the STUDIO NYC Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 10, 2018

Found 11 reviews

3.5
Mary Nittolo
  1. "Amazing Women Owned and Run Company"

Former Employee - Executive Producer in Sarasota, FL

I worked at the STUDIO NYC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked at the STUDIO for over 10 years and it was honestly the best place I’ve ever worked. Mary, the owner is exacting and demanding, but very fair and frankly her adherence to high standards is why the company is around for almost 30 years. The company produces consistently great work. I just noticed that they are shortlisted once again against the work of major agencies- pretty amazing for a 20 person woman owned...

Cons

-A few too many self entitled millennials

Advice to Management

Be Strong and Stay the Path

the STUDIO NYC2018-05-10
  2. "Horrible place to work"

I have been working at the STUDIO NYC full-time

Pros

Company been around for a long time and used to produce nice work.

Cons

The owner/president has lost her mind, always in a bad mood spreading that negative energy all around, doesn't care about her Employees for the exception of her little sidekick. Every Animation project we produce is done in the same dreary, rutted style.

Advice to Management

Get a new shrink, the current one is giving very bad advice, treat your Employees like people.

the STUDIO NYC2018-04-16

"Great place that helps you learn"

Former Employee - Intern

I worked at the STUDIO NYC

Pros

My internship here was a really immersive and engaging. All projects were hands on, working with other interns and occasionally full time artists, with plenty of opportunities for creative input. Because the Studio is small, you have a chance to try your hand at various things, depending where your talents lie.

Cons

Internship wasn't paid. Fast turnaround makes for stressful hours and doesn't lend itself to quality work Interns didn't always get good opportunities to witness the non-pro bono work that was happening around them.

the STUDIO NYC2016-07-07

July 8, 2016

Thanks for this feedback- it's very helpful. The nature of our internship program is to take on a pro-bono project which the interns undertake. It allows for real client engagement- presentation skill development and requires a lot of grit and talent to complete the assignment in ...

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at the STUDIO NYC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Kind, talented, hard working people who truly care about the art and content they produce. Everyone is invested and will help you out whenever you need it.

Cons

Can be long hours when a job with a crazy deadline comes in, but that's the nature of the work. There is a lot of pride in finishing jobs on time, as it should be.

Advice to Management

Its a great place to work and the people here are some of the best around. Keep hiring people who care and it will continue to be a thriving business where you can make art for a living.

the STUDIO NYC2016-04-21

"Great environment for learning and trying new things"

I have been working at the STUDIO NYC full-time

Pros

It's a smaller studio which means you generally have a lot more input to the final look of the piece. They're pretty good about letting you try out stuff you've never done before for R&D. The location is great, right by Madison Square Park. Everyone is pretty nice and fun.

Cons

They could use some newer computers and a little more management staff.

"My second family"

Current Employee - Commercial Illustrator in New York, NY

I have been working at the STUDIO NYC for more than 10 years

Pros

Going on 20 twenty years working here and still loving the experience. There's always room and eagerness to learn new things and to perfect my craft and this places provides it, i feel blessed being part of the Studio team.

Cons

The Studio is in a nice central location yet my commute to work sucks, but that's by choice.

"Office Politics"

Former Employee - Freelance Producer in New York, NY

I worked at the STUDIO NYC for less than a year

Pros

Staff are friendly Plenty of food Office animals Good location Access to public transport

Cons

Disorganised management Office politics and factions Freelancers are separated from the rest of the staff A lot of yelling at staff by management

the STUDIO NYC2016-04-26

"Great place to start!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at the STUDIO NYC

Pros

Great place to get your feet wet; pay is decent (for still being in school) -great 3D team, really amazing people -wednesday drinks -everyones willing to take a break from their work to help you out (full time staff at least) -great location -pretty good about hours, didn't have to work overtime much (which they don't pay) -free coffee

Cons

-Mary isn't the friendliest, just know to approach her confidently and in an assertive manner -some of the guys can be creepy -wish the jobs were more fun, most of it was pharmaceutical at the time

Advice to Management

-there were 2 people at the time that everyone was extremely aware were sour apples, it brought the mood of everyone down unfortunately

the STUDIO NYC2016-02-09

June 14, 2016

Thanks for the review and truly sorry you felt some of the guys were creepy. There are certainly artists here that are eccentric and elusive but I don't think anyone here would have deliberatively meant to cause unease. It's a fairly chill culture. The work here varies as is evidenced ...

"Accountant"

Current Employee - Accountant in New York, NY

I have been working at the STUDIO NYC

Pros

Good people good benefits with nice work place

Cons

low pay and long hours

the STUDIO NYC2015-08-21

June 14, 2016

I'm certain this isn't meant to be associated the STUDIO- the unfortunate consequences of such a deliberatively inclusive name-- We have never had an accountant as an employee and only use outside firms.

10. "sales"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at the STUDIO NYC part-time for less than a year

Pros

This is a good company overall

Cons

Need to support employee development

the STUDIO NYC2013-01-22

June 14, 2016

I'm certain this isn't meant to be associated the STUDIO- the unfortunate consequences of such a deliberatively inclusive name-- We have never had a dedicated sales person as an employee.

Found 11 reviews