nearmap Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
nearmap CEO Rob Newman
Rob Newman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good perks such as free food, snacks, fortnightly massages (in 7 reviews)

• New CEO has come in and changed things up for the better (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Staff Turnover is very high including 2 HR Managers in 2 years (in 5 reviews)

• Fast paced with a lot going on so have to be able to prioritize and manage your own work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

1. "Fun growing SAAS company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at nearmap full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture and very positive vibe permeates office. Fast growing revenues, open communication, nice office space, regular entertainment to celebrate milestones, and lots of food and drinks in the office.

Cons

A lot of work to be done combined with big international time differences between offices leads to a fair amount of OT

Advice to Management

Need to add a 401k match as growth allows to stay competitive with other Tech companies in area looking for talent

"Going places"

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at nearmap full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Leadership has a vision. Additional sales management has recently been added, and so far I've been impressed.

-Product is much better than lots of competitors

-Competitive pay and benefits

-Really solid coworkers.

-Stable financially

Cons

-Some features have been promised for some time and are still not available

-Our sales tool stack is not all that great. People talk about how robust it is, but it's really nothing special. Not a huge con, more like not the plus a few people claim it is.

-Dress code is a little old school. Utah is much more similar to silicon valley than NYC.

-No equity. Something to do with Australian laws preventing us from owning stock publicly traded there.

Advice to Management

-The only advice I would give is to keep on track. Things are going well.

"former employee"

I worked at nearmap full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people at lower levels here in the states. Process and Sales were as expected but Australian leadership had no clue as to what was going on. After a super expensive and typical startup sales meeting at the most expensive resort in Utah the hammer fell. CEO was released. The external sales team had unreachable targets and the axe continued to fall. Nearmap has really cool technology and intense imagery but failed in marketing and a viable value statement.

Cons

Led by some of the worst people managers I have experienced. No transparency or communication. Sure its about sales but as a relative startup in the states you have to people in country to understand delivery. As a hunter, it still bugs me that we had such lofty goals for a very low average sale.. Top producers were eliminated without so much as a review or warning....

Advice to Management

Seems you have more of a local presence but still guided by Australian leadership. Drone and Fixed wing is changing in the US so i would advise caution with NearMap

May 3, 2017 – SVP and GM, North America

Thanks for your advice and comments. Although I wasn't with the company yet - I have heard stories about the 2015 Sales Kickoff at the Montage and how it was a little over the top. Things have... More

"A NEW perspective - US operations restarted in 2016"

Current Employee - Sales in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Sales in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Having worked at 10+ different companies in my career, start-ups and F50 companies over a 25+ year career, I find Nearmap is a company that has the foundational components that set up a start-up company to succeed.

Nearmap has a differentiated product in an emerging market with a management team that listens to the market needs and makes adjustments on the fly.

I'm satisfied as an employee, I find that the management team values employee opinions, listens to employee recommendations, and responds decisively to changes that are required to succeed.

Nearmap is a very collegial environment - the team in place today is very willing to help out, do what it takes to succeed.

Cons

As it is with any start-up company, Nearmap doesn't have it all figured out yet.

The company had a rough start in 2015 - plenty of other reviews that talk to that. This is no longer an issue.

All start-up companies have growing pains, and Nearmap today is no different. This isn't necessarily a negative, but it is something that prospective employees need to evaluate as they look at employment possibilities.

A successful employee at Nearmap has to be self-directed and can operate autonomously in a fast paced environment - if this is you, you will thrive here.

Advice to Management

Nearmap should continue to invest in the product, move up the value chain, for organizations who can leverage "truth on the ground" to solve problems.

Apr 26, 2017 – SVP and GM, North America

Thanks for your review. I am happy to hear that you are challenged but satisfied in your work. It's nice to have you as part of the foundation to help us build a great company. It's hard work and... More

"Sales team-Salt Lake City"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at nearmap full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent product, gaining some real traction in the U.S market against current competitors. Becoming seen as the cost effective alternative with many pros against the current market leader for many small/medium enterprises. Expanding image coverage gaining new interest daily from untapped markets.

Cons

Lack of technical support team in the U.S as its all out of Australia for now. This is not a huge con but as the U.S operations continues to grow at its rapid pace then it would be wise for them to invest in a technical support team here.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in the marketing efforts in the U.S because it is now really starting to pay its dividends. The potential of the product to go neck to neck with the current market leader in terms of sales is undeniable.

Feb 14, 2017 – Human Resources Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we are sorry that your experience with Nearmap has you feeling this way and doubting the company that you work for. We understand that we’re not... More

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - High-resolution Aerial Imagery Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at nearmap (Less than a year)

Pros

Great startup environment with a high growth in the US.
    Resources are dedicated to make the team successful. The new CEO is very close with the team and you can feel that he genuinely care about the team.
    Good compensation plan.
    Allow you to have a very well balance work/home-life.

Cons

A small felling of disconnection between US and Australia. But this isn't anything that is super inconvenient. Other than that, no complaints.

Advice to Management

More technical help in the US is necessary. It would be great to attend to more shows. Keep the amazing work you are doing with us in the US.

"nearmap, great place to be!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

US presence is growing. New CEO has come in and changed things up for the better. Not a lot of competition in the space. Executives are dedicating a good amount of time and resources to making the US business successful. Competitive pay, great benefits. Very balanced work/home life.

Overall, I am very happy I made the move to nearmap. Awesome culture, hands off management and a disruptive product.

Cons

All engineering is based in AU, so there is a bit of a disconnect between us and them. But this isn't anything that is super inconvenient. Other than that, no complaints.

Advice to Management

Hire some technical help in the US. That's it. Love what is being built here. Keep empowering us US reps to do big things!

"Sales Engineer"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Nearmap is an up and coming tech company. It's been very successful in Australia and is now expanding into the USA. Benefits and culture are great! The business leadership and vision they provide is excellent.

Cons

Very few cons for me on working at Nearmap. It's been a great change from other tech companies where I've previously worked.

Advice to Management

Invest in the systems to support the business

"Struggling with U.S. Presence"

Pros

Interesting technology
    Decent SF location (but office space itself is bad)
    Smart product people in AU

Cons

Lack of culture in U.S.
    Mismanaged/erratic HR and Operations
    No vision
    Long hours, little recognition
    U.S./AU teams don't work well together yet there is no leadership in U.S. Flying people in from AU occasionally doesn't help floundering U.S. presence.

Advice to Management

Hire real leaders in U.S. to grow the company. Foster a better environment. Everyone is afraid they are about to get fired with all the erratic layoffs while at the same time bringing in dozens of new candidates. Start over and create a better environment, hire the right people and let the people do what you hired them to do. Way too much micro management in some areas and in others areas it takes weeks to just get a response to a simple email Q.

"US Sales People - Stay Away!"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at nearmap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good people. No bad eggs , bad attitudes
    - Good benefits package

Cons

Where to start....
    1. US is a sinking ship. No leadership in place. Have to go to Australia for everything, and the Australians no zero about how to sell in the US
    2. Product is simply not good enough. US sales team sells a stripped down version of the product they sell in Australia. Prospects have no interest in spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on imagery they can already get for free in the states.
    3. Have never seen so much turnover at a company
    4. Having to go to Australia for EVERYTHING you need, and waiting a day if not more for an answer to a simple question
    5. You will not make any commission.
    6. Their average deal size in US is 2k a YEAR

Advice to Management

- Australia and the US are very different animals.
    - Recognize that the nearmap product doesnt have the same value here that it does there