thePlatform Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
thePlatform GM, SVP Matt McConnell
Matt McConnell

Pros
Cons
  • Since it is a subsidiary of Comcast you have to deal with corporate issues, that can be a pain (in 4 reviews)

• The web portal to track vacation days only works in Internet Explorer (in 3 reviews)

1. "great place to work if you are qualified"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Very good work-life balance compared to other companies in this industry. Firm policy of only hiring the right people, and as a result we have a lot of very nice, smart, and experienced employees and no-one intolerable or scary.

Cons

Technology, media and entertainment are all high stress industries and we sit at their intersection. It's exciting and fun but it can get stressful. We also are often in situations where what worked before won't work now, so we have to keep on our toes and not be afraid to try something new. Our products are complicated so expect a long ramp-up.

Advice to Management

Need to find new ways to train less experienced employees to contribute quickly.

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Strong belief in work-life balance. Management genuinely concerned for employee well-being. Few politics. Great office space and location. Good products

Cons

Could take a more leadership role in the market they dominate.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to make the big decisions.

3. "Good work environment, great people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

The work is challenging, interesting and used by lots of customers and consumers.

Cons

The hiring bar is very high, so finding resources is challenging. There are always competing priorities.

Advice to Management

Make sure to continue investing in career growth and advancement for employees.

5. "quality people, quality products"

Current Employee - Director of Product Engineering in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director of Product Engineering in Seattle, WA

Pros

quality people, meaningful products, dynamic digital-video space

Cons

tight office space at times

Advice to Management

none

"the best people I have ever worked with"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Seattle, WA

Pros

I appreciate the open communication, collaboration and the learning environment. There isn't that sense of competition that a lot of organizations foster, it really is a team environment.
    The CEO is magnanimous, personable, and very smart. He is a business leader and a visionary. He trusts the employess and adds to the relaxed work environment by wearing his cool t-shirts and jeans.
    I also love the location and my commute!

Cons

We are a small, flat organization, so if you are the kind of person that climbing the corporate ladder is part of your world, then you may not fit in here. We don't a lot of senior management, and the managers we do have are also actual workers too. Nobody here just manages!

Advice to Management

Keep remembering the businees goals

7. "An Employer Of Endless Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

First and foremost, thePlatform is a fun place to work. The atmosphere is inviting, fun, dynamic, and energetic. The entire staff has stayed committed to ensuring that the "work hard, play hard" environment is maintained. Even though it is consistently growing, thePlatform feels like a small company when it comes to interoffice relationships and events.

Opportunities for growth at thePlatform are far from limited. Between a rapidly growing customer base, development of new services, and introduction of new products, opportunities for advancement and learning are numerous. Our continuously evolving products also keep the team up to date with the latest technologies, ensuring that our skills will never stagnate.

Lastly, the management at thePlatform is top notch. From the vision of the CEO, to the leadership of the executives, to the managers who handle the day to day tasks, thePlatform is filled with the right people. This is made more and more apparent as thePlatform continues to grow. As an employee base grows, it becomes harder and harder to ensure that everyone meets the high bar that has been established over the lifetime of the company. The fact that the management and recruitment team has been able to accomplish this is quite a feat.

Cons

Because of the consistent expansion, it sometimes can be difficult to stay up to speed on what each team within the company is working on. This can be a challenge if you are in a role that works with all the products and services that are offered.

Advice to Management

Continue to drive growth forward the way you have, and stay focused on what exactly it is that drives thePlatform forward.

"Fantastic company with great employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Working at thePlatform is honestly really enjoyable. The work is interesting, the company puts forth a lot of effort into keeping its employees happy, and there are great opportunities for advancement. The management's actually really good, too. People are quite reasonable and approachable and are generally willing to consider making changes to the way things are done if there's a good reason to do so.

Cons

Although the location is very convenient for taking the bus, if you don't live somewhere that has a convenient bus route to downtown Seattle near Benaroya Hall, things could be kind of tough. Parking is insanely expensive in that part of the city, so your best bet would be to find a park and ride somewhere and hope it doesn't fill up too often.

Advice to Management

You're doing a great job. Keep up what you're doing and we'll be able to keep growing. I'm looking forward to being able to see our products in use pretty much anywhere I watch videos on the Internet.

9. "A fun dynamic environment, with great people building great products for big customers."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at thePlatform full-time

Pros

We have a very strong team and work hard to keep it that way. We compete in a very dynamic market - online video - which is constantly evolving, so it doesn't get boring. We get to work with big, well known customers, so it's easy to tell mom and dad what our products do. We're growing into a global company, which is challenging but fun.

Cons

Our main product is powerful and complex (which our market needs) but it means that we have longer sales cycles, more demanding customers and a longer ramp time for getting employees up to speed than companies in other spaces. Growing naturally causes areas to get stretched thin which can put stress on the organization.

Advice to Management

Keep planning for growth, keep employees happy, stay in touch with the market.

10. "Challenging, Exciting and Fun Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at thePlatform full-time (More than a year)

Pros

thePlatform is comprised of a great community of people, and fosters a "come as you are" office culture. Employees are valued here, whether it's management working with you to find a role that best suits your interests and skill-set, or through the HR sponsored employee appreciation events. We have our hands in interesting and relevant technology, which provides us with challenging and exciting work, no matter what your role is here. I love the "work hard, play hard" ethic thePlatform has adopted. The benefits, fringe and otherwise, are better than I've had at any other company/ organization.

Cons

Although I think HR puts forth a strong effort to counter this, our office isn't very ethnically diverse.

11. "Fun and challenging place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at thePlatform full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

thePlatform still has a startup like culture with the added bonus of having the big company benefits that come from being a Comcast company. Since there is a high focus on product development, a consistent stream of new products and features help drive new business and keep the existing customer base happy. There is always an opportunity to work with new technologies and systems as there is still an effort to reinvent and improve wherever possible.

There are many great people to work and interact with, and most make an effort to be a part of the many company sponsored events like baseball outings, bowling, trivia nights, summer picnics and catered lunches which make for a fun and interactive culture. The open door policy also allows for direct interaction and conversations with executive team who encourage feedback and new ideas.

Cons

While the focus on product development makes for an exciting environment, it can often lead to a complicated set of system dependencies, tight deadlines, and choosing new features over the stability of a product. There is also a tendency to overcommit to customers in terms of timelines and cost which often leads to constantly changing priorities as well as emergency fixes and deployments that might otherwise have been avoided.

Quite often large initiatives get implemented in parallel without a good understanding of the resources needed to bring them to market in a way that's sustainable. This tends to leave them unstable, partially finished, or not profitable. This is likely a result of the constant push for the starting tomorrow's work while not leaving adequate resources to nicely finish up yesterday's work.

Advice to Management

Management should continue to encourage the fun culture and the open door policy, as well as consider doing fewer projects with more focused resources to enable more success overall.