xbiotech usa Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
xbiotech usa Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer John Simard
John Simard

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Manufacturing Associate II"

I have been working at xbiotech usa full-time

Pros

Great learning experience for all depts.

Cons

The travel between the buildings

Advice to Management

Never let politics stress you out

"No stability, no outlook, no future"

I have been working at xbiotech usa full-time

Pros

You will get experienced in your area. Only a few biotech companies in austin. Some managers really helpful.

Cons

Management only say yes to CEO, no matter what he asks for. We just had layoffs in many groups.Many people let go because they wanted to do right thing. Many upper management people can't or won't change. 401k and insurance really bad. A lot of fear.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. Stop saying yes when you know it's wrong.

"Innovative Company and excellent department leaders."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at xbiotech usa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Mentors, fun, friendly and pleasant environment to work in. Good work culture, everyone is very approachable, good easy to get to location, and really good team managers and department leaders.

Cons

We have space problems - We need more desk space, offices for employees. Growing pains... This should be eliminated when we open our new state of the art manufacturing plant in the next few months.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and direction.

"Inovative pleasantly surprised work environment"

Current Employee - N/A in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - N/A in Austin, TX

I have been working at xbiotech usa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Truley concerned about the goals and hurdles
    Great management really enjoy working here a real diverse group and company teams consist of all culture's

Cons

None I can think of at all place is great really enjoy working here a real diverse group and company teams consist of all culture's

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Don't believe the hype!"

Former Employee - Research Associate II in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Research Associate II in Austin, TX

I worked at xbiotech usa full-time

Pros

I worked at XBIOTECH for 2 yrs and it was, by far, the worst place I ever worked at. Do not work there! The CEO is an overbearing dictator. The only pro to working there is it is one of the few science companies to work for in Austin.

Cons

Like I said, Do NOT work there! The CEO is crazy and demands too much in a short period of time. He does not keep the employees informed of his plans and changes things last minute. This is not ideal in science! They have not been successful in producing their first product because they do not perform good science! They have been accused by their investors of lying about their data. Beware!

Advice to Management

Sell the company for whatever you can get for it!

"Assoc. Scientist"

Former Employee - Proten Purification in San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - Proten Purification in San Marcos, TX

I worked at xbiotech usa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to learn new processes and information.. People are will to teach you things you may not know and are a great source of information.

Cons

Stressful at times. The work can become overwhelming if you do not allow time to let your mind clear. Some of the long hours can become rough.

Advice to Management

None

"Smart people, lifesaving work, Austin vibe"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at xbiotech usa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been at XBiotech for several months now and am loving it. My coworkers are all smart, hardworking people who understand how incredible our company's mission and products are. That said, there's no internal competition or airs of superiority. From Day 1 it's been very laid back, and everyone was super welcoming.

Cons

I really haven't seen any cons here yet. The people and culture are awesome and everyone seems to hold their own sustainable work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Haven't been through my evaluations yet so I may have more to add down the road, but so far no advice to give here!

"Cell culture"

Former Employee - Cell Culture in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Cell Culture in Austin, TX

I worked at xbiotech usa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ground breaking Antibody therapeutic treatment

Cons

The managers are freaking crazy!!!

Advice to Management

Stop being so paranoid and treat people with respect

"Secrets will be revealed if regulatory authorities audit"

Former Employee - Director, Clinical Research in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Director, Clinical Research in Austin, TX

I worked at xbiotech usa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Technology has much potential for people that suffer from different diseases (eg, Cancer). In addition, company is located in Austin which is a growing economy.

Cons

Many errors made with manufacturing process that are 'swept under the rug' with upper management consent. An audit from regulatory authority will enlightening the public (because findings are public) of activities in the company. CEO does not allow clinician research employees to work remotely including CRAs; seems to be a trust/control issue.

Advice to Management

My advice is to investors: become more involved in the activities of the company. Your executive mans gent are cutting corners that could impact patient safety. When discovered then executives will flee but damage will be fine and your money gone.

"Non-competive Pay, Understaffed, Intimidating CEO, Questionable long-term potential"

Pros

The staff at the entry and mid level are all very nice.
    Austin is a good city to live in.
    Parking isn't an issue.

Cons

Base salaries are 30-40% below the market rate. There is no 401k (and obviously no matching). There is no family health insurance coverage. There are no bonuses. Additionally, it is extremely rare for anyone to get a raise or to be promoted. This has many people leaving and looking to leave. A publicly traded company that isn't competitive and willing to keep talent will have trouble succeeding.

The CEO micromanages each department, which might work well in a 20 person company, but not one of this size. He is very smart, but has also established a culture of "do X or you are fired." Several people from entry level all the way up to a couple of Vice Presidents have been fired on the spot.
    The CEO promises certain timelines to external parties and doesn't realize how understaffed the manufacturing and clinical departments are. It is stunning how much work he has so few people doing. If two or three key people leave those departments the company would come to a halt.

Advice to Management

Try very hard to retain your current staff and hire 2-3x more people. The compensation is so far below other local and national companies that other factors can not make up the difference and people will leave once they get their experience.
    Also, try not to be so aggressive. Be reasonable and ask your colleagues outside of XBiotech or consultants what is a reasonable budget or a reasonable timeline for certain large projects.