uShip "free lunch" Reviews | Glassdoor

uShip Employee Reviews about "free lunch"

Updated Aug 9, 2019

Found 78 reviews

3.7
uShip CEO Kris Lamb
Kris Lamb
Pros
  • "Free lunch and dogs are welcome(in 14 reviews)

• "I started at uShip when the company was about 75 people(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Because uShip is an older tech company, sometimes the limitations of the tech stack can be frustrating(in 10 reviews)

• "Can have a very "frat house" feel(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "free lunch"

Return to all Reviews
  1. Featured Review

"Great people working together to disrupt the transportation industry"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at uShip full-time

Pros

*This company lives by its core values - we pride ourselves in growing each other, making our products better and truly making the lives of our customers better. *Working with smart, driven people who care. This is not a place where people coast, it's a place where you can make your career and grow yourself personally and professionally. I really like the leadership training courses and availability of LinkedIn Learning...

Cons

*Because uShip is an older tech company, sometimes the limitations of the tech stack can be frustrating. Though, there has been massive positive change in this area and things are really getting better.

Advice to Management

Keep living by the core values and holding employees to a higher bar than yesterday. The momentum is strong and it's an exciting time to be a uShipper.

uShip2019-05-13

"OK place to work after college"

Current Employee - Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at uShip full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free lunch and dogs are welcome

Cons

It's a Frat House and I want more money not snacks

uShip2019-05-15
  3. "Great place to learn and have fun."

Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at uShip full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have fun every day I go into work, and constantly feel like I'm learning and growing. Every dev on the team has a passion for programming, and the company is constantly helping employees learn. Free lunches and snacks are great. Dogs all over the office. Awesome building to work in, and desk setups.

Cons

Some teams have more engaging projects than others, but the teams shift around near annually to keep things fresh.

uShip2018-04-10
  4. "Highly recommended start-up!"

I worked at uShip full-time

Pros

Dog friendly, free lunch, great people!

Cons

None- I loved my time at uShip!

uShip2018-02-03

"Sales is a complete waste of time"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at uShip full-time for more than a year

Pros

First Fridays, free lunch and casual attire.

Cons

One of the lowest paying sales jobs in Austin selling a horrible product. When this issue was brought up to management it was ignored but then they act shocked when people leave for better sales roles. If you want to be micromanaged and not respected then this is the perfect department for you. There are shady things going on constantly and then handled in an even more shady way by HR. There is absolutely no room for...

Advice to Management

My advice would be to listen to your employees. Some people in management roles are ruining the culture that uShip prides itself on. Don't focus so much on specific departments and not others. It makes for isolation and departments feeling unvalued.

uShip2016-12-05

"Great Place to work"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at uShip for more than a year

Pros

Loved it! Great culture and loved free lunches!

Cons

Management in Sales department was terrible

uShip2016-11-05

"Great Company To Work For With Plenty of Room To Grow"

Current Employee - Software Developer II in Austin, TX

I have been working at uShip full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free lunches, doing things as a company on the first Friday of every month, Nerds Rock SXSW Party, Casual Dress

Cons

Office space is tight as we are growing and waiting on our new building to be ready for us to move into.

Advice to Management

At this point in time I feel that management has really synced up on their missions and goals and it's evident through the growth and drive of the company.

uShip2016-03-16

"Incredible Culture, Unparalleled Talent"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at uShip

Pros

- incredibly talented team - truly unique & awesome culture - quick to identify problems and begin fixing them (from code to team dynamics) - unparalleled development process, from their technical implementation to their agile development process - pragmatic approach to solving problems - Opportunity to move within the company (a QA Analyst became a Junior DBA, a Customer Service team member became a QA Analyst)...

Cons

- Lack of focus (when I worked there, I've been told this is in a much better state now) - People forget how good they have it (trust me, I left and the grass was definitely not greener on the other side)

Advice to Management

- Continue what you're doing (I've heard good things) - Focus - Work as a team - Listen to your people, you didn't hire them to tell them what to do

uShip2015-06-24

"Best start-up to work for in Austin!"

Former Employee - Business Development in Austin, TX

I worked at uShip

Pros

Free lunch, ping-pong, keg-orator.... and all the other perks you would expect at an Austin start-up. Unique because it is in a huge industry but most tech start-up haven't considered trucking/logistics "sexy" enough to enter.

Cons

Initially had trouble focusing on best growth opportunities, but management seems to have matured and no longer chases next shiny object

Advice to Management

uShip is 10 years a head of the competition, but it also has some of the smartest/hardest working employees ... so never get satisfied with status quo.... uShip has potential to become industry leader over next 10 years.

uShip2015-03-23

"Best internship I could've asked for."

Former Employee - Web Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at uShip for less than a year

Pros

uShip is so welcoming with very knowledgable people who love being asked any and all questions. I was placed on a team with full time employees and was able to participate in the real work that goes on at the company, so real world experience!! Not to mention the free lunch, the video games, the snacks, and the awesome awesome people.

Cons

All the fun can be distracting at times (is this really a con??). There were very few girls working as developers which was a little troubling to me.

uShip2014-04-05