rentalcars.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ian Brown

Pros
  • Working with people from around the world makes for a really interesting work environment (in 7 reviews)

• The rate of growth means there are lots of opportunities to progress (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad communication between departments (in 4 reviews)

• The office in Fountain street is style over substance but this is being picky (in 3 reviews)

"Good and improving, still more to do."

I have been working at rentalcars.com (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, very fun place to be and work. People and Management are brilliant, they really know how to get the best out of you. Office and perks are really good, a lot better than what it used to be. Growing ambitious company with plenty of opportunities to progress.

Cons

Although perks, pay and benefits are getting better, there's still improvements to be made.

Advice to Management

Keep improving, keep asking staff what it is that they want and continue to keep delivering that.

2. "Brilliant Benefits & Work Environment"

I have been working at rentalcars.com full-time

Pros

Free breakfasts, lovely colorful office environment.
    The employees are great with so many people from different countries in one place.

Cons

Pay could be a little higher and the lifts take forever to get to and from the floor of work.

Advice to Management

Treat others as you would wish to be treated yourself. Listen to what your staff are telling you. They are on the frontline and know best what the customer needs.

Feb 19, 2017 – People Director

Hi and thanks for your review and rating, it really is appreciated. I am glad that you are enjoying the free breakfast and you are right the diversity of our colleagues makes this such an unusual and ... More

"Fast growing company, exciting tech"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at rentalcars.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced company, always challenging us to adapt and grow. At the forefront of technology. I've learnt Agile, Functional Programming, Scala, Spark, Hadoop, AWS, Docker.

Cons

Could do better on benefits, but it has improved a lot in the last 2 years and there is a commitment to keep improving benefits every year.

Feb 5, 2017 – People Director

Hi thanks for your review and rating, it really is appreciated. It's really great to hear about how you have developed your technical skills whilst at Rentalcars.com. There is some great stuff ... More

5. "decent working environment"

Former Employee - Inbound Customer Service Agent in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Inbound Customer Service Agent in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at rentalcars.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

nice working environment, excellent friendly ppl around. Excellent customer focused approach

Cons

low end wages, can be very stressful job for some workers, very relaxing for others. Depends on the department you are assigned. The same relaxed department is actually even getting more bonuses

Advice to Management

try to distribute workload..some departments are working a lot more than others.

6. "Good place to work"

Pros

People are friendly, and knowledgeable

Cons

Work life balance not greatest

Feb 8, 2017 – People Director

Hi and thanks for your review and rating. I'm not sure which part of the business you are in but I can say work life balance is being looked at across the business. Obviously this looks different in ... More

"Great place to work"

I have been working at rentalcars.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic offices
    Great Atmosphere
    Emphasis on career development

Cons

Salary is a little low compared to other opportunities

Advice to Management

More flexibility with working from home etc
    Salary to be more in line with other employers

Feb 5, 2017 – People Director

Hi and thank you for your review and rating, it's great to receive feedback such as this. No knowing which part of the business you are from, it is hard for me to comment in any detailed way but I ... More

8. "An open and honest assessment about a great place to start"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at rentalcars.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Being part of the world’s leading travel group: Priceline - Booking.com, Rentalcars.com, Priceline.com, Agoda.com, KAYAK and OpenTable

- Network creation, making friends and who knows find your other half (countless cases in-house)

- Multicultural casual environment and opportunity to refresh the foreign languages learnt in mid/high-school

- Amazing offices and parties, great central location, free breakfast, fruit, juices and coffee machine

- Priceline keynotes and Rentalcars quarterly presentation of results

- Open communication from leadership team and ability to have an open discussion with direct (I was lucky) and senior management

- New director brought some fresh air with new strategy heading the contact centre in the right direction

- New head of customer service division is an amazing person to work with, supporting agent's development and overall happiness with a sharp eye for improvement and detail

- The pleasure of being able to work with some great colleagues and managers

- Facebook at work is a powerful and friendly communication tool for company's development and relations between employees

- The company's values. "We love: Being Different, Getting It Done, Doing Stuff Together, Having Fun, Straight Talking"

Cons

- Stressful job, rotas don't allow stability. Some gradual changes for better are happening but slowly.

- Agent's are requested to take ownership of customer's issues but need to ask permission for pretty much everything, in order to fulfill the contact centre objective: helping the customers. Lack of trust on employees or ineffective control strategies?

- Although the lack of internal knowledge, formation and use of IT systems, some low level managers stick to the job title while others use their in-house time to empower themselves, instead of coach and empower their agents and subsequently the company's growth. No names on the table but the fact of only having experienced this with managers from UK is a strange and sad coincidence.

- Internal spam received via Outlook regarding non real time KPI's and motivational quotes without great impact.

- "Hot desks" and constantly changing team's seating areas (understandable but still a con), alongside with the dirtiness of some colleagues.

- Lack of follow up regarding internal applications that in some cases are completely ignored, even when a simple reply is chased. Ragged excuses show that our CV has not even been read. Really disappointing!

- Improvement ideas and solutions developed with great acceptance from colleagues, don't receive proper feedback neither follow-up from the adequate departments, even if they're supported with numbers (hours, £) that can improve the overall performance of internal operations. Why?

- High number of people with high education doing low level tasks with non-managed expectations, associated with an inexistent/unknown employees development strategy, generates demotivation and high turnaround.

Advice to Management

- Implement the internal CV (linkedin like), skills matrix diagram and internal development roadmap strategy.

- Map and standardize processes in order to avoid putting customers on hold and duality of criteria from different managers.

- Empower agents with sustainable good results, mind-set and qualifications to do some simple yet loaded with responsibility tasks actually performed by managers (coaching, reports, cancellations). This will lower the cost of some operations, increase employees morale and development, release more time to managers to coach their team members and perform management instead of administrative tasks.

- Implement overall systems improvements, quick radical changes (A/B tested first) and a better/clear talent retention strategy, to promote a sustainable continuous improvement strategy, instead of spending so many hours in coaching with a turnaround so big, bringing no ROI.

- T&C's, templates and website translations need to be looked into from top to bottom in order to avoid turning a simple query into a major dissatisfaction reason, and improve the company's image in some markets, particularly the new ones.

- The majority of new starters in the company are also new comers to Manchester or even UK. An ESN like welcoming and mentoring strategy is pretty much free and easy to implement (ask for some volunteers to try proving me wrong, some of them might even be former members of ESN during university). The talent acquisition numbers and glassdoor scores would certainly increase, as well the overall engagement and satisfaction of employees. Could this bring even more awards to our heavy awarded People Team?

- Last but not least, continue with the good work on internal development of operations that has been performed (or felt) since the end of the peak season, and that agents are gradually becoming aware of.

Feb 5, 2017 – People Director

Hi and Wow, what a thorough and well thought out review, I really do appreciate your honesty and the effort that you have gone to Thank you so much. I have to say that I pretty much agree with ... More

9. "Customer Service Advisor - Inbound"

I worked at rentalcars.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work colleagues, good office location. plenty of internal growth. Management are wrongly slated on here, Always on hand to help, Don't put you in a position to make you feel you are below them. Market leader. It's a good place to work, I won't sit here and call it bad, they have the values in place to keep growing. Do right by your staff!

Cons

Hours are unbelievable, You'll get one full weekend off in 4 weeks. so if you don't mind not seeing your kids at night and seeing your other half then this is the job for you. Work the english market and you'll be sat by yourself for 6 hours a day. Shame really, I hope it's resolved sooner than promised.

Advice to Management

Keep your word and change those hours, Give more weekends, Less late finishes, people beg for it, make it happen and continue your values.

Feb 19, 2017 – People Director

Hi and thank you for your feedback it is appreciated. I am glad that you found the Management team supportive and available and appreciate your positive points. With regards to the hours, this ... More

10. "Customer Service Advisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at rentalcars.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have no pros, I hated the people, the location, the managers, I hated absolutely everything about it. Hard work with little reward.

Cons

Work place is invested with SJW (social justice warriors) !! Be careful not to trigger any coworkers as company is working hard to be viewed as politically correct. I guess this is no place for family-loving conservatives.

Just imagine 1000+ emails being sent to your inbox on a daily basis - pure spamming.

Their selective promotion of the LGBT community was ridiculously biased and I and certainly others did not like this agenda being pushed towards us.

Managers are absolutely incapable and in their inexperienced teens! Senior managers like to act all powerful and authoritarian. You pretty much need to look a lot off *** to get anywhere in this call centre.

Advice to Management

Stop this favouritism towards certain colleagues just because they happen to party with you on certain days.

11. "Vile Workplace Bullying and Poor IT Security"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I worked at rentalcars.com full-time

Pros

There was good pay which I earned from the sales bonuses at a time when jobs were hard to get. The good pay is the main reason why I continued working for a company where so much bullying occurred.

Cons

While I worked at this company, I experienced some of the worst workplace bullying ever meted out on a human being. I was unjustifiably bullied by some of the members of management at this company. There is an major incident of workplace bullying which happened to me at this company which still seriously negatively affects my life today. I was also a victim of some very poor IT security at this company which is connected to this incident of workplace bullying. Because of the bullying which I experienced at this company, I have mental health problems. I have been taking doctor prescribed medication and I have been to counselling because of the bullying.
                                                      I am a passionate advocate for the prevention of workplace bullying because I was bullied at this company. While I was at this company, there was a time when I was told of by a manager for speaking out about the bullying. Workplace bullying has hurt so many people. It's not fair that I still have to suffer for crimes which were committed by other people that I worked with at this company. If you want to know more details about the devastatingly poor IT security and the bullying which happened to me at this company, I would advise you pay attention to the press in the coming months. The bullying which I experienced at this company is so heinous that I am anticipating that there will be a lot of TV, newspaper, radio and social media coverage in the months to come. I would not be surprised if the authorities from various agencies were to investigate the poor IT security and intense workplace bullying which was experienced at this company.
                                                      As a surviving victim of workplace bullying, I have taken it upon myself to make people aware about the seriousness of the long term problems which workplace bullying causes. Workplace bullying is something that needs to be dealt with effectively. Sweeping it under the rug is not the right solution. I recently wrote to this company in regards to the bullying and poor IT security which affected me and I am still waiting for a reply.

Advice to Management

Workplace bullying not only negatively affects the person being bullied. It can negatively affect those who are close to the victim of bullying such as their friends and family and it can even lead to suicide. I have stated this because I very strongly considered taking my own life because of the bullying which occurred at this company. As a result of the bullying which I experienced at this company please take note of this statement which I will continue stating to people:
                                                      "Bullying in the workplace is never ok. If you or someone you know is a victim of workplace bullying, there is help available."