uShip Reviews | Glassdoor

uShip CEO Kris Lamb
Kris Lamb

"Sales"

I have been working at uShip

Pros

Cool company and (majority) great coworkers

Cons

Focusing too hard on being a "cool company." I don't want to see my managers and directors drunk when I could know that work is being done to grow our company.

Advice to Management

In all of these hands on and theatrical meetings, break it down and actually speak to your teams and not at them. See how their team is doing. Learn from them how to make the product better.

uShip2016-10-11

"Awesome culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, TX

I worked at uShip full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture is fun and full of weekly/monthly activities. It's largely a young office and energetic. It's located in the heart of downtown Austin. Oh, and you can bring your dogs to work.

Cons

A lack of appreciation for some employees. Some questionable things go on in and out of the office, but there seems to be no real consequences for it. It's swept under the rug because they 'work hard, play hard.'

uShip2016-10-18

"Best Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at uShip for more than 3 years

Pros

- Challenging work on a growing/changing product - Very open and supportive work environment with flexible hours, open PTO, lots of perks. - Dog-friendly offices - Fair pay, 401(k), good medical and dental - Great work/life balance

Cons

- Being in two buildings hurts communications between teams and the Congress building is old and broken (but the new building looks awesome and is only months away!) - Hiring process is incredibly drawn out sometimes and we could really use replacements faster.

Advice to Management

- Don't forget core, our customers really need some of the planned upgrades sooner rather than later.

uShip2016-09-12
  4. "Positive Environment, Amazing Growth"

I have been working at uShip

Pros

-Incredible culture that invests a lot in its employees -Free weekly yoga class -Lots of learning opportunities -Laidback, flexible environment -HR and management that value the wellbeing of their employees

Cons

-Maybe could work out better corporate perks around town

Advice to Management

Keep it up! There have been so many positive changes in the past few years that have led to impressive growth and improved morale.

uShip2016-08-03

"Very Fun Company!"

Former Employee - Development Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at uShip for less than a year

Pros

You're directly a part of a team as an intern; it's basically like you're a part of the full-time staff. They're sensitive to how much you do know, though, so you aren't thrown into the deep end. Your team is there to help you. Hours are flexible - as an intern, I just needed to meet my 39 hours, and be there for meetings, but could otherwise come or leave as early as I wanted to. Catered lunch - this was a con for...

Cons

Company was split into 2 buildings - the original building could no longer hold the engineering team so they're a few blocks away. There seemed to be high turnover - while a lot of faces had apparently been around for years, it seemed like a lot of them were leaving too. Low Salary

uShip2016-05-18

"Great work place! Evolving company."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at uShip full-time for more than a year

Pros

It has been inspiring and empowering to be involved in the growth of a promising company. Through it all, the positive culture has remained an important focus. Wonderful coworkers, excellent benefits, and fun extras make this a great place to come to work every day.

Cons

The company is still relatively young, so salaries are on the lower end of the scale. As we continue to mature, I expect this will change.

Advice to Management

Continue to make great hiring decisions. Don't spread management too thin. Recognize talented associates who may be enthusiastic about taking on new projects to assist in lightening the load.

uShip2016-04-21
  7. "Awesome Company"

Former Employee - Fraud Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at uShip full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great perks such as full time chefs cooking breakfast and lunch. A pantry that rivals that of the isles of HEB. Little scooters to get around the office. I worked at the old office on Red River and we had open cubes and the food downstairs. The second floor was a chill out game area with shuffle board, Xbox, PS3, guitar area with amp, ping pong table that turned into a beer pong table on Fridays when uShip would order...

Cons

I was a Temp worker. I was only there 1.5months. But in the time I was there, I wasn't too keen that my boss was not more interactive in our team. But who am I to say. I was there a month. I wish my contract had run longer - I had potential there.

Advice to Management

None

uShip2016-04-17

"Great Company To Work For With Plenty of Room To Grow"

Current Employee - Software Developer II in Austin, TX

I have been working at uShip full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free lunches, doing things as a company on the first Friday of every month, Nerds Rock SXSW Party, Casual Dress

Cons

Office space is tight as we are growing and waiting on our new building to be ready for us to move into.

Advice to Management

At this point in time I feel that management has really synced up on their missions and goals and it's evident through the growth and drive of the company.

uShip2016-03-16

"fantastic place to work, typical young company problems"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at uShip full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The day-to-day experience of working at uShip is wonderful, and the work-life balance is beyond reproach. As of late 2015 management seems intent on iterating on a small number of critical projects. Time will tell if that is a lasting change, but so far the focus is welcome, and makes daily work more rewarding and less arbitrary.

Cons

The company's direction was vague in the past, projects seemed haphazard, and real iteration on products happened rarely. But management changes during 2015 (both attitude and personnel) seem to have refocused the company on streamlining and polishing the business. Having the company split between two offices endangers the company's culture and makes building and maintaining rapport with an ever-growing staff difficult.

Advice to Management

Your employees want the opportunity to iterate and deliver great, polished work way more than they want free beer.

uShip2016-01-19

"Awesome place to work"

I worked at uShip

Pros

The work environment is very casual. You could show up in pajamas and no one would mind. Just about everyone that I worked with was very fun, smart, and willing to help me in any way they could. Also it was a dog friendly office, which I loved.

Cons

A lot of the code that I had to work with was pretty old and not very well documented. So sometimes things took a lot of digging or asking around to figure out how they worked.

Advice to Management

Can't think of much, as I was only an intern. But one thing would be to update a lot of the legacy code. Which, from things I have heard, they are working on.

uShip2015-10-27