KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

rue21

Is this your company?

rue21

Add a Review

rue21 Employee Reviews about "sell fragrances"

Updated Oct 17, 2020

3.2
rue21 Chief Executive Officer  Bill Brand (no image)
Bill Brand
Pros
  • "Employee discount and being able to style/decorate store floor(in 89 reviews)

• "Fun work environment, relatively laid back(in 51 reviews)

• Cons
  • "You need to REALLY sell fragrances and the upper management can be tough to deal with in regards to frag sales(in 83 reviews)

• "Unprofessional upper management(in 81 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of rue21 and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "sell fragrances"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Great first job!

Oct 12, 2016 - Sales Associate in Alpine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Flexible hours -Co-workers are like family -Upbeat environment -Employee discount and ADD I'm a sixteen year old high school senior, and this is such a wonderful first job. My managers are chill and friendly, and the environment is always so upbeat! We have 25% off discounts on the whole entire store (excluding clearance items) at all times, and occasionally have an associate appreciation period where we have 50% off. Managers genuinely care about you and your personal life and are flexible with hours. I definitely recommend this job to those considering working at rue21 and if it's not for you, then that's okay! Retail isn't for everybody.

Cons

The only con I can think about this job is the emphasis on selling fragrances. I understand how it feels to be offered a fragrance you son't want to buy, and I don't like putting others in that position, however, rue21 is very persistent on selling these (to how district managers that employees are actively working and trying to boost sales). It's not as bad as some people make it out to be, but I guess it really depends and who you work for, as some managers are more strict than others.

2. 4.0

Best job for Me

Oct 17, 2020 - Rue21 in Merrillville, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Discount, nice coworkers, and expressing your style

Cons

Having to be repetitive and Forced to sell fragrances

3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Very fun, chill job...if it wasn’t for fragrances

Aug 3, 2020 - Sales Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

very chill and fun. dress code is very lax

Cons

required to sell fragrances that no one wants, and if you don’t sell them you get no hours. doesn’t matter how good you are at the job, fragrances are the only thing that matters.

4. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

GM and customers can be tough

Aug 5, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great environment, awesome discounts, decent starter pay

5. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

It's a good first retail experience

Jun 12, 2019 - Sales Associate in Waukegan, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get to learn how the retail environment is like. If you're familiar with it then it should be a breeze. You also get a 40% discount on items (not including fragrances or champion products). And usually about once a month they have a 60% off sale for associates with also 40% off fragrances.

Cons

You HAVE to sell fragrances, the managers will make sure that you are selling fragrances. If you don't sell a lot, you don't get as much hours. The fact that every time you ring someone up, you have to get a phone number and an email. I personally hate having to work on a weekend where there's a huge sale and the place is packed and I have to spend an extra 2 minutes with every customer because I need their email and phone number. My store put tape over the button on the screen where it says "bypass customer" to encourage you to get their information. I just hit escape on the keyboard and it goes through when it's busy busy. Customers will always get the signs confused. We have signs with a huge $5 text on it and on the top it will have "buy one get one" in a very small font. So you constantly have to tell them "it's BUY ONE get ONE $5". I do it at least once or twice when I work.

6. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great first job,

Dec 23, 2019 - Sales Associate in Salem, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

I opened the Salem center store and I loved the job itself. My managers were great and everyone was so nice. It's a great first job and they're very flexible with hours, especially if you're a student/

Cons

Management can be not so great. There can be cliques. They really push you to sell fragrances even though you're not paid comission.

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

It's good for your first job.

Aug 14, 2019 - Sales Associate in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

40% off regular price items

Cons

They base your schedule on how many fragrances you sell. They only schedule me once a week. How am I supposed to sell fragrances if I barely get put on the schedule?!?!

8. 3.0

Pros and cons working at rue 21

Oct 11, 2019 - Sales Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Discount, nice coworkers, and expressing your style

Cons

Forced to sell fragrances with no commission, managers doesn’t help out and make the employees do everything

9. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good place for a first job

Oct 11, 2019 - Sales Associate in Canton, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours, friendly environment, discounts

Cons

No commission except for management, and management is constantly on you to push and sell fragrances

10. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

¿The perfume store?

Jan 1, 2019 - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

You can get some cool co-workers Nice discount

Cons

Lazy management they expect everything to be done for them. Remember that discount I mentioned? It would be nice to use it on shirts that didn’t say something stupid on them. When closing, the store has to be absolutely PERFECT it’s extremly annoying. Because of the style, the clientele That is attracted is just dumb as a bag of rocks. Why perfume? Is this a perfume store? No it isn’t! We have no incentive to sell “fragrance “ it’s cheep and doesn’t last more than 2 hours on you! You get threatened for write ups and even fired if you don’t sell fragrance This is also based heavy on favoritism if they like you, you get hours of not your screwed? Hey remember that song ? Yeah me neither the music plays on loop like a repetitive track with about the same 10 songs is enough to make anybody go crazy. “Party in the week day ayyy Party on the week day ayyy “ “Coliseum coliseum “ Over and OVER AND OVER Who made these songs? Did you take your daughters iPod and think “this is a great idea” Back to fragrance , seriously? No COMMISION ? You would think you get something out of it but NO NOTHING AT ALL Did I meanyion no time and a half? That’s right ladies and gents the one company that’s to lazy to play their team for working on holidays for 12-13 hours a day decides not to give time and a half pay! They ask you do do so much that isn’t in the job description! “Free dress” my butt don’t you dare wear any cloths with a brand or label because”you can’t wear that” Why? You’re afraid people will leave your cheap cloths for better ones? The cloths are cheap, the material is cheap, it’s the rip off version of every brand it tries way to hard to be “trendy” who wears these things? Seriously? Long story short it’s TRASH

2 people found this review helpful