tvsdesign Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Janet Simpson

1. "New Era with New Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at tvsdesign full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are great - A&ID firms are playgrounds for difficult personalities, but there are a lot of wonderful people here with a million ways to plug in (committees, networking, etc.)
    The new president is really taking charge of the negative things people have mentioned in previous reviews, and it's created a buzz. I feel like more people are excited about coming to work now because issues are being addressed more and more.

Cons

Still in a transitional stage with issues of hierarchy and bad communication being rampant throughout the firm. Upper management is spread really thin, and with some trust issues, control isn't readily divided to let middle management and younger people in the firm take the reigns.

Advice to Management

Find ways to encourage better communication and collaboration across levels and studios.

2. "A lot depends on manager and project team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at tvsdesign full-time (More than a year)

Pros

lots of room to take on responsibility

Cons

hierarchical, "put in your time" attitude can be suffocating at times

Advice to Management

Experience varied greatly depending on manager and project team. I had both a wonderful and inspiring manager and the opposite.

"Ptoject Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at tvsdesign full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Diverse markets; interesting projects; good staff. If you work with right person you can learn. Decent benefits but nothing out of the ordinary.

Cons

Low salary and bonuses below par for Atl large firms. ESOP has gone down almost every year reflecting how bad the firm is run. Bad leadership and arrogant greedy leaders. The brand has been ruined by the 2nd generation and there are no leaders in the 3rd generation who can right the ship. Staff works ling days and weekends to meet deadlines without pay or bonus that even begins to make up for it. Principals have favorites and are poor judge of people. No one knows anything about business development except interiors leader. They have been lazy resting on the past firm reputation.

Advice to Management

You've ruined what was once a great and respected firm.

"Practice Pro"

Current Employee - Practice Professional in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Practice Professional in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at tvsdesign (More than a year)

Pros

Exposure to high profile projects, nice view of the city from the 28th floor, a nice office to work in, and the occasional beer Friday.

Cons

long hours, weekends, unpaid overtime and minimal bonus.

5. "Great Place To Work ... In a Demanding Professional Services Industry!"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at tvsdesign (More than 8 years)

Pros

I love the project work we do and the people I work with... Company programs are very fair and salaries are competitive. Clients in this business are very demanding and it can wear you out. tvsdesign is a firm that cares about its employee and clients. Firm Leadership is very approachable, fair and honest and they listen and try to help. Everyone works hard and we also play hard and enjoy each other.
    I always tell my friends how lucky I was to have been hired by tvsdesign because we are a firm with a heart.

Cons

Demanding clients all over the world.

Advice to Management

Continue to understand and proactively encourage all employees to achieve work life balance.

6. "Practice Professional"

Former Employee - Practice Profession in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Practice Profession in Atlanta, GA

I worked at tvsdesign full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot, worked on really interesting projects around the world. Met a lot of good people that I have stayed in contact with.

Cons

There is a culture of overworking in certain studios. They also have issues with telling clients no which means that if you are low on the totem pole you will get screwed.

7. "Designer"

Current Employee - Designer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Designer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at tvsdesign full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Notable project experience, excellent mentors.

Cons

No work life balance.

"Good People - Poor Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Strong, international industry leader. Awesome projects. Cool people. Talented designers. Nice office and location.

Cons

Management is very old school, hierarchical; Too many managers; Unless you are one of the chosen few, be prepared to not have a voice; Limited continuing education ops and career advancement; Tech could use some work; Long hours; Lots of negativity behind each others backs.

Advice to Management

Give everyone the chance to be heard; Support growth; Reward based on merit

9. "Associate"

Current Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at tvsdesign (More than 5 years)

Pros

- opportunities for leadership in various competitive international segments

Cons

- difficult industry to stay on the front edge of technology, etc. so the longer phases of projects can make it difficult to gain quick spherical experience depending on segment and level

"Love the people - hate the workplace."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at tvsdesign full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people make this firm enjoyable, and there's a ton of young, energetic talent coming in. Lots of opportunities for socializing/networking inside the firm. Everyone is professional and friendly. The chance to work on very large, impressive projects in a variety of segments is enticing. Studios are run more like small, individual offices, making for a good sense of community.

Cons

The firm has gone from top-heavy to extremely bottom-heavy in the past year. Mid-level leadership is evaporating, leaving interns and juniors to do the heavy lifting. Upper management is not in touch with the needs of this workforce, leading to difficulty obtaining the tools and means necessary to get the job done (i.e. Principles all get iPads, whereas interns have to fight to use a Photoshop license or a rendering machine.) It is no secret that most employees are grossly under-compensated, as there are no bonuses or overtime paid. This is openly (and frequently) complained about among coworkers. The stock program is only relevant to old-timers who are ready to retire and will probably not benefit new employees as much as a 401k match. Experiences vary dramatically from studio to studio, and this hurts the firm's overall reputation.

Advice to Management

Technology is a money pit, but our profession relies heavily on it - invest more proportionally and strategically on the tools, people, and resources needed to support 100+ designers. Be more attuned to the needs/desires of the upcoming workforce - millennials are not accepting the status quo. Don't rationalize below-par compensation rates - reward your employees for the long hours and dedication they put into their work. Otherwise, you will see (and are seeing) them leave for better opportunities.