xAd Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
xAd Founder and CEO Dipanshu "D" Sharma
Dipanshu "D" Sharma

Pros
  • Friendly teammates, nice onsite free lunch, open working schedule, unlimited vacations (in 12 reviews)

• Culture and working environment are the best I've ever experienced (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great for high performers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at xAd full-time

Pros

A lot of smart passionate people. A lot of opportunities for growth. Culture of getting things done.

Cons

All of the typical growing pains

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great people and help them succeed through the right structure and processes

2. "Monetization analyst"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at xAd full-time (More than a year)

Pros

nice working environment and many learning opportunities

Cons

Communication can be inefficient sometimes between different teams.

Advice to Management

Hire more senior and experienced people

3. "Tough place to work if you want a social life"

I worked at xAd full-time

Pros

The free food (although not always the best for you), reimbursement for phone and gym

Cons

Never have I had a "manager" that was so demeaning. The way to motivate was with fear, which in most cases is counter productive. My job was threatened within a month of starting after having no formal ramp up period. The expectation of staying late for the sake of looking busy and no consideration for personal time out of work was disrespectful. For example, being given a project on Friday at 5:30 pm and being told it had to finish before leaving when said project could have been given hours earlier. Lastly if you think the gossiping won't go noticed because you are typing it in messenger, think again. We all sit in the same room!

Advice to Management

Find ways to train managers on appropriate business practices. I know this is a "start-up" but making fun of a coworkers glasses when said person is within hearing distance isn't appropriate. Find ways to enforce better work life balance.

xAd Response

Feb 24, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback: we appreciate former and current employees taking the time to share their experiences with us. xAd recognizes we are experiencing the growing pains that accompany the ... More

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Ad Operations in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Ad Operations in New York, NY

I have been working at xAd full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits like free lunch, amazing office in WTC, gym and $40 cell phone reimbursement and $50 for gym every month

Cons

Really young people at management positions and around the company in general. People gets promoted really fast without proving themselves.

Advice to Management

Invest on people and stop hiring young and inexperienced.

"Great potential but need to find the sweet spot"

I worked at xAd full-time

Pros

As with any adtech, many interesting tech challenges to work on. Adtech has some of the highest volumes of transactions and data you'll ever see, and xAd is no exception.

The CEO has a good sense of humor, keeps things entertaining during all-hands.

Great potential to learn and develop. Many essential elements are there, I'm bullish that the company will pull together and succeed.

Cons

While there are some great managers at xAd, there are some real duds who seem to continue unnoticed. One of the best managers I've ever worked with ended up leaving and I somehow ended up under the worst manager, by far, that I've ever worked with (think Lumbergh with a little Napoleon complex). Needless to say, I didn't last long after that. The direct manager has the biggest impact on an employee's satisfaction and success - period. 5 stars for my first manager, 1 star for the experience with the other - 3 stars overall. Make sure you interview with one of the good ones.

Easy to drown in technical debt there, which unfortunately flows like a river at xAd. Fun to build there but not fun to be the one who's left to maintain it - I spent countless nights and weekends babysitting/cleaning other engineers' messes.

Executive management is a bit capricious/nervous/scared. Seems like no one's neck is ever too far from the chopping block. Fear is used there, and is ultimately counter-productive.

Advice to Management

xAd is not a startup anymore - time to grow up and operate with some maturity. Tech managers: don't pride yourselves on how many of your engineers spend endless nights/weekends fixing stuff - better to spend some time on sound design and solid implementation/testing. Technical debt will not be ignored - don't be afraid to talk about it. Keep business before personal matters, foster merit-based rewards and advancement.

While there, management was trying too hard to identify and contrive some kind of culture, meanwhile culture happened. You're no Google or Facebook - get real about the existing culture and then evolve from there. Finally, regarding the played reviews on this site - it's good you're paying attention, but keep it real.

"Account Manager"

I have been working at xAd full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are incredibly friendly and work well together. Fast paced environment so you will learn quickly.

Cons

Poor management structure, ideas and team organization comes from the bottom up, not the top down. Don't get recognized for achievements as often, they will be rolled up under your manager.

Advice to Management

Hire people who are used to growing a company slightly larger than xAd so they will have the experience to bring the company to the next level.

8. "Growing startup!"

I worked at xAd full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tremendous growth opportunities for the short term

Cons

Long term - how does the landscape change?

"Principal Scientist"

Former Employee - Principal Scientist in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Scientist in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at xAd full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I learned a lot of very useful new big data technologies. Worked with some smart and focused engineers.

Cons

The manner in which I was hired created problems. My boss never interviewed me, and when, we starting working together, the chemistry was poor. He never looked at my work and we parted ways 5 months later.

Advice to Management

Don't hire that way again. And if an engineer says he has done something useful for you within the constraints of the problem he was assigned, bother to take a look and see how to leverage that work, even if you don't plan to keep that engineer.

"Anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at xAd full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have to say that this is the best company I have ever worked for. Pros:
    -the people rock! Friendly, straight forward, even the CEO came by to say hi when I was hired
    -backing from impressive investors
    -the product is ground breaking
    -catered awesome lunches everyday, unlimited vacation, free benefits, stock options, they even gave me Bose headphones on my first day
    -opportunity to do what you are good at and build processes along the way.
    -truly part of the bigger team
    -learning everyday

Cons

You have to be ok that there may not be processes in place as its growing rapidly. Be patient and help make it better.

Advice to Management

So excited to be here! Keep it up! Thank you for all of the transparency.

"Account Management"

I have been working at xAd full-time

Pros

- Work alongside a lot of good people who are friendly and nice to be around throughout the day. - Free lunch and a stocked kitchen is always good
    - Allow

Cons

- Not much room for advancement
    - Pay is not horrible but most definitely not great (focus on other perks so they can pay employees less)
    - Company seems to be losing its values that it is so persistent on communicating as it grows (overall culture, employee satisfaction, allowing employees to be innovative and bring new ideas to the table, growth opportunity, etc.)