews

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tess Kastning

1. "Great work without the hassle!"

Current Employee - Proofreader (and Others) in Dover, NH
    Current Employee - Proofreader (and Others) in Dover, NH

Pros

I have worked for nSight for more than a year, and I've done both on-site and remote editorial assignments for them. NSight helped me make the transition out of a frustrating full-time job, so I will always be grateful for that. I love that they bring the work to me -- I don't have to market myself or negotiate anything directly with clients. They work hard to make sure that the assignment is a good fit for everyone. My current assignment has worked out wonderfully. I actually made less per hour at the full-time job I hated, so I could not be happier!

Cons

Work can be sporadic, but that is a challenge with any type of freelancing. I can imagine that working for nSight might be frustrating for someone who needs a solid long-term plan, because work is sometimes offered on short notice and deadlines can shift around. That does not bother me, because I keep my schedule flexible on purpose. I always have the ability to turn down work if I'm not available.

Advice to Management

For internal projects, it would be great if off-site contractors were given a better sense of the big picture and how the roles/ steps fit together. Sometimes the people running the project assume everyone understands the context for their piece of the project and who's responsible for what. A flowchart or two would help a lot.

May 2, 2016 – Management

We're happy that you have had such a good experience working with us. We strive to bring our temporary employees assignments that are engaging and match their skill set well. Your feedback about ... More

2. "Solid option for hardworking freelancers"

Current Contractor - Subject Matter Expert, Freelance Writer in Orlando, FL
    Current Contractor - Subject Matter Expert, Freelance Writer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at nSight as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are several pros to working at this company.

First, the W-2 pay is very nice for freelancers who are used to dealing with 1099s. The system they use for payroll is very efficient, which means that you are paid for your work one week after each 2 week pay period ends. This is favorable, especially since many freelance writers deal with organizations that delay payment by 30 or even 45 days.

Second, I enjoy the level of respect and clear communication I receive from both HR and from my project managers. I feel like a valuable member of the team, even though I've never met my coworkers in person. As a freelancer with almost 15 years of experience, respect matters to me. I expect to be paid well and on time, and I expect my opinions and contributions to be appreciated. This organization comes through in this regard.

Cons

There are a few cons as well. Sometimes I will agree to work on a project and make space for it in my schedule, only to have the project fall through at the last moment. This is a general hazard of being a freelancer, but it can be frustrating and does cut down on my average yearly income by quite a bit. It can sometimes feel like I'm not progressing in my career due to this issue.

Project startup can also be stressful, as each writing project is very different and sometimes it's difficult to ascertain exactly what needs to be done. I feel the project managers do their best, however, so for the most part this isn't a huge deal.

Finally, the hourly rate of pay I've received from this organization has not changed since I took my first project with them in 2008. For some projects, it's even been less than it was in 2008. I could use a noticeable raise to stay motivated and positive.

Advice to Management

Offer hourly raises to your most reliable and flexible freelancers, or, give your best freelancers the option of permanent part-time employment with benefits.

May 2, 2016 – Management

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience working with Cohesion (formerly nSight, Inc.) We're happy to hear your experience has been generally positive and understand your feedback as ... More

"Great company with people and family first culture"

Former Employee - Director in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Director in Burlington, MA

I worked at nSight full-time

Pros

Great people and diverse service offering across multiple industries. A perfect company if you are passionate about educational, technical and marketing content development.

Cons

Sometimes lack focus on core strengths and editorial expertise. Benefits weren't great. Not much room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Hone offerings around professional writing and editing services and narrow the number of industries to cater to. Update website to reflect the company's current services capabilities and forward momentum.

Apr 15, 2015 – Management

Thank you for the kind and honest review and feedback, as well as being a vital part in cultivating nSight's "family first" culture.

5. "Good first job, as a clearly defined contract position. Clear communication from team members."

Former Contractor - Production Assistant in Burlington, MA
    Former Contractor - Production Assistant in Burlington, MA

I worked at nSight as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Good first job. Contract position as their busy times are seasonal. Most contractors work remotely. People in office are very friendly, professional, and helpful in general.

Cons

Bulk of the work is geared around the college semesters, it's a contract gig largely, but if you do well, part time hours can be extended.

Advice to Management

No real advice except that your model appears to work well for your busy seasons, but consider the talent that you may be passing on in the meantime. You could potentially be developing more products/services with this talent.

"Great small company with dedicated, loyal, hardworking employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

Pros

Open management, shared information on performance, accessability, very flexible on work schedules

Cons

little corporate structure, fluid environment, multiple service offerings across two businesses can make it difficult to manage, set priorities, or focus resources

Advice to Management

Keep people informed, maintain open channels of communications or even expand them

7. "Good company and organization"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

Decent rates, good project managing. There were a few projects that the client would muddle through objectives, and my experience has been that nSight/Cohesion would often clarify and put them on task.

Cons

Not always a lot of work. As this is dependent upon the number of clients, sometimes there's a lot to do, sometimes there's nothing. Given the business, I get the feeling the client has a lot of power and say in their projects, which puts the freelancer at a disadvantage.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure I have any. It's a tough balance between finding the next client, and finding the right client.

8. "Flexible"

Pros

You have a flexible schedule with the ability to work from home.

Cons

Communication from managers regarding available hours and project details can sometimes be unclear.

9. "Flex time available"

Pros

Having flex time. It allows more productivity.

Cons

CEO has no publishing or editorial experience and does not understand the markets.
    Project Manager salaries are highly variable.

Mar 30, 2016 – Management

Thank you for your feedback. We’re happy to hear that the flex time was beneficial to you. Employees of Cohesion’s Boston office (formerly nSight) enjoy flex time and have the option to work ... More

"Bait and Switch"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at nSight as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Starting rate was very competitive. Multiple opportunities to work from home.

Cons

They would routinely lower the rate and increase the deliverables. Profit margin was the only concern. They don't respect boundaries, saying you can set your own schedule but criticizing if you are unavailable at other times. There's a lack of social competence among management as they fail to even acknowledge major life events (two team members lost parents during the project. They noticed, of course, because the staff member might not be able to deliver that week.)

Advice to Management

Grow a heart.

Apr 16, 2015 – Management

As you can imagine, I am troubled to read this and very sorry to hear that this was your experience working with nSight. It is a goal of our organization to be a human workplace, and my heart goes ... More

"great place to work"

Current Contractor - Freelance Editor
    Current Contractor - Freelance Editor

I have been working at nSight as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexible, competitive salary and contracts, caring staff

Cons

Can't think of one con.

Apr 16, 2015 – Management

Thank you for the review; We're happy to have you on our team.