uShip Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 72 reviews

3.5
uShip CEO Kris Lamb
Kris Lamb
Pros
  • "Free lunch and dogs are welcome(in 14 reviews)

• "I started at uShip when the company was about 75 people(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Because uShip is an older tech company, sometimes the limitations of the tech stack can be frustrating(in 10 reviews)

• "Can have a very "frat house" feel(in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great people working together to disrupt the transportation industry"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at uShip full-time

Pros

*This company lives by its core values - we pride ourselves in growing each other, making our products better and truly making the lives of our customers better. *Working with smart, driven people who care. This is not a place where people coast, it's a place where you can make your career and grow yourself personally and professionally. I really like the leadership training courses and availability of LinkedIn... Learning tools. *The office space is new, easy parking, close to downtown with great access to the hike and bike trail. Also, there is a great back patio. It's easy to work in this office setting. *The employee benefits are great - free lunches, snacks and Friday breakfast, along with all of the Waterloo you could ever want! I also appreciate the monthly wellness benefit, onsite Yoga classes and all of the community giving opportunities that the company offers.

Cons

*Because uShip is an older tech company, sometimes the limitations of the tech stack can be frustrating. Though, there has been massive positive change in this area and things are really getting better.

Advice to Management

Keep living by the core values and holding employees to a higher bar than yesterday. The momentum is strong and it's an exciting time to be a uShipper.

uShip2019-05-13
  2. "Awesome workplace"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at uShip full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hard working people, fun work environment, very willing to work with their employees to reach their goals.

Cons

Pay could be a little bit more competitive

uShip2019-08-05
  3. "Poor leadership, high turnover"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at uShip full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

"Open" vacation policy limited to 3 weeks Free meals are great, but they feel the need to warn everyone on a Slack channel when the health inspector arrives.

Cons

There has been a high turnover of employees, including the CEO. This appears to have led them give promotions to those who are not fit to be in leading positions in the engineering department. I have witnessed instances of the engineers being blamed for poor leadership. They also have lower coding standards compared to other places, even from the "senior" engineers. This is not a place to learn from the best.

uShip2019-09-21

"Neverland"

Former Employee - N/A in Austin, TX

I worked at uShip full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a great place for someone who wants to transition into the world of tech. I've witnessed many acts of kindness here between employer and employees, which has made it difficult to post an honest review. But kindness doesn't hold a candle to empowerment as far as long term career advantages go, and uShip fails to empower. This is a great place to marinate for a while if you like a social, party centric... workplace environment with classic startup perks like free lunch and a dog friendly office. If you're looking for a place to just sit back and be content, uShip could be perfect for you. It's like Neverland. Their Halloween parties are great, their office is beautiful, and they have snacks for days.

Cons

uShip fails to compare to other tech companies in the Austin area as far as growth, rewarding work, salary, and perks of any real value go. The company is old school in that it's high ego, and job titles can block game changing ideas from getting to the top. Due to a lack of interest in dedicating resources toward market research and competitive analysis, the company is unfortunately not a leader in it's space. The... culture creates an environment that rewards those who are driven by drinking games and pub crawls above those who are driven by hard work and innovation. It's strange, really. And I didn't realize how strange it was until I left. Pro tip to anyone looking to join uShip: Ask yourself where you want to be in your career, and what type of work environment is going to help you get there. Pro tip to anyone looking to leave uShip: Do some research and realize your true worth before you mention your salary to a future employer. Chances are that it could (and should) double.

Advice to Management

I'm not really sure who's in management anymore. I heard they just lost another CEO. To whoever is still there, I'd recommend that you kill the egos and start getting innovative to do what you can to save the company. There are some great people who still work there, and if you empower them to be the best they can be, you might just be able to turn the ship around.

uShip2019-08-09

"toxic environment"

Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at uShip full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You may have a good chance of getting promoted to a role you don't qualify for if you play your cards right.

Cons

They recently promoted an engineer to a manager and he turned out to be one of the most incompetent people I have worked with for various reasons. It would be difficult to respect a company with such a low bar for management positions.

uShip2019-08-11
  6. "Still in love"

I have been working at uShip full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Results oriented Great people Smart people Motivated people Caring people Flexibility, good work life balance (I have kids so this is wonderful) 12 weeks 100% paid maternity leave Open PTO Community focused company events Dogs

Cons

Some people's dogs, LOL Location (I'm a northy, but the flexibility really helps to alleviate)

Advice to Management

Keep up the momentum! Great job enforcing core values, allowing some attrition, and managing out negative grumps or those resistant to change. Love the swift action being taken to squash behavior that does not align with our values. Glad to see a Core Values team and how seamlessly and effortlessly many came together to support our DEI causes. Love the direction we're going in terms of getting real with our... technology and making smarter choices for the business and less about emotion. Love the new service offerings in e-commerce and the opportunities those open up for employees. Love the fresh changes in leadership and the commitment to support. I've been here a while and have seen many ups and downs, I love this place with all of my heart and am so happy to see a pretty steep upswing of momentum and success coming. Things are feeling good :)

uShip2019-05-01

"OK place to work after college"

Current Employee - Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at uShip full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free lunch and dogs are welcome

Cons

It's a Frat House and I want more money not snacks

uShip2019-05-15

"Quickly moving in the right direction with all the opportunity in the world"

I have been working at uShip full-time

Pros

*We work hard to make this a place in which everyone wants to be and no one wants to leave *We hire, promote, and fire by our core values *The world is your oyster here - internal growth opportunities are plentiful *Employees are able to operate with autonomy *We truly care about diversity, equity, and inclusion and we have programs in place to keep us caring about them *It's a fast-paced, ever changing... environment, but we've recovered from the dreaded Shiny Object Syndrome *Even though there's always something to do, we're able to maintain a good work/life balance *The puppies, free chef-cooked lunches, events, and cool office space don't hurt either!

Cons

*Just like other tech companies, we have SO much to do and we're resource constrained *We might be too fast-paced for some

Advice to Management

Continue to maintain focus, hire stellar leaders, and listen to the people with boots on the ground

uShip2019-03-06

"Grit in my eye"

I worked at uShip full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some people care about the work they do. Dogs. Got to go home at the end of the day.

Cons

Culture of character is nonexistent here. Managers make ignorant comments about your mental health. Littlefinger, Varys, et. al. in engineering spend most of the day deciding who to throw under the bus and blame for their failures. Shame there’s only one throne. Too much hiring and/or promoting unqualified buddies, pals, bros, and even plain old friends. I hear Peter Principle is looking for work if you... need to add to your management staff.

Advice to Management

Barnacles, drift gently into the deep. Clinging to the hull since a ship was built doesn’t magically imbue you with navigational skills, and it shows. You have been remiss in creating a culture where women have a place in engineering, and it is apparent in the spate of women leaving and the gross bro behavior in that department. You can either write it off as "hysteria" or you can acknowledge your part in... creating this hostile environment. You love to gush about the perks at uShip. You should take a tour of companies around town and see what they offer to their employees. It would leave you silent and embarrassed. You’re an overgrown high school. I could go on, but I gotta motor if I wanna be ready for that party tonight.

uShip2019-01-29

"Member Support Specialist"

I worked at uShip full-time

Pros

good starting salary catered lunches dog friendly trainer is patient yet constructive

Cons

sales team ego extreme lack of feedback on performance unfeeling HR

uShip2019-01-10