zulily Reviews

Updated Aug 8, 2020

2.6
zulily President Jeff Yurcisin
Jeff Yurcisin
Pros
  • "dynamic, interesting challenges to overcome, every day was different, fast paced(in 50 reviews)

• "Great people to work with and fun company(in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • "Hard to have a work life balance(in 59 reviews)

• "low pay compared to similar jobs in the area, picking takes a tole on your body(in 53 reviews)

1. "Solid company that treats customers with respect"

Current Employee - Construction Management Trainee

I have been working at zulily full-time

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Ups and downs of e-commerence industry

2. "ever wonder if a company is just okay but you're only getting the extreme reviews? That's the case here"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at zulily full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Competent management that listens - Fairly straightforward goals and communication - Sometimes get to work with fun tech - seems to be trying to be a "hip" tech company and succeeding sometimes - great starting point, especially for junior or midlevel. Many people move on to FAANG afterwards

Cons

- Sometimes there's old-school policies that feel like they haven't kept up with modern tech. For example, vacation time is both metered and not paid out on leaving. WFH is kinda unofficially allowed but seems to be often frowned upon. - Unbalanced in terms of seniority; lots of juniors and mid levels, few seniors. Many people from non-traditional backgrounds without adequate understanding of DS + Algorithms - They seem to want everyone to be a jack of all trades but ace of none. As a result there's a noticeable lack of domain knowledge on any particular project or stack. This however is slowly improving - Mislead efforts in tech that don't address core product or tech issues. For example, instead of refactoring poorly abstracted code, they will add testing over it to make sure it doesn't break. - Sunk cost fallacy seems to pop up every now and then. Some code will no longer meet our needs, or reach some complexity that's impossible to maintain, or simply have some big flaw -- but people will have a hard time giving it up because they spent too much time on it back in the day - Often those with less experience but an abundance of confidence can end up getting power to make decisions. Not huge outreaching ones, but ones that affect the team you're in more than likely

Continue reading

3. "Great for Career Growth"

Former Employee - Program Manager, Analyst, Project Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at zulily full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I came to Zulily after having been passed up by the company I interned at simply because of my low college GPA. Luckily Zulily did not ask me about my GPA. Given all of this I came in with quite a chip on my shoulders eager to prove my worth and prove my old co-workers wrong. Zulily gave me this chance. Many of the employees at zulily have a relaxed west coast work mentality so if you prove yourself to be a hard worker that is eager to learn you can find opportunities to advance your career. I started off a a project coordinator in vendor ops, moved to an analyst role in customer Finance, to FP&A, and to finally a program manager role in marketing. This all happened with less than in 4 years at the company. I highly doubt that I could have gotten this much career development and diversity at many other companies. It was truly a wonderful experience and I got to meet a lot of great mentors along the way. This experience was exactly what I was looking for.

Cons

The major con at zulily is salary. For me this was fine since I was at the start of my career just looking to get some experience for my resume. That said many of the great employees you come across eventually leave as soon as they have gained the knowledge they were looking for and are offered more money else where. I really was sad when I told my manager I had accepted an offer but the truth is I couldn't justify staying at a company that is paying me 80k when another company is offering me 100k in a city that has a slightly lower cost of living. Lastly try to avoid the merch org. Luckily I was never a part of it but most of the negative sentiment on glass door is from former merch employees.

4. "Analyst at Zulily"

4.0
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at zulily full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great group of people to work with. A lot of opportunity for growth as long as you demonstrate a desire to work hard. Very good work life balance.

Cons

Corporate location was in Seattle but main customer base was in the south and midwest. Difficult to identify and/or have much enthusiasm for the product.

5. "Terrible"

2.0
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at zulily full-time for less than a year

Pros

Discount if you like overpriced products made in China , work from home. Absolutely nothing else

Cons

Micromanaging, terrible attendance policy - clock out one minute early and that’s a deduction, can’t even take a break between calls. It’s better to deal with the irate customers mad because Zulily takes months to deliver items for which they already paid than to deal with the annoying managers. Also, low pay for the work. You have to be tech support and CSR. We can’t tell customers how to operate their phones when we can’t even have our phones near us. And manadatory overtime.

6. "Scramble"

Current Employee - Photographer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Co-workers are good, direct leadership is fine, seems to care but is put under a ton of pressure from higher leadership.

Cons

Higher leadership is constantly scrambling.

7. "fast paced interesting job"

Former Employee - Studio Supervisor in Seattle, WA

I worked at zulily full-time

Pros

Cons

disorganized and culture needed support

8. "Good engineers"

1.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at zulily full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Engineers are great, but management is not

Cons

Upper management is not concerned with engineers

9. "Truly a very collaborative environment"

Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Business Partner in Seattle, WA

I worked at zulily full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Work/Life balance - engaged leaders - amazing team members - felt truly valued by my leaders and the teams I supported

Cons

- PTO is standard and not competitive to the market. - Parent company definitely is not adaptable to the quick pace that the Seattle/start-up market is used to.

10. COVID-19

"Extreme Nepotism in a sinking ship"

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at zulily full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some talented engineers who cares for the code base and the systems

Cons

I was in the Merchant and Vendor Tech team and I haven't seen such blatant nepotism in my 15 years in the industry. The VPs will force you to work on tickets and bug fixes, and she(/he/they) will get really mad if you look at data and suggest some meaningful changes. She (/he/they) had a couple of favorite PMs who will run around, reporting dissent who will later be publicly disciplined and shamed. If you are a manager and this gang find that you have some independent opinion, they will "push you out". All this is when the company is going through severe revenue drop, pre-COVID. To me this is plain dishonesty.

Found 831 reviews