uShip Reviews | Glassdoor

Kris Lamb

"Best Place to Work!"

in Austin, TX

I have been working at uShip for more than 3 years

Pros

- Challenging work on a growing/changing product - Very open and supportive work environment with flexible hours, open PTO, lots of perks. - Dog-friendly offices - Fair pay, 401(k), good medical and dental - Great work/life balance

Cons

- Being in two buildings hurts communications between teams and the Congress building is old and broken (but the new building looks awesome and is only months away!) - Hiring process is incredibly drawn out sometimes and we could really use replacements faster.

Advice to Management

- Don't forget core, our customers really need some of the planned upgrades sooner rather than later.

uShip2016-09-12
  2. "Positive Environment, Amazing Growth"

I have been working at uShip

Pros

-Incredible culture that invests a lot in its employees -Free weekly yoga class -Lots of learning opportunities -Laidback, flexible environment -HR and management that value the wellbeing of their employees

Cons

-Maybe could work out better corporate perks around town

Advice to Management

Keep it up! There have been so many positive changes in the past few years that have led to impressive growth and improved morale.

uShip2016-08-03

"Very Fun Company!"

Development Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at uShip for less than a year

Pros

You're directly a part of a team as an intern; it's basically like you're a part of the full-time staff. They're sensitive to how much you do know, though, so you aren't thrown into the deep end. Your team is there to help you. Hours are flexible - as an intern, I just needed to meet my 39 hours, and be there for meetings, but could otherwise come or leave as early as I wanted to. Catered lunch - this was a con... for me because I'm a picky eater, but seemed great for everyone else Agile development - Really nice, organized development structure, if a bit slow Lots of fun outings with the entire company - it's a nice way to get to know others in the company and have a day to just relax

Cons

Company was split into 2 buildings - the original building could no longer hold the engineering team so they're a few blocks away. There seemed to be high turnover - while a lot of faces had apparently been around for years, it seemed like a lot of them were leaving too. Low Salary

uShip2016-05-18

"Great work place! Evolving company."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at uShip full-time for more than a year

Pros

It has been inspiring and empowering to be involved in the growth of a promising company. Through it all, the positive culture has remained an important focus. Wonderful coworkers, excellent benefits, and fun extras make this a great place to come to work every day.

Cons

The company is still relatively young, so salaries are on the lower end of the scale. As we continue to mature, I expect this will change.

Advice to Management

Continue to make great hiring decisions. Don't spread management too thin. Recognize talented associates who may be enthusiastic about taking on new projects to assist in lightening the load.

uShip2016-04-21
  5. "Awesome Company"

Former Employee - Fraud Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at uShip full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great perks such as full time chefs cooking breakfast and lunch. A pantry that rivals that of the isles of HEB. Little scooters to get around the office. I worked at the old office on Red River and we had open cubes and the food downstairs. The second floor was a chill out game area with shuffle board, Xbox, PS3, guitar area with amp, ping pong table that turned into a beer pong table on Fridays when uShip would... order kegs in. Getting tipsy at work was never so fun! Management was good. Teammates were on point as well. It was a baby startup at the time so everyone was on the same page and had the same goal - grow the business but don't lose the family oriented feeling Not sure how they are now but I'd assume the same.

Cons

I was a Temp worker. I was only there 1.5months. But in the time I was there, I wasn't too keen that my boss was not more interactive in our team. But who am I to say. I was there a month. I wish my contract had run longer - I had potential there.

Advice to Management

None

uShip2016-04-17

"Great Company To Work For With Plenty of Room To Grow"

Current Employee - Software Developer II in Austin, TX

I have been working at uShip full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free lunches, doing things as a company on the first Friday of every month, Nerds Rock SXSW Party, Casual Dress

Cons

Office space is tight as we are growing and waiting on our new building to be ready for us to move into.

Advice to Management

At this point in time I feel that management has really synced up on their missions and goals and it's evident through the growth and drive of the company.

uShip2016-03-16

"fantastic place to work, typical young company problems"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at uShip full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The day-to-day experience of working at uShip is wonderful, and the work-life balance is beyond reproach. As of late 2015 management seems intent on iterating on a small number of critical projects. Time will tell if that is a lasting change, but so far the focus is welcome, and makes daily work more rewarding and less arbitrary.

Cons

The company's direction was vague in the past, projects seemed haphazard, and real iteration on products happened rarely. But management changes during 2015 (both attitude and personnel) seem to have refocused the company on streamlining and polishing the business. Having the company split between two offices endangers the company's culture and makes building and maintaining rapport with an ever-growing staff... difficult.

Advice to Management

Your employees want the opportunity to iterate and deliver great, polished work way more than they want free beer.

uShip2016-01-19

"Real experience"

Software Developer Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at uShip for less than a year

Pros

As an intern, you're integrated into the dev teams and actually work on REAL projects for the website. I guarantee that you won't finish the summer without being able to point at at least 5 different aspects across different main features of the site and say "I made that."

Cons

Some Fridays you don't really have any work to do (everybody kinda shuts down after lunch), but then again you don't really want to have to deal with the possibility of bringing down the website after pushing up an erroneous changeset. The only other kinda downer is the low salary.

Advice to Management

My suggestion would be to possibly not spend too much time in sprint planning and/or review. I feel like a little too much of our work time was consumed by this.

uShip2015-10-14

"The Aging Startup in the Austin Scene"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at uShip full-time

Pros

Location along with a handful of good and hardworking employees. Also, there are always employment positions available, mostly in sales.

Cons

Recent high-turnover caused by poor leadership and lack of product vision. Way below market-rate salaries for a lot of their non-development staff, and even for their dev interns. A company addicted to ceremonies that have lost relevance and provide zero value for their employees, for example the theatrical all hands meetings and their employee outings.

Advice to Management

Continue reducing many of your useless managers, refine your product. The leadership (all 10+ executives) should make actual decisions instead of going the crowdsourcing route to redefine their product. Go back to basics.

uShip2015-10-01

"Too Many Chiefs, Not Enough Indians (or Innovators)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at uShip full-time for more than a year

Pros

Beer cart Fridays Sweet location Many of the people there are friendly

Cons

Trying to sell too many unimportant perks, in order to undercut pay Company was trying to go in 7 different directions, without really dominating in any of them So many levels of management (this is probably why no new ideas can get carried out) Burning through way too much money My particular department was run like a sweatshop Unprofessional (like REALLY unprofessional) environment

Advice to Management

Decide if you want to stay in startup mode or grow into the supposed sought-after large public company that I heard so much about during my time there. Determining that will help shape the culture a bit more. Cut back on some of the management and "senior" titles. And if you're going to make people managers, get employee feedback on whether they are being productive and helpful as managers or not. Pay your... employees at least market value - working at a "cool company" doesn't pay the bills.

uShip2015-09-30