zulily Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
zulily CEO Darrell Cavens
Darrell Cavens

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance could be better (in 40 reviews)

• little to no mobility within the company (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Exciting place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Seattle, WA

Pros

* Varies by department, obviously, but the management is smart and actively engaged in nurturing talent and pushing their employees.
    * the values don't lie when they talk about moving fast, you will not have time to be bored.
    * Tied in with the above, zulily is aggressive about being on the cutting edge of research and development in the retail space.

Cons

* The pace and demand of the work can lead to very long hours
    * As much as I like this company, the benefits are trash compared to much of the industry.

Advice to Management

Utilize the institutional knowledge that is available in the people who have been here since the beginning. Don't lose sights of zulily's roots as the company grows.

zulily Response

Aug 22, 2016 – CMO

Thanks for your feedback! At zulily, we aspire to provide employees with opportunities to share feedback and ideas so that together, we can keep the company ahead of the competition and a great ... More

"I recently made the jump from a large Redmond based software company to the Zu and am thrilled with my descision!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

My favorite thing about Zulily is the ability to truly have an impact on the success of the business. I have a direct line of sight to the impact my efforts are making.

Cons

I anticipate some growing pains. Zulily seems to be right at the tipping point of moving from a very small company to a mid-size organization. Along with that growth there will likely be necesary structure and process implementation etc that may be a difficult transistion for folks who are used to operating in the nimble and agile environment a smaller group of employees can offer.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and hold on to your hats!

3. "zulily is a wonderful place to work. I love my job...."

Current Employee - Buyer in Seattle, WA

Pros

There is an incredible excitement and buzz in the office that is contagious. The level of talented associates is beyond any place I have ever worked which makes the job so much fun. The environment is professional yet casual and the teams work really hard. I truly can't wait to go to work every day.

Cons

There is not enough time in the day to get everything done.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I love that we celebrate the wins big or small. Thank-You for letting me be part of this amazing company.

"Energetic, fun, and hard working environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Employees have the ability to make changes in the overall atmosphere here. Squeaky wheels get the grease. This is a place where people are only a click or two away from our Chief Executives - our voices are heard.
    Great CEO and Founders with extremely relevant experience and a history of start-up success.
    We are all smart and hard-working people
    I have flexible working hours - coming in when I need to for the core hours of the day and leaving when I need to pick up the kids or go to a T-Ball game. I love having the opportunity to manage my own day.

Cons

The bar is high here, so if you are not used to managing your own efficiency, it may take a little longer to hit your stride. We have grown extremely quickly (which is a GREAT thing!) and are now at the tipping point between the "Mom and Pop feel" and the structuring needed for a mid-sized start-up company. The "mom and pop" feel is something that is hard to give up, especially for the folks who have been here from the beginning. Currently, everybody seems to be on the same page with our growth and the needs for more structure. Now is an excellent time for opportunity with the implementation of a new layer of management, which has created smaller teams, offering more focus along with more effective leadership. Maybe knowing that we all really do have a voice at zulily has not been properly communicated in the past, but it is absolutely being proven now, especially with our most recent initiatives.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees and continue making the positive augmentations as of late! We love that our ideas are listened to and seriously considered.

6. "I love Zulily"

I have been working at zulily full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunitiy to become an expert in the flash sale biz. 5 years from now when the ecommerce sub-set is booming, I will be one of a few with 5 years of experience!!

Cons

Rapid growth is hard to manage and keep up with.

Advice to Management

Invest in managers.

"LOVE working at zulily!"

I have been working at zulily full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- good communication with management
    - great training program
    - good pay
    - flexible schedule

Cons

- is a bit "clicky", but that's not zulily's fault. It just happens in work places.
    - a few too many meetings

Advice to Management

Be a little more open to ideas other than managements.

8. "An energetic, dynamic place to work with lots of room for growth."

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-energetic, fast paced atmosphere
    -encouraging environment
    -numerous opportunities, lots of room for growth
    -constant changing environment allows for your ideas to be heard and recognizes.

Cons

-not a lot of structure for raises and promotions

"Great tech team"

Current Employee - Tech in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Tech in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Devs own their solutions end-to-end - design, build, test, and release
    Tons of projects that make a difference when launched
    Ability to build high-scale, complex systems from the ground up
    Lots of customers means rapid growth
    Input into the features is expected from everyone

Cons

Ownership of solutions means responsibility and support
    Lots of customers means the pace is fast
    Not a good place to develop if you want a formal waterfall spec and a PM to manage you

"Fun, gratifying, challenging, exhilarating"

Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing place to work with really talented people from diverse backgrounds. Merit-based company with lots of opportunity to learn, grow, and excel.

Cons

If you don't like working hard, dealing with pressure, taking on new tasks, or being challenged, zulily is not the place for you. Otherwise, it's an incredible place to work with a fun work hard/play hard culture.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower employees and give employees room to grow. I have the utmost respect for Darrell Cavens (CEO) and consider it a privilege to work for him. I came from a big company before working at zulily and interacted frequently with upper-level VPs and CEOs of business units, but I had never met a leader as exceptional as Darrell - not even close.

11. "Best place I've ever worked"

I have been working at zulily full-time (More than a year)

Pros

So much opportunity - zulily is growing very quickly. While that does mean some growing pains from time to time (and outgrowing spaces), it also means that every day is exciting and there's always something new around the bend. All of this growth is happening because we're building something great.

Leadership team - all of the most senior people at zulily are incredibly smart and great at what they do. They're also humble and accessible.

Unique copmany - I'm not aware of another company that's so strong as a retailer, an online presence and a tech company all at once. zulily is a great place for people who want to work and grow in a variety of roles, from developers to buyers to marketers to analysts to photographers.

Cons

The company is still only three years old. That's one of my favorite things about it, but that also means there are some wheels left to be invented. It's a great "problem" to have if you're the kind of person who's interested in innovation.