van Wagenen Financial Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Randall Rempp

1. "Good company"

Former Employee - Data Entry Specialist in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Data Entry Specialist in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at van Wagenen Financial Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-events, lots of them!
    -3 weeks of paid vacation per year + floating hours
    -volunteer hours
    -friendly co-workers, mostly drama free environment
    -management (depending on your department) is very helpful
    -Great vacation hours
    -good health insurance
    -growing company, room for advancement

Cons

-Low wages for how much work is expected of you.
    -Some department manager choose favorites for promotions.

Not too many cons besides working in the call center and dealing with rude people on a daily basis, but that expected when it comes to customer service.

Advice to Management

Don't promote someone because you like them. Promote them based on their work ethic.

"I could work here forever!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

Pros

This is a really fun place to work! There are a ton of great people which is my favorite part of it. They have a really diverse work force with people from all over the world.

They are constantly having fun parties - summer BBQ's with ice cream trucks, company wide potluck lunches, football kickoff parties, holiday parties...if there is a reason, we're most likely having a party. I've never worked somewhere where they take holiday decorating to the extreme and do tons of contests for best decorations for Halloween and Christmas.

They have a cool lounge with ping pong, pool table, dart board and Direct TV. They have a great market with decent food options.

I was able to select a schedule that worked for me and my family which is invaluable!

They offer volunteer days which feels so great to have the day off to give back to our community. They also have blood drives, fundraiser bake sales, food drives, etc. They are dedicated to social responsibility.

They are also focused on wellness. They've had massage therapist come in for a week and take care of employees. They offer yoga every Tuesday and offer a great gym discount.

They have great employee recognition programs too!

They've improved communication and transparency so we usually are in the loop with what is going on. They're growing fast and doing a lot of hiring lately. I feel confident that they're headed in the right direction. There is a lot of room for advancement.

Cons

I wish they had better health insurance but it seems you can't get that anywhere no-a-days.

They are under a parent company which seems to be going through some transitions. Shouldn't effect us too much as we are very stable currently.

Advice to Management

Challenge each other and get along. :)

"data entry specialist"

Former Employee - Data Entry Specialist in Largo, FL
    Former Employee - Data Entry Specialist in Largo, FL

I worked at van Wagenen Financial Services (More than a year)

Pros

Professional setting. Good benefits and nice boss

Cons

closed Florida office. No overtime

"IT staff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Michael, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Michael, MN

I worked at van Wagenen Financial Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay was great. I always had open communication for more training. The hours were idea. A lot of people are able to adjust hours to fit schedule.

Cons

The company has been in a constant turn oil for over 10 years. They lay off people very often. So they do not look like a bad company they create new positions titles for the same job.

Advice to Management

Quit having monthly layoffs. The staff you keep does not like that. Every one stays quiet and hope they are not next. Scary place to work.

6. "customer service"

Former Employee - Customer Services Representative in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Customer Services Representative in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at van Wagenen Financial Services (More than a year)

Pros

Balance work/personal life, fun environment, friendly environment

Cons

There is no cons at all.

7. "Good so far"

Current Employee - Operations Support
    Current Employee - Operations Support

Pros

Leadership are great to work with and I feel appreciated as an associate. Lots of benefits and flexibility.

Cons

Constant changes and a recent change to Sky Kick has brought a ton of technical issues. Wage is rather low,hoping that will change with 1 yr under my belt.

"Getting much better"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

The company has made significant strides over the past couple of years in most areas. Employees have more say in what happens and have the ability to participate in events. The 401k match is great and the benefits are nice. The paid time off is better than most jobs for entry level employees. Supervisors and managers are great to work with.

Cons

High productivity standards create too much stress. Just because employees are capable of meeting high standards, doesn't mean they can do them every day. In comparison, just because a runner has the ability to run a marathon doesn't mean they should do it every day. Also, upper management appears to be out of touch with reality because there are similar jobs in the marketplace with lower productivity requirements that pay more money. Most of my co-workers would agree that the call center was much more fun several years ago. It felt like our manager had our best interests in mind and everything was kept running smoothly. I don't have anything against my existing manager, but it seems as though she has her hands tied by upper management.

Advice to Management

Increase wages so that they are in line with productivity expectations. Hire more resources so that we're not always behind.

"Change is in the air"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at van Wagenen Financial Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There has been alot of much overdue change happening at van Wagenen. We are being rewarded for hard work instead of everyone being treated the same regardless of effort. While it has been good for many associates, not everyone fits in the new culture. The volunteer program is fantastic. The staff at all levels is friendly and welcoming. The employee lounge was a nice addition.

Cons

There are still some people and practices from the past that need to change. We still are not getting enough coaching and communication in CS. Alot of change happening has caused some uncertainty. It can take awhile to get up to speed.

Advice to Management

Keep empowering associates. We can only be as successful as our supervisors. The company seems to have turned the corner there is alot of work to do in continuing to create a better culture and place to work. Focus on getting more business.

10. "Moving in the Right Direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at van Wagenen Financial Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Social Responsibility is one of the core values of van Wagenen, and they live up to this by providing countless volunteer opportunities throughout the year. The company is gaining market share and moving in the right direction. Benefits are fair.

Cons

This is a unique niche of insurance products and services, so the learning curve for new hires is pretty steep.

"Moving in the right direction"

Current Employee - Leadership in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Leadership in Eden Prairie, MN

Pros

The company has been working hard to improve the culture - we had a lot of training opportunities over the past year. There are opportunities to move up in your career - positions are posted and people are promoted.
    There have been a lot of changes - but many of them are positive. It does seem like employees are being trusted more to make decisions - and that we are very focused as a company on creating a positive employee and customer experience. Benefits have also improved a lot in the past couple of year - such as having paid volunteer days, tuition reimbursement, health club reimbursement, and now the APEX award and rencognition program.

Cons

With a lot of changes can come uncertainty which leads some people to feel stressed. We still need to break down some walls and help people understand how they fit into the big picture.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent - have regular town hall meetings like we have been doing - share ideas with all employees and get their feedback. Everyone wants to feel included in decision making.