uShip Reviews | Glassdoor

uShip CEO Kris Lamb
Kris Lamb

"Real experience"

Former Employee - Software Developer Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at uShip for less than a year

Pros

As an intern, you're integrated into the dev teams and actually work on REAL projects for the website. I guarantee that you won't finish the summer without being able to point at at least 5 different aspects across different main features of the site and say "I made that."

Cons

Some Fridays you don't really have any work to do (everybody kinda shuts down after lunch), but then again you don't really want to have to deal with the possibility of bringing down the website after pushing up an erroneous changeset. The only other kinda downer is the low salary.

Advice to Management

My suggestion would be to possibly not spend too much time in sprint planning and/or review. I feel like a little too much of our work time was consumed by this.

uShip2015-10-14

"The Aging Startup in the Austin Scene"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at uShip full-time

Pros

Location along with a handful of good and hardworking employees. Also, there are always employment positions available, mostly in sales.

Cons

Recent high-turnover caused by poor leadership and lack of product vision. Way below market-rate salaries for a lot of their non-development staff, and even for their dev interns. A company addicted to ceremonies that have lost relevance and provide zero value for their employees, for example the theatrical all hands meetings and their employee outings.

Advice to Management

Continue reducing many of your useless managers, refine your product. The leadership (all 10+ executives) should make actual decisions instead of going the crowdsourcing route to redefine their product. Go back to basics.

uShip2015-10-01

"Too Many Chiefs, Not Enough Indians (or Innovators)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at uShip full-time for more than a year

Pros

Beer cart Fridays Sweet location Many of the people there are friendly

Cons

Trying to sell too many unimportant perks, in order to undercut pay Company was trying to go in 7 different directions, without really dominating in any of them So many levels of management (this is probably why no new ideas can get carried out) Burning through way too much money My particular department was run like a sweatshop Unprofessional (like REALLY unprofessional) environment

Advice to Management

Decide if you want to stay in startup mode or grow into the supposed sought-after large public company that I heard so much about during my time there. Determining that will help shape the culture a bit more. Cut back on some of the management and "senior" titles. And if you're going to make people managers, get employee feedback on whether they are being productive and helpful as managers or not. Pay your employees...

uShip2015-09-30

"good group, but low pay and holier than thou developers."

I worked at uShip

Pros

great work environment with young, smart people, lots of fun engagement activities and work perks.

Cons

low minimum salary for most, but developers making a lot.

uShip2015-08-17

"Terrible Management"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at uShip for more than 3 years

Pros

Free beer, ping pong, happy hours, all of that stuff that you would expect from an Austin startup. Designed to encourage you to stay longer

Cons

Promotions are based on tenure Terrible management No communication between departments or with upper management Doesn't feel like anyone is actually working, or doing anything to actually help the company Its a 11 year old "start up" and feels like a frat house... I guess depending on who you are and what you are looking for, it could be perfect for you. If you are looking for a job that doesn't feel like a job,...

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees and find out what is actually happening. Care more about the company and the product, and less about trying to be cool.

uShip2015-08-24

"Great Work Environment"

Current Employee - Member Support Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at uShip

Pros

Allows you to work independently with constant availability of higher management for feedback food in house flexible hours Fun culture Decent leadership

Cons

The workload can at times be overwhelming. Luckily teams are built to work together and get things done.

uShip2015-07-03

"Great place to Learn and grow"

I have been working at uShip full-time

Pros

uShip is a great place to learn and grow. If you are willing to ask and go after what you want you will always be challenged and presented with new opportunities. Work hard, play hard culture allows you to be focused when you need and a good avenue to let off steam and get to know some of Austin's brightest. People who deliver and go above and beyond are competitively rewarded.

Cons

If you are not a self starter and internally motivated this probably isn't the place for you. uShip has grown fast at times and training and culture has changed.

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to let more tenured people out (liquidating their stock) providing and opportunity for up and comers to grow and succeed. Improve communication from the top down. Set, communicate and follow through on goals. Consolidation to one location is going to be a big help.

uShip2015-06-28

"Onward & Upward!"

I have been working at uShip full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Incredibly smart, talented, creative, diverse workforce - Lots of opportunity for growth - ability to make your time here count - Going through an amazing "Renaissance" period that will result in us reaching our full potential - Many mentorship opportunities - True entrepreneurial environment - lots of energy and creativity - Focus on team - The trajectory of where we can get to in the next few years - so exciting...

Cons

- Need to cut back on meetings (working on it) - History of chasing shiny objects (we're getting over this) - Some people don't realize how good they have it here and are in need of an attitude adjustment (complaining about FREE food that is actually very good??) - For most people, the pay could be better

Advice to Management

- Stay on track with the current movement towards focus and simplification. Prove it. There's a lot of big talk right now and we need to deliver. Otherwise the trust will be permanently lost. - Don't chase shiny objects. Seriously. Don't. - Listen to the employees and our customers. - We're not a startup anymore. Let's not act like it. - We're in a great place right now. Let's make sure we don't back-track.

uShip2015-06-23

"Incredible Culture, Unparalleled Talent"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at uShip

Pros

- incredibly talented team - truly unique & awesome culture - quick to identify problems and begin fixing them (from code to team dynamics) - unparalleled development process, from their technical implementation to their agile development process - pragmatic approach to solving problems - Opportunity to move within the company (a QA Analyst became a Junior DBA, a Customer Service team member became a QA Analyst)...

Cons

- Lack of focus (when I worked there, I've been told this is in a much better state now) - People forget how good they have it (trust me, I left and the grass was definitely not greener on the other side)

Advice to Management

- Continue what you're doing (I've heard good things) - Focus - Work as a team - Listen to your people, you didn't hire them to tell them what to do

uShip2015-06-24

"Unorganized in senior managment"

I worked at uShip

Pros

The people, in general, are great. Perks are good.

Cons

Seemed a lot like a fraternity. Thought some of the C level execs became too comfortable and set bad examples in company social situations. Company needs to stop pretending it's the cool startup in town and paying below market wages based on it's a cool place to work. It's not that environment anymore.

Advice to Management

CEO needs to stop being a product manager and be a CEO. Probably should seek advice of CEO's who have been through what he's been through or hire a CEO for this stage of the company.

uShip2015-07-01