thebigword Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
thebigword CEO Larry Gould
Larry Gould

Pros
  • There are some great people working at thebigword who are very supportive of their teams (in 8 reviews)

• Free fruit and coffee bus routes, local stray cat (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Huge void between lower level staff and upper management (in 12 reviews)

• Unstable, low pay and unpredictable demand (in 10 reviews)

1. "A Good Team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at thebigword full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company went through a transition a while back with some departments shifting work to the UK but since then significant investment and hiring has been happening in the US with a number of promotions. Its fairly stable and has as good mix of people. The company is also very good at hiring people of all ages, genders and backgrounds - i have worked in places that this is not the case.

Cons

Intense environment with lots of focus on growth gives you less time than you may like to settle in if you are a newcomer.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the team and supporting us, we want to succeed for you and ourselves.

"Well Organized, Good Training, High Expectations"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at thebigword full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The US business is well organized, sales and operations work well together. There's not much politics within the business and all managers seem to work in a cohesive way.

Cons

The US Management seems to give mid level management a lot of space but its still a very process driven environment which can hurt creativity when building client solutions.

Advice to Management

The US CEO has done a good Job in allowing mid level employees to succeed but needs to create more flexibility in the operational procedures.

Oct 3, 2016 – Executive Assistant to CEO and Global Marketing

Thank you for writing a review of thebigword.

"Vietnam"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at thebigword full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company provides free healthcare that is actually decent, 401K match at 6%, fairly pleasant co-workers in the New York office, the office is close to central park and subways.

Cons

Overall I would describe my experience at thebigword as “My Vietnam.” The horrors that I witnessed at this company will forever haunt me. My advice is to run for your life and never look back.

Mired in nepotism and the constant barrage of HR violations to say this workplace was hostile doesn’t even begin to scratch the surface. This was the poorest excuse for a “company” I have ever seen. I would describe this operation as more of a money laundering / tax shelter for the owners. Likewise, the UK based management team (which are all personal family friends of the owners) has not one clue how a modern day company should be operating.

Business ethics, conflicts of interest, and human resources violations were almost a daily occurrence. For example, the owners decided to fire their dedicated American HR employee and then promote their son to VP of Human Resources America. On that same day, he asked one of the African American employees what part of Africa he was from… Yes…that actually happened. He then proceeds to say that if he doesn’t like someone regardless of their performance he would fire them. The constant turnover was so bad that I stopped bothering to learn anyone’s name, as they would probably be fired for some personal vendetta within a month. The owners would call this “right-sizing” the company. This was a very popular term at thebigword.

The “compensation plan” used some sort of “voodoo mathematics” and was a moving target that was never possible to achieve. Moreover, there is no visibility or reporting software / tools to gauge actual sales numbers you are just told to “trust the company”. As commissions are paid out quarterly I was given a spreadsheet one day before the money was set to be dispersed and told I was not allowed to question the numbers as they were “correct”. Furthermore, there was no breakdown as to how the finance team arrived at the numbers.

Turnover was so constant at thebigword the clients were continually asking me how long until I quit, as I was their sixth account manager in two years. The sales team was never given the correct tools, technology, leadership, direction, goals, or resources to ever become successful.

Recently there was a new puppet management team put into place to give the illusion of change for the US sales team. This ultimately was the straw that broke the camels back for me as this was now my 3rd VP of sales in six months and I was tired of constantly having to worry about the security of my job coupled with never being compensated commensurate with my workload, education, and skill level.

Also, as a fun sidenote. There is no possibility for promotions at this company as all the VP level jobs are all held by the family members of the owners.

Advice to Management

If the company is to survive the owners need to remove themselves from the company and bring in a private equity management team to rebuild the company.

Oct 17, 2016 – Executive Assistant to CEO and Global Marketing

We’re really sorry to hear you had a bad experience while working for thebigword. We pride ourselves on having a culture that allows people to fulfil their true potential and we are sorry that ... More

"RUN AWAY"

I worked at thebigword full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are interested in working in a place that redefines the word nepotism and your sole purpose in this world is to enrich the family that owns thebigrevolingdoor, then look no further this is the place for you.

Cons

Everything. This place is a complete joke, run by bunch of clueless "family executives." Constant turnover ruins any chance of producing a consistent or quality product. US office is a 1/3 the size it was a little over a year ago.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves and bring in outside leadership to right the ship

Oct 3, 2016 – Executive Assistant to CEO and Global Marketing

Despite its size and geographical spread, thebigword remains a family business and we work hard to maintain that culture. Established for more than 25 years and we're one of the world’s leading ... More

"Great Experience"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Stamford, CT

I worked at thebigword full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, working environment, I was able to make advances in my career and learn invaluable lessons during my time with the company. The skills I gained here will be most beneficial in my next position. Everyone I worked with was very helpful and did their best to make my working experience here as enjoyable as possible.

Cons

There was some instability regarding my line manager for the first six months with the company. I had quite a few different managers (over 3) over that six month period. This made it difficult to really hit my stride as an employee.

Advice to Management

Stay on current trajectory. Keep treating your people well, and keep the lines of communication open.

"Getting paid by the company is like pulling out the tooth"

Current Employee - Interpreter/Translator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Interpreter/Translator in New York, NY

Pros

The company does not hire regularly and pays approximately 45 days after the service is rendered.... this is only if avoid making mistake by navigating very complicated electronic invoicing system.....Otherwise, expect to be paid about two-three months after you render the job.

Cons

The invoicing for the services is very complicated, confusing and time consuming. The translator has first devise a strong password, like the one is logging into CIA website.
    Once you eventually manage to log in , you will face a confusing website. Do you click on "the big word"? Or do you click into "the big word Global Communications LLC"? Or is it "Interpreting Services"? Or is it "the big word" again? If you manage to choose the right button, you have to navigate between: Ready to Invoice, Awaiting Invoice Authorization and Invoiced. Once you scan your time sheet and invoice you you think you are done. But this you have to wait for the invoice authorization that comes through email. If you miss that email and fail to re-invoice you loose another 30 days because your payment will fall in the other paying circle....
    Good luck with that!!!

Advice to Management

I spoke with the management and was awarded attentive listening and soothing pep-talk. The management at this point rather invests time into giving instructions to the employees on how to navigate the broken invoicing system instead of changing this lunacy.

"NY Office is an absolute Sham"

I worked at thebigword full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of hands on experience with ability to learn.

Cons

There is no core consistent plan for the NY office, mainly because the CEO's son implements new changes based on something hes read last week in the paper. The office has had a consistent staff turnover of 60-70% in the past two years, most of the staff have either left were terminated with the company. Ridiculously low-pay, long hours and low sense of job security. The firm places family over what is good for the company, which is a huge warning to any potential investors as it plans to go public in the future.

Advice to Management

Sell the company off to a group of people that will know what to do with it.

"Recruitment Associate"

Former Employee - Recruitment Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Recruitment Associate in New York, NY

I worked at thebigword full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I met some great friends here who I still keep in contact with. It was also cool working in a building located right next to the stock exchange. Walking around this area during lunch break was actually kind of cool, although the food in downtown Manhattan is expensive.

Cons

This is only a place to work in if you're out of college with no other work opportunities at that moment, and you need money/work experience. You will be exploited.

They control everything you do. They have cameras everywhere, and they can see all your computer activity. They underpay EVERYONE from HR, sales, marketing, and recruitment. They claim that they pay overtime, but they find ways to kick you out the moment you spend a minute extra at work. If you do happen to stay longer, you will get in trouble and don't expect them to pay you overtime. They have good lawyers, and they're very dirty. They underpay everyone. How do they get away with paying college graduates $24,000 a year with no room to ever get a raise? Not only that, but they underpay all the interpreters and translators they contract for jobs to the point where the company has gained a bad reputation among the linguist community. Also many people in the company create their own cliques in order to survive. If you want to last long here (for whatever reason), it is wise to join the clique that is close to the CEO's family. You'll recognize them because they're always hanging out with the CEO's son, Josh. If you join any other clique, expect to always be in danger. This is no place for a long term career. If you get a spot here, behave for about a few months, get the work experience, then start looking for other work as soon as possible.

Advice to Management

I would say that management should work on creating a team environment where everyone is paid at least market rates with room for growth, but they will not do that because this company's business model is underpaying everyone and exploiting people in desperate situations. Turnover rate is VERY high here, and the owner likes it this way because it allows his family to underpay everyone.

"A British Gong Show, in the U.S."

I worked at thebigword full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Water is an expensable item during business travel, which does not count against your per diem. No other pros to list.

Cons

Executive Management are supremely confident business schmucks, who have one goal - keep as much money "in the family" as possible.

They are arrogant enough to not listen to the advice of the employees doing the work for them, and quick to react to losing their clients by firing staff. The rate of turnover in both sales and operations is significantly higher than their competitors, and the opportunities for career growth are non-existent. Senior Management is made up of followers, who are afraid to speak out with ideas that do not align to the family goals.

Company goals and objectives are not socialized with the broader organization, and there seems to be no strategic plan. Most decisions are made on the fly and in a reactive fashion. Most times it feels like total chaos, with no plan other than dealing with the latest fire, which is typically of their own making.

After two years of development, their Translation Management System has still not been delivered, has fewer working features than their old system, and is far behind competitive solutions in the market.

There is no marketing plan to support increased sales; the formula for success is to scare the sales team to action with Performance Improvement Plans and threats to terminate. Leads are expected to be self-generated, or mined from the outdated, homegrown CRM solution. The overall sales culture is one of fear and intimidation, spear-headed by the Board and Executive Management.

Advice to Management

Advice is not worth giving. It would simply be ignored, as they think they are the only ones who can run the business. Totally unwilling to admit they are running their company into the ground. They will always find scapegoats to place the blame of their own failure on.

"HELL on EARTH ! Don´t work for this company ever!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at thebigword full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked here for almost 2 years and the only thing I can mention as a pro, was the day I went out from this truly horrible company which is led by a team of oafish and wannebe board people and owners.

Cons

The company owners are harassing, bullying and lying to it´s staff. Massively understaffed and as a result reveneus are decreasing constantly. People are put under extreme pressure. WORK for LESS.
    They suck you out and dont give anything on the people who work for them. No overtime payment!! Just unrealistic targets, yelling all day long, questionable financial practices and a lot of inconcistencies across the whole business. Clients are being ripped off wile contracts are being signed with client expectations that can not be met. A truly horrible place. Don´t ever consider working here.

Advice to Management

Fire all your board members and then go out of the company and have people leading it who understand how to deal with people and can manage a company. You´re not the center of the universe, just a group of useless wannabee managers. The competition will enjoy seeing this company go down.