zulily Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
zulily CEO Darrell Cavens
Darrell Cavens

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The culture is fast paced and exciting (in 51 reviews)

• Work/life balance is relatively good (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance could be better (in 43 reviews)

• Little to no communication company wide (in 15 reviews)

"Editorial Photographer"

Current Employee - Editorial Photographer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Editorial Photographer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work with a lot of fun people. Great place to learn an abundance of new skills.

Cons

Bonus program is skewed and isn't given to those who necessarily deserve it. As a photographer vertical growth is limiting given there are only really two routes to go in the realm of photography.

Advice to Management

Compensate your employees closer to industry standards. Many people in the industry frown upon zulily as it devalues stylists and photographers.

"You make better money at service industry"

Former Employee - Data Entry Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Data Entry Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at zulily full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great building and location. The cafeteria was awesome and not too overpriced. The sales of samples were great. People are very nice.

Cons

I guess the motto of the company is to pass the savings to Mom and that includes your salary. I negotiated hard with hr and they budged by quarters not dollars.

Advice to Management

Data entry specialists make the events teams run. You can't operate this job like it's a meat grinder for various human beings to come in and get worked through.

"Fun place to work but low pay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at zulily full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone that works here is pretty friendly and it's a very laid back environment. Since it is still a growing company you are able to have input into ways of making your job easier and they are coming up with new positions weekly. The company parties are a nice way to get to know people who might work in different department too.

Cons

Some weeks you can't keep up with the workload if people are on vacation or out sick and other weeks there isn't anything to do. In my department people liked to pass off the work so that they could leave early. There were too many meetings that could've been an email.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better and they will be more likely to stick around longer.

4. "Warehouse associate"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Bethlehem, PA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Bethlehem, PA

I worked at zulily full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best thing about working at zulily is that you have 3 days off in a row since shifts are 10 hours long. Quarterly "thank you" lunches where they have BBQ (2 co-workers were vegan and the GM went out of his way to get them Boca burgers) and pizza parties. The warehouse recently had A.C. units installed, so the temperature is more comfortable then not.

Cons

BEWARE: THE ZULILY WAREHOUSE IN BETHLEHEM, PA IS BRAND NEW! Meaning, everyone is new. New managers, fresh out of college with zero life experience.

Liked working at Amazon but don't want to work at Amazon? Zulily is for you. They've basically copied and pasted an Amazon warehouse and added their name.
    The problem with this is that ZULILY IS NOT AMAZON. You have to remember it's just another retailer. Steady hours are only between October and December, but between January and August there is no work. They VTO Every day and start looking for any excuse to fire you. And if they don't vto it's only because you have to completely undo weeks of work only to do it in a slightly different way.

One of the things they like to say about themselves is they "think outside the box." But they don't. Companies who constantly say, "its the same at any other warehouse-" do not think outside the box. They like to TELL, not SHOW.

I was having issues with something and tried to get help from human resources. However, half of the hr reps in the building have a "No can do" attitude, especially the two on top. You ask them for help with something and they say, "come back later", or, "ill find you." I don't expect you to drop everything and help me, unless you're literally just standing around. And when they finally do get back to you, it's like they're excited to tell you "Sorry there's nothing we can do." I tried to work with them for 3 weeks about a problem I was having. One person in the office suggested i apply for a personal leave. HR denied my application and told me to apply for medical leave. I Called the company they affiliate with and they told me to apply for a personal leave and on and on and on the cycle went until my husband said he would rather I quit than continue working for them.

Advice to Management

Get your act together, and learn to communicate. The whole building will fail unless you do this.

HR needs to start acting like a resource for humans, and actually help when they can. Drop the two with a no-can-do attitude and promote Erin and Jay. Employee satisfaction rates will skyrocket
    Also, find a better way to do overtime instead of giving us 4 months of VTO and then give mandatory overtime out of the blue.

5. "Don't work here"

I worked at zulily full-time

Pros

There are no pros here

Cons

They treat everyone except management like they don't matter.

"High Performers Beware"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The greatest, most wonderful people you'll ever meet. You'll connect wih people here that you truly will enjoy working with and will make lifelong friendhships and networks. Schedule is flexible for most positions, dress code is casual and there are plenty of fun and snazzy company wide and team parties. The CEO is kind, friendly and approachable. Upper management is equally as approachable, which is refreshing.

Cons

Expectations for some employees are extremely high, while extremely low for others in the same role. No real career path, no diversity initiatives in place and lower than market salaries in most areas. Even if you're a top performer, no one can give you a straight answer on what you need to do to be promoted, yet they will continue to pile on work if you're efficient and good at what you do. Turnover here is astronomical! Prepare to be the senior person and SME on your team within a matter of months. Some employees give 150%, some give 50% and that's accepted here. Top performers ultimately burn out and leave, leaving the teams in a state of chaos with no direction. Creates low morale for those who believe in this company and it's amazing values and can alienate those who are actually here to you know, WORK and make a difference.

Advice to Management

Value and reward your top performers immediately to raise the bar. Look at compensation within teams and take a look at equity based on experience and contributions. Proactively make adjustments without prompting. This would help with retention. Reward people that want to be here and who go above and beyond. Don't be afraid to give honest development feedback to those that aren't performing. No need to tiptoe around this conversation. You will only find yourself with a subpar team and back at square one once your work horses find greener pastures. Address turnover immediately!

7. "Warehouse Associate"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Reno, NV

I have been working at zulily full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No pros. All cons. Says it all.

Cons

Advice to Management

be more competitive with compensation and benefits. Treat your employees like people and not like robots. It should always be the customer comes first. Also should be quality over quantity.

8. "Stay Away"

I worked at zulily full-time

Pros

Lunch - Food truck schedule

Cons

I dislike anything phony or fake. Phony describes Zulily perfectly. During the interview process they talk about how it's an open environment to share ideas, there's no such thing as a bad idea... until your boss doesn't like one of your ideas or an answer to her question. The office environment reminds me of high school. There were popular kids at their own table and unpopular kids at their own table. Zulily supervisors and managers are the unpopular kids who now have power and authority and they are exacting their revenge for how they were treated in high school.

They talk about their commitment to the customer, all customers are called mom male or female, but google Zulily customer service complaints. Many of the people customers complain about are or were former supervisors. They should replace 90% of the supervisors and managers and get people in place who know what they are doing.

Just stay away.

Advice to Management

Teach your management staff to follow company ideas or change your message.

"Best job I ever had."

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Seattle, WA

I worked at zulily full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

zulily was one of the best jobs I ever had. zulily is a great place if you are comfortable taking your own initiative and you have the right boss. I got to try new things all the time and really learned a lot.

Cons

It's really hard to keep growing your numbers when the goals keep moving. It's even harder when the back end systems don't grow along with the rest of the company.

Advice to Management

I would look at how you compensate people, and I would reevaluate the health benefits.

10. "Software Engineer"

I worked at zulily full-time

Pros

Smart people and good environment.

Cons

Management team changed fast, people come and go a lot.
    Cafeteria is so expensive and food is bad.