zulily Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
zulily CEO Darrell Cavens
Darrell Cavens

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance could be better (in 40 reviews)

• It is a good line on your resume but you will have to suffer low pay for a year or more to move on (in 27 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Exciting place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Seattle, WA

Pros

* Varies by department, obviously, but the management is smart and actively engaged in nurturing talent and pushing their employees.
    * the values don't lie when they talk about moving fast, you will not have time to be bored.
    * Tied in with the above, zulily is aggressive about being on the cutting edge of research and development in the retail space.

Cons

* The pace and demand of the work can lead to very long hours
    * As much as I like this company, the benefits are trash compared to much of the industry.

Advice to Management

Utilize the institutional knowledge that is available in the people who have been here since the beginning. Don't lose sights of zulily's roots as the company grows.

zulily Response

Aug 22, 2016 – CMO

Thanks for your feedback! At zulily, we aspire to provide employees with opportunities to share feedback and ideas so that together, we can keep the company ahead of the competition and a great ... More

2. "Mostly enjoyable, but has it's downsides."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Gahanna, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Gahanna, OH

I have been working at zulily full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are pleasant, I enjoy my supervisors, and about half of the customers that I encounter are kind enough.

Cons

Due to certain issues with the company, we tend to receive many escalated calls and emails. Usually, they are tolerable, but occasionally you'll get customers who literally threaten you personally because you're the one on the phone with them. The workload isn't very evenly distributed, but that is not the fault of the supervisors. They do what they can, it's the other employees that aren't always on top of their stuff so that can create more work/stress for everyone.

Advice to Management

Hire more people, work on employee retention, pay more attention to quality control in the FC's and get more people on QA in the call center's so that we can coach representatives IN REAL TIME on things that are SERIOUS issues.

3. "Data Entry Specialist"

Current Employee - Data Entry Specialist in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Data Entry Specialist in Columbus, OH

I have been working at zulily full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Freedom to customize hours
    Casual attire
    Friendly employees and a tight knit sense of community
    Primarily younger employees
    401k
    2 weeks PTO
    Food trucks come to the office 2-3 times per week

Cons

Pay
    Lack of training
    PTO must be accrued over time
    Mandatory unpaid 30 minute lunch break
    A generally unorganized work environment

Advice to Management

This is a rapidly growing company in a very competitive environment . The fast pace and constant change make it difficult for management to successfully and effectively train new employees

5. "Sample processor"

Current Employee - Sample Processor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sample Processor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Zulily culture is causal and fun. We work hard and play harder.

Cons

The internal hiring process is a bit frustrating. They take external hires before giving internal hires a chance.

Advice to Management

Build up your team so they are ready to transition into a higher role.

6. "zulily marketing is always pushing the boundaries of what's possible..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time

Pros

- Fast paced and innovative
    - Full autonomy to test and try new things (resources of a big company and the speed/appetite of a start-up)
    - Very little bureaucracy and high transperancy

Cons

- Benefits can be better (at least a couple of years behind industry standards)

Advice to Management

Have a longer-term strategy and be disciplined about working towards it!

7. "Warehouse Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lockbourne, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lockbourne, OH

I worked at zulily full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work place is really diverse and you will meet lot of friendly employees.

Cons

The lunch break are short.

"A Company for Execs, Not Moms"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at zulily full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is, hands down, a place where you will meet some of the best people you will ever encounter in your life. They will become a second family to you.

Cons

zulily is a company that claims over and over again that they work for moms everywhere. They do not. The only people zulily works for is everyone on the executive level. Employees are severely underpaid when compared to like jobs in the area, no matter what department you wind up in.The work isn't hard, but all the executives do is put pressure on everyone below them to churn out an absurd amount of useless products day after day, no matter how off-brand it may be. They will even go so far as to run Princess Leia merchandise alongside David Bowie t-shirts days after the death of Carrie Fischer because one of the executives told everyone to despite complaints from dozens of employees on every level.

Your skills are sacrificed for the sake of making goals every day, and no matter how busy your department is, everyone is expected to make sure that they can still drop everything because 100 pairs of toddler shoes just have to be on the site in less than 12 hours despite everyone already being over their daily workload and it being 4:45 PM. If you even say that it may not be possible, someone will throw a hissy fit or send one of many passive-aggressive emails until they get their way. Other departments have control over an area of the company they shouldn't be in control of, and competition and headbutting between departments is encouraged by the CEO as opposed to each coming together to work like a well-oiled machine.

It's also very funny that zulily claims over and over again that they are a company for moms, but their parental policies are pretty terrible. You would think a company like this would love having family-oriented people working for them, but most people that work here have no kids or are planning to any time soon.

All of this though boils down to executive-level management that is so out of touch with almost every area of the company. When employees rally together for more benefits, they take another away to offset the cost. Employees are treated as numbers. I understand a company is around to make money, but the amount of upper-level greed at zulily is disgustingly palpable. It's a company great for young, recent grads for a couple of months, but it burns out people quick. Before you ever begin to realize it, you're incredibly unhappy with how your time and talent are being spent and begin to question your abilities as a person.

Advice to Management

I cannot stress enough how the executives need to get their crap together. Stop caring about your Teslas and realize that quality can indeed be better than quantity. Take some time to go to departments you don't even give a second glance to and see what their day is like, ask them what they think can be improved. Make an effort to actually keep people around. This may come as a shock, but to actually make money you may have to spend more money than you want. It shouldn't be a problem though because at every all-company meeting you brag about all the revenue you make to your severely underpaid employees.

9. "Satisfied."

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/life balance is relatively good. Experience is limited to less than 1 year, but management prioritizes career growth. Lots of opportunity for visibility with C-level execs.

Cons

Systems are limited and can make simple tasks complex. Lots of ambiguity (could also be a pro) and projects can often center around bandaids/short term fixes.

"Meh."

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual work environment, somewhat flexible scheduling options, sample sales.

Cons

Salary - I cannot think of a single employee here who isn't grossly underpaid, except management of course. Upper management is sadly removed from the business operations. Goals are unrealistic, but if they are met, there is little recognition.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people. This isn't an issue revolving "growth opportunities" like management likes to think it is. The salaries are awful. Benefits are AWFUL (I have a 2300 deductible).

"Copywriter"

Former Employee - Copywriter in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Copywriter in Columbus, OH

I worked at zulily full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits for pretty cheap.

Food truck Thursdays.

Parties--but don't be fooled. The parties usually pose as smoke and mirrors for the web of lies that is zulily.

Cons

Racism and Bigotry with a Side of Disrespect

I could go on for days about my horrible experience at zulily, but I will try to keep it concise. Management is awful and the positions are used for sheer tyranny. The only point of my manager's employment is for health insurance for her kids while she moonlights as the owner of crossfit gym. Her day job consists of stand-up comedy bits about her utter ignorance of the English language. This is particularly unfunny because she manages editors and writers. She went out of her way to harass me from the day she started. She and the upper management are out-right bigoted racists.

Deets

The pay is whooping $15.38/hr. No one ever gets the bonus--which maps out to be $200, so don't hold your breath. Micro management is at an all time high--especially from the premature balding, old-school vest wearing management. If you're not a Catholic straight white man, forget about it! The team lead is a community college grad with an associates degree who doesn't know the difference between compound and complex sentences. She's a joke.

Don't bother talking to HR. They're liars. They will claim there's an open-door policy only to document everything you say and report it back to your boss. Ironically, a couple of my colleagues reported the mistreatment happening to me, yet HR never tried to stop it or even ask me about it.

If you get this job use it as a stepping stone to get in the industry. As soon as you get hired update your LinkedIn and immediately start applying elsewhere. We had a guy leave after just 4 weeks once. He was smart. There are so many copy jobs in Columbus where you start off making more than double that of zulily. Just believe in yourself!

Advice to Management

There's really no hope for you. Clean house and start over with new management who actually respects and listens to it's employees. At very least, hire someone with a writing background to manage your writers...not an idiot who was the manager of a store in the mall and has more interest in her gym start up. Blah!