onefinestay Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Evan Frank

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great team and a great company overall (in 6 reviews)

• HR and management really go out of their way to make you feel like a valued member of the team and make for a fun work environment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There needs to be a bigger emphasis on a work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Very long hours, little compensation (in 7 reviews)

1. "Still a great place to work and learn"

I have been working at onefinestay full-time

Pros

Working at onefinestay is always exciting. I enjoy being part of a high caliber team of intelligent and thoughtful colleagues who allow me to do my best work and who I can learn from each day.

Cons

There has been a lot of change over the past 9 months and while change is often difficult to navigate, Evan Frank, our CEO, has been very consistent in his messaging and in making himself available to team members.

2. "review"

I worked at onefinestay full-time

Pros

Nice atmosphere. Some employees were friendly

Cons

Management was very impatient. They had unachievable expectations.

"A Failed Experiment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at onefinestay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many OFS staff members are great people, working extremely hard to provide an excellent customer service experience for guests and homeowners. There's an above average amount of freedom to experiment with various types of problem-solving. Plus, you get to see some astounding homes.

Cons

OFS is plagued by structural and systemic problems that, after years of operation, either have not or simply cannot be rectified. Despite its infatuation with the "startup" label, OFS is not a tech company: it is a hospitality firm, claiming to be in the business of disrupting an industry it has repeatedly shown it does not actually understand. At the local (branch) level, OFS is a bunch of 20- and 30-somethings with little to no experience in bringing a company to profitability. Moreover, there are legitimate concerns about the OFS's ability to ever reach profitability, given the notoriously low margins of the industry and the firm's continued difficulty in finding a stable operating model.

OFS has not demonstrated any of the positive scale or network effects often associated with tech startups. This is because OFS is not a tech startup, but a hospitality upstart. Unlike airbnb, OFS purports to sell a luxury product, making cost-cutting difficult, as consumers of luxury goods and services are particularly sensitive to reductions in product quality. The only ways for OFS to significantly reduce its costs also significantly impact guest and homeowner experience, harming the overall brand. Like many other would-be "disrupters" of low-margin industries centered on physical goods or services, OFS is struggling to reach profitability. Given that OFS is still not profitable after 8 years of operation (the firm was founded in 2009), it seems unlikely that it will ever be able to survive without significant investor subsidy.

The tech startup concept is particularly laughable when applied to OFS, due to its ongoing issues with technology. Internal apps frequently fail. Office IT is often one overworked (and massively under-appreciated) staff member. Tech tools are chosen poorly and then barely maintained. Internal systems for data collection and management are insufficient, if present at all. While OFS likes to present an image of being a nimble, young, tech-driven company, its tech is woefully inadequate.

There are also significant problems with OFS's office culture. OFS branches are racially stratified, with the vast majority of black and brown staff members occupying the lowest positions (mostly cleaners). After being acquired by its corporate parent and the subsequent revelation of the firm's dire financial situation (severe capital burn, etc.), OFS began to cut costs by laying off or otherwise removing its lowest paid staff, sometimes replacing them with "independent contractors" (quotes used, because these workers often do not meet the legal requirements set by the Department of Labor). As for higher paid staff (managers, etc.), there seems to be a dearth of oversight and a glut of undeserved compensation. The firm tracks very little data and has almost no useful performance metrics. As such, friends hire friends and friends promote friends. Poor performance, especially in managers, is rarely (if ever) punished. Hardworking employees at lower levels are routinely exploited and sometimes outright abused.

Advice to Management

Stop outsourcing to "independent contractors". Create and maintain clear systems of employee management and development. Focus on building a strong, happy staff that is capable of providing the highest level of service. Unfortunately, even those things may not be enough, given the structural obstacles of the industry.

4. "Neither here nor there"

I worked at onefinestay part-time

Pros

Great company environment and culture

Cons

No room for growth for an outsider.

"Do not get involved"

Former Employee - Prep Team Lead in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Prep Team Lead in New York, NY

I worked at onefinestay part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free things you find at the homes. Daily workout. People in the office are "nice", and your in field workers are pretty nice (not the cleaners).

Cons

This was one of the worst working experiences I've ever had. Not only was it mentally and physically exhausting, this company is abusive. Hire you weeks before the craziest season of their year, barely train, and then throw you into the pit. You're responsible for the most minute detail, but have no time to do your job. You have to deal with the CONSTANT drama of the cleaners, oh, and they spy on you too. The people you're responsible for watch and report any and everything that you do to feel some kind of vindication for getting reprimanded. This company is honestly operating illegally in NYC. They claim to "clean homes" yet they fail to mention they act as brokers and rent out homes for periods of times.

Don't waste your time. They want to pretend they're super understanding, and they're your friend. Every. Single. One. Of. Them. But they're not. Don't get involved with this sham company. It messed me up psychologically.

Advice to Management

Give your people time. Find people who genuinely like to clean, not society's "left behind". Recognize that you shouldn't be a machine. Great companies ARE NOT MACHINES. Your turn over rate is so high for a start up, it's embarrassing. Give your new hires TIME. You throw them away when you start to feel scared.

"A lot of hype."

I worked at onefinestay full-time

Pros

Some really smart people, a cool service.

Cons

Odd culture. Lacks transparency.

"My 2 cents"

I worked at onefinestay full-time

Pros

- Individual Employees have ample time and opportunities to bond with their respective teams.
    - There is a culture of informality that allows employees to voice to give honest feed back if need by.
    - relaxed workplace
    -Teams understand what goals and the respective departments are working towards. All members of a team feel like they are contributing to the successes and failures of the company.

Cons

- Now on to the contradiction, the ability to voice your opinion doesn't me people will listen or care, or act on it even if it is to the companies benefit.
    - I disagree with previous posts about not feeling like a corporate cog. Me and many others definitely felt like corporate cogs. At least for some departments it was evidently clear that if they did not fit the culture of being young and slightly privileged, the department as a whole was passive aggressively treated as if they were a blight on the company.
    - When I was hired it was never explained that upward mobility in the company was primarily drawn from Member Services. So unless you fit in to the previously discussed culture of being young and slightly privileged as well as being hired for Member Services. There really isn't much you can work towards.
    -No really HR team to fall back on for advice and general HR services that one would assume need to be done. The office manager fills that role, and it is never clear whether or not they have any power to act as a HR personnel.

Advice to Management

Nothing there has always been a problem.

"Nice company, mediocre salary."

Pros

The people were really great, super friendly, cooperative, intelligent, capable, I really did enjoy my time there.

Cons

I felt that my level of expertise was not commensurate with my salary. When I was there, it was a step above a start-up, and I could have been paid more.

Advice to Management

None really, solid operation. However, high margins typically equal high net profits, which lead to higher salaries for employees. The people I worked with, particularly in the housekeeping staff worked themselves to the bone. I hope they were better paid than I!

"Part-Time Greeter Review"

Former Employee - Greeter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Greeter in New York, NY

I worked at onefinestay part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Flexibility of hours (you choose your scheduled greets)
    -Great exposure to customer service and startup experience

Cons

-Departure time from greets/shifts can be unpredictable
    -Fairly low hourly rate for NYC

Advice to Management

-Management of company seemed generally a bit unorganized and frantic
    -Find ways to have part-time employees feel more included in the company's mission, goals, culture, etc., as they are the face of the company

"Good for culture and product"

Pros

I loved the people, the homes, and the product. There really is a great value proposition. Opportunity for horizontal growth.

Cons

Can be very busy with little benefits, and not a ton of guidance as to upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Up the pay a bit, and make sure you are investing in your employees' futures.

onefinestay Response

Jan 28, 2016 – People Manager

Hi there, thanks for stopping by onefinestay's page to review your experience. We really appreciate the feedback and I'm really glad to hear you enjoyed your experience of working for onefinestay... More