rue21 Reviews in Warrendale, PA | Glassdoor

Warrendale, PA

1.9
Keith McDonough

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Employee discount, nice store manager (in 56 reviews)

• flexibility, good staff, fun to work at (in 23 reviews)

Cons

"Micromanaged with not much room for input"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warrendale, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warrendale, PA

I worked at rue21 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hardworking and generally friendly co-workers, good location

Cons

Extremely micromanaged, new ideas for innovation/improvement often overlooked, facilitate management's plans without the ability for individual input, fear based executive management style

Advice to Management

Since leaving the previous CEO and GMM have been removed. Advice to the incoming executive team is to allow the employees do the job they were hired to do. If you are seeking for someone to just facilitate the birds-eye view plans make that clear in the interview process. It did not seem to matter what the metrics were telling us. If it did not fit the executive team's plan we were not allowed to execute. This led to a high turnover rate with many employees feeling like their opinions based on sound figures was meaningless. It was a good experience in learning how not to run a company in any industry.

"Merchandise Coordinator"

Former Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in Warrendale, PA
    Former Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in Warrendale, PA

I worked at rue21 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Promote from within, 3 weeks of vacation your first year, Upper management is fairly transparent

Cons

Unfriendly work enviroment (people rarely say hi or even smile at each other in passing), terrible pay, no one seems to really know what they are doing

Advice to Management

Promote people instead of outsourcing positions and tools and wasting tons of money on freelance & special projects

3. "Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Warrendale, PA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Warrendale, PA

I worked at rue21 as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn and gain experience in a corporate retail setting.

Cons

Group intern project can be time consuming when you are trying to learn and do work for your department.

"I should have listened"

Former Employee - Information Technology Specialist in Warrendale, PA
    Former Employee - Information Technology Specialist in Warrendale, PA

I worked at rue21 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job experience for my resume, met a few helpful people, learned about retail which I've never been a part of.

Cons

My first month here should have been a big enough red flag to anyone in their right mind, but I wanted to give this my all. I saw power struggles, tons of petty arguments, a lot of heads hung low, and 3 people leave all within my first 30 days. Several of my co-workers warned me how things are run here, and I didn't want to necessarily be negative, but now I can see they were just trying to help. I saw a lot of negative reviews on this site specifically about IT, but I figured maybe they were just over-exaggerations - I was wrong.

I did my best to stay positive during my time here, but it was tough. My direct manager was a pretty good person, but the top IT leaders were horrible. Any good idea you could offer, was typically scoffed at or went on deaf ears. Anything positive you would do was never recognized, but even the simplest mistake was taken like you brought the infrastructure down. You were truly made to feel like the lost voice, and a lower being. I lost count of the number of people that left in my short time here, it was beyond depressing. The worst part, is I really didn't learn anything. I was promised training (both internally / externally), shadowing other IT teams & leaders, and the possibility of growth in my career - none of which I received. It's absolutely terrible that was sold to me and probably many others when interviewing yet all became empty promises. The only thing I really learned here is how NOT to treat your employees.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate your IT leaders. Think about your employees and not just yourself. The number of turnovers should be a direct reflection on how bad things need to be changed.

5. "Life in IT at rue21"

Former Employee - Operations Support Specialist in Warrendale, PA
    Former Employee - Operations Support Specialist in Warrendale, PA

I worked at rue21 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The salary and benefits were good. The company was growing rapidly and there seemed to always be an opportunity to advance.

Cons

The expectation for employees in IT was too much. The mentality was that you should eat, sleep, and breathe rue. This probably was very evident based on the high rate of turn over within the department.

Advice to Management

It would be helpful to promote a better work/life balance. Recognize that there is more to life than this company.

"Information Technology Department is a Disaster"

Current Employee - Information Technology in Warrendale, PA
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Warrendale, PA

I have been working at rue21 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free Parking
    Average to slightly above average benefits
    Fantastic Location
    Yearly Movie
    Decent co-workers

Cons

This is review is IT Department focused. Very archaic management style from upper management. They are the quintessential "managers" and not "leaders". They would rather toss a grenade over the wall or light a fire to see you jump/run, rather than lead and coach an individual. It's lazy management at best. Speaking of, some of the senior management in IT have absolutely no business carrying a management/director title. Some of these individuals are so under qualified, it's ridiculous. There are also too many mind games. We all see it, we all know it's happening to us, but there is nothing we can do as the one's playing them are those in senior management. No flex time, no work from home, punch clock hours despite being salaried (and don't you dare try to leave at 5:30pm or you will be demoted/reassigned/laid off/fired or otherwise treated so poorly you will dread walking through those doors each day. I know many people who have left rue21 lacking any self confidence due to the daily beatings.

Advice to Management

Rework IT Senior Management and fill in gaps as needed. There are certain members of IT Senior Management and Management so unqualified to do their jobs, it's any wonder they were put in those positions in the first place. Many others see it (including other Sr. Management), but nothing is ever done. Consider allowing "Work From Home" from time to time. Employee's are allowed to work at night or weekends from home when they have emergencies to deal with, so why can't they do the same during working hours? Treat employee's with respect and these same employee's will run through walls for you. The department has lost a lot of good, intelligent employee's over the past 1-2 years, let's not lose more.

7. "Fun!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warrendale, PA

I have been working at rue21 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun place to work. Promoted if you work hard and prove yourself. Can be challenging and demanding, but what good job isn't?

Cons

There isn't a lot of flexibility for corporate employees in terms of work hours. No work from home option. These perks would make a world of difference

Advice to Management

Trust your people and give them flexibility. This promotes productivity.

"Ecomm Photographer"

Former Employee - Ecomm Photographer in Warrendale, PA
    Former Employee - Ecomm Photographer in Warrendale, PA

I worked at rue21 (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being a photographer at rue21 is a great way to beef up your resume, and see first hand how corporate structures function.

Cons

This is a very political place to work, and it makes it difficult if not impossible to enjoy being a creative person. The job of Ecomm Photographer is extremely monotonous.

Advice to Management

Needs improvement on stress management and equal treatment of employees. Could also benefit from a brush up on gender discrimination in the workplace.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warrendale, PA

I have been working at rue21 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast pace company experiencing significant growth. Associates and managers at all levels are always willing to roll up their sleeves and do whatever it takes to get the job done. Employees seem to truly care about the company and each other and are not just collecting a paycheck. Strong and stable senior leadership team. Significant room for advancement both at the corporate office as well as in the field.

Cons

There really are not any cons that you wouldn't find at other companies of similar size in the same industry.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture and values that built the company as it continues to grow and expand. Continue investment in eCommerce.

"Very Tough Corporate Environment"

Former Employee - Information Technology in Warrendale, PA
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Warrendale, PA

I worked at rue21 full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good location (tough working downtown)
    Free Parking
    Relaxed dress code
    Fairly new building
    March Madness Tournament
    Free yearly movie

Cons

Low pay compared to other industries
    CIO expectation that you should be available 24/7/365 because you are in IT
    Tons of micromanagement in IT
    Severe lack of trust between management and employee's in IT
    Talk of empowering people, but it rarely happens. Decisions come from the top.
    Work/Life balance is out of whack. Not all IT Departments are run this way.
    For the most part, outdated IT environment, equipment, strategy
    Lots of turnover making for an ever changing "team"
    Mandatory functions that aren't listed as mandatory, but most definitely are mandatory.
    Poor choices for meeting times (8am, 12pm, 6pm aren't very good meeting times)
    8-5:30 is your normal workday. 8.5 hour days is very odd and not standard.
    No flexible hours in IT. If your workload is empty at 4:30pm...you will have to find twiddle your thumbs until 5:30 and still will be seen as "leaving early" by most IT management.

Advice to Management

If you want change, make change. Don't talk about it and never do anything. This has created too many empty promises.
    Treat employee's with respect. This goes far beyond saying "Hi" in the hallway. That should be standard interaction between one human being to another. Invest in them and care for them...it will show in their work ethic and dedication.
    Revisit your IT organizational structure. There are way too many employee's in positions that they are vastly under qualified for. This goes for regular employee's to managers to senior managers to associate directors.
    When hiring people, don't look for a deal all the time. Hire the right people and pay them the right salary. If you hire someone and "get a deal", they are likely looking for another job within the first few months that will pay them what they are worth. Selling on opportunity only creates distrust over time and an unhappy employee.

Showing 26 of 1,002 reviews