thebigword Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
thebigword CEO Larry Gould
Larry Gould

Pros
Cons
  • Huge void between lower level staff and upper management (in 12 reviews)

• Thebigword are known in the market for their bad reputation with regards to staff turnover (in 11 reviews)

"Interpreter"

Current Freelancer - Interpreter in New York, NY
    Current Freelancer - Interpreter in New York, NY

I have been working at thebigword (More than a year)

Pros

I love the work.

Cons

It takes too long to get paid.

Advice to Management

Create a system that freelancers can get paid weekly, or every two weeks the most.

2. "Excellent Internship Opportunity focusing on Marketing"

Current Intern - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Intern - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at thebigword as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-Creative freedom
    -Direct assistance with staff
    -Rigorous problem solving
    -Marketing Focus

Cons

-Culture isn't as strong as i would like it to be

Advice to Management

Emphasizing culture

"Opportunity and a ton of room for growth!"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at thebigword full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Supported by management
    -Insane amount of room for growth within the organization
    -Ability to work with top Fortune 500 clients
    -Opportunity to travel extensively
    -Fun environment with cool colleagues for the most part
    -Great benefits (full benefits + 401K 100% matched)

Cons

-Communication between departments could be improved
    -Training should be strengthened

Advice to Management

Continue investing within the current employees that exist so that new employees feel fully supported when they are initially on boarded. Create an environment of full visibility so that employees feel you have their back. For the most part, this does happen - but if anything can be approved upon, this would be it.

"Honestly, I loved the people I worked with and learned a lot from this experience"

Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at thebigword as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Co-workers extremely friendly
    - Fun, environment, I felt like I fit in from day 1.
    - Learned a lot from interning here, it is an experience that I will remember moving forward.

Cons

- As an intern, I expected a little bit more direction at points. I probably could have learned more with more guidance, though the freedom did allow me to test new ideas.

Advice to Management

- Get more involved with interns! I love you guys, but interns need to be guided and given a general sense of what you'd like them to do. In the future, try to involve interns more with the projects that YOU'RE working on - it'll give them a better insight into their own roles.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at thebigword full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've only been here 6 months but I've noticed that there is a lot of opportunity within the company to succeed and move up if you're a hard-working motivated individual. I feel positively encouraged and invested in by upper management which is a HUGE change from my previous position at Transperfect. The company is working to constantly improve the overall culture and well-being of its employees, and while there are still changes to be made and everything cannot happen overnight, employee wellness and retention is at the top of the list for The Big Word. I also feel that it is a diverse, entrepreneurial environment where ones ideas can be heard and implemented. I like my colleagues and the fact that the company is committed to investing in its employees and improving.

Cons

I don't have too many negative things to say. Like any other company, there is the share of politics and needing to know how to deal with certain people but I think that happens anywhere. Also, while it's exciting to be somewhere that's truly an entrepreneurial environment it can also be frustrating when procedures and policies are constantly changing and everyone has a different idea of what it is. I think that things could be streamlined and made to be more efficient and more organized, and training is certainly one of the large areas of improvement needed. However, the company is also investing a lot of money in technology and training which I believe is a step in the right direction.

Advice to Management

I am a member of the management team and got a great opportunity within the company that I'm very excited about. It motivates me and makes me feel like I can really make a difference for my team/employees. My advice for managment would be to make people's roles and responsibilities clear and also to say that not everyone in management needs to be involved in everyone elses business. It slows down decision making and is frustrating when you find yourself repeating yourself 10 times over to different people who aren't even involved in your day to day. I think Management needs to continue to show employee appreciation but also make sure that they are present and visible to all employees and that people really promote the "WE" culture so that everyone feels that The Big Word is a great place to work, because it is.

"I love it here!"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at thebigword full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been employed at thebigword for 4.5 years. I truly feel the company has invested in my growth and development, making me the professional I am today. thebigword is committed to providing opportunities and advancement to all employees. Many employees get promoted quickly as thebigword provides the necessary tools for employees to be successful and excel in their careers. What I love most is the passion. Senior Management portray excitement and dedication, which trickles down to the rest of the organization. As we continue to grow, thebigword trusts me to take on more responsibilities. This allows me to learn new skills sets, enriches my job, and makes work fun! I honestly love coming into work everyday. thebigword is a family owned business and I feel apart of the family! thebigword feels like home.

Cons

No cons to report on.

"thebigword has strengthened its management and communications. Good place to work but long hours."

Current Employee - Operations in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Operations in New York, NY

Pros

thebigword is a fast growing company that is run by people who care about its success and over the last few months have worked hard to create a stable working environment. Opportunities for career growth are good and more recently the opportunity to stay in the same role and continue to be invested in has significantly improved.

Cons

There was a high turnover of staff although that has improved over the last couple of months with a more hands on management but the working hours are still long.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in staff and more off the job training. The increase in management has really helped and the longevity and experience of US management team needs to be carefully guarded.

"You have to work hard but there are great opportunities at thebigword"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Working for a family business like thebigword ensures that there will be great continuity and care taken over the business. The strategic direction of the company is clear and whilst I was there thebigword grew at 40% year on year and you don’t do that without been a solid organization. As a company they are very forward thinking and open minded and give the employees great freedom to succeed.

Cons

thebigword is an aggressive growth business and if you want an easy life then don’t go there. You will have to work very hard and get used to working with new technical tools on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to continue to develop the skill sets of all your employees, I have now left the language industry but its so fast moving and to keep growing and delivering whilst maintain a superior reputation you must keep training staff at all levels.

"Working at thebigword was an overall interesting and enjoying experience"

Former Employee - Project Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Director in New York, NY

Pros

Young and energetic staff make work fun. Motivational team building exercises promoted out team work.
    Overall, the Language service industry was very interesting and fun to work in. We worked with some fairly large companies and got to travel to meet with their representatives.
    As a Project Director, it was great to see the variety of projects that came in for translation and they always kept us busy.
    The office is located in the Financial District so the commute from almost anywhere in the tristate area was easy. And I got to tell people I work on Wall Street :)
    All in all, it was great to be a part of such a fast growing company because every job I worked on I felt like I was contributing to the further growth.

Cons

The commute to work is often easy but very crowded. There were many weeks where i'd put in over 40 hours of work but every position was doing this as the company was growing rapidly.

The only thing I personally couldn't get used to was the monthly pay check, but I hear that's customary in the UK which is where the company is from. It also made it easy to budget out my spending.

Advice to Management

I know you're very busy with promoting the growth of the company and don't often have to time to just chat with the staff, but once you're not as busy I think it would be a good idea.

"PC"

Pros

Great coworkers and management was supportive.

Cons

No room for growth.