xbiotech usa Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Simard

1. "Innovative Company and excellent department leaders."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at xbiotech usa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Mentors, fun, friendly and pleasant environment to work in. Good work culture, everyone is very approachable, good easy to get to location, and really good team managers and department leaders.

Cons

We have space problems - We need more desk space, offices for employees. Growing pains... This should be eliminated when we open our new state of the art manufacturing plant in the next few months.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and direction.

2. "Inovative pleasantly surprised work environment"

Current Employee - N/A in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - N/A in Austin, TX

I have been working at xbiotech usa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Truley concerned about the goals and hurdles
    Great management really enjoy working here a real diverse group and company teams consist of all culture's

Cons

None I can think of at all place is great really enjoy working here a real diverse group and company teams consist of all culture's

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

3. "Don't believe the hype!"

Former Employee - Research Associate II in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Research Associate II in Austin, TX

I worked at xbiotech usa full-time

Pros

I worked at XBIOTECH for 2 yrs and it was, by far, the worst place I ever worked at. Do not work there! The CEO is an overbearing dictator. The only pro to working there is it is one of the few science companies to work for in Austin.

Cons

Like I said, Do NOT work there! The CEO is crazy and demands too much in a short period of time. He does not keep the employees informed of his plans and changes things last minute. This is not ideal in science! They have not been successful in producing their first product because they do not perform good science! They have been accused by their investors of lying about their data. Beware!

Advice to Management

Sell the company for whatever you can get for it!

"Assoc. Scientist"

Former Employee - Proten Purification in San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - Proten Purification in San Marcos, TX

I worked at xbiotech usa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to learn new processes and information.. People are will to teach you things you may not know and are a great source of information.

Cons

Stressful at times. The work can become overwhelming if you do not allow time to let your mind clear. Some of the long hours can become rough.

Advice to Management

None

"Smart people, lifesaving work, Austin vibe"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at xbiotech usa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been at XBiotech for several months now and am loving it. My coworkers are all smart, hardworking people who understand how incredible our company's mission and products are. That said, there's no internal competition or airs of superiority. From Day 1 it's been very laid back, and everyone was super welcoming.

Cons

I really haven't seen any cons here yet. The people and culture are awesome and everyone seems to hold their own sustainable work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Haven't been through my evaluations yet so I may have more to add down the road, but so far no advice to give here!

"Cell culture"

Former Employee - Cell Culture in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Cell Culture in Austin, TX

I worked at xbiotech usa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ground breaking Antibody therapeutic treatment

Cons

The managers are freaking crazy!!!

Advice to Management

Stop being so paranoid and treat people with respect

"Secrets will be revealed if regulatory authorities audit"

Former Employee - Director, Clinical Research in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Director, Clinical Research in Austin, TX

I worked at xbiotech usa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Technology has much potential for people that suffer from different diseases (eg, Cancer). In addition, company is located in Austin which is a growing economy.

Cons

Many errors made with manufacturing process that are 'swept under the rug' with upper management consent. An audit from regulatory authority will enlightening the public (because findings are public) of activities in the company. CEO does not allow clinician research employees to work remotely including CRAs; seems to be a trust/control issue.

Advice to Management

My advice is to investors: become more involved in the activities of the company. Your executive mans gent are cutting corners that could impact patient safety. When discovered then executives will flee but damage will be fine and your money gone.

"Very Inexperienced Upper Mgmt and Absurd Cronyism."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at xbiotech usa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A few very smart scientists there. Others are nice people to work with for the most part. Nice facilities for a startup.

Cons

Upper Mgmt, especially HR and CEO, have no respect for mid level employees. Over my tenure it was made very clear that everyone was expendable on a days notice (besides previous co-workers from Canada). Very inadequate financial acumen for a firm this size. Unclear if they care much about helping cancer patients or company is only a pipe-dream for executives hoping to score a financial windfall.

Advice to Management

Perhaps, don't go on a month long yachting vacation just 45 days before you have to lay off 70% of your workforce b/c your payroll checks are about to bounce?

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at xbiotech usa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A great start-up company with many pros: A promising drug in the clinics; a great discovery pipeline; committed scientists; and the opportunity to gain experience across multiple areas very quickly.

This place is not for the faint of heart. Your work will be challenged, but as long as you take the feedback positively to improve your commitment to science and humanity, you will survive.

Cons

Health benefits are not so great, but this is the case with any small employer. No 401K options, but this is somewhat compensated by a decent stock option upon joining the company.

Advice to Management

Make the current employees feel appreciated for their dedication and hard work whenever possible. You will be able to retain your talent pool and won't need to spend months training new employees.

"Throw you out like a cheap handbag, a meat grinder that sucks the life out of you"

Current Employee - Vice President in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President in Austin, TX

I have been working at xbiotech usa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Austin location, close to the airport, good infrastructure, great city, great culture, nice place to live, entertainment factor, good people

Cons

The management is paranoid about disclosures and external discussions, please read the other reviews posted on this site carefully because many appear to be written by the management themselves and posted within days, recycling the same old snake oil salesman points. This is a soul-destroying sweatshop, where employees are disposable assets. Be prepared to be exploited, abused and ultimately, amused. Senior staff of the company is all about politics and playing the game. Also, if one has made any mistakes, instead of addressing the issues in a timely manner and allowing one to learn, they hold on to the information in order to fire a staff member. Compensation is about 50% below market rate. Many feel that they need to stay because they need the stock option payout because they have been paid such low base salaries. However, options are incredibly diluted so are all but worthless. The true size of the option pool is obscured due to the numerous funding rounds and management turnover. Overall it's become a very tough culture and difficult place to work. They do things very different than other companies in HR, people get fired left and right for no reason. Its a numbers game, they don’t relo because, you will be looking for work within a few weeks, to a few months, not a long term place to get a career moving forward. The whole organization is top heavy. It seems like the shift towards an IPO plan has really been a move to get all of the current CEO buddies in on the cheap stock option action before the official public offering - Just another way for rich friends to get richer.

Advice to Management

Value employees more and pay more. Issue fair options packages. Encourage career advancement. Don't yell at people.