zulily Reviews | Glassdoor

zulily CEO Darrell Cavens
Darrell Cavens

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "The pay is lower than other places but there's a lot of work/life balance and you get to work with amazing people" (in 48 reviews)

• "Low pay and poor benefits are a huge reason people leave" (in 38 reviews)

1. "Assistant Buyer"

I worked at zulily full-time

Pros

great to get experience in e-commerce & buying

Cons

you work really hard, no bonuses and AB's rarely get promoted.

2. "Great Opportunity"

I have been working at zulily full-time

Pros

Great relaxed culture
    Takes development seriously
    Open-minded management mentality

Cons

Longer work hours
    Working on weekends/nights

3. "Best place to get your foot in the door!"

I have been working at zulily full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management can recognize talent and nurture skills to lead to opportunities. Company is newer, I have seen it evolve and they are now in a very strong place. Very organized (didn't happen over night)

Cons

People leave to find greener grass on the other side and try to come back because they made a bad decision of leaving causing a lot of Overtime for everyone else.

"Not Good for People of Color"

Current Employee - Vendor Management in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Vendor Management in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Colleagues.
    Great Experience.
    You can move up in the company.

Cons

First, I want to say that zulily can be a great company but changes need to be made

Working at zulily willing have your head spin. Being here for a couple of years, I feel bad for those who are minorities because I have heard some racial insensitivity comments from Upper Management. It blows my mind how management can get away with what they say because if someone who isn't management, they would either be written up and have this big meeting with HR.

In the role, you will feel like you are catfished. They will tell you how you get to travel... You only get to go to the FC once. Management to us that they want to send you out to meet with your vendors see their process and improve to give customers to best experience. The job can be very frustrating because the system work half of the time and you constantly need to do work to keep vendors happy as well as colleagues that you work for. You can't take a vaca without worrying about your work.

You will constantly feel like you will not be taken care. The whole benefits package (including salary) can be a lot better. Every week you will hear how much money the company made and you will be in total shock.

Advice to Management

Improve on what we say to one another. Management should be the solution and not the problem.

Improve systems.

Have a better compensation package

5. "Pack/shipping and receiving"

Former Employee - Zulily in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Zulily in Reno, NV

I worked at zulily full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone there are friendly and are willing to help you out

Cons

Lead Miscommunications with what's going on in the warehouse

Advice to Management

Willing to give 1000% of commitment and hard work and dedication to wherever I may end up fingers crossed on Panasonic

6. "Buyer"

I have been working at zulily full-time

Pros

Fast paced, innovative, strategic, learn a lot!!

Cons

Salary, negative work environment

Advice to Management

Pay your top performing employees to motivate success. Put the buying team on a tiered commission structure.

"Lead Copywriter"

Former Employee - Lead Copywriter in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Lead Copywriter in Columbus, OH

I worked at zulily full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Amazing, kind, creative co-workers
    - Work from home

Cons

This biggest problems I had when I left were:
    - Lower than industry-standard pay and for entry-level employees and low-ball raises for promotions (which were few); company wonders why it can't hold on to good employees or get better talent into the building
    - In-house CMS system is constantly crashing, sometimes for hours at a time
    - Management consistently gaslights employees who complain by citing the company values
    - Company consistently pumps out band-aid solutions for issues rather than trying to find long-term solutions
    - Management blames everything wrong with the company on its being a start-up even though it's over eight years old

Advice to Management

- Listen to employees and try to see things from their perspective; work with them to develop solutions rather than hiding behind the company values and shutting out all cristicism
    - When nothing changes, don't be surprised when people leave.

"An Okay Place to Work"

Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Seattle, WA

I worked at zulily full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to collaborate with team members and cross divisionally, good culture, okay PTO (esp if grandfathered in), good entry level way to segue into corporate world, subsidized bus pass and convenient location on the water, Stabucks in building

Cons

multi billion dollar company with a forever 'startup mentality' (aka you work a lot with no perks, but there's lime green carpets!) , no clear way to get a promotion unless you're a huge self promoter (zulily-- this isn't doing you any favors), compensation a bit laughable, inconsistent management

Advice to Management

Open your eyes!

Zulily does attract decent to great talent. My experience was, this wasn't tapped into nearly to its' potential. I witnessed a constant cycle of outspoken, headstrong assistant buyers hired on with the near immediate intention of getting promoted. While there's nothing wrong with this approach, I can assure promoting nearly ANY of the tenured (3+ years) assistant buyers would yield you better results, more fluidity within the merch org, as well a less hostile work environment.

"If you like being treated like literal human garbage...."

I worked at zulily full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You work with some cool people. That is the only redeeming factor.

Cons

You will not be paid on par with what you should be.

You will not be treated as an adult.

You will not be treated as a human.

Your supervisors will use illegal methods of keeping you below 40 hours per week. This is the environment management fosters. Keep costs low no matter what. The only reason they fired one of the supervisors was because they had an official employee complaint about multiple instances of this happening from multiple employees.

HR is an absolute joke with nepotism up the rear.

Speaking of HR, apparently if you want to move up in the company you just have sleep with upper management. The position the position upper management is in now is...ironic.

HR will ignore your valid and verifiable complaints. Your exit interview will be wasted. Every major complaint that was presented was met with “yeah we know”. Helpful.

Benefits are a joke. There is no PPO plan and only an HSA plan, which if you are 18, never had a health issue and can predict your future health with 100% accuracy, is fine.

The CEO left because he knew it's on the downward track.

The stock is in the dumps because investors see the company as a gimmick.

Merchandising, Studio and Marketing are in such disarray that they cannot keep midlevel managers and VPs to save their lives.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to management. They have been made aware of the issues with each employee that leaves. I have no advice for HR. They have also been made aware of the issues with each employee that leaves. My advice is to YOU, the potential employee: run. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. This is not a careers stepping stone (a phrase you will be told when you complain). This is a trap. This is a nightmare. You will be degraded. You will hate your life. You will come home miserable everyday. And the worst part? No company will look upon your time at zulily favorably. Avoid at all costs.

"Wishy-washy Management"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer/Production Artist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer/Production Artist in Seattle, WA

I worked at zulily full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Nice location
    -Good view
    -Cafeteria
    -Sometimes there was free food

Cons

-management is constantly coming and going, rarely did a manager/supervisor stay in a role for 3 months before being "promoted" or leaving the company.

-supervisor was looking out for themselves and if an employee did something wrong, there is no warning before being dragged into a meeting with HR

-hourly employees are watched like a hawk to see if they screw up their timecards— god forbid you actually do and are secreted away to a surprise meeting with HR where they decide you've committed a capital offense

-the turn over rate is very high for designers; most likely due to the fact that you spend 70% of your time waiting around for work to do (even asking after a thousand times) and the other 30% is spent making graphics in an extreme time crunch because no one knows what is going on

-management structure on the different teams is constantly changing depending on who's the new supervisor and what their mood for the day is

-very clique-y environment; if you don't fit exactly in the mold the company has built for it's employees, it's very likely you will not be a favorite and have a target put on your back. Once you have a target, they will look for any tiny thing to get rid of you

Advice to Management

Look for actual leaders to place into management positions, not people that were put into these roles because they have a lot of friends in zulily. Take care of your hourly employees, they do a lot of the grunt work and are constantly being taken advantage of; usually it's being last pick for time off requests or having 8,000 last minute projects dumped on them. Get your employees better benefits, it wouldn't kill you to make sure their health and well-being are looked after— it might even make them happier and more productive.