uShip Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 71 reviews

3.5
uShip CEO Kris Lamb
Kris Lamb

"Best Place I've Ever Worked"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at uShip full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Learning opportunities are huge - People care about software quality - Company is adopting new libraries and frameworks - Coworkers are nice - Lots of social events

Cons

- Can have a very "frat house" feel - Some coworkers don't pull their weight - Middle management structure is strange - Managers are starting to own planning and processes that used to be at the team's discretion

Advice to Management

Re-think your middle management structure. Trust your engineers, PMs, and scrum masters. There are very talented people at uShip who would be a huge asset on their product teams if given technical freedom and process authority to create their products.

uShip2017-05-08
  2. "I think this is the best place to work in Austin."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at uShip full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I love coming to work every day. Smart people and good lunches. My boss cares about my career growth. I would highly recommend.

Cons

Work/life balance can be difficult depending on your position.

uShip2017-05-04

"Growing pains with transition from start-up to established company"

I have been working at uShip full-time

Pros

Relaxed environment. Co-workers enjoy hanging out with each other. Smart people.

Cons

The company's goals and focus changes from year-to-year. There is not a consistent long term plan. Also, original fun culture is not sustainable as the company gets bigger.

Advice to Management

With the new dev leadership, there is a trend for more micro-managing. The leadership needs to trust there developers more.

uShip2017-04-23

"Great place to work for college kids"

Current Employee - Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at uShip full-time for less than a year

Pros

Relaxed environment, dog friendly, free food

Cons

Very immature crowd, college kids, not alot of people with experience

Advice to Management

Stop saying your a start up, so you don't have to pay people with actual experience their worth

uShip2016-12-23
  5. "Awesome company to be a part of."

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Austin, TX

I have been working at uShip full-time

Pros

Management has made a lot of changes and has done a great job at taking care of their employees and their customers. Coming from a much larger company to uShip, it's great that despite the growth there is still a work/life balance and an overall family atmosphere. Some of the core values I see here are honesty, hard work and having a positive attitude. Employees who display these are the ones who will go far here.

Cons

No company is perfect and uShip is not immune to growing pains. It's not a bad problem but simply one all rapidly growing companies faces.

uShip2016-12-13

"Sales is a complete waste of time"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at uShip full-time for more than a year

Pros

First Fridays, free lunch and casual attire.

Cons

One of the lowest paying sales jobs in Austin selling a horrible product. When this issue was brought up to management it was ignored but then they act shocked when people leave for better sales roles. If you want to be micromanaged and not respected then this is the perfect department for you. There are shady things going on constantly and then handled in an even more shady way by HR. There is absolutely no room... for growth despite implementing a makeshift bandaid "promotion track". The environment is extremely toxic and you'll leave work miserable daily. There are daily meetings that are an absolute joke and complete waste of time. All it is is the managers on a soapbox talking to hear themselves speak and demean the team. They'll also hire anyone with a pulse because turnover is so bad. So be prepared to be frustrated working with people who had no business getting hired in the first place. When you leave uShip you will feel like you have completely wasted your time and learned nothing all while having been beaten down by management.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to listen to your employees. Some people in management roles are ruining the culture that uShip prides itself on. Don't focus so much on specific departments and not others. It makes for isolation and departments feeling unvalued.

uShip2016-12-05

"Great Place to work"

Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at uShip for more than a year

Pros

Loved it! Great culture and loved free lunches!

Cons

Management in Sales department was terrible

uShip2016-11-05

"Great Place to Be!"

I have been working at uShip

Pros

Lots of growth. Commitment to enhancing the product will accelerate all aspects of the company. Strong Sr. Management has lead the charge to make this a great company both financially and culturally. The job perks are amazing. The new office will set this company up for success for years to come.

Cons

Some departments are great, some have their proverbial head stuck up in places where they can't see or hear their employee's complaints. It makes people's experience very different when talking about their overall happiness. However the important departments are the ones that are happy, and I would recommend anybody joining as everything is trending up.

Advice to Management

Promote and keep the good people, weed out the cancerous upper level management that stifles potential.

uShip2016-10-12

"Sales"

I have been working at uShip

Pros

Cool company and (majority) great coworkers

Cons

Focusing too hard on being a "cool company." I don't want to see my managers and directors drunk when I could know that work is being done to grow our company.

Advice to Management

In all of these hands on and theatrical meetings, break it down and actually speak to your teams and not at them. See how their team is doing. Learn from them how to make the product better.

uShip2016-10-11

"Awesome culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, TX

I worked at uShip full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture is fun and full of weekly/monthly activities. It's largely a young office and energetic. It's located in the heart of downtown Austin. Oh, and you can bring your dogs to work.

Cons

A lack of appreciation for some employees. Some questionable things go on in and out of the office, but there seems to be no real consequences for it. It's swept under the rug because they 'work hard, play hard.'

uShip2016-10-18