uShip Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
uShip CEO Kris Lamb
Kris Lamb
  1. Featured Review

"Great people working together to disrupt the transportation industry"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at uShip full-time

Pros

*This company lives by its core values - we pride ourselves in growing each other, making our products better and truly making the lives of our customers better. *Working with smart, driven people who care. This is not a place where people coast, it's a place where you can make your career and grow yourself personally and professionally. I really like the leadership training courses and availability of LinkedIn... Learning tools. *The office space is new, easy parking, close to downtown with great access to the hike and bike trail. Also, there is a great back patio. It's easy to work in this office setting. *The employee benefits are great - free lunches, snacks and Friday breakfast, along with all of the Waterloo you could ever want! I also appreciate the monthly wellness benefit, onsite Yoga classes and all of the community giving opportunities that the company offers.

Cons

*Because uShip is an older tech company, sometimes the limitations of the tech stack can be frustrating. Though, there has been massive positive change in this area and things are really getting better.

Advice to Management

Keep living by the core values and holding employees to a higher bar than yesterday. The momentum is strong and it's an exciting time to be a uShipper.

uShip2019-05-13
  2. "Awesome workplace"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at uShip full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hard working people, fun work environment, very willing to work with their employees to reach their goals.

Cons

Pay could be a little bit more competitive

uShip2019-08-05
  3. "Still in love"

I have been working at uShip full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Results oriented Great people Smart people Motivated people Caring people Flexibility, good work life balance (I have kids so this is wonderful) 12 weeks 100% paid maternity leave Open PTO Community focused company events Dogs

Cons

Some people's dogs, LOL Location (I'm a northy, but the flexibility really helps to alleviate)

Advice to Management

Keep up the momentum! Great job enforcing core values, allowing some attrition, and managing out negative grumps or those resistant to change. Love the swift action being taken to squash behavior that does not align with our values. Glad to see a Core Values team and how seamlessly and effortlessly many came together to support our DEI causes. Love the direction we're going in terms of getting real with our... technology and making smarter choices for the business and less about emotion. Love the new service offerings in e-commerce and the opportunities those open up for employees. Love the fresh changes in leadership and the commitment to support. I've been here a while and have seen many ups and downs, I love this place with all of my heart and am so happy to see a pretty steep upswing of momentum and success coming. Things are feeling good :)

uShip2019-05-01

"Quickly moving in the right direction with all the opportunity in the world"

I have been working at uShip full-time

Pros

*We work hard to make this a place in which everyone wants to be and no one wants to leave *We hire, promote, and fire by our core values *The world is your oyster here - internal growth opportunities are plentiful *Employees are able to operate with autonomy *We truly care about diversity, equity, and inclusion and we have programs in place to keep us caring about them *It's a fast-paced, ever changing... environment, but we've recovered from the dreaded Shiny Object Syndrome *Even though there's always something to do, we're able to maintain a good work/life balance *The puppies, free chef-cooked lunches, events, and cool office space don't hurt either!

Cons

*Just like other tech companies, we have SO much to do and we're resource constrained *We might be too fast-paced for some

Advice to Management

Continue to maintain focus, hire stellar leaders, and listen to the people with boots on the ground

uShip2019-03-06
  5. "Great place to learn and have fun."

Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at uShip full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have fun every day I go into work, and constantly feel like I'm learning and growing. Every dev on the team has a passion for programming, and the company is constantly helping employees learn. Free lunches and snacks are great. Dogs all over the office. Awesome building to work in, and desk setups.

Cons

Some teams have more engaging projects than others, but the teams shift around near annually to keep things fresh.

uShip2018-04-10
  6. "Highly recommended start-up!"

I worked at uShip full-time

Pros

Dog friendly, free lunch, great people!

Cons

None- I loved my time at uShip!

uShip2018-02-03
  7. "Great Company to work for that is finally maturing"

I worked at uShip full-time

Pros

-Great company culture -Finally taking steps to evolve into a more mature company with clear vision

Cons

-Product roadmap has seen delays

uShip2017-07-26

"Best Place I've Ever Worked"

Member Support Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at uShip for more than a year

Pros

Freedom to do your work the way you work best. Very collaborative, relaxed, group minded organization.

Cons

Make me too used to being responsible for my own motivation. Also, what will I do if I have to go back to buying my own lunches?

uShip2017-07-24

"Best Place I've Ever Worked"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at uShip full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Learning opportunities are huge - People care about software quality - Company is adopting new libraries and frameworks - Coworkers are nice - Lots of social events

Cons

- Can have a very "frat house" feel - Some coworkers don't pull their weight - Middle management structure is strange - Managers are starting to own planning and processes that used to be at the team's discretion

Advice to Management

Re-think your middle management structure. Trust your engineers, PMs, and scrum masters. There are very talented people at uShip who would be a huge asset on their product teams if given technical freedom and process authority to create their products.

uShip2017-05-08
  10. "I think this is the best place to work in Austin."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at uShip full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I love coming to work every day. Smart people and good lunches. My boss cares about my career growth. I would highly recommend.

Cons

Work/life balance can be difficult depending on your position.

uShip2017-05-04