More professionals are working in a remote or hybrid environment, which prompted Glassdoor to wonder what employees expect from the workplace moving forward. Partnering with The Harris Poll, Glassdoor asked working professionals how they felt about their careers and what they would like to see as remote and hybrid roles become more prominent.
Professionals Expect Flexibility in Where They Work
Nearly half (45%) of employees expect to work hybrid or full-time remotely going forward.
- 22% of employees expect to work hybrid
- 23% of employees expect to work full-time remotely
- 49% of employees expect to work full-time on-site or in an office
Employees Currently Feel Isolated In Their Careers and From Coworkers
Nearly half (48%) of employees have felt isolated from coworkers during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Due to a lack of in-person connection during the COVID-19 pandemic, 42% of employees have felt their career stall.
- 2 in 5 (40%) employees have withheld work-related questions due to feeling uncomfortable or self-conscious when talking with coworkers
- 49% of employees ages 18–34 have withheld work-related questions due to feeling uncomfortable or self-conscious
- 23% employees regret accepting their current job
- 30% of employees ages 18-34 regret accepting their current job.
- 53% of employees ages 18-34 plan to search for a new job in the next 12 months.
Professionals Want More Community and Career Information
Over half (56%) of employees wish they had a community where they could get career advice for how to deal with problems at work, and more than two-thirds (69%) of employees wish they were able to learn more about the team they would be working with when deciding to accept a job.
- 64% of employees wish they had a way to ask questions of industry peers around the country.
- 65% of employees would be more likely to ask industry peers for career advice if they could do so anonymously.
- 7 in 10 (70%) employees think conversations about salary should be more transparent among professionals.
- 44% of employees plan to search for a new job in the next 12 months.
This survey was conducted online within the United States by The Harris Poll on behalf of Glassdoor between August 12-16, 2021 among 1,058 adults ages 18+ who are employed full-time, part-time or self-employed. This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated. For complete survey methodology, including weighting variables and subgroup sample sizes, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.