percona Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 6, 2019

4.8
percona Founder & CEO Peter Zaitsev
Peter Zaitsev
Pros
  • "Work from home, flexible schedule(in 14 reviews)

• "(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Working from home can be difficult to some people(in 4 reviews)

• "(in 3 reviews)

1. "Best company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Solutions Engineer

I have been working at percona full-time for less than a year

Pros

Highly intelligent and hardworking company. Everyone is very friendly and will help you with anything they can

Cons

None, its a remote company so whatever challenges you face working from home, but I don't see any.

percona2019-07-12
  2. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Senior Leader

I have been working at percona full-time

Pros

Great people from around the world, Good company direction, Growing business in an advancing Industry, Work from home,

Cons

When you work from home its hard to 'turn off'. Expect to make yourself extra 'visible' to your colleagues as they are remote too.

percona2019-12-06

"Amazing culture, great people, and an awesome place to work"

I have been working at percona full-time for less than a year

Pros

Percona attracts very talented individuals and has a very collaborative culture. Management is very transparent with info and stays involved with staff at all levels of the company on a regular basis. Even though the staff is remote, there are plenty of opportunities to engage with colleagues and stay connected to Percona. Wages and benefits are great, and Percona offers the best work/life balance I've experienced.

Cons

Being remote can lead to a disconnect from coworkers, but Percona offers plenty of opportunities to stay connected to colleagues.

percona2019-02-28

"There are not enough good words...in all the languages they speak"

Former Employee - Senior MySQL Database Administrator in Carson City, NV

I worked at percona full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fast paced Cutting edge Top of class engineering Best in the industry This is quite simply the best company I have ever worked for. The collaboration between database engineers is absolutely incredible. These are among the very best MySQL DBAs in the world. I know that sounds like hyperbole, but work with them as a customer or colleague for any length of time and you will come to understand that these are the best of the best. If you want to work with the most screamingly bleeding edge topologies, if you are interested in working with the biggest, baddest hardware doing the most concurrent transactions possible...we are talking >20K/TPS real world transactions every day- not work bench generated load for blogs - this is where you need to work. When customers face the hardest, most complex MySQL issues imaginable, they come to Percona...for a reason. This is special forces for MySQL. If you can do it, you will be family for life.

Cons

Pay scale is behind the industry. Not far behind, but behind nonetheless.

Advice to Management

If you are not going to become a player in the cloud offering space, special attention will be needed to continue growth in the managed services side of the house. The PMM product needs proactive monitoring, standard deviation monitoring, HA and proxy support (full GUI integration with Orchestrator? e.g.). Not advice: you have created an environment and culture I admire and wish to emulate.

percona2019-02-20
  5. "Open Company"

Current Employee - Mysql Database Administrator in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at percona full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very nice in every aspect. A strong and open company, ready to listen and change in case employees point a better direction.

Cons

Outsourcing is complicated. There are some bad things but not related to the Company itself.

Advice to Management

Keep Going On!

percona2019-01-02
  6. "Yes Percona!"

I have been working at percona full-time

Pros

Flexible, creative and challenging. Well known in the osdb community. Friendly approachable teams. You will grow and become better at what you do by working here.

Cons

Not necessarily a con for me but being able to wfh is essential.

Advice to Management

Keep the great flexibility - it makes your staff happy :)

percona2018-12-04

"Thorough and Collaborative Hiring Process"

Current Employee - Intern Marketing

I have been working at percona part-time for less than a year

Pros

Although I’ve only been employed with Percona for a short duration of time, I’ve had pleasant and meaningful interactions with an assortment of employees. They’re bright, supportive, and proactive. However, I have to give a special mention to Jennifer Miller, Percona’s Talent Acquisition Specialist. Jennifer was extraordinarily resourceful and fully conversant with all aspects of the company and the position I applied for, including the nature of remote work and what it takes to be successful. She went the extra mile in her assistance during the hiring process, providing invaluable advice and guidance, which were not only applicable to the applied position, but my career path in general. It was evident she cared and was invested in my success, and that made all the difference. Personable and insightful, Jennifer is a wonderful representative of the company.

Cons

There are none to report of thus far.

percona2018-06-22

"Mediocre experience: Not great, not awful"

I worked at percona full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most of the people are nice enough. Work/life balance. Most workers work from home.

Cons

Some of the executives are/were not qualified for the roles they held. Because they don't take outside funding, and because most of their offerings are niche-y and commoditized, they struggled to grow at a meaningful pace. A lot of cliques when I was there.

percona2018-04-04

"Committed to the Open Source dream, making a reality day by day!"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at percona full-time for less than a year

Pros

Over the years I have experienced many different types of companies, from Mom and Pop shops to Fortune 100 corporate conglomerates. I've worked for people who stumbled over themselves to outdo each other in hard work and kindness and for people who could care less about the masses in their employ. Percona fits into former. I have experienced a level of "human-ness" that is unprecedented. One feels that every interaction, every idea, every hour worked means something tremendously important and you are given the resources and support to do what you need to do. The remote office concept was daunting at first, to be sure, but I found that everyone makes a real concerted effort to prevent you from feeling like an island. Trust me when I say, this is the place that you want to be!

Cons

I am not certain that I would consider this a con, but one should know that change is a daily constant here. You must prepare yourself for one heck of a ride as this company isn't afraid of trying new things and new technologies. Be ready for anything and ready to contribute!

Advice to Management

Know that your teams look up to you and are watching. Take a few minutes to really get to know those under your watchful eye. Be firm, stick to your guns, yes, but never forget that your workforce is entirely made up of human beings. Let that knowledge guide you as you work together to serve your customers and help Percona grow!

percona2017-12-15

"Best company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Director of Development Services in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at percona full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I cannot say enough good things about Percona. This has been the best work experience in my lifetime. I consider all of the members of the Executive Management Team mentors that have helped me not only be a better employee but also grow into better person. Along with the standard and expected set of good benefits, human resource support, and very bright and talented co-workers you would expect in a multi-national tech company, I have also made great friendships and gained a lot of insight into the proper ways to motivate people and accomplish goals without sacrificing quality of life. Percona is a strong values company that respects each persons contribution to the greater whole.

Cons

Remote work can be lonely and isolating for some. It is not the best career choice for everyone. Although, I could make a higher salary somewhere else, the lifestyle benefits make up for this.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Keep focusing on personal accountability, promoting good teamwork, and better communication and collaboration between departments.

percona2017-12-12